In the World of Sorrows: What if Assyria had sacked Jerusalem in 701 BCE?

Hnau

Banned
IN THE WORLD OF SORROWS

What if Assyria had sacked Jerusalem in 701 BCE?

attachment.php

Sennacherib, the mighty king, king of the country of Assyria, sitting on the throne of judgment, at the entrance of the city of Jerusalem, saying: "I give permission for its slaughter."

attachment.php

The Assyrian army lays siege to Jerusalem, using battering rams and siege ramps.

-----​

Seven years before Hezekiah ascended the throne of Judah, the neighboring kingdom of Israel experienced irreversible disaster. Sargon II, King of Assyria, entered the kingdom of Israel in 721 BCE with a large army and captured the capital city of Samaria. After pillaging the countryside and killing thousands, the Assyrians carried off another twenty-seven thousand of Israel's inhabitants to Mesopotamia. At Sargon's command, other foreign peoples that he had conquered were ordered to settle the land and cultivate the empty fields, but Samaria was left a shattered ruin. Unknown to young Hezekiah at the time was that a similar fate awaited his own kingdom of Judah, merely twenty years later.

Hezekiah must have known the danger posed by Assyrian hegemony. After becoming king, he expanded his borders, strengthened Jerusalem’s walls, and reinforced the city’s waterworks. Equally important to Hezekiah was the defense of Judah’s soul, which he conducted by embracing prophetic consultation and religious reform in his nation. Supported by a reformist faction of the Judean elite, he believed that by focusing worship of the warrior-god of the royal house, Yahweh, that the kingdom would earn divine protection from the Assyrians. Strengthened, Jerusalem attracted refugees from the north, and at its height counted 25,000 inhabitants, five times that which the city contained in the days of Solomon. This burgeoning strength must have convinced Sennacherib to wage a most merciless war against Judah when the opportunity arose, to ensure further Assyrian hegemony over the south.

That opportunity arrived when the kingdoms of the Levant were promised protection by Egypt in return for rebellion against Assyrian domination. Eager to re-establish Judah’s independence, Hezekiah agreed to an alliance with Egypt, along with Sidqia, king of Ashkelon, and Luli, king of Tyre, and refused further payment of tribute to Asshur. In response to such defiance, Sennacherib moved quickly with a large army complete with extensive Assyrian siege weaponry. He targeted the coastal Levantine cities, taking one by one, from Sidon to Azjuru, before Kushite Egypt could come to their aid. On the plains of Eltekeh, the host of Egypt met the Assyrians in battle, succeeding in turning Sennacherib’s onslaught towards the north, but losing a decisive amount of soldiers.

As Egypt regrouped its army and waited for needed reinforcements led by Prince Taharqa, cousin of the Pharaoh, Sennacherib ravaged the countryside of Judah. Knowing that the window of time he had to bring Judah to its knees was was closing with Taharqa’s approach, Sennacherib ordered his forces to march aggressively against one target after another. Forty-six of the towns and villages that surrounded Jerusalem were razed, with Lachish falling in a dramatic siege, clearing the path towards Hezekiah’s capital. With Jerusalem vulnerable, the Assyrian army regrouped and surrounded the city as one host, their numbers so overwhelming that many fled the city, including the mercenaries hired by Hezekiah to protect it. Towers were built on every side of Jerusalem, from which archers fired on the defendants of the walls. Great mud ramps allowed infantry to press up and over Jerusalem's battlements. Despite poor water availability and the outbreak of disease, Sennacherib was eventually able to storm the city and set it afire.

