Indonesia ATL: The Presidency of Try Sutrisno (1997-)

201: Summit Season 2002 Part II
19th October 2002:
The morning saw State Secretary Edi Sudrajat in a press conference as he explained to the travelling media about the meeting which President Try Sutrisno and President of Algeria Abdelaziz Bouteflika had; both agreeing that Islamic nations should take a stronger stance against terrorism. The press corps, however, was more interested in the meeting Try was in the middle of having that morning with Prime Minister of India Atal Bihari Vajpayee and President of Brazil Fernando Henrique Cardoso. Accompanied by Minister of Foreign Affairs Ginandjar Kartasasmita, Indian Minister of External Affairs Yaswant Sinha, and Brazilian Minister of Foreign Affairs Celso Lafer the three leaders spoke about BRICI.

Cardoso was clearly the most enthusiastic about BRICI, Vajpayee “somewhat shares” Indonesia’s wariness about being in the same bloc as China but he sees the point of BRICI, saying that the five largest emerging economies should forge their own paths to growth and prosperity without being pressured to adopt certain policies. Try was the most cautious, asking why they could not advance their collective interests through the G-15 but agreeing in principle because having prudent economic policies should not be the same as being part of the Washington Consensus. Vajpayee answered Try’s question by saying that having Russia and China will add both economic and geopolitical weight to BRICI that the G-15 is not likely to have.

Though agreeing about BRICI, Cardoso and Vajpayee still had some difference about how it would work. Cardoso said that it would primarily be an economic organization while Vajpayee said that geopolitics is unavoidable saying that the message he got from Russia in favor of BRICI not only for the economics but also because it wants an alternative if things go awry with the G-8. Cardoso retorted that he does not mind BRICI being an alternative and that being an alternative is in fact the point of BRICI just as long as what President of Russia Yevgeny Primakov defines as things going awry with the G-8 does not involve military conflict.

By the time Cardoso, Vajpayee, and Try fronted the press, BRICI was another step closer to being realized. There was agreement that all five BRICI nations should meet after March 2003 to have a proper discussion about what this organization would be like. The reason of the timing is so that the new President of Brazil can take office, the Chinese Communist Party can complete its party and state leadership transition, and so that Indonesia can hold the 2003 MPR General Session.

“Do you think a President Tutut Soeharto will be interested in BRICI, Mr. President?” asked a member of the press to Try.

“You’ll have to ask that question to her yourself”, replied Try, inwardly recoiling at the idea of Tutut trotting around the globe.

When Cardoso departed, Try followed Vajpayee back into the meeting room to have their private meeting accompanied only by Ginandjar and Sinha. Edi was now free to join them.

Try began by expressing his relief that both India and Pakistan pulled back from their standoff earlier in the year. But this was just a prelude for the thanks which Try conveyed, and which he wanted to convey directly, for India allowing Shwe Mann and his men transitting in India en route to Indonesia. Try was so outspoken and effusive in his thanks that Edi thought Try was going to get down on his knees and give Vajpayee a sungkem.

Vajpayee smiled expressing first and foremost that he feels some guilt at instigating the events in Myanmar saying that it was because he was encouraging Than Shwe to side with Indonesia that Khin Nyunt launched his coup. He told Try to look on the bright side and make full use of Shwe Mann and the men that has come with him.

As for India’s stance on the matter, Vajpayee said that it was only once the situation with Pakistan settled down that he was able to explain the situation fully. Vajpayee emphasized to both the cabinet and Lok Sabha alike that Indonesia never intended for Shwe Mann to transit in India to minimize any negative reaction. Instead he focused on the fact that Myanmar had conducted a raid on Indian soil and has been able to deflect attention to that. Try once again expressed his thanks.

It was clear that the senior person in the room was Vajpayee, not only in terms of age but also in terms of diplomatic experience. Very delicately, he reminded Try of the message he sent months prior about how he wanted to see tangible benefits in India’s relationship with Indonesia. Vajpayee said that Try did not have to convince him that Indonesia is of strategic value to India but that “others in my country” still need to be convinced of Indonesia’s value especially after the Myanmarians transitted through India.

