Independent Isle of Wight

I had an interesting holiday on the island once and may go again. It has a reputation of being sort of 1950s world.

Part of what I imagined was that they would not have changed their currency to the decimal system.

Is there anything a British Government could have done in the 50s and 60s which would have provoked such a reaction. One issue might relate to decisions about railways - many of which were closed but I am not sure when that happened on the Isle of Wight.

Isn't most of the island's population retirees from the mainland?
Its economy certainly heavily relies on tourism from Britain.
You would need to have a sharp rise in the amount of city states popping up all over the world.

I've been there twice & enjoyed it both times. I was wandering if it was ever autonomus in the past. Before 1974 I don't think it was even a county in it's own right. The Isle Of Man & the Channel Isles have a long history of self government, which explains their current status.

Part of the attraction- but also maybe the economic viability- would be retro tourism.

I picture the Island not only using Pounds Shillings and Pence but also maybe buying old London busses.