Independent: The Election and Presidency of President H. Ross Perot

Presidnt Perot should attempt to use the July pulpit to raise public support for his budgett. If successfl that could pressure Congresss to accept it.

I actually think dealing with Foriegn Policy, is the only way Perot's going to actually be able to do anything with his Presidency. He will probably have a very strong response so the '93 WTC and '95 OKC bombings but without Clinton's wide eyed Idealism(So no Intervention in Rwanda or Yugoslavia). He'll also need to build his party to field candidates in the '94 Midterm Elections.

“[FONT=Times, serif]It was quite odd for a while. After Kennedy visited the president on February 15, Perot kept to himself quite often, and the congressman kept coming over, almost every day, to work with the president. I asked him once what they were working on, and he said he couldn't tell me. Of course, this was because he didn't want it to leak to Congress that an upcoming balanced budget bill was partly the work of President Perot. I figured out that whatever they were doing was done sometime in early March, when Congressman Kennedy stopped visiting the White House.”[/FONT]

• [FONT=Times, serif]Donna Whitman, White House Secretary, interviewed for Independent: The Ross Perot Story[/FONT]

“[FONT=Times, serif]I was proud of my nephew. I came to visit him in early March, and he told me about his plans for passing a balanced budget bill. He also told me that he had been making a lot of friends in the House, and was 'making sure' that they were going to vote for the balanced budget bill. He told me to watch out for it when it came to the Senate. I knew what he meant by 'making sure' – he meant that he was doing the same sort of things that my brother Bobby had done when he was working with Joe McCarthy in the 1950s. 'You're just like your uncle,' I told him jokingly, and he laughed as well. It seemed like he had made enough friends that it would be passed by the House. Still, the House came to a debate after he introduced it, and that was where the bill became interesting.”[/FONT]

• [FONT=Times, serif]True Compass by Ted Kennedy[/FONT]

“[FONT=Times, serif]This bill, with all due respect to the gentleman from Massachusetts, is ridiculous. We have here a bill that is proposing a budget that is limiting the power of the United States to spend its money as it pleases. I do not endorse this bill, as the United States of America needs the power to spend as much money as necessary.”[/FONT]

• [FONT=Times, serif]Congressman David Obey (D-WI-7)[/FONT]

“[FONT=Times, serif]The bill, crazily enough, gathered many Republicans to its cause, as well as many moderate Democrats. Republicans endorsed the bill because it meant more money for the United States, and moderate Democrats endorsed the bill because they were pro-balanced budget. Interestingly, there was no mention of President Perot in the debate. At the end of the session, on March 21, 1993, the House voted on the bill.”[/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]HOUSE VOTE, BALANCED BUDGET AMENDMENT, 03/21/1993[/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]AYE: 234[/FONT]
[FONT=Times, serif]Nay: 201[/FONT]

“[FONT=Times, serif]Personally, I am glad that this balanced budget bill has passed the House of Representatives. Frankly, I believe this is the beginning of the change in America I promised a year ago, and I call on the Senate to bring about more change.”[/FONT]

• [FONT=Times, serif]President Perot at a Press Conference, 3/22/1993[/FONT]

“[FONT=Times, serif]After the president made his remarks on the balanced budget bill, it struck me horribly – the president and Joe Kennedy had just played us. He had been working with Kennedy behind the scenes, and we had just passed the bill we vowed we would never pass. It struck me like a hammer on a nail – and then, I realized that the president was going to be tougher to deal with than we thought.”[/FONT]