Try and Ginandjar countered by brandishing some pages outlining some potential areas where India and Indonesia could work together and be of benefit to India. Edi chuckled when he saw the impressed look on Vajpayee and Sinha’s faces as they realized that Indonesia was not expecting a free ride. One area identified where both sides agreed that Indonesia could benefit India was in regards to coal, with India seeking to increase coal imports to Indonesia to bridge the gap between India’s coal production and coal consumption.

“We would be thankful if we could make some progress in this area, Mr. President”, said Vajpayee as he shook hands with Try when the conversation was over “Our usual coal exporter will still be exporting coal our way but it has…er…found a more lucrative market.”

20th October 2002:
Looking very eager that Algeria got the opportunity to host such an event and to the applause of all the leaders in attendance, Bouteflika declared the G-15 Summit open. Speeches were made, highlighting the necessity of economic cooperation but invariably outlining each nation’s view of the Multipolar Moment and their reaction to the 9/11 attack. Try repeated the point he made to Cardoso and Vajpayee the previous day saying that one can be responsible economic managers without having to adhere “strictly” to certain policy prescriptions.

There was a lot of uncomfortable gazes Try’s way when Prime Minister of Malaysia Najib Razak made his speech calling for tolerance of expansionary fiscal policy or even of deficit spending because not “all nations can claim responsible economic management on the basis of not having to pay debt”. Try kept a poker face but sitting behind him Edi and Minister of Industry Siswono Yudohusodo had to bite their lips; especially when Najib said that Malaysia sees multipolarism to mean the struggle against hegemonic aspirations both on a “global and a regional level”.

For Try, it was the meeting on the sidelines that mattered. He, together with Wismoyo got to sit down with President of Sri Lanka Chandrika Kumaratunga and Sri Lankan Minister of Foreign Affairs Harindra Corea. There followed a harrowing tale as Kumaratunga spoke of the Tamil Tigers still running amuck in her country, conducting a terrorist attack on Sri Lanka’s international airport in July 2001, and then assassinating Prime Minister Ratnasiri Wickremanayake in the middle of an election campaign; this last event helping to barely push Kumaratunga’s party across the line on a sympathy. Try listened on as Kumaratunga spoke about the adverse effect that this rebellion had in the economy.

Though Kumaratunga’s predicament netted a deal to import more Pindad bullets to fill the Pindad assault rifles which had already arrived in Sri Lanka, Try looked sufficiently distraught that Wismoyo did not want to rejoice too much at the deal was just signed.

The next leader was also fighting rebels. Though Try and Minister of Economics and National Development Planning Dorodjatun Kuntjoro-Jakti talked with him about more bus rapid transit lines in other cities in Indonesia, President of Colombia Alvaro Uribe told a story of how he was pursuing a harder line against the FARC. He complained in particular that the United States should expand its anti-drug campaign to other nations around Colombia because that’s where FARC is getting money from for its campaign.

21st October 2002:
Breakfast saw Try sitting around the table with Bouteflika, President of Egypt Hosni Mubarak, President of Senegal Abdoulaye Wade, President of Nigeria Olesegun Obasanjo, President of Iran Muhammad Khatami, Najib Razak and President of Pakistan Aziz Khan who recently made the transition from chief executive to president.

Bouteflika had wanted a joint communique by the G-15’s Islamic nations on terrorism and fighting radicalism. What he got instead was a debate about the War on Terror with Najib and Aziz Khan combining and then demanding that the communique “also condemn” the United States-led War on Terror and how the War on Terror has led to suppression of “Muslims by Muslims”. Mubarak argued back that whether led by the United States or anybody else, or whether or not Muslims are involved in operations against radicals, the communique should not imply that taking action against terrorism is wrong.

The majority in the room was sympathetic to the idea that Islamic nations should be doing more to fight terrorism but Bouteflika wanted a consensus and he relented in the face of Najib and Aziz’ obstinancy by not issuing a communique.

Try looked unhappy when he and Edi stepped out of the meeting. Ginandjar, together with Minister of Trade Anthony Salim, fared better in their meeting with President of Peru Francisco Tudela. In addition to committing to opening an embassy in Lima, Indonesia agreed to provide market access for Peru’s Big Cola soft drink product in Indonesia in exchange for market access in Peru for Indonesian FMCGs.

