Industrialized African Nation of Liberia: Lincoln emigrates the freed slaves.

Same basic situation as my initial post.

Underground railroad focuses on an emigration policy versus housing escaped slaves in the north. Slaves are transported to Canada, Haiti, and Liberia. The sucess of the Underground Railroad and the small scale emigration policy leads to greater acceptance of emigration within the pre ACW Free Black Community. The American Colonozation Society is larger, better funded, and more influencial that in OTL, and the emigration movement is more popular with northern abolitionists.

Between 1800 and 1850, a series of city-states are organized from the remains of the Pirate Kingdom of Madagascar. These city states, occupying the natural ports of Northern Madagascar, are occupied by the decendents of American and British Pirates, American merchants, and former lower class Southern Whites, who left during the days of King Cotton and huge slave labor plantations. Using their unique blend of nautical skill, barting abilities, and agricultural knowledge a strong society is formed. After a few skirmishes with the British and the French, each seeking territorial dominance over the area, a confederation is formed and the small nation of Plaintain is formed, named for the founder of the Pirate Kingdom, and hero of many battles versus various European powers seeking control of the Madagascar territory. Most of Europe refuses official recognition of this nation, but enjoy use of the main port and city, which is becoming a free market for goods from India, China, and Africa. The United States is the first major nation to recognize Plaintain, and maintains close ties as a majority of the citizens have come from her shores.

The ACW is won by the North, much like OTL. And again, Lincoln survives the assassination attempt, and makes it a priority of reconstruction to emigrate as many free blacks that are willing to go. The American Colonization Society considers many territories for the estimated 1,000,000 free blacks, and decides to transfer the bulk of them to their Liberia colony, since they had already aquired significant land from the natives, and a small city of Modovia had already been established. The ambassador from Plaintain makes a case for emigration to their nation, where their growth is limited by their small population. The additional distance to travel is considered a major issue and they are not seriously considered.

A key piece of Legislation after the ACW for reconstruction of the nation is the Southern Cotton Export Tax. This is a specific tax on sales of cotton from Southern ports to foreign nations, with the proceeds to fund the American Colonization Society (ACS). The purpose is twofold: To fund the emigration of willing free blacks, and to encourage trade between the North and South to allow Southern Plantations to avoid the tax.

By 1870 the ACS has already transported approximately 100,000 free blacks to Liberia, and is rapidly expanding their fleet to accomidate the 1.5 million on various waiting lists. By 1875 the ACS has moved an additional 1 million free blacks, without having spent adequate money to properly expand the infrastructure in and around Modovia. That same year, President Grant signs into law an act repealing the Southern Cotton Export Tax. The ACS finds itself with 1,000,000 free blacks in Liberia struggling to survive in the undeveloped land, at the brink of civil war over the limited resources of Modovia, with no additional revenue, but a large, capable fleet.

The nation of Plaintain comes to their rescue. At this point in time, their port and markets are the primary destination for gold, diamonds, and other raw materials from Africa, and are the primary market for various manufactured goods from England and the United States needed for development and exploration of Africa. They are willing to use their weath to assist the ACS in emigrating up to 500,000 free blacks from Liberia to Plaintain, to allow for development of new agriculture business, expansion of existing cities and ports, and for increased stability caused by a larger population, and in turn a larger military presence.

<I may expand tomorrow. I just wanted to get something out there while the idea is still fresh in my mind. Also, I know that having a significant white population move to Madagascar from the US is a real stretch.>

Just to add some emphasis to the discussions already on this thread about setting up an industrialised African nation somewhere other than OTL Liberia...

The best way to have Liberia industrialise or become a major success is to, well, not have it where OTL Liberia is. Or anywhere in West Africa, come to that. The climate and terrain are both barriers, but there's an even bigger one: disease.

The mortality rates of freed slaves who returned to Liberia were horrific. Really, really bad news. As in, up to half of them died in the first year after arriving, and a further quarter in the second year. By ten years after arrival, somewhere between 75-90% of the people who returned to Africa were dead. If you send a million former slaves to Liberia sometime during the 19th century, you might have a hundred thousand left ten years later. This doesn't start to change until quinine becomes popular, and even then the mortality rates are going to be very bad until you reach at least a 1950s level of medical technology. Maybe even later.

So, short version: pick somewhere else in Africa. Zanzibar has already been mentioned. Madagascar maybe too: I'm not sure about the disease environment there, but nothing on earth was worse than West Africa.

Don't forget the USCT factor

Well, when I did my American Hist paper on Lincoln and the Emancipation Proclamation back in my 2nd yr of uni, apparently 1 major reason by 1865 why he looked less favourably on emigrating freedmen to Liberia was due to the awesome contribution made by blacks in the likes of the 54th mass and USCT regts to winning the war. How could Lincoln have justified shipping off these members of the American pop to foreign shores when they'd just proved themselves so worthy in combat against a tenacious hateful foe ? Could there be any other potential POD for a bigger ACW-era outflux to Liberia then ?

BTW. there was also a thread last yr about the Congo as an alternative to Liberia as a settling ground for freed blacks.

That might be interesting, but I think that Madagascar might have had potential even without being a Pirate state....

Cmon, the pirate state angle is very romantic. Plus, I think Madagascar is one of the few places in the world that could have developed an unique nation in the 1800's without foreign domination.

Lincoln feared the long term impact on the nation of having a large free black class. He foresaw the racism, the divisions, the segregation that would come over the next 100 years. IMHO, he felt the nation would be better off moving forward without that free black class, and was willing to investigate attempts to achieve the goal. Again, I do not believe Lincoln would have ever done an emigration by force.