• [FONT=Times, serif]Speaker by Former Speaker of the House Tom Foley[/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]New York Times Editorial – March 29, 1993[/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]WILL THE BALANCED BUDGET BILL SUCCEED?[/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]Eight days ago, the House of Representatives approved the balanced budget bill solely introduced by Congressman Joseph Kennedy (D-MA-8). Now, before it is sent to the president, the bill will be debated by the Senate, and if it is passed by that house, then the bill will be sent to President Ross Perot. Needless to say, the president campaigned on a platform of a balanced budget last year, and doubtless will pass the bill. He has already endorsed the bill. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]As there was in the House of Representatives, there is serious opposition to the bill, mostly among Democrats. Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell (D-ME) has criticized the bill, while Senate Minority Leader Bob Dole (R-KS) has endorsed the bill, calling it “a necessary move to keep the United States strong.” [/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]Unsurprisingly, the Republican Party has been the biggest supporters of the bill, while the Democrats, who have a majority in both houses of Congress, are against it. Even then, you have Republicans who are against the balanced budget. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]There are two paths that this bill can take. One way this may resolve is that the Democratic leaders in the Senate are able to keep their majority together and, with their majority, strike down the bill. This may not be too hard for the Democrats, as Senator Ted Kennedy – the so-called “Lion of the Senate” - has spoken against the bill and is attempting to rally the Democrats against it. If they can manage this, then President Perot has a likely chance of being ruined for the rest of his presidency, having attempted a bill that he had promised so much in his presidential campaign last year, only to have it vetoed by a partisan majority in the Senate. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]However, there is one more path that is probably more appealing to the president. The Republicans may attempt to appeal to conservative and moderate Democrats and convince them to vote alongside the minority. Some of these Democrats include Senator Joe Lieberman of Connecticut and Senator Terry Sanford of North Carolina. If these conservative Democrats vote yes on the bill, a balanced budget may be signed into office by President Perot soon. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]Effectively, this bill can very much decide the future of the next four years: If the bill should fail, most of President Perot's bills will probably fail. If it should fail, we may see the president fulfill his promise of bi-partisanship in Congress and the White House. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]Transcript of Phone Conversation in the Senate Office of Sen. Joe Lieberman (D-CT)[/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]SECRETARY: Senator, you have a call from Senator Kennedy. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]SEN. JOE LIEBERMAN: Alright, I'll take the call. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]SEN. TED KENNEDY (D-MA): Hello, Joe, how are you?[/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]LIEBERMAN: Fine. What's going on?[/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]KENNEDY: Well, I realize you've been talking about voting yes on the balanced budget. Well, I'm just here to let you know that if you do that, you're going to regret it. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]LIEBERMAN: Yes? How is that?[/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]KENNEDY: You certainly won't be getting any of my endorsements in your re-election bid next year, and you certainly won't from a lot of other Democrats, at least not in the Senate. Even Bob Byrd is on my side, as well as George Mitchell. I just hope you tell your moderate caucus in the party to vote no. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]LIEBERMAN: Hmm. Well, I vote on my beliefs, Mr. Kennedy, but we'll see. What's in it for me if I vote no?[/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]KENNEDY: I'll continue to endorse you for re-election, as will the entire party. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]LIEBERMAN: Remember, we're debating the bill at the party caucus tomorrow. I'll form my opinion then. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]KENNEDY: Alrighty, fair enough. See you tomorrow, and thank you for your time.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif](End of Transcript)[/FONT]

Senator Joe Lieberman speaking against the balanced budget bill

“[FONT=Times, serif]I think, in the best interests of the party and all of us in general, we need to vote against this bill. It will certainly go against our party lines, and we need a united party. Plus, the bill will only limit our spending ability, and that will basically limit the United States, and that's why I am against this bill.”[/FONT]

• [FONT=Times, serif]Sen. Robert Byrd (D-WV) debating the balanced budget bill, 4/11/93[/FONT]

“[FONT=Times, serif]When the time to vote on the balanced budget bill in May came around, we were fairly uncertain as to whether the majority would pass the bill or not. At some of the later Democratic caucus debates, Lieberman began to speak in favor of the bill. Honestly, if we were going to keep the majority together and vote against the bill, we had to get the moderates on our side, which was going to be hard, especially with Joseph Lieberman. Being leader of the moderate caucus of the Democrats in the Senate, the vote was his, and that was looking promisingly hard. So when Lieberman argued in favor of the bill, that was when we started to feel relieved. But the day before the vote, at the moderate caucus, Senator Lieberman had a change of heart.”[/FONT]

