Into the Cincoverse - The Cinco de Mayo EU Thread and Wikibox Repository

Aviation seems to have quite a bit of support here, so I'll mull that. I have a rough idea of a Big Five commercial air manufacturers (two from US and one German, but can't decide who to make the Russian one and what country den femte comes from, as we'd say in Sweden), and don't know that much about military aviation to feel comfortable expanding on that too much.

Could just do more airport updates and a few airlines, I guess haha. I haven't decided on who the US legacy carriers are yet either!
Maybe it is my 18 years working in a prison, but I would be interested in Southern prison farms and convict leasing. Are free blacks and freedmen who commit crimes sentenced back into slavery?
In the novel I once started from which many ideas for TTL are cribbed, I had black prisoners in a separate prison system based heavily around prison farms and convict leasing while white criminals were in a much nicer, cleaner parallel corrections system (not Scandinavian prisons, exactly, but probably closer to the relatively laid-back prison culture we have here in the PNW - I've had friends do time so I'm somewhat familiar with their experiences). I could definitely expand on that thinking a bit in here.

Aviation seems to have quite a bit of support here, so I'll mull that. I have a rough idea of a Big Five commercial air manufacturers (two from US and one German, but can't decide who to make the Russian one and what country den femte comes from, as we'd say in Sweden), and don't know that much about military aviation to feel comfortable expanding on that too much.

Could just do more airport updates and a few airlines, I guess haha. I haven't decided on who the US legacy carriers are yet either!

In the novel I once started from which many ideas for TTL are cribbed, I had black prisoners in a separate prison system based heavily around prison farms and convict leasing while white criminals were in a much nicer, cleaner parallel corrections system (not Scandinavian prisons, exactly, but probably closer to the relatively laid-back prison culture we have here in the PNW - I've had friends do time so I'm somewhat familiar with their experiences). I could definitely expand on that thinking a bit in here.
The US having a full flag carrier would be an interesting idea to explore. ITTL it seems the federal government is more economically interventionist, so it might make sense.

Also for aircraft manufacturer names there has to be at least one that is [last name]-[last name] a la Lockheed-Martin or McDonnell-Douglas.

The US having a full flag carrier would be an interesting idea to explore. ITTL it seems the federal government is more economically interventionist, so it might make sense.

Also for aircraft manufacturer names there has to be at least one that is [last name]-[last name] a la Lockheed-Martin or McDonnell-Douglas.
Yeah, part of me is tempted to just make Pan Am an *actual* flag carrier and let Juan Trippe just run the airline industry at his leisure like a Jay Gould of the skies with some smaller competitors along with LCCs

Oh, absolutely. Lockheed-Douglas, anyone? 🙃

Sorry if this has already been asked, but would the potential (I guess we don't know whether Texas will be a presidential government or not) future leaders of Texas be counting their ordinal position including the first Texan Republic? Like is President McConoughey president #20 (random number) or would he be #24, counting Mirabeau Lamar, Sam Houston, etc?

Sorry if this has already been asked, but would the potential (I guess we don't know whether Texas will be a presidential government or not) future leaders of Texas be counting their ordinal position including the first Texan Republic? Like is President McConoughey president #20 (random number) or would he be #24, counting Mirabeau Lamar, Sam Houston, etc?
Fair question! I'm not sure how other governments have handled situations like this, but there is a certain ideological sense in going with the old numbers and continuing on.
I'd really love to see anything about media- any popular media franchises across the world we could take a look at?
I have a few things in mind here to use, certainly.

Fair question! I'm not sure how other governments have handled situations like this, but there is a certain ideological sense in going with the old numbers and continuing on.

