In The Ruins Of The High Castle: A MITHC Story

Keep It To Yourself
This story is based off material in the book, TV series, and my own ideas. I will be expanding on how the Axis fell as the story continues.

Munich suburbs, German Federal Republic

"So Emily," her mother said, passing her a plate of lamb. "I hear there's someone at school whose caught your eye." She winced as her father and sister turned to look at her. The brunette girl grit her teeth in agitation. Did her little sister Angela squeal on her? She only hoped that word didn't spread through the rest of her middle school class. It made her even angrier that her parents now knew. Especially her mother.

"A crush?" her father said, laughing. "Have you already decided you don't need me as much as you used to?"

"So, who is he?" her mom asked. Emily kept silent.

"It's nothing."

"I beg to differ," her mom replied. "Why didn't you tell me? This is wonderful."

"I wanted to keep it to myself." It took a lot of self restraint to spell out exactly why.

Emily didn't think very highly the women in her family ever since she turned 11. It produced Party members since Hitler took power. Both her parents had some level of involvement in it even though they were still young when the Reich fell. Her grandmothers, mother, and aunt all went through the BDM-NS-Frauenshaft pipeline and believed in the idea of children, church, kitchen. Emily hated the kind of homebody the party promoted so much. The ideal German woman seemed so empty headed, so void of ambition, so dependent on her husband for any sort of self worth. She knew that it wasn't healthy to have this kind of contempt for her family members but she couldn't help it. The ideology they grew up with made her stomach churn. Useless eaters? Subhumans? How could any belief system be so...anti-human?

It made her reluctant to confide anything to the women in her family. Crushes were something she already hated the idea of talking to them about.

She'd never trust them not to freak about the fact that her crush was a Jewish boy. Emily felt there was still too much Nazi in them to tell them. Luca Taub was a quiet boy but one whose intelligence quickly got her attention. He helped her with some of her science homework and was excited to find out he wrote in his spare time.

"Because I wanted to avoid being interrogated, that's why," she said flatly. "Isn't that what the party taught you? If you want to find out something from your kids you don't stop asking questions till you find out what you want?" Her mother's face fell.

"Dear, I don't want to pry. I'm just so excited! Young love is something beautiful and I want you to enjoy as best you can. What the party told me when I was your age has nothing to do with this. I want to help you figure things out if you don't know how to talk to this boy."

"Apologize to your mother," her father said.

"No."

"Emily, please, she's so happy for you. This isn't necessary."

"How did you find out?" Emily asked her mother. Her mother opened her mouth to talk but looked uncertain.

"Tell me!" she shouted.

"Angela just...said you seemed interested in a boy in your class. That's all. I don't know who he is." Her mother looked crestfallen.

"Do you really think that you can't tell me something like this?"

"Yes." Her mom sighed.

"I'm...I'm sorry. I guess I should've...asked in private." Her father's eyes narrowed.

"Emily, tell her you're sorry. Now." Emily sighed. She assumed she staved off future prying for at least a little while.

"Fine. I shouldn't have spoken to you like that. Can we just eat now?"

"Of course," her mom said with a nod. Emily started cutting up her lamb, making a mental note to make Angela pay later.

Avoid Contact When Possible
Richmond, Virginia, United States

David Winslow checked his watch before looking up at the approaching bus. Right on time. He'd aced his midterms and couldn't wait to show his family. He strode inside and took a seat, keeping his gaze on the buildings outside.

He still had trouble imagining his hometown in the days his parents were as young as he was. David could still see remnants of the massive grey and white buildings that filled it during that time, but when shown pictures of the capital of the restored Confederacy, he couldn't imagine what it would be like to live surrounded by such dominating architecture.

Ever since the Axis emerged victorious and Hitler gave his blessing to the Neo-confederates in the South who sought to restore the CSA, they sought to remake Richmond. The new Confederate capital had megastructures that seemed a mixture of Antebellum and Nazi architecture. In the city center was the tower where Chairman Thurmond oversaw the affairs of his domain. Nearby it was the enormous mausoleum where the CSA's generals were interned so they could be paid respects. Overlooking the eastern part of the city was the stadium where Billy Graham and his protege Jerry Falwell addressed congregations of fifty thousand people, all of them white. Right over the James River used to be a large building resembling a manor house, the 'Hall of Southern Culture' that held huge cotillions.

All of these structures and more were built with the labor of enslaved blacks like many of the men in Darius's family as well as political prisoners. Like in the other fascist countries, the Confederacy drew on its convicts for construction projects as well as low level manufacturing. He'd seen a former labor camp that was established in the late 1940s that run until the Confederate government fell, with its wooden inmate housing and looming guard towers. He visited it with his eighth grade class as a field trip.

David's rumination was interrupted by the feeling that someone was looming over him. He slowly looked up to see a girl with dirty red hair and freckles smiling at him.

"Hiya," she said. "What's up, David?"

He recognized her, even though her sudden appearance still surprised him.

Kate Bartlett was a classmate of his at Cardwell High, one who he knew to have a sizable crush on him. He saw the way her face lit up when he answered tough questions, she always laughed at his jokes and he sometimes caught her staring at him when she thought he wasn't looking, a huge blush on her face. Out of a mixture of his family's experiences during the fascist period and his own tastes, he decided that he'd be civil with her but didn't have any intention of reciprocating her feelings.

David was hesitant to openly say it, but her being white was a big reason he intended to make sure she wasn't anything more than an acquaintance.

"Not much," he said flatly. She started twirling a lock of her hair.

