Increasing 19th century Maori population

What would be the best way to dramatically increase the Maori population in New Zealand pre-1840?
I'm thinking earlier adoption of European agricultural methods/crops but even still, Maori were pretty quick to adopt them. However the biggest problem is disease which the Maori had little immunity to.
Bonus points for HEAVILY increasing the South Island Maori population too...
Any ideas?

One way to have the Maori expand would be if they are more prosperous while the colonies struggle to get off the ground. More Pakeha-Maori families might decide to "go native" offsetting some the effects of contact. Perhaps, having them maintain their independent granaries would help.

Admiral Matt

Gone Fishin'
Greater early contact with Europe or Asia that doesn't last might be a good method, I should think. Breathing space to adjust tended to help non-European people's.

All it'd take is some very minimal contact/trade with the Andes early on, long before the Spanish. The potato is one of those things that just loves to be shared around.
The sweet potato made it from South America to the New Zealand at or just after the time the first Māori arrived in the Land of the Long White Cloud. Obviously we don't know exactly where and when the Polynesians visited South America to collect sweet potato, but we know that they did, somehow. The potato could potentially come across at the same time.

The sweet potato made it from South America to the New Zealand at or just after the time the first Māori arrived in the Land of the Long White Cloud. Obviously we don't know exactly where and when the Polynesians visited South America to collect sweet potato, but we know that they did, somehow. The potato could potentially come across at the same time.

Okay, from what little I've seen, the introduction of the kumara into Polynesia was before the colonisation of Aotearoa, especially since its colonisation seems to be about 1300 AD, while there have been kumara remains in Hawai'i dating from 1100 AD. I wouldn't be surprised if the Polynesians did try to introduce the potato. However, since the tropics generally aren't very good for potato growth, I also wouldn't be surprised if they gave up on it.

Whether or not the Polynesians tried to introduce the potato as well as the kumara, this would then mean that we'd need another trip to the Americas to (re)introduce the potato. To achieve this, we're gonna need a motivation for long distance travel.

Fortunately, there is such a motivation: in about the 1500's a group of Polynesians, possibly Maori, maybe not, migrated from the South Island to Rekohu/Chatham Islands and became the Moriori. Perhaps from there, they could do a quick multi-month trip to South America. I'm not really sure how that would lead to the introduction of the potato into the South Island, but this probably would lead to an increase in Maori population.