I'd say continue from the original count. I'm reminded of the first meeting of the modern Scottish Parliament in centuries, and the first speaker stated that they were effectively back from a long recess ;)

My $0.02 as a Texan is that they're considered presidents of the First Republic, with the Second Republic being an entirely different entity, since one got annexed and wasn't just a continuation of the last government, like in France. A "redo", if you will. Thus, someone like James Hogg or whoever is the President of Texas when it becomes independent again will be the first President of the Second Republic, while Sam Houston was the first President of the First Republic

Esther Puakela Kiaʻāina
Esther Puakela Kiaʻāina (born July 16, 1963) is a Hawaiian politician who since October 2022 has served as the Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Hawai'i. Her electoral victory in the 2022 Hawaiian general election at the head of the Hawai'i Hou (Hawaiian Renewal) coalition of parties brought the long-ruling Democratic People's Party (HDPP) back to power eight years after its historic defeat in the 2014 elections. Kiaʻāina, regarded as a moderate within the HDPP and its more right-wing coalition partners, was regarded as part of the "New Generation" of the party in the late 2000s as several men close to long-serving Prime Minister Daniel Akaka were quietly encouraged to retire, particularly after the HDPP's near-defeat in 2009. In 2012, she was given the Fisheries ministerial portfolio, and a year later promoted to the Transport Ministry, in which she successfully oversaw the opening of the HART metro system connecting downtown Honolulu to the Aloha Stadium. In the month-long John Waihee Cabinet, she served as Minister of Defense. Following the victory of the Movement for Hawaiian Democracy, Kiaʻāina resigned from Parliament and practiced law with the Bank of Hawai'i and later was general counsel to the Bureau of Tourism. She returned to Parliament in the 2018 elections and then emerged as leader of the HDPP in November of 2020 after a leadership spill to replace placeholder Ann Kobayashi. Kiaʻāina struck a deal with three other minor parties of the center, center-right and far-right to form Hawai'i Hou in March of 2021, very nearly giving them a majority in the Parliament; at the elections due for October 2022, the incumbent Demokalaka coalition was narrowly defeated by Hawai'i Hou and the government of Ikaika Anderson resigned the day following the election; Kiaʻāina announced that the Enviromental Protection Party would provide her minority coalition confidence-and-supply in return for a six-point policy program promise and her Cabinet took office on October 8th.

Kiaʻāina's triumph marked the return of the illiberal HDPP to power eight years after the Hawaiian Spring, and some NGOs and watchdog groups have expressed concerns about the influence of Hawaiian chieftains, clergy, and business groups on her Cabinet, which includes both the right-wing populist-nativist party Hawai'i First as well as the national-conservative, Japanophile People's Rally for Hawai'i which is regarded by the British Foreign Office as being closely associated with the Japanese far-right, organized crime syndicates and Mitsubishi zaibatsu, which has always had tremendous influence in Hawai'i. Kiaʻāina has dismissed many of those concerns as "international meddling" and has suggested that the economic development of her term will largely quiet her critics and has noted her commitment to a number of socially liberal causes, including support for Hawai'i's gay community and legislation to enforce equal rights for women and haole minorities.

1676303228091.png

2022 World Series
The 2022 MLB World Series was the championship series of the 2022 Major League Baseball season. It was the 117th edition of the World Series, a best of seven playoff between the American League (AL) champion Kansas City Athletics and the National League (NL) champion New York Giants. In a showdown of the two previous World Series champions (New York in 2020, Kansas City in 2021), the Giants defeated the Athletics in six games to win their second title in three years and sixth in history. It was the second time these teams had met in the World Series; the Athletics had won the 1911 edition, also in six games, when the club was still located in Philadelphia. It was also only the second time that the two preceding World Series champions faced off, after the 1997 edition between the Cleveland Indians and Milwaukee Braves.

After falling behind 2-0 in the first two games at home, the Giants won four consecutive games including the deciding Game Six in Kansas City, with The Series also continued the dominance of the NL since the year 2000, with the NL having won 12 straight World Series from 2009 until the Athletics broke the streak the previous autumn and a total of 17 since the start of the new millennium. Giants center-fielder Mike Trout was awarded the World Series MVP, and Giants manager Dusty Baker earned his third MLB title at the age of 73, becoming the oldest World Series-winning manager in history, already one of only two to win the World Series with more than one club.

The Giants entered the postseason as the top seed in the National League for the third straight year, with the second-best record in the history of the club at 108-54 (also the best record in the MLB in 2022). In the NL Divisional Series (NLDS), they swept the wild-card Milwaukee Braves in three games and then proceeded to defeat second-seeded San Diego Padres in five games, 4-1, in the NL Championship Series (NLCS) to advance to their second World Series in three years. The Athletics entered the postseason as the second seed of the American League for a second straight year, having earned a record of 97-65. In the AL Divisional Series (ALDS), the Athletics fell into a 2-0 deficit to the third-seeded San Francisco Seals but won three consecutive elimination games, including two in San Francisco in a parallel of the World Series to come. They subsequently earned a place in the AL Championship Series (ALCS) against the top-seeded New York Yankees, whom they swept in four games in a massive upset.