Taharqa and his fresh Egyptian army arrived at Jerusalem too late. Poor logistics had delayed their advance. When they confronted Sennacherib and his armies, they had already assumed control of Judah’s former capital, as well as its walls, its water supplies, and the great many livestock and treasures stolen during their campaign. Hezekiah and his son, Manasseh, had been captured. The Egyptians decided to attempt a rescue of Jerusalem by conducting a siege of their own, as the mud ramps had not been fully destroyed, though the towers had been toppled. While they battled with the Assyrians in Jerusalem, however, other remnants of Sennacherib's host gathered in the north and pressed to relieve the city. In the end, Taharqa decided to cut his losses, and sent diplomats to negotiate for an end to hostilities. An agreement was made, that Hezekiah was to be imprisoned, along with his court and other Judean elites, and kept until the end of his days in Ashur. Hezekiah’s eight-year old son Manasseh was to rule the kingdom of Judah under continued Assyrian vassalage. Philistia was to become a neutral buffer area between with Assyria and Egypt. When Sennacherib finally departed, he carried off ten thousand of Jerusalem's inhabitants, much as his father had done to Samaria. Along with the devastation of its countryside, Jerusalem's population was reduced to a third and wouldn't recover for a century. The religious vitality that Hezekiah had encouraged during his reign had been sapped. Within the year, the worship of Asherah, Baal, and El returned to the Temple of Solomon, as it was hoped that the older gods could provide Judah with new protection and vitality, where Yahweh had failed.

-----​

"As for the king of Judah, Hezekiah, who had not submitted to my authority, I besieged and captured forty-six of his fortified cities, along with many smaller towns, taken in battle with my battering rams. I gave these to the kings of Ashod, Ekron, and Gaza. I then fought against the inhabitants of Jerusalem with the power of the gods, and it was conquered. Hezekiah I took prisoner, to become as my caged bird in Ashur. In the place of Hezekiah, I appointed Manasseh, his son. As plunder, I took 250,130 people, great and small, male and female, along with a great number of animals including horses, mules, donkeys, camels, oxen, sheep, and many great treasures. These I settled in the midst of Assyria, to be counted as Assyrians."​

- Sennacherib's Prism​

Last edited:
I don't know ancient history of Levant but this sounds intresting. This has already big change for Judaism.

I own a copy of a book called The Rescue of Jerusalem: The Alliance Between Hebrews and Africans in 701 B.C. which postulates that the Assyrian siege of Jerusalem in 701 BC was lifted, and the Israelite religion preserved, by the approach of a Kushite-Egyptian relief expedition. While the biblical account of an outbreak of disease may have happened, and in fact would have been likely, the primary factor in lifting the siege was the military threat facing the Assyrian army from that of the Egyptians. From an Amazon review:

At the turn of the eighth century B.C., a mighty Assyrian army entered Judah and fought its way to the very gates of Jerusalem, poised, the prophet Isaiah warned, to "smash the city as easily as someone hurling a clay pot against the wall." But the assault never came; instead, the Assyrian army turned and fled, an event that has been called the Deliverance of Jerusalem. Whereas biblical accounts attribute the Assyrian retreat to divine intervention, journalist Henry Aubin offers an explanation that is miraculous in its own light: the siege was broken by the arrival of an army from Kushite Egypt--an army, that is, made up of black Africans. These Kushites figured in historical texts, Aubin continues, until the late 19th century, when racist scholars expunged them from the record--a process that, Aubin observes, coincided with the European conquest and colonization of Africa. The Kushite intervention assured the survival of the Hebrew people, Aubin asserts, and it deserves to be acknowledged anew. Well-written and carefully developed, though based on sometimes-uncertain evidence, Aubin's argument will doubtless excite discussion

So I assume that in this TL, the Egyptian relief expedition was delayed, so the Assyrians had more time? Or else the Assyrians decided to make one last assault on the city walls before retreating from the approaching Kushite-Egyptians, and met with success?

Hnau

Banned
watch out for Urartu, the Cimmerians and the Scythians

Indeed! I'm studying them right now. My current question is what butterflies may have affected their invasion of Lydia.

I own a copy of a book called The Rescue of Jerusalem: The Alliance Between Hebrews and Africans in 701 B.C. which postulates that the Assyrian siege of Jerusalem in 701 BC was lifted, and the Israelite religion preserved, by the approach of a Kushite-Egyptian relief expedition. While the biblical account of an outbreak of disease may have happened, and in fact would have been likely, the primary factor in lifting the siege was the military threat facing the Assyrian army from that of the Egyptians.

