In Bush v. Gore (December 2000), SCOTUS orders state-wide recount of Florida vote ? ?

They should resolve this in the future by declaring the state a tie and giving 50 percent of the electors to each candidate.
Or politicians could learn to accept that in any election its possible for your opponent to beat you by 1 vote.

The problem in 2000 had more to do with the voting technology being used at the time, optical scanners and punched ballots, which left room for ambiguities when voters under or over voted, or left an accidental mark on the ballot. Newer technologies improve on past mistakes, like allowing voters to correct under/over votes before leaving the polling station, no ambiguous marks on a ballot.

Federal law, 3 U.S.C. Sec.5 provides that state law resolves popular vote ties. Florida election law currently requires tied candidates to "draw lots." Other states have used dice, playing cards. I'd prefer trials by combat.

Bush v. Gore was decided by a 5-4 vote, and that’s one reason the Supreme Court lost credibility. In fact, SCOTUS lost quite a bit of credibility due to this decision. Not the country. For those of us who are American citizens, our country is so much bigger, braver, louder, splashier, kinder and more optimistic, than just the government.
There were 2 separate questions. The headliner was 5-4 but the other question was 7-2.

Or politicians could learn to accept that in any election its possible for your opponent to beat you by 1 vote.

The problem in 2000 had more to do with the voting technology being used at the time, optical scanners and punched ballots, which left room for ambiguities when voters under or over voted, or left an accidental mark on the ballot. Newer technologies improve on past mistakes, like allowing voters to correct under/over votes before leaving the polling station, no ambiguous marks on a ballot.

Federal law, 3 U.S.C. Sec.5 provides that state law resolves popular vote ties. Florida election law currently requires tied candidates to "draw lots." Other states have used dice, playing cards. I'd prefer trials by combat.

IMO, the real lesson from 2000 is to make sure your ballot is easily understood by the electorate. A decisive amount of people voted for Pat Buchanan instead of Al Gore by mistake.

The real lesson is that Democrat Vice-Presidents never ascend to the Presidency unless (a) their boss dies in office or (b) their opponent is Donald Trump.

The real lesson is that Democrat Vice-Presidents never ascend to the Presidency unless (a) their boss dies in office or (b) their opponent is Donald Trump.
Martin_Van_Buren.jpg

IMO, the real lesson from 2000 is to make sure your ballot is easily understood by the electorate. A decisive amount of people voted for Pat Buchanan instead of Al Gore by mistake.
I have a friend who's an attorney with my state's election commission. He has a sample Palm County, FL butterfly ballot in a frame on his wall. The real McCoy looks less confusing than the pics on the Internet, but I can see how an elderly person could make the mistake. However, I always thought that this claim was over-stated. If you knew you mistakenly voted for Buchanan, turn in the spoiled ballot and get a new one while your at the polling station, like thousands of voters actually did. If one didn't realize they mistakenly voted for Buchanan when they punched the wrong hole and are standing there looking at it, how do they suddenly come to the realization the next day, with absolute certainty, that a mistake was made?

But here's the real kick in the head, the Palm County Elections Commissioner who designed that ballot was a Democrat.

I have a friend who's an attorney with my state's election commission. He has a sample Palm County, FL butterfly ballot in a frame on his wall. The real McCoy looks less confusing than the pics on the Internet, but I can see how an elderly person could make the mistake. However, I always thought that this claim was over-stated. If you knew you mistakenly voted for Buchanan, turn in the spoiled ballot and get a new one while your at the polling station, like thousands of voters actually did. If one didn't realize they mistakenly voted for Buchanan when they punched the wrong hole and are standing there looking at it, how do they suddenly come to the realization the next day, with absolute certainty, that a mistake was made?

But here's the real kick in the head, the Palm County Elections Commissioner who designed that ballot was a Democrat.

Well, when the margin is a few hundred votes but there are several thousand overvoting mistakes...it doesn't take all that many confused people to cause a problem.

how do they suddenly come to the realization the next day, with absolute certainty, that a mistake was made?

They can't be sure.

But there were a much higher number of Jews for Buchanan than you would expect. So it's highly likely that they meant to vote for Gore. If you're a voter in that county, you just can't be sure you were one of them.

The National Opinion Research Center conducted an analysis and found that only a statewide recount would be sufficient for Gore to win. The Gore team's focused recount in four counties would be insufficient to make up the difference.

1688568626830-png.842244

In this context, I understand that an “undervote” means no vote counted for president. And, it does seem proper to count a “dimple” as a vote because it’s a definite mark of the voter.

And,

Ouch ! ! !

If Gore wins, that kind of throws a monkey wrench in my evolving timeline. And, it’s not good for democracy to have an abrupt switcheroo late in the game.

PS Might you be able to provide a link to this table?

Last edited:
In this context, I understand that an “undervote” means no vote counted for president. And, it does seem proper to count a “dimple” as a vote because it’s a definite mark of the voter.

And,

Ouch ! ! !

If Gore wins, that kind of throws a monkey wrench in my evolving timeline. And, it’s not good for democracy to have an abrupt switcheroo late in the game.

PS Might you be able to provide a link to this table?
Found it on Wikipedia which pulled it from a paywalled source.