Independence Day: Offically Alternate History

PhilippeO

Banned
Wouldn't most casualty came from First Wave attacks ? By Second and Third Wave, most resident of cities would flee as soon as they see big UFO came, the Big UFO seems move fairly slowly.

Not everybody can flee in time, but some portion of population of would survive in surrounding area.

It also not known how devastating Alien Attack is. some outlying suburb might survive attack.

So for second and third wave, the damage is more to infrastructure, while population could resettle the cities.

Well I imagine the New York attack killed Manhattan but it probably didn't take out all of Queens or Staten Island for example. Hell specifically in that case the rivers serve as firebreaks.

Blue Moon

Banned
Wouldn't most casualty came from First Wave attacks ? By Second and Third Wave, most resident of cities would flee as soon as they see big UFO came, the Big UFO seems move fairly slowly.

Not everybody can flee in time, but some portion of population of would survive in surrounding area.

It also not known how devastating Alien Attack is. some outlying suburb might survive attack.

So for second and third wave, the damage is more to infrastructure, while population could resettle the cities.

Well I imagine the New York attack killed Manhattan but it probably didn't take out all of Queens or Staten Island for example. Hell specifically in that case the rivers serve as firebreaks.

Right but because of the blast wave radius of the city destroyers and the attacks happening by the smaller craft and all of the chaos from such huge numbers of people on the move plus the crashing CD's and smaller craft during the intercepted wave you still would have had lots of deaths till the end. To quote Agent Mulder-it was one of the worst shit storms of all time.

ROTS Anakin

Banned
Got it. Helmut Kohl and Chirac are there to. Poor old John Major must have been the only world leader to cop it!

I wonder if Independence Day UK is cannon then. Sir Patrick Moore going toe to toe with the alien hun deserves it!

For those unfamiliar with the BBC radio play...

Independence+Day+UK+023577691.jpg

I'm sure every major nation has a plan to keep the chain of command alive. The major world leaders would have fled to a secure location the second the alien ships were ahead.

ROTS Anakin

Banned
What nations were part of the counter attack?

I could see huge propaganda coming from the Islamic world that God saved Mecca.

Blue Moon

Banned
I'm sure every major nation has a plan to keep the chain of command alive. The major world leaders would have fled to a secure location the second the alien ships were ahead.
Except perhaps some, like Major , stayed in their respective capitals like Whitmore did to help avoid mass panic. But unlike him did not escape at the last minute ?

Blue Moon

Banned
What nations were part of the counter attack?
Well we know that the US was one. Also General Grey says " We have confirmed reports of combat ready divisions in Europe, the Middle East and Asia". Prior to that we saw British , Israeli and Jordanian (?) pilots amongst others in the Middle East, Russian pilots and Chinese pilots. So pretty much whatever country still had a sizable number of planes and pilots at their disposal -and maybe some that did not have a sizable number of either?

Last edited:

SOMEONE survived in New York; a line in the movie suggests it's a station for ham radio operators after traditional communication channels have broken down.

As for what was left of the city after the attack, remember that it was enough to both topple the Statue of Liberty and leave her lying in the harbor, but not powerful enough to destroy the statue herself. I would imagine that the Bronx and Manhattan-facing parts of Brooklyn and Queens were toasted, but that the areas near the Nassau and Westchester county lines were relatively intact. In the novel, it's suggested the entire city and most of the metropolitan area was taken out; the edges of the disaster zone are given as Yonkers and "deep into Staten Island and New Jersey."

Well we know that the US was one. Also General Grey says " We have confirmed reports of combat ready divisions in Europe, the Middle East and Asia". Prior to that we saw British , Israeli and Jordanian (?) pilots amongst others in the Middle East, Russian pilots and Chinese pilots. So pretty much whatever country still had a sizable number of planes and pilots at their disposal -and maybe some that did not have a sizable number of either?

Great line from ID UK:

RAF officer (I think it might actually have been Colin Baker): "When this is all over and we've defeated these monsters, the Yanks'll take the credit for it, you wait and see."

I take it that if the city destroyers had not been defeated on the third wave, they would've wiped out all major cities by the end of a week?

The timeline forgets about the fourth wave which was already planned to come in the form of a ground invasion. Captain Hiller and Dave destroy the mothership before they can research the surface.

What would it've looked like if millions of them suddenly were on the bottom of the planet.

The next ship that is coming in 2016 is a giant harvester. It's going to root into the planet and consume natural resources right off the bat. The same thing takes place in the Dragonball Movie Tree of Might.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C95AFQXyzmI

The plot is pretty predictable too.

New giant alien ship arrives and sets off early alarms across the planet. Space defense force fails miserably to stop it, the moon bases are all destroyed too. Giant ship roots into the earth over North America and begins to harvest the natural resources of the planet in a matter of a few days. From the concept art we already know that giant tractor beams from it are going to be locating things under the ground and sucking them into its whole like bodies of water, surviving vegetation, metals and minerals in the earth, and more to feed the alien hive as it floats through space. Earth should look like a desert after the invasion is complete.

Last edited:

Blue Moon

Banned
Great line from ID UK:

RAF officer (I think it might actually have been Colin Baker): "When this is all over and we've defeated these monsters, the Yanks'll take the credit for it, you wait and see."
I can see why some might think so. but at the same time I have always thought that the movie took steps to try and show that it wasn't all Americans. Perhaps the sequel will be even more clear about that ?

Any thoughts on Korean reunification and final Mideast peace in the ID4 universe? How would Kim Jong Il, Bibi Netanyahu, and even President Armored Dinner Jacket of Iran handle all of this (assuming they were evacuated)?
I also noticed that the war of 1996 website mentions an alien holdout in the Congo in 2001. Comments?