So I assume that in this TL, the Egyptian relief expedition was delayed, so the Assyrians had more time? Or else the Assyrians decided to make one last assault on the city walls before retreating from the approaching Kushite-Egyptians, and met with success?

Bingo! So you've read the book as well. :) It is quite convincing. It seems the Kushite prince Taharqa was indeed the "angel of the Lord" spoken of in the Bible, appearing miraculously to break off the Assyrian siege. In this timeline, as can happen during military campaigns, the Egyptian reinforcements suffered logistical difficulties that delayed their advance long enough that the Assyrians were able to duplicate the same success they had in taking Lachish.

Heh, I was just studying the Bronze Age in my archaeology class. The Assyrians sound sort of like Bronze Age Nazis.

And, is that one of the theories for how Jewish monotheism developed? People turning to the warrior god for protection?

Hnau

Banned
Richard Harrow said:
And, is that one of the theories for how Jewish monotheism developed? People turning to the warrior god for protection?

Yes, it is. Yahweh is believed to have originally been a god of war and the god of the royal line of David. Over time, he was identified as one and the same with El, the father god, and this combination made him of supreme importance in the pantheon, eclipsing all others. Hezekiah's religious reforms, which embraced prophetic counsel and focused worship on the Temple, where faith could be monopolized by the state, were linked by Judean historians with the miraculous rescue of the capital from Sennacherib. Hezekiah's successors, Mannaseh and Amon, reversed those reforms, but were also responsible for the revitalization of the rural economy, which created new wealth inequality in Judea. Josiah centralized power away from the new merchant class and rural aristocrats, garnering support from the poor, by returning to the policies of his great-grandfather Hezekiah, which focused worship on Yahweh at the Temple. He also used new texts, such as much or all that now constitutes the Book of Deuteronomy, to reinforce his reforms. He was hoping to regain the Kingdom of Israel and build a new power in the Levant, and he would have, too, as the old powers like Assyria were weakening and Jerusalem was growing in population and wealth by facilitating trade from Egypt to Assyria... however, he lost a major battle to Necho II and was killed. The dream was throttled even more when the Babylonians invaded. But by that time, the national cult of Yahweh had solidified, and would soon develop into a full monotheistic tradition in Babylon. So the theory goes, at least.

The POD, however, will throw all of that into flux. I've always wanted to know what would happen if monotheism had been delayed a little longer. :)

Last edited:
Hmm, my understanding of the Siege of Jerusalem was more that Hezekiah essentially caved in the face of the siege and agreed to pay tribute, and which point the usual Assyrian "why sack cities that are happy to give us money?" approach prevailed, especially given the ongoing conflict with Elam. You might have a more convincing PoD if you give some specific reason for Hezekiah to stay in revolt longer and not cave.

My current question is what butterflies may have affected their invasion of Lydia.

According to my readings, the Scythians pushed the Cimmerians through Caucasus to Anatolia, leading with conflicts with the Kingdom of Urartu. What pushed the Scythians to move through Caucasus? Dont know.

Heh, I was just studying the Bronze Age in my archaeology class. The Assyrians sound sort of like Bronze Age Nazis.

This is about 300-400 years after the end of the Bronze age silly. Everything's Early Iron Age now.

Hnau

Banned
Hmm, my understanding of the Siege of Jerusalem was more that Hezekiah essentially caved in the face of the siege and agreed to pay tribute, and which point the usual Assyrian "why sack cities that are happy to give us money?" approach prevailed, especially given the ongoing conflict with Elam. You might have a more convincing PoD if you give some specific reason for Hezekiah to stay in revolt longer and not cave.