1676744386514.png

Last edited:
UEFA Euro 2022
UEFA Euro 2022 was the 16th edition of the European Football Championship, branded as UEFA Euro, the quadrennial men's football tournament for Europe. It was held in Spain from June 10 - July 3 2022. Germany were the two-time defending champion, but were eliminated at the group stage. Netherlands won the tournament for the first time with a 1-0 victory over hosts Spain in the final at the Bernabeu Stadium in Madrid.

Spain had been chosen as the hosts in March of 2016 after a lengthy bidding process in which they beat out Hungary, Bohemia, a joint Sweden-Denmark bid and a joint Swiss-Austrian bid. Matches were hosted in ten stadia in nine cities: Madrid, Barcelona, Sevilla, Valencia, Bilbao, San Sebastian, Zaragoza, A Coruna, and Murcia. It was the second time Spain had hosted the finals, after the inaugural tournament in 1962, which was a major reason for its awarding at the sixty-year anniversary of their last hosting.

The tournament featured 16 sides in four groups after a qualification tournament and alternative qualification via the UEFA Nations League. Spain, the winningest side in Euro history, was regarded as co-favorites along with FIFA top-ranked side Italy and Netherlands, who had won the 2021 Nations League and were riding a 20-game unbeaten streak and were the only side in qualification to take full points. In the quarterfinals, Spain defeated Britain 1-0 while Netherlands on the opposite side of the bracket eliminated Bohemia; France, having placed first in her own group, defeated Portugal on penalties. Italy, meanwhile, was upset by the Cinderella run of Hungary, who had already pipped Germany to a spot in the quarters on goal difference, making it the second straight tournament after the 2020 FIFA World Cup in which top-ranked Italy was eliminated in the first knockout round despite winning all group stage games and having the best goal differential of the tournament. Spain defeated France in added time 1-0 again while after a scoreless draw, the Netherlands advanced to the final on penalties, and in the ensuing bronze medal match France defeated Hungary 3-0 at the Camp Nou in Barcelona.

Netherlands defeated Spain in added time with a Frenkie de Jong penalty at the 108th minute to win their first-ever Euro tournament in Madrid. Having lost three previous Euro finals, all by the same score of 1-0, including two finals to Spain (1978, 2002), the Oranje won their second major international trophy in addition to the 1976 World Cup on home soil. Frenkie de Jong had the most goals of the tournament with 6, while France's Olivier Giroud's efforts earned him the Player of the Tournament honors, the oldest player (35) to earn the distinction. This edition of the UEFA Euros was regarded as among the best in history for its wide-open nature, high scoring, and the return of Hungary as a footballing power as well as the at-last triumph of Netherlands at the Euros over its longstanding bete noire Spain.

UEFA Euro 2022.png

Last edited:
UEFA Euro 2022 - Group Results and Knockouts
Group A

Spain 7
Bohemia 7
Denmark 1
Russia 1

Group B

Netherlands 7
Britain 7
Croatia 3
Austria 0

Group C

France 7
Hungary 4
Germany 4
Norway 1

Group D

Italy 9
Portugal 6
Ireland 3
Greece 0

Knockouts:

Quarterfinals:

Spain 1-0 Britain
France 1-1* Portugal (4-3pen)
Netherlands 2-1 Bohemia
Italy 0-1 Hungary

Semifinals

Spain 1-0 France (aet)
Netherlands 0-0* Hungary (5-3pen)

Third Place

France 3-0 Hungary

Final

Spain 0-1 Netherlands

2022 British Columbia general election
The 2022 British Columbia general election was held on September 24, 2022 to elect the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia, the second-largest province in the Commonwealth of Canada. The election was called on August 16, 2022, to be held two weeks before the election's statutory deadline of October 8th. 91 single-member seats in the Legislative Assembly were up for re-election by method of single-transferable vote.

