Inkscape and maps.

Does anyone know how to fix this when I do paint bucket?

The left is an example of what happens when I try to fill in something like the right. Does it have anything to do with the stroke?
It's not generally a good idea to use the paint bucket tool at all. When testing it, I found that the only way to get good results with it was to decrease the width of the lines you are filling in to a very low number (I used 0.05) before using it, and then increasing the width of the lines back to 1 (or more) after the area has been filled in.

IIRC I had Treshold set to 5, Grow/Shrink to 0.30 and Close Gaps to None. You should also make sure that the lines are in a layer above the one with the color. The initial result will still be very sloppy and inaccurate, but since the lines are thicker than they were when you filled them in, the inaccuracies will be covered up.

Fading like that isn't easy to do in Inkscape, though I believe it should be possible.

Try copying the subdivision's shape, pasting it in place, and change its colour to whatever you want the colour in the middle to be. Then using Inset (or Linked Offset or Dynamic Offset) to make it smaller, then apply some sort of blur or glow effect (they can be found under "Blur" and "Shadows and Glows" in the Filters drop-down menu). You should be able to achieve a similar effect, at least. :)

Hmm, seems a bit convoluted, but I'll keep it in mind. I found that I could modify the opacity to get a different but still desirable effect; gotta love that sepia tone :p

It's not generally a good idea to use the paint bucket tool at all. When testing it, I found that the only way to get good results with it was to decrease the width of the lines you are filling in to a very low number (I used 0.05) before using it, and then increasing the width of the lines back to 1 (or more) after the area has been filled in.

IIRC I had Treshold set to 5, Grow/Shrink to 0.30 and Close Gaps to None. You should also make sure that the lines are in a layer above the one with the color. The initial result will still be very sloppy and inaccurate, but since the lines are thicker than they were when you filled them in, the inaccuracies will be covered up.
Thank you for your help, but is there any other way to make the map colorful besides the paint bucket?

Krall

Banned
Thank you for your help, but is there any other way to make the map colorful besides the paint bucket?

You can use the Fill and Stroke panel (press "Ctrl + Shift + F" to bring it up) to set the fill colour of any shape or path. :)

@LSCatilina

This is gonna sound kinda weird, but is it okay if I repost this on another site with full credit and links to the original post? This is just an excellent tutorial.

Should this be pinned? No clue what board policy on that is, but it would be a shame if some of these tutorials and some of this advice just got buried under new threads.