According to Aubin, that Hezekiah would pay tribute wasn't decided until after Taharqa's army forced the Assyrians to abandon the siege, once diplomats were exchanged by all parties. In any case, maybe here Hezekiah just didn't offer tribute, or the Assyrian siege broke Jerusalem's defenses fast enough that Hezekiah was still holding onto that card when they passed over the city walls. There are so many factors that could explain this, that I don't feel like it needs to be explained thoroughly. I believe it suffices to say: in 701 BCE Jerusalem could have fallen to the Assyrians, just as Lachish had fallen to the Assyrians a short time before, and in this timeline, Jerusalem did fall to the Assyrians because of whatever divergent combination of factors.

Pio2013 said:
According to my readings, the Scythians pushed the Cimmerians through Caucasus to Anatolia, leading with conflicts with the Kingdom of Urartu. What pushed the Scythians to move through Caucasus? Dont know.

I'll probably still have the Scythians on the move, just because it doesn't seem my point-of-divergence would affect them all that much yet in this early part of their history, and I can't detect any potential butterflies that would.

Last edited:

Hnau

Banned
The Assyrian Triple Monarchy, Part One

Esarhaddon, the youngest son of Sennacherib, king of Assyria, was named early on as the royal heir after his older brothers were found to be involved in court intrigues. In a last bid for power, Sennacherib’s eldest son, Adramulissi, had court allies manipulate the king into sending Esarhaddon to command an Assyrian garrison in Cilicia, far from the capital of Nineveh. Adramulissi then killed his father by arranging for a large obelisk to be toppled onto him during a palace tour in 682 BCE, then claimed that palace servants loyal to Esarhaddon were the culprits. He then declared his ascension to the throne of Nineveh, in violation of previous royal edicts, and began to consolidate his power in the capital. However, Esarhaddon's distance proved to be of less protection than his elder brother expected. After receiving news of his father’s death, Esarhaddon marched his entire force eastwards to fight for his right to the throne, arriving before his brothers had established full control over the city. After several weeks of civil war in the vicinity of the capital, the youngest son of Sennacherib ultimately prevailed. He had Adramulissi, his conspirators, and their families banished from the empire or executed, and was crowned king of Assyria the following year.

In the years that followed, Esarhaddon rebuilt temples in both Ashur and Babylon, fulfilling the prophecies made of him during his youth, and repelled attacks by Arabs and Cimmerians. During these campaigns, he reflected on family. His wife, Ashurhamat, had given him three sons in three years, and they grew healthy and strong in his royal palace. He did not want them to fight amongst each other, as he had against his brothers. Much worse would be if they killed him for his throne, as had happened to his father. Esarhaddon swore to Sin, Lord of Wisdom, that he would never take another wife, as this had created much jealousy between his own siblings, or bear bastard children. He also promised that he would not let his sons destroy his empire from within.

attachment.php

Esarhaddon, king of Assyria
Esarhaddon’s oath divided his attention throughout his life. War often called Esarhaddon away from Nineveh, to fight against the Hittites, Elamites, Mannaeans, Medes, and Sidonians. As he directed sieges of defiant cities, he prayed often that his wife and servants were teaching his sons to be loyal to one another. When he could visit, he lectured the princes on the importance of their mutual inheritance, and the terrible blasphemy that was treason. Eventually, his sons became men, eager to claim honorable portfolios that befitted Assyrian princes. In 672 BCE, Esarhaddon finally unveiled the plan that would lead to the Assyrian Triple Monarchy. He named his second son, Siniddinapla, crown prince of Babylon. After taking a wife, he would be given a palace in Babylon from which he would raise a family, and rule directly over their ancestral enemies, to give them a semblance of autonomy. A year later, Esarhaddon’s third son, Ashurbanipal, was named crown prince of Damascus, to do the same there when he came of age.