“[FONT=Times, serif]Let us vote in favor of the bill, and let us prepare the way for the next balanced budget.”[/FONT]

• [FONT=Times, serif]Senator Lieberman (D-CT) addressing the moderate faction of the U.S. Senate Democrats[/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]SENATE VOTE, BALANCED BUDGET AMENDMENT, MAY 20 1993[/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]NO: 51[/FONT]
[FONT=Times, serif]Yes: 49[/FONT]

“[FONT=Times, serif]We were lucky – Senators Max Baucus and Carol Moseley-Braun voted no on the balanced budget bill.”[/FONT]

• [FONT=Times, serif]Former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell (D-ME), interviewed for Independent: The Ross Perot Story[/FONT]

“[FONT=Times, serif]Well, first of all, I would like to state that yes, I am disappointed about the balanced budget – this was what I promised last year, and my efforts to deliver this to the American people have been rejected by the senators in Congress. However, this has proved one thing – there are those that wish to see a balanced budget, and wish to see change in the United States. I'm not going to let them down, and I'm going to keep fighting for them, like I promised I would last year.”[/FONT]

• [FONT=Times, serif]President Perot at a Press Conference, May 21, 1993[/FONT]

“[FONT=Times, serif]For months at a time, the president pondered and pondered about what to do about the midterm elections in 1994. He told me repeatedly that he had to do something – he wasn't going to let his presidency fail. One day in July, I suggested that he start his own political party and see if it couldn't get seats in Congress the next year. He liked that idea, and he told me: 'Clay, I think that's a great idea. If this works, 1995 is the year we get some real good progress.' That was how the American Party began.”[/FONT]

• [FONT=Times, serif]Clay Mulford, interviewed in Independent: The Ross Perot Story[/FONT]

Logo of the American Party of the United States

Dang,It's tought to see Perot's only reall major Campaign promise be shotdown on such narrow margins in the Senate. But I think the establishment of the American Party will change all that:D

balanced budget. nice thanks for using my ideas... I am a bit confused by your post, did Kennedy back it and then back out? and I think you confused Joe and Ted at one point. Any clarification would be nice. what kind of fundraising capabilities is Perot going to have for the midterms? How did the budget debate play in public? I like this alot. keep it going:)

Dang,It's tought to see Perot's only reall major Campaign promise be shotdown on such narrow margins in the Senate. But I think the establishment of the American Party will change all that:D

You'd make a billion dollars if you bet your money on that.:D

balanced budget. nice thanks for using my ideas... I am a bit confused by your post, did Kennedy back it and then back out? and I think you confused Joe and Ted at one point. Any clarification would be nice. what kind of fundraising capabilities is Perot going to have for the midterms? How did the budget debate play in public? I like this alot. keep it going:)

Did I? I'm sorry:eek:. Joe Lieberman backed the bill at first, then pretended to back the bill under pressure from Ted Kennedy, and argued against it the day before the vote, and voted against it, along with most of the moderate caucus except two Democratic moderate senators - Max Baucus and Carol Moseley-Braun.

Ted Kennedy never backed the bill, mostly because he was against a balanced budget.

Awesome, just awesome. Tough times ahead for both Perot's group and maybe even the Dems.

The the Dems end up drumming Lieberman out early, could he be the frontrunner for the new American Party with Joe Kennedy?

I keep forgetting how much of an economic liberal EMK really was. (perhaps because I write about his brothers) More updates, Dude. :D

Great story! One question- what role will Nader play in this TL? With Perot in the race, his first entry into the Presidential race as a None of the Above option in 1996 could get butterflied out.

Great story! One question- what role will Nader play in this TL? With Perot in the race, his first entry into the Presidential race as a None of the Above option in 1996 could get butterflied out.

Oh, boy. You know, I've got the entire timeline sketched out right now, and I am really itching to tell you all. I will try to fit him into one of the next updates... Let's just say he will still be involved...:D

Oh, boy. You know, I've got the entire timeline sketched out right now, and I am really itching to tell you all. I will try to fit him into one of the next updates... Let's just say he will still be involved...:D

Looking forward to it. Normally I don't find TLs with a POD while I'm alive too interesting, but this one's really grasped my attention.

Awesome TL; I'm really looking forward to how this develops.

But while everyone speculates on a '96 run, keep in mind that Perot promised, in OTL 1992, to serve only one term in office (Milwaukee Sentinel, October 16, 1992). Perhaps he might not make that exact promise given the POD, but it's still something the man as he is wanted to do.

KevBar

Banned
Hooked

Outstanding TL. Please continue, I am on the edge of my seat.
I still have my Ross Perot buttons.
I like the title The American Party. One question, would Mr. Perot have let Bin Laden get away as happened in OTL?

Outstanding TL. Please continue, I am on the edge of my seat.
I still have my Ross Perot buttons.
I like the title The American Party. One question, would Mr. Perot have let Bin Laden get away as happened in OTL?

That's great, I'm glad you like it so much.:)

As for Osama bin Laden, I have a bit on him later on. :D

Speaking of which, you were a Ross Perot supporter? That's great! I personally think Ross Perot would have done the country a real service, and this timeline is seriously making me think more and more highly of Ross Perot.

so when can we see an update. i am really into this:)

Pretty soon; I won't promise it, but I'm hoping this weekend.

EDIT

I'm sorry, I forgot. I actually do have an update I can give you right now. I'll post it now, and hopefully, I'll post another update this weekend.

Last edited:
1994 Pt. 1

[FONT=Times, serif]PART THREE:[/FONT]
[FONT=Times, serif]DESTINY OF THE PRESIDENT[/FONT]

“[FONT=Times, serif]As has been proved by the vote on the balanced budget bill, we need a new kind of majority in Congress – not a Republican majority, and not a Democratic majority. We need an American majority, a majority that will get things done. I am creating the American Party, that will run candidates for Congress, Senate, and local Governor races next year. I am its party chairman, and yes, we will have a midterm convention and primaries for local races. This party is in the interest of electing America to Congress.”[/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]Texas Special U.S. Senate Election, June 14 1993[/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]Kay Bailey Huthchinson (R) – 55%[/FONT]
[FONT=Times, serif]Robert Krueger (D) - 45%[/FONT]

• [FONT=Times, serif]President Perot at a Press Conference, June 2, 1993[/FONT]

“[FONT=Times, serif]I declare my candidacy for the American Party endorsement for next year's Congressional election in this district, as a devout supporter of the president and the people of the United States.”[/FONT]

• [FONT=Times, serif]Congressman Joseph P. Kennedy II declaring his candidacy for re-election, June 20, 1993[/FONT]

“[FONT=Times, serif]As leader of the Independence Party of New York, I realize the America President Perot sees is also the image of the party, and now, with the kindly agreement of the others in the party, the Independence Party is now incorporated into the American Party of New York, and I will run for Governor of New York as a strong supporter of the ideals of President Perot, a better New York, and as an American.”[/FONT]

• [FONT=Times, serif]Independence Party New York Chairman Tom Golisano declaring his candidacy for New York Governor, August 3, 1993[/FONT]

“[FONT=Times, serif]The Independence Party of Minnesota is no longer; there is now the American Party of Minnesota, and I will run for governor as an American Party candidate.”[/FONT]

• [FONT=Times, serif]Dean Barkley declaring his candidacy for Minnesota Governor, July 8, 1993[/FONT]

“[FONT=Times, serif]Joe increasingly tried to convince me to join the American Party, but the thing is, I couldn't. I just didn't share the same beliefs as that party, though I respected Joe's decision to switch parties. It was very tough when Perot began that party, because not only did Joe leave the Democratic Party, but also, Chris Dodd, Dale Bumpers, Joe Lieberman, and Max Baucus joined the American Party – of course, a number of House Democrats also joined the American Party. But still, the number of Democrats joining the party was small compared to the number of Republicans – when all the Republicans joined the American Party, it was only the far-right conservatives that were left. John McCain, Mike Huckabee, Dick Lugar, Chuck Grassley, Kit Bond, almost every moderate Republican joined the American Party. After the beginning of the American Party, President Perot's popularity began to rise.”[/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]CNN Poll, January 3 1994[/FONT]
[FONT=Times, serif]During this Year's Congressional, Senatorial, and Gubernatorial Elections, Which General Party will You Vote for?[/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]American Party – 35%[/FONT]
[FONT=Times, serif]Democratic Party – 34%[/FONT]
[FONT=Times, serif]Republican Party – 31%[/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]House Composition, January 1 1994[/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]Democrats: 255[/FONT]
[FONT=Times, serif]Republicans: 101[/FONT]
[FONT=Times, serif]Americans: 75[/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]Senate Composition, January 1 1994[/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]Democrats: 52[/FONT]
[FONT=Times, serif]Republicans: 24[/FONT]
[FONT=Times, serif]Americans: 24[/FONT]

“[FONT=Times, serif]There were many difficulties in Congress after the beginning of the new American Party. Because many Republicans and three Democrats joined the American Party, both chambers faced a problem they had never encountered before: they now had three parties in Congress. So, a joint law was approved by the Supreme Court that ruled that minority parties would jointly elect a minority leader, or if they should have the majority, jointly elect a majority leader and Speaker, effective immediately.”[/FONT]

• [FONT=Times, serif]A History of the United States Congress by Robert Caro[/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]American Party House Leadership Election, February 1 1994[/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]Rep. Joseph Kennedy (A-MA-8) – Unanimous[/FONT]

“[FONT=Times, serif]Of course, I was happy for Joe when he was elected leader of the House American Party, though he was now a member of the opposition. Still, what made me the most interested of all was the situation in the Senate. The defections in the GOP resulted in both the Senate members of the GOP and American Party being tied at 24, meaning anyone could be elected Minority Leader.”[/FONT]

Tom_foley.jpg

Majority Leader Tom Foley (D-WA-5)

160px-RobertHMichel.jpg

Republican House Minority Leader Bob Michel (R-IL-18)

225px-Joe_Kennedy.jpg

American Party House Minority Leader Joseph Kennedy (A-MA-8)

[FONT=Times, serif]American Party Senate Leadership Election, February 9 1994[/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]Joe Lieberman – 16[/FONT]
[FONT=Times, serif]John McCain – 8[/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]Transcript of Phone Conversation in the Office of Sen. Bob Dole (R-KS)[/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]SECRETARY: Senator, you have a phone call from Senator Kennedy.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]SEN. DOLE: Okay, let him through, please.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]SEN. KENNEDY: Hello, Bob. How are you doing?[/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]SEN. DOLE: Well... I'm fine. I'm just trying to get myself to stay the leader of the opposition. No bragging, I'd rather have myself than Joe Lieberman leading the minority.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]SEN. KENNEDY: (Laughing) I imagine. You know that if no one votes across party lines, Stockdale's going to cast the tie-breaker, right? And that will probably be the leader of his own party?[/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]SEN. DOLE: Well aware, and that's what I'm trying to avoid.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]Senate Minority Leader Election, Mar. 1 1994[/FONT]

[FONT=Times, serif]Bob Dole – 24[/FONT]
[FONT=Times, serif]Joe Lieberman – 24[/FONT]

“[FONT=Times, serif]We have breaking news from the Senate chamber. As a result of a tie in the minority leader election, Vice President James Stockdale has cast the final vote, and he has voted for Senator Joe Lieberman. Senator Joseph Lieberman has been elected Senate Minority Leader.”[/FONT]

• [FONT=Times, serif]CNN, March 1 1994[/FONT]

mitchellpoints2.jpg

Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell (D-ME)

260px-Joe_Lieberman_official_portrait_2.jpg

Senate Minority Leader Joseph Lieberman (A-CT)