The G-15 Summit thus came to an end with a joint communique calling for increased economic cooperation between member nations and for a path of growth that involves “responsible economic management without sacrificing social order and with due regard to each nation’s national interests”.

There were a lot of farewells. President of Venezuela Francisco Arias got a lot of attention from the other leaders; freshly elected, inaugurated, and who will be hosting the next G-15 Summit in Caracas after Venezuela backed out this year. In a corner of the conference room, Try posed with Najib, Tudela, President of Chile Ricardo Lagos, and President of Mexico Vicente Fox for pictures; Fox shaking hands warmly with each of them and telling them that he will see them at APEC later in the week.

Try then farewelled Bouteflika before returning to the hotel where he stayed. As everyone else in the delegation was packing up, Try sat down in the suite’s bed room with the doors closed. He was accompanied by Edi, Chief of BAKIN Ari Sudewo joined in from Jakarta through a secure line, and all three heard Chief of ABRI Intelligence Agency Amirul Isnaeni provide a briefing. Amirul began by making mention of Algeria being next door to Libya and how he had authorized the military attaches in the Indonesian Embassy in Algiers to “follow leads” in Libya.

“We have found, Mr. President, evidence of increased GAM activity in Libya probably in the last few months or so”, said Amirul, handing over a folder to Try.

“It’s already been established that when Colonel Gaddafi helped the Central African Republic’s President Patasse to stop a coup against him last year, there were Acehnese personnel involved”, replied Ari Sudewo’s voice over the phone.

“Are these the same Acehnese as those ones?” asked Edi.

“These are different ones, Mr. State Secretary”, replied Amirul “From our findings, they are from various parts of the world most notably GAM exiles who have sought refuge in Europe. They’ve come into Libya and are undertaking training.”

“What kind?” asked Ari Sudewo.

“Well, military training obviously”, explained Amirul “But they’re getting practice flying aircrafts and helicopters there.”

“They’re planning a terrorist attack?” asked Edi.

“We don’t know”, replied Amirul “But they are planning something.”

Edi and Amirul watched Try flick through the pages in the report in the folder. Try placed the pages down and closed down the folder.

“Thank you very much, Amirul, that’ll be all”, said Try.

“Yes, Sir”, said Amirul as he saluted and stepped outside.

“What I want to know is, is this a credible threat?”, asked Try after Amirul left “It’s not that I’m not taking this seriously but this is all happening so far away from Indonesia. Is this credible threat?”

“We’ve established a few months ago that the OPM is in hiding in Oceania and raising funds and now we’ve got this piece of intel saying that the GAM is in Libya and training” replied Ari “Okay, these are things happening far away from Indonesia but this should be the main takeaway of what we just heard: they are planning something. And whatever they’re planning, I don’t think the intention is to keep it far away from Indonesia.”

There’s silence as Try thought things through for sometime before he spoke again.

“This will not be the last time that we will talk about this, Chief”, said Try “But I’m afraid that I have to go. The Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave is next on my itinerary.”

---
A sungkem is a sign of respect, normally paid by juniors to elders.

Amirul Isnaeni is the current ITTL Chief ABRI Intelligence Agency. Back in Soeharto’s days, he played divide and conquer between BAKIN and the ABRI Intelligence Agency, both being headed by close associates with the ABRI Intelligence Agency being the more prominent one because it was headed by Benny Moerdani. ITTL, the ABRI Intelligence Agency is still prominent but it clearly defers to BAKIN. One of the Chief of the ABRI Intelligence Agency’s responsibilities is being in charge of the military attaches. That’s why the intel was retrieved from military attaches who reported to Amirul and who in turn reported it to Ari Sudewo at BAKIN.

Last edited:
Well at least Try now could know what the Libyan are up to
Why does Najib come off as so reprehensible in both OTL and ITTL...
Yup, I am still very annoyed that Najib somehow becoming an PM considering how bad the 1999 election ITTL, in my headcanon I though that Pak Lah is the one that is technically played himself. (I allude to what I mean below.)