"Marty Haskins is hosting a party at his place next Saturday," Kate said. "You...wanna go?" David picked up on the unspoken 'with me' almost instantly.

"I've got plans then. Sorry." Her smile diminished a little.

"That's alright." She took a seat near him and David went back to looking outside. He knew her eyes were on him when he got to his stop and stepped off the bus.

His parents were going to be weirded out by this just like they always were whenever he interacted with Kate. They didn't support or discourage his policy on not getting romantically involved with white girls, but they understood why he kept to it.

His midterms results should provide a welcome distraction though.

Is the idea of Alternate Dimensions going to be discussed like it was in the Show? Please don't shoot the messenger I know fans have made their displeasure known .

We pretty much know after the death of John Smith, the North American part of the Reich broke away under Bill Whitcroft. Most Fandom claims Whitcroft re-established the United States of America (Canada? Mexico?) soon after Smith's death and we can also assume the revived USA will become a potent new enemy for the Reich.

What then of Goertzmann and the rest of the Reich? Would the violent secession of the USA stimulate revolt in other parts of the world? Could we see an unlikely US-Japanese Alliance now assisting the European Resistance (if there is one) in overthrowing German control?

Having disposed violently of most of the Nazi leadership, does Goertzmann move away from Nazi ideology and towards a more authoritarian personal rule?

We pretty much know after the death of John Smith, the North American part of the Reich broke away under Bill Whitcroft. Most Fandom claims Whitcroft re-established the United States of America (Canada? Mexico?) soon after Smith's death and we can also assume the revived USA will become a potent new enemy for the Reich.

What then of Goertzmann and the rest of the Reich? Would the violent secession of the USA stimulate revolt in other parts of the world? Could we see an unlikely US-Japanese Alliance now assisting the European Resistance (if there is one) in overthrowing German control?

Having disposed violently of most of the Nazi leadership, does Goertzmann move away from Nazi ideology and towards a more authoritarian personal rule?
I'd probably a Nazi-American Civil War, because Witchcroft is vague about declaring independence. Loyalists to Berlin would immediately clash with the Witchcroft forces.

Re-establishing the United States would be far-fetched. The American public has been complacent with Nazi rule for the last 15-17 years of occupation. It has became the status quo of American society to fly the red, white, and blue with the swastika on the canton.

The Americans too are distrustful and divided of each other. The American Resistance would see the Nazi Americans as traitors to the Republic. Not to mention the fact the Resistance themselves are suffering infighting among members and aren't saints to begin with. Then you'd have the BCR, who distrust both the American Resistance and the Nazi Americans due to Jim Crow Laws in pre-war society.

Goertzmann would probably fire a nuke at the Atlantic in order to sway the American Reich from declaring independence. Autonomy =/= independence and Germany would not want their American puppet state to become too wayward (think Taiwan declaring independence from the PRC). He would have maintained the Nazi ideology either way, but him as the sole wielder of power and those who oppose him gets shot.

There won't be a U.S.-Japanese alliance. It's just ironic that the BCR's best supplier of weapons and protection would have been the Japanese themselves. Imagine if the BCR actually receive Japanese support, the BCR could have mounted a Vietnam War-like insurgency in the West Coast against any German forces.

But it is not impossible to restore the United States, I believe that there would be a civil war between the Nazis and the followers of Whitcroft, which Whitcroft would win.

But it is not impossible to restore the United States, I believe that there would be a civil war between the Nazis and the followers of Whitcroft, which Whitcroft would win.
Witchcroft was vague in what he meant by "declaring independence." He'd probably mean making another America but not the United States as we know it.

BCR could have mounted a Vietnam War-like insurgency in the West Coast against any German forces.
Aren't they getting weapons from Communist China and the Remnants of the USSR? Speaking of the USSR, if they manage to retake eastern europe from the Germans, They will need to be incredibly zealous and honestly it would probably just be a reverse genocide.

Witchcroft fue vago en lo que quiso decir con "declarar la independencia". Probablemente se referiría a hacer otra América, pero no los Estados Unidos como los conocemos.
I understand about another America, but if Bill Whitcroft had wanted to win and try to unite the American people in his favor, he would inevitably have had to ally with the resistance, and although 17 years have passed since the occupation, many Americans still have the United States of before. of the war in the head and bill whitcroft would use that to create a common side for this new civil war that he would win again

I can only imagine Whitcroft's men raising the pre-war flag of the United States at the SS headquarters in New York and the destruction of the colossus that replaced the Statue of Liberty.

Aren't they getting weapons from Communist China and the Remnants of the USSR? Speaking of the USSR, if they manage to retake eastern europe from the Germans, They will need to be incredibly zealous and honestly it would probably just be a reverse genocide.
It's ambigious what the BCR meant by "allies in China"? That speaks a lot of possibilities. Perhaps there was a rump People's Republic that had a coastline to ship arms?
I understand about another America, but if Bill Whitcroft had wanted to win and try to unite the American people in his favor, he would inevitably have had to ally with the resistance, and although 17 years have passed since the occupation, many Americans still have the United States of before. of the war in the head and bill whitcroft would use that to create a common side for this new civil war that he would win again
Too bad as time passes, pre-war Americans have become complacent with Nazism and the equivalent of the Baby Boomers don't have memories of what it was like.
I can only imagine Whitcroft's men raising the pre-war flag of the United States at the SS headquarters in New York and the destruction of the colossus that replaced the Statue of Liberty.
That would be a great middle finger to Germany.