The eldest brother, Shalimahum, would still rule in Nineveh over the entirety of the empire, as "king of the universe". For this reason his responsibilities over the royal court were of paramount importance, and the emphasis of his training was in administration rather than war-making. When Esarhaddon marched against Egypt in 671 BCE, he took with him the younger prince Siniddinapla, leaving Shalimahum to manage the capital. The campaign went well: Lower Egypt was taken and the Pharoah Taharqa was forced to retreat up the Nile. As Esarhaddon ransacked the cities of the delta and prepared to ship treasures back to his cities on the Euphrates, Esarhaddon received word that Shalimahum had uncovered a conspiracy between the nobility and had had them imprisoned. This inspired enough confidence in his heir that Esarhaddon stayed three more years in Egypt to consolidate his gains in Egypt. At his departure, eighteen-year old Siniddinapla was given command of the most powerful Assyrian garrison in the delta. The prince later proved his leadership abilities by not only defeating an attack from the Upper Nile, but also by killing Taharqa in battle, eliminating a major enemy to Assyria.

After four years in Egypt, Sinidinnapla left for Babylon with Naneferheres, the daughter of Necho, the new vassal king of Egypt appointed by Esarhaddon. The two had their first son, Ashurnadinapli, in 664 BCE. That same year, the Kushites invaded Lower Egypt under their new Pharaoh Tantamani, son of Taharqa. News of the Kushite victory prompted the Elamites to rise up and march on Babylon. Prince Ashurbanipal, who had been living in Damascus for three years, led the Assyrian counterattack against Egypt, while his brothers repelled the Elamites. Having never seen a battle between two armies, but having the benefit of being educated by some of the best generals in Assyria, Ashurbanipal led the Assyrian host to victory again and again. His campaign ended after they marched up the Nile and sacked Thebes. At the same time, Shalimahum and Sinidinnapla repelled the Elamites and killed their king, Urtaku. While Esarhaddon waxed old in Nineveh, he saw his vision come to life: the three princes defending the empire together, and raising families of their own that would also stand strong in unity. He died in his bed in 659 BCE, proud, and hopeful for the future.

As planned, at his father’s passing, Shalimahum was crowned as king of Assyria, the second of his name. He then visited Babylon and Damascus in turn to crown his brothers, granting them full political authority over their cities and adjacent territories. The Triple Monarchy Period would last twenty-eight years, and would be known as a time of new building, renovation, and the successful defense of the Assyrian empire from its enemies. However, Esarhaddon’s dream would bless his empire for only a short while; in the end, it would ultimately lead to its downfall…​

Last edited:

Hnau

Banned
The Assyrian Triple Monarchy, Part Two

Shalimahum II, king of Assyria, proved loyal to his father by crowning his brothers, Ashurbanipal and Sinidinnapla, as co-monarchs. The camaraderie of the brothers soon turned competitive within a few short years as each king began to associate more and more with their city, subjects, and local power groups. Each began new efforts to build new temples, renovate older structures, and improve city infrastructure. In addition, Shalimahum focused on building new fortresses to protect the northern and eastern borderlands while Ashurbanipal began work on a new palace that would feature one of the largest libraries of the age.

Increased construction and renovation required increased revenue, which became a sore point between all three rulers. As king of the imperial capital, Shalimahum extracted tax and tributes from all conquered territories and peoples outside of his brother's domains in order to maintain Assyrian military might. Sinidinnapla argued constantly for tax revenues from the entirety of Chaldea, instead of only the northern part, as well as tribute from the Elamites, who had to constantly be suppressed. He was eager to build up new walls for Babylon and its standing army with these new funds. The elder brother justified the status quo by pointing to the fact that Assyrian armies were always forced to come to Babylon’s defense when it was stricken with rebellion, therefore they should receive the spoils from their enemies.

attachment.php

Newly renovated palaces and temples of Nineveh
After Shalimahum began a six-year war with the upstart Medians in 657 BCE, the situation changed, as Siniddinapla forced his brother to accede to his demands before he would provide reinforcements. After receiving this promise, Siniddinapla led a Babylonian host into Elam, sacked Susa and placed Assyrian and Babylonian governors over the region, justifying a reward for compensation. The Median War ended in 651 BCE after Shalimahum paid a northern Scythian host to invade and bring him the head of the Median king Phraortes. The brutal Scythians were so successful they decided to remain in Media to rule under their king Madys, which they did for the next twenty-three years.