There was a lot of uncomfortable gazes Try’s way when Prime Minister of Malaysia Najib Razak made his speech calling for tolerance of expansionary fiscal policy or even of deficit spending because not “all nations can claim responsible economic management on the basis of not having to pay debt”. Try kept a poker face but sitting behind him Edi and Minister of Industry Siswono Yudohusodo had to bite their lips; especially when Najib said that Malaysia sees multipolarism to mean the struggle against hegemonic aspirations both on a “global and a regional level”.
Excerpt from the Najib speech:

"We must know that deficit spending is sometimes actually good for the economy, if we do not spend enough, there will be a lack of investment such necessary infrastructure which in turn makes the economy losing steam (and me not becoming PM, if Pak Lah haven't announced the construction of LPT during the election , [fuck Anwar, no homo, and damn Dr.M for cancelling that project], I would not be even be considered of taking over, heck I could even lose my seat)."

/s btw

P/s: I wish I was joking when I said UMNO is scraping the barrel on my previous post, but when I recheck the 2000 UMNO leadership election, fuck, even the charged Mat Tyson hold the vice presidency. Let just say most of the goons below Najib at UMNO makes Tutut's goons looked like a bunch of highly calibred, charismatic, uncorrupted,energetic and competent politicians.

Well at least Try now could know what the Libyan are up to

Yup, I am still very annoyed that Najib somehow becoming an PM considering how bad the 1999 election ITTL, in my headcanon I though that Pak Lah is the one that is technically played himself. (I allude to what I mean below.)

Excerpt from the Najib speech:

"We must know that deficit spending is sometimes actually good for the economy, if we do not spend enough, there will be a lack of investment such necessary infrastructure which in turn makes the economy losing steam (and me not becoming PM, if Pak Lah haven't announced the construction of LPT during the election , [fuck Anwar, no homo, and damn Dr.M for cancelling that project], I would not be even be considered of taking over, heck I could even lose my seat)."

/s btw

P/s: I wish I was joking when I said UMNO is scraping the barrel on my previous post, but when I recheck the 2000 UMNO leadership election, fuck, even the charged Mat Tyson hold the vice presidency. Let just say most of the goons below Najib at UMNO makes Tutut's goons looked like a bunch of highly calibred, charismatic, uncorrupted,energetic and competent politicians.
I'm wondering if by now Najib has set up a 1MDB or similar slush fund yet ITTL.

Well, the lack of internet access and online news in general will make the likelihood of a 1MDB style affair being well known is greatly reduced. However, it is around this time IOTL that Najib is "negotiating" Scorpene, and "allegedly" Najib is not good enough at covering its tracks, unlike Mahathir "allegedly", which in the end "allegedly cause a woman to die. So who knows what will happen.

By the way, regarding Bougainville, considering the POD is on 29 November 1997 which way after the prime minister that are involved with that affair resigned, and I do not think the effect of a change in President in Indonesia would be affecting Bougainville until at least after the Lincoln Agreement was signed in January 1998.

Last edited:
Well, the lack of internet access and online news in general will make the likelihood of a 1MDB style affair being well known is greatly reduced. However, it is around this time IOTL that Najib is "negotiating" Scorpene, and "allegedly" Najib is not good enough at covering its tracks, unlike Mahathir "allegedly", which in the end "allegedly cause a woman to die. So who knows what will happen.

By the way, regarding Bougainville, considering the POD is on 29 November 1997 which way after the prime minister that are involved with that affair resigned, and I do not think the effect of a change in President in Indonesia would be affecting Bougainville until at least after the Lincoln Agreement was signed in January 1998.
That reminds me! Yes Scorpene and Altantuya happened around this time.

Irony is that Mahathir OTL was aware of what was going on but nobody has pinpointed to him about Scorpene till today.

The next leader was also fighting rebels. Though Try and Minister of Economics and National Development Planning Dorodjatun Kuntjoro-Jakti talked with him about more bus rapid transit lines in other cities in Indonesia, President of Colombia Alvaro Uribe told a story of how he was pursuing a harder line against the FARC. He complained in particular that the United States should expand its anti-drug campaign to other nations around Colombia because that’s where FARC is getting money from for its campaign.
Dangerous waters...

Try looked unhappy when he and Edi stepped out of the meeting. Ginandjar, together with Minister of Trade Anthony Salim, fared better in their meeting with President of Peru Francisco Tudela. In addition to committing to opening an embassy in Lima, Indonesia agreed to provide market access for Peru’s Big Cola soft drink product in Indonesia in exchange for market access in Peru for Indonesian FMCGs.
Two birds with one shot, Bolivia will follow. Lets see if chicha (a peruvian soft drink, its really good) has success on SEA.