The 2018 general election had seen the Liberal-Reform coalition government of George Abbott defeated decisively in a landslide, with the governing centrist Liberals reduced to the third party behind their coalition partner, the right-populist Reform, who also lost seats. The Co-operative Commonwealth Federation of British Columbia (CCF-BC), led by former federal Cabinet minister Nathan Cullen, had earned 55 seats, their best result proportionately and in seat count since 2002's "Rankin Revolution." The Cullen government had been elected in large part due to concerns in BC about a slowing economy with unemployment increasing 45% over the course of 2018 (Canada entered the late 2010s recession earlier than most other developed countries), a cost-of-living crisis particularly attached to rising rents, automobile and health insurance co-payments, and a series of bribery and corruption scandals from the ruling Liberals in addition to a sense that Reform had pulled the governing coalition sharply to the right. To that end, the Cullen government embarked on delivering its ambitious electoral manifesto and raised the minimum wage by 25% in 2019 and by a further 10% in 2021, extended unemployment benefits, introduced a phased-in rise in British Columbia's novel carbon tax combined with the first-ever "carbon dividend" and introduced a new, simplified income tax reform. The Cullen government also put in place funding for new roads and bridges across the province, fully funded extensions to the SkyTrain rapid transit system in Greater Vancouver, and in June of 2021 earned the province the right to host the 2028 Winter Olympic Games.

The British Columbian economy remained stagnant, however, as the crucial trade partner United States entered recession in late 2019 and global equities entered a bear market in 2020 that would last late into the following year, limiting FDI in the province. Missteps by the Cullen Cabinet, such as a particularly infamous austerity policy cutting funding for universities and raising student fees while lowering total enrollment, emboldened the opposition, which had elected two new leaders - former MP Sukh Dhaliwal for the Liberals, who defeated several candidates to his right in the 2020 BC Liberal leadership election and was seen as moving his party back to the middle to appeal to suburbanites and wealthy but socially liberal Vancouver voters (the party's traditional base), while Reform's choice of John Rustad in mid-2019 was regarded as a shift further to the hard-right. A well-publicized spike in crime and strikes by teachers, transit workers and other public employees across the province in fall of 2021 led to the first polling lead by the Liberals in five years; however, an improving economic outlook, particularly throughout 2022, with falling energy and housing costs, good feelings after the securing of the Olympics in a less controversial and more consensus-oriented fashion than the 1986 edition, and a 30% reduction in unemployment over a twelve-month period boosted the CCF in time for the election.

The CCF won the election with a reduced majority of 48 seats, but dramatically outperformed their polling, winning 45% of the vote, their best percentage since 2002. While the Dhaliwal Liberals underperformed their polling, an efficient campaign focused on the Lower Mainland rather than contested seats in the Interior where Reform and the CCF competed more than doubled their seat count and made Dhaliwal the first-ever Indo-Canadian, and indeed visible-minority, Opposition Leader in Canadian history. Rustad's Reform lost seven seats, generally in the Lower Mainland, to become an even more Fraser Valley and BC Interior based party, and having lost its status of Official Opposition Rustad announced he would resign as party leader by mid-2023. The election's results were carefully scrutinized, being the second major provincial election (after Manitoba in 2021) in the wake of the 2020 federal election, which had seen the remarkable success of the left-nationalist, anti-globalization and anti-American Canadian Action Party; however, the CAP's BC affiliate did not earn a breakthrough, and the decline of the increasingly right-nationalist Reform suggested that the populist surge in Canada in the late 2010s may be abating.

2022 BC.png

Last edited:
A bit of a return to normalcy for Canada after flirting with various forms of populism the past decade or so.

I know you've got a long long time til you get there but I'm very curious to see how modern Canada reconciles with its Orange-tinted history.

A bit of a return to normalcy for Canada after flirting with various forms of populism the past decade or so.

I know you've got a long long time til you get there but I'm very curious to see how modern Canada reconciles with its Orange-tinted history.
That’s something I’ll be toying with in future updates for sure - since the Orangeism is a big part of what sees Quebec and the Maritimes exit. (I’ve settled on Rump Canada being Ontario and the West, which is a really fascinating dynamic)

I also need to bone up a bit on strong vs weak currency because currency crises are going to play a big part in Canada’s history