After the ascent of Psamtik I, king of Egypt, in 649 BCE, forces were rallied for another attack on the Assyrian empire. Psamtik led an offensive into the Levant a year later, eager to throw off Assyrian domination that his father had relied on for his own power base. This coincided with numerous revolts by Arabs, Babylonians, Chaldeans, Elamites and Nabateans. Ashurbanipal followed his brother’s example by securing a promise from Shalimahum for authority over the southern Levant before committing his forces against the Egyptians. The war lasted three years, ending with the sacking of Susiana and a negotiated peace with Psamtik I at the urging of Siniddinapla, who depended on Egyptian merchants in his power base. Shalimahum acknowledged that Egypt was too distant and unruly to keep under Assyrian control, and so Egypt regained its independence. Even so, Ashurbanipal’s failure to turn back Egyptian forces was used as a justification to renege on promises to expand his authority. The failure to repeat the glorious campaign of his youth struck Ashurbanipal hard, and his elder brother’s shaming caused even more sorrow. This began a major rift between Ashurbanipal and Shalimahum, which only grew worse with time.

In the decade that followed, the Assyrian Empire enjoyed a long peace. King Shalimahum II was an efficient and fair ruler, and while he had disputes with his brothers over a number of issues, none were willing to push for their interests hard enough to cause armed conflict. In Shalimahum's later life he indulged more and more in the finer privileges of kingship, attending to many banquets, celebrations, and hunting expeditions. His health worsened following the extended revelries, and no amount of religious ceremony could reverse it. In 636 BCE, the king suffered from a heart attack while on horseback, causing him to fall to his death. It would be the ascent of the crown prince, Ashurnasirpal III, that would end the relatively peaceful Triple Monarchy period.

Ashurnasirpal inherited his father’s sense of duty and honor, and love of luxury, but little else. He had been trained as a soldier and commander young, during the Median war, and boasted often of his martial achievements. He heard his father often complain of his uncles, who were constantly seeking greater power and riches, but had little of a personal relationship with them and their families, which had been living distant from Nineveh almost since before he was born. It was thus Ashurnasirpal’s desire to be stronger than his father, by centralizing power in the empire instead of the other way around. His position on this was well known by his uncles, as was his love of festivity. However, they made no move to keep him from acceding to the throne.

The stability of the Assyrian Triple Monarchy was challenged within Ashurnasirpal’s first year. With raids by Cimmerians, Scythians, Medes and Persians increasing on the borderlands, Ashurnasirpal ordered the return of Chaldean and Elamite tribute to Nineveh, thereby restricting Siniddinapla’s power to Babylon alone. Not willing to bend the knee to his nephew, Siniddinapla gathered those armies loyal to him, Assyrian, Babylonian, and Chaldean, to resist the edict. Hostilities escalated quickly from there as the Babylonians secured an alliance with the Egyptians to enforce the regime change. Then began the Assyrian Civil War...​

Last edited:
I had somehow missed the previous update, and have only now read the two most recent updates.

I'm liking this. Big butterflies have already been at work, it appears that the Near East will be a very different place from OTL.

Hnau

Banned
The Assyrian Civil War, Part One

The Assyrian Triple Monarchy was a juggernaut of military power in 636 BCE. Its enemies had never long held its productive heartland, along the Euphrates and Tigris Rivers. The empire grew at a constant rate because it maintained order in this region through even the dark ages. It supplemented its power through frequent conquests that legitimized the high king at Nineveh. Opponents feared the Assyrian army for its discipline and organization. Their record of achievement on the battlefield solidified their reputation.

