Independent Philippines in 1898 as a protectorate of the USA

What if, at the end of the Spanish-American War, the American government instead of going through with its very strange idea of taking over the Philippines, recognized an independent Philippine Republic with Aguinaldo as president, with concessions to American interests similar to the ones of the Platt Amendment, and under its protection? How would the islands be affected?

I think for starters, Spanish would remain a core, if minority, language, and Tagalog would not have quite as much English influence. The US would retain a military presence near Manila for quite awhile however.

What if, at the end of the Spanish-American War, the American government instead of going through with its very strange idea of taking over the Philippines, recognized an independent Philippine Republic with Aguinaldo as president, with concessions to American interests similar to the ones of the Platt Amendment, and under its protection? How would the islands be affected?

No one really supported Aguinaldo at this point but rather the Americans, specially the common people that is why the Americans were not able to change their mind but if Bonifacio stayed alive and wins the Americans would have likely made a protectorate status, the people of Bonifacio would have done everything to stamp out outside influence like Spanish, Visayas and Mindanao might be taken out by the Americans from the Philippines or rather Katagalugan instead since they have their own revolts.

Last edited:
I think for starters, Spanish would remain a core, if minority, language, and Tagalog would not have quite as much English influence. The US would retain a military presence near Manila for quite awhile however.

Are you sure, that, it would be minority? Documents show, that, the Philippines were majority Spanish-speaking at the time of the Spanish-American War.

Marc

Donor
Half a million, or more, people would have lived instead of dying, badly, before their times.
And that matters more than the details about local politics.

Americans have largely forgotten how terrible the Philippine War really was. And how ruthless we were.

Last edited:
Half a million, or more, people would have lived instead of dying, badly, before their times.
And that matters more than the details about local politics.

Americans have largely forgotten how terrible the Philippine War really was. And how ruthless we were.
Are you sure, that, it would be minority? Documents show, that, the Philippines were majority Spanish-speaking at the time of the Spanish-American War.
There is no way to have a united Philippines as a protectorate as the Masses do not want Aguinaldo and Visayas and Mindanao splintered in the revolt, I think the only way the Americans can do a protectorate status is to get rid of Aguinaldo but the Philippines will still get divided splintered.

The thing is without the Philippine American war, the Spanish Speaking class will still get destroyed in Luzon as the revolters in Luzon want to get rid of them, I think they will survive in Visayas who would likely get their own country.

The Spanish speakers are the educated class.

That is why I say a partition of the Philippines settlement with Americans purchasing Luzon is the better outcome to prevent a spanish-american war and good for the people involved in the situation.

Last edited:

I think with time, Tagalog would become the primary language, but at first most people would still be speaking Spanish.