202: Summit Season 2002 Part III
22nd October 2002:
Having arrived the previous night at the JFK International Airport in New York City, President Try Sutrisno walked at the head of the Indonesian delegation that morning as he took in his surroundings. Local dignitaries accompanied him most notably Mayor of New York Richard Bloomberg, Governor of New York State George Pataki. He and First Lady Tuti Setiawati laid some flowers on the site, said some prayers and talked to the press.

“It is very touching for me to be here today on the former site of the World Trade Center and to say a prayer or two for the souls of those who lost their lives not only here but also in Washington DC and Chicago as a result of the terrorist attacks on 11th September 2001”, Try said.

Try ignored questions about whether or not he was trying to get on the United States’ good graces by visiting Ground Zero after buying weapons from Germany and “threatening to buy Sukhois” so that he could get F-16s from the United States. He also ignored questions about why time had not been set aside on the agenda to meet with UN Secretary General Kofi Annan.

After lunch with Pataki and Bloomberg, Try met in the afternoon with the Indonesian Ambassador to the UN Juwono Sudarsono. In addition to reporting about the latest happenings on his assignments, Juwono reported that Annan was displeased that Portugal had restored diplomatic relations with Indonesia and had communicated “informally” to him that he was not pleased to see Indonesia’s “unilateral settlement” with East Timor being endorsed.

“Well, I’m not pleased that we have such a long history of being involved with UN Peacekeeping Missions but have been so deliberately snubbed out of peacekeeping operations in the last few years, either”, said Try “But I don’t want any quarrel with him and if he doesn’t want to see me, that’s fine. In any case, there’s no urgency for me to meet with him. It’s not like the nation is facing an urgent situation that requires his attention.”

23rd October 2002:
A short flight in the morning took Try and the Indonesian delegation to Washington DC. After a morning spent in a meet and greet with the Indonesian community at the Indonesian Embassy in Washington, Try sat down with Minister of Foreign Affairs Ginandjar Kartasasmita, Minister of Defense and Security Wismoyo Arismunandar, and State Secretary Edi Sudrajat. They listened to Minister of Economics and National Development Planning Dorodjatun Kuntjoro-Jakti, Minister of Trade Anthony Salim, and Minister of Industry Siswono Yudohusodo make their report, the latter three having arrived in Washington the previous day and having met with Secretary of the Treasury Phil Gramm and US Trade Representative Barbara Franklin.

“We got hammered, Mr. President” said Dorodjatun “They were asking us why we’ve slowed down on tariff reductions, why we want to prioritize AFTA over say, APEC as far as trade is concerned. Then they kept on reminding us that our strong economic performance for this year and the next few years is because they gave us a moratorium on the repayment of debt and they are unhappy that despite benefitting from this moratorium, we have agreed with the G-15’s communique on economic policy.”

“Please tell me someone pushed back”, said Try.

“He did, Mr. President”, said Anthony patting Siswono’s shoulders “Told them the United States must have forgotten that Indonesia is the nation that is most serious about clamping down on terrorism and radicalism in the Islamic world, told them that the United States provides a lot of protection for its farmers.”

There were a lot of chuckles. Try nodded in Siswono’s direction.

“We need to remind them, Mr. President, not that we are useful to them but that they find us useful and that it’s not wise to make us unhappy”, said Siswono.

“APEC will be a tough crowd. The Prime Minister of Canada and most likely, the Prime Minister of Australia, will have something to say to us about tariffs”, reported Dorodjatun “Most likely something about us wanting to put AFTA on the agenda but saying nothing about APEC.”

There was a queue in Washington DC. Prime Minister of Japan Yukio Hatoyama was also in town to visit the White House and it was he that got to visit there first. Try meanwhile alternated between touring the National Mall and preparing for his meeting the next day. It was during this preparation that Ginandjar received a report from a subordinate, interrupted him and turned on the television screen.

The screen was broadcasting an image of Prime Minister of Australia Peter Costello shaking hands with President of China Jiang Zemin. The image then cut to Costello addressing a press conference.

“The agreement I have signed to increase the export of coal to the People’s Republic of China is good for Australians, it’s good for Australia, and it’s good for the Australian economy. The world’s emerging economies are on the lookout for commodities to fuel their economic growth and Australia must be prepared to take advantage of developments”, Costello announced.

Try ordered the television to be turned off.

24th October 2002:
The morning saw Try and his delegation arrive in the White House. After shaking hands with President of the United States John McCain, there was a welcoming ceremony on the lawns of the White House, a photo-op at the White House fireplace mantel at the Oval Office, and then everyone assembled for a meeting. The Indonesians represented by Try, Ginandjar, Wismoyo, Dorodjatun and Edi. The United States represented by McCain, Secretary of State Richard Williamson, Secretary of Defense Tom Ridge, Phil Gramm, National Security Advisor Bill Kristol, White House Chief of Staff Rick Davis, and Assistant Secretary of State for East Asia and Pacific Affairs Paul Wolfowitz.

The two presidents opened by heaping praise on each other. McCain on Indonesia for its stance on terrorism and radicalism, most notably its operations against Jemaah Islamiyah; Try on the United States for its close relationship in Indonesia through aid, investments, and other means.

The first issue was the matter of the 28 F-16s since as McCain half-jokingly pointed out, this was the matter that “everybody” came here to talk about. McCain outlined his considerations and somewhat bluntly said that though he noted Indonesia’s active procurement of weapons to modernize its armed forces and the possibility that such weapons will be procured from other nations, even from Russia, that does not have any bearing on the decision made.

“The decision of this administration is that it will not allow Indonesia to procure the 28 F-16s it has expressed its interests in”, declared McCain.

There was silence in the room as everyone waited for Try to speak.

“Mr. President, may I be frank enough to ask whether the opinions of others has had a part in your decision?”

“You’re speaking of the Australians”, said McCain.

“Yes, Mr. President” replied Try.

“Yes, it has had a part to play but ultimately I am the President of the United States and American interests is what has factored into my decision, Mr. President”, assured McCain “You are a great partner in the War on Terror and no one can deny that, but I note that your relations with Australia, an ally of this country, in recent times has not been the best.”

“I hope you don’t mean that Indonesia and Australia will come to a conflict in the near future”, said Try.

“It will place the United States in an awkward position if it comes to that; for a partner in the War on Terror and an ally to be on the opposite ends of a conflict”, replied McCain “We will try to mediate of course but in the event of conflict, our ANZUS treaty obligations obligates us to be on their side.”

Try nodded silently as he thought it over. In a conflict with Australia, the latter can invoke treaties which obliges the United States and the United Kingdom to intervene on its side. That’s not a scenario he would wish on his nation.

“Indonesia does not intend to get remotely anywhere near a conflict with Australia”, replied Try.

“I applaud your intentions but that is perhaps a message you have to convey to them yourselves”, said McCain firmly “The United States’ interests ultimately lay on whether or not to allow you to have the F-16s, in which case the decision has already been made.”

Try looked at McCain and at the others in the room.

“Then I must accept the decision which you have has made”, Try said reluctantly.

Ridge spoke next as though trying to soften the blow. Whatever spare parts to existing weapons and military equipment which Indonesia has purchased from the United States will continue to be available. Wismoyo and Ginandjar asked after the 4 Kidd-Class Destroyers and received assurances that those will be delivered next year.

While all this was happening, Try caught sight of Gramm flicking through his folders as though preparing for the talks to move to economic matters next. Opposite from Gramm, Dorodjatun passed some notes over to Edi which the latter was ready to pass to Try. Try then looked over at Wismoyo and Ginandjar chatting with McCain, Ridge and Williamson about the details, then looked at the eagle on the floor of the Oval Office and then...

“Actually there is one more assurance that I am looking for, Mr. President”, said Try snapping McCain out of his discussions with the ministers and the secretaries.

“I’m all ears, Mr. President”, said McCain.

“Last year, your Administration gave us a moratorium on debt for 10 years which basically means whatever debt installments that we have, we don’t have to pay for them for 10 years and you secured agreement from the CGI for that and we thank you”, began Try “But you never tied any conditions or strings to this moratorium.”

“That’s right”, said McCain.

“But this year, I’ve been hearing from my Vice President, from economic ministers that this moratorium is being questioned by Australia and Canada and the United Kingdom and by your Secretary of Treasury because Indonesia has not been lowering trade barriers as quickly as might have hoped”, continued Try “In fact I received message from my Minister of Economics and National Development Planning just as I arrived in Washington that there is a plan to make a big deal about my government’s preference to resume AFTA at the APEC Summit.”

“If you don’t mind, Mr. President, that is precisely the next topic of discussion once we’re finished with…” began Gramm to McCain.

“I’m not looking to nationalize anything, I’m not looking to establish a socialist economy, I manage my budget responsibly and I manage the economy responsibly; I am always seeking to make it easier in the national economy to invest in, to trade in, and do business in”, interrupted Try over Gramm “I’m not a Chavez or a Morales or a Castro. All I want is for Indonesia to have the freedom to pursue its economic policies in its own way, at its own pace, and in its own interests.”

Ginandjar flicked through his notes and wondering where Try is speaking from, Edi looked at him and just told him to “go along”.

“Two months ago I broke the back of am organization in my country with links to Al Qaeda…I broke its back, they’re being prosecuted, and the only terror they can commit now is curse my name from their cells”, said Try “If this doesn’t warrant two extra squadrons of F-16s in my Air Force, then would you at the very least let my country retain the debt moratorium without there being any pressure being placed on us to adopt certain policies in return.”

---
At the joint press conference between Try and McCain, the questions about Indonesia not ending up with 28 F-16s or about how the 10-year debt moratorium, confirmed to have had no strings attached, has been reaffirmed seemed only perfunctory. Most of the attention were on the upcoming Montenegrin Presidential Elections due in two days’ time with McCain saying that he hopes the elections there will be a “clean fight”.

That night Try would return to the White House dressed in his evening best as McCain hosted a State Dinner for Try. There was a standing ovation for Try during McCain’s speech when Indonesia’s contribution in the War on Terror was mentioned. But as Ginandjar and Wismoyo noted around the room, there was also agreement in the room by the Americans that McCain’s decision not to let Indonesia have the 28 F-16s was the right one because that would make Indonesia “too strong for its own good”.

---
Something of an Australia-centric chapter. Australia signing an agreement to export coal with China and then featuring in Try's talks with McCain.

In OTL, Australia benefitted from the commodities boom and also exported its mineral resources to China though in OTL it’s iron ore that Australia is exporting to China. ITTL, it’s a lot more coal than OTL that Australia will be sending China’s way (ironically in part because ITTL China and Indonesia won’t have the same relationship that its OTL counterparts has). https://www.dfat.gov.au/sites/default/files/australias-exports-to-china-2001-2011.pdf page 2

Still feeling my way about how Najib and Malaysia will turn out but I note your and and @focus9912 's discussion. I know Najib was Minister of Defense in OTL during this time.

Now wondering if you guys could sink your teeth into another nation within the vicinity: Singapore. I've mentioned in the TL that LHL has resigned as Minister for Foreign Affairs because he has cancer. My question is, from his generation of leaders are there any other possible alternative Singapore PMs that could possibly have taken over? Did Goh have his favorites?

I'm actually curious, what happened to the bougainville rebellion in this timeline especially this
As pointed out, at the point the TL starts (Nov. 1997) it's too late for butterflies to occur and have an effect. But when Try visited PNG in February 2001, it was mentioned that the PNG government was considering a special region status for Bougainville along the lines of what ITTL Indonesia has with Irian Jaya and East Timor (Indonesia retains East Timor ITTL by unilaterally making it a special region). But the PNG and how it handles Bougainville be explored in the future.

Whoop... At least he's still gonna be a 2 star purnawirawan ITTL 👌
Amirul does not have very long to go.

Last edited:
Now wondering if you guys could sink your teeth into another nation within the vicinity: Singapore. I've mentioned in the TL that LHL has resigned as Minister for Foreign Affairs because he has cancer. My question is, from his generation of leaders are there any other possible alternative Singapore PMs that could possibly have taken over? Did Goh have his favorites?
I am a Singaporean user on this site, so let me try to help @GSD310

The development in this timeline really raises a dilemma because Lee Hsien Loong was always going to be the chosen one, and he served as Deputy Prime Minister under Goh since day 1 of his premiership since November 1990.

S Jayakumar revealed that Lee Hsien Loong was the only candidate in the race and it was a unanimous decision.

1. It is very possible that Goh will be forced to stay on a while longer.

Among the incoming faces in the same generation of leaders were Teo Chee Hean, Tharman Shanmugaratnam, Ng Eng Hen, K. Shanmugam, Lim Hng Kiang, Wong Kan Seng, Vivian Balakrishnan, Khaw Boon Wan, George Yeo, Yaacob Ibrahim, Mah Bow Tan, S Jayakumar himself.

But most of them only entered politics in 2001, only Shanmugam, Jayakumar, George Yeo, Mah Bow Tan, Teo Chee Hean entered office earlier than that.

2. If I were to narrow people down specifically IMO, alternatives would be likely George Yeo (former army Brigadier General) and Teo Chee Hean( former Navy rear admiral). Why I add in about their military backgrounds is because they are similar to Lee Hsien Loong, who was a former army Brigadier General as well.

And Teo Chee Hean was brought into politics by Goh by bringing him in to serve as an MP in the same parliament seat as Goh in 1992.

And most recently IOTL, Teo Chee Hean has been asked to step in as acting Prime Minister in Lee Hsien Loong's absence many times despite no longer being a deputy, most recently in Dec last year. Might be indicative that he is a safe pair of hands within the PAP. Whether or not he is someone who can serve for the long term is a different matter.

3. On a final note, I don't think that Goh's word would be enough, I'm sure Lee Kuan Yew will also have some say/views to share in the matter, as he is still serving in Cabinet as Senior Minister.

4. Or you can decide to put in Lee Hsien Loong anyway under the reason that his cancer was successfully treated, somehow.

Last edited:
Maybe the Indonesians would prefer the F/A-18 or the JAS 39 Gripen.
Here, I disregard any fighter coming from US, so no F-16, no Hornet, Tomcat, Eagles and so on.

Saab is an alternative like Dassault (Rafale could be a good choice?), but the Sukhois have the advantage.

Dont know if UK would offer the Panavia Tornado but if US doesnt want Indonesia to be too strong, im sure UK is on the same page.

But at least, Try got 4 Kidd-class destroyers. Its something.

Here, I disregard any fighter coming from US, so no F-16, no Hornet, Tomcat, Eagles and so on.

Saab is an alternative like Dassault (Rafale could be a good choice?), but the Sukhois have the advantage.

Dont know if UK would offer the Panavia Tornado but if US doesnt want Indonesia to be too strong, im sure UK is on the same page.

But at least, Try got 4 Kidd-class destroyers. Its something.
What's with American fighter jets? Too expensive to maintain? I think the European platforms would be more expensive as well.

However, consider that F/A-18 is used by Malaysia while the F-16 is used by Singapore. The Gripen has also been offered to the Philippine Air Force. In fact, the PAF has been eyeing on it since 2009.

What's with American fighter jets? Too expensive to maintain? I think the European platforms would be more expensive as well.
That night Try would return to the White House dressed in his evening best as McCain hosted a State Dinner for Try. There was a standing ovation for Try during McCain’s speech when Indonesia’s contribution in the War on Terror was mentioned. But as Ginandjar and Wismoyo noted around the room, there was also agreement in the room by the Americans that McCain’s decision not to let Indonesia have the 28 F-16s was the right one because that would make Indonesia “too strong for its own good”.
Thats why i said no american jets for now and by extension, any other model under US license. Forgot about HAL, maybe they can offer something.

Thats why i said no american jets for now and by extension, any other model under US license. Forgot about HAL, maybe they can offer something.
Maybe the Indonesians would prefer the F/A-18 or the JAS 39 Gripen.

However, consider that F/A-18 is used by Malaysia while the F-16 is used by Singapore. The Gripen has also been offered to the Philippine Air Force. In fact, the PAF has been eyeing on it since 2009.
Remember F-16 Medium Fighter for patrol
Another candidate only Grippen, Mig-29 or Mirage 2000. We can downgrade with Light Fighter for patrol like F/A-50. Sadly it will weaken AURI if patrol with only Light Fighter for Kohadhunnas. Less problem for geopolitics only dealing with French, pardon me Scandinavian tend to support GAM like OTL. so the best candidates is Mirage 2000