If someone were to guess that Nineveh, the Assyrian capital, would fall in twenty-seven years, ridicule would have likely followed. Yet King Esarhaddon's reforms had already set the stage for such a bloody final act to bring the story of Assyrian domination to an end. His Triple Monarchy system could not last. While the three co-monarchs trusted one another, their hold on power was absolute. That trust was thinly stretched by the time Ashurnasirpal took the throne in Nineveh. His demand for tribute earmarked for Babylonian treasuries shattered it for good.

Siniddinapla, King in Babylon, was twenty years older than his nephew and an experienced leader. Many throughout the empire saw him as an example for a new kind of Assyria. His queen was Egyptian, his court was multinational, and his city flourished with trade. Negotiating the independence of Egypt ten years prior earned him a reputation for fairness and wisdom. To let his nephew curb his growing power would be to lose prestige and the confidence of his subjects. With the support of King Psamtik I of Egypt, Siniddinapla's brother-in-law, the Assyrians could not roll over Babylonia easily. By declaring war, Siniddinapla hoped to force his nephew to negotiate. If Asurnasirpal did not, he would have to organize new armies, or pull them from the northern borderlands. He did not understand the depths of his nephew's intransigence, which would lead to a seven-year war.

Psamtik led the first offensive into the Levant. His generals promised peace to all who would refuse to pay further tribute to Nineveh. They imprisoned those who remained loyal to Ashurnasirpal and kept them as hostages, giving their thrones to others. The Egyptian army met little resistance, and marched quickly to the plains south of Damascus. There they readied themselves for the campaign against the Assyrian heartland, and pressured Damascus to join them. Meanwhile, Siniddinapla marshaled his forces and expelled Nineveh loyalists from the south.

The King in Damascus was Ashurbanipal, intelligent and ruthless. He was a patron of the arts and loved knowledge so much that his personal library was a wonder of the time. His paranoia had kept him alive and in power. With a large Egyptian army to the south of his capital, he decided he could not wait to take sides in the developing conflict. He organized an Aramean host and demanded of his nephew authority over the entire Mediterranean coast.

attachment.php

Assyrian sappers destroying walls in the Battle of Tadmor

Nineveh was more than capable of mounting a defense of the Assyrian heartland. After receiving reports that his uncle was seizing the property of political rivals, Ashurnasirpal sent his largest army south. Sinidinnapla harried the host to the outskirts of Babylon, then fought a series of inconclusive battles outside of the city. When Aram-Damascus and Egypt began attacking in the west, Nineveh was unprepared to respond. The Aramean-Egyptian host fell hard against Til Barsip and Carchemish, taking great spoils. They purged the cities of the Assyrian presence and installed Aramean governors. Ashurnasirpal ordered new conscription and troop relocation from the north. The army in Babylonia fell back, pillaging the countryside, but yielding any chances for a decisive victory. Sinidinnapla consolidated his forces and began an offensive north. The tides began to change when an Assyrian army routed a large Egyptian contingent in the Battle of Tadmor. Believing this victory would lead to a protracted war against Babylon, the Elamites revolted. They offered their loyalty to Nineveh in return for independence, and raided Chaldea. Sinidinnapla was forced to send a fresh Babylonian army to retake the region. If not for this distraction, the insurrectionists may have trapped the Assyrians in a deadly vice.

Fighting continued for two years on all these fronts, with no side possessing enough of an advantage to bring the war to a decisive end. Meanwhile, Egyptian generals befriended Aramean officers, and persuaded them to betray King Ashurbanipal. While Ashurbanipal had taken on Aramean dress and began following local traditions, he was still considered an Assyrian. Pro-Assyrian Arameans dominated his royal court. He also continued to give offerings to Ashur and this made him unpopular. Sensing weakness, the Egyptians supplied Aramean officers with the information they needed to launch a coup d'etat. They took over his palace and imprisoned Ashurbanipal to his own quarters. Hadadezer, a noble-blooded Aramean officer, married Ashurbanipal's daughter and declared himself the new king. Once he cleared Damascus of political rivals, he had Ashurbanipal beheaded. The old king had nurtured autonomy in the region, but the new king would lead it to full independence.

Last edited: