In Britannia Salutem

489 AD
Venta

Cerdicus stalked around the Council Chamber in Venta.

“This is ridiculous. Every town and settlement that we approach does not resist. I can understand those without walls or gates but even walled towns are throwing open their gates and the garrisons surrendering without a fight. Amhar was a popular Lord why do they not fight for him?”

He waved his hand

“That was rhetorical. Have you found them?”

“No, Augustus, there is no sign of them” replied Geladius, the son of the man who had led him to safety many years before.

Cerdicus stopped pacing the room and sat on the chair at the head of the Council table

“Bring the others to me. Unharmed”

Geladius snapped out orders. A few minutes later four men were brought in and stood before Cerdicus.

“Augustus” acknowledged Bors, Commander of the Watch

“So you accept me as your Emperor”

Bors shook his head

“Na, but you are the senior emperor in the west”

“Just what is going on?” demanded Cerdicus

“I don’t know what you mean Augustus”

“Don’t play the fool with me”

“We just followed our Lord Amhar’s instructions Augustus” replied Christoforus

“He ordered you not to fight?”

“Sa, Augustus”

“Why?”

“So as not to endanger the general population”

“And to try to prevent looting and burning” added Constans who was currently Bishop of Venta.

Cerdicus smiled tightly

“I see. Indeed the only skirmishes have been when some of my troops did loot”

He spun to Geladius

“Order the troops to respect property and people as long as there is no resistance”

Geladius nodded and left to give those orders.

“Now, where have most of the troops gone? Those garrisons that have surrendered to us are, shall we say, a little on the small side for the duties that they must have performed. In many places the Watch outnumbers the soldiers.

Amhar was not stupid. He knew that I would come, albeit, he probably thought after our father’s death. He would have been making preparations and that would have included troops being trained.

Now, before you try my patience, where are they all?”

489 AD
Occupied Venta

Cerdicus looked at the fourth man in front of him

“You have nothing to say, you pagan heretic?”

There was a dry chuckle

“That does not make logical sense. How can I be both a pagan and a heretic to your faith? The Cult does not dispute any of the doctrines espoused by Christians as decided in the last Ecumenical Council, therefore I cannot be a heretic by the church’s own definition of the word.

Pagan, I am, again by that Council’s decision but then so is your father, he still follows Mithras as do many at large in the Empire”

Cerdicus turned to Constans

“How do you as a Bishop in the one true faith?”

“Do I wish that the Lord would smite him and all the unbelievers, of course I do, Augustus.”

Constans smiled wryly

“And the more fervent followers of his belief wish that their Goddess would do the same to us. However, in my Father’s House there are many mansions and in these troubled times one must judge one’s fellow man by their actions and deeds as much as by their beliefs. Much as it pains me to admit it, there are those who profess to be Christian whose actions have led to much pain and suffering, especially to fellow Christians, and there will be many such in the future”

Cerdicus looked hard at Constans

“Such statements made before any of the patriarchs would lead to a very short life”

Constans inclined his head

“Indeed, and there are many in my flock who would willingly take up arms against the unbelievers. However the vast majority of those would be doing so in the hope of gaining power and wealth not because of any true belief in the words of our saviour.

Our faith will win out, because it is the truth. However it will not be done by force of arms but by persuasion and living by the tenets of our faith”

“You really would not last long professing those beliefs” stated Cerdicus

He cast a wry eye at the fourth man

“I assume that your followers believe the same”

“They are not my followers but of the Mother. However like the Christians there are those who would take up arms against unbelievers and those who would let people come to our belief through persuasion and example”

Cerdicus fixed them all with a gimlet eye

“In other times I would like nothing more than to debate this with you. However I have far more pressing matters. Now again, where are Amhar’s troops?”

“We cannot tell you what we do not know, Augustus”

The Master waved his hands at the other three

“All of us took pains not to know where they have gone. Although, if you were as an apt a student of Majorian and Guitolinus as I believe you to be then you already know the answer to your question”

Cerdicus nodded

“They have slipped north to join with Amhar”

He paused

“I would wish to know where but I do not think that you would tell me even under questioning, as I believe you when you say that you do not know”

Cerdicus snorted

“You and Artos have trained him well, too well for my liking”

Cerdicus turned to Geladius

“Have these men imprisoned. They are not to be harmed. I will deal with them on my return”

Geladius signalled and men came to take the four away.

“What will you do Augustus?” asked Geladius

“Nothing”

Geladius looked puzzled

“If I follow them north then the battle, for there will be one, will be on ground of their choosing.

Na, we will sit here and let them come to me”

Na, we will sit here and let them come to me”
and that's why he will lose.
That's not how you chose the battleground, you chose the battleground by forcing the enemy army into a position where they have to attack you or defend against you on ground of your choosing, to do this you need to have the initiative, and waiting isn't the initiative.

What I would do in Cerdicuses position would be to take ground that at first glance is disadvantageous to the defender and turn it so heavily into the defenders favour with as few changes as possible, making it seem nothing has changed whilst making it incredibly defendable. You'd still need to disinform the enemy, make them want to attack you there.

but yeah, very good chapter Lindseyman if you've got me responding to what Cerdicus is doing like that.

and that's why he will lose.
That's not how you chose the battleground, you chose the battleground by forcing the enemy army into a position where they have to attack you or defend against you on ground of your choosing, to do this you need to have the initiative, and waiting isn't the initiative.

What I would do in Cerdicuses position would be to take ground that at first glance is disadvantageous to the defender and turn it so heavily into the defenders favour with as few changes as possible, making it seem nothing has changed whilst making it incredibly defendable. You'd still need to disinform the enemy, make them want to attack you there.

but yeah, very good chapter Lindseyman if you've got me responding to what Cerdicus is doing like that.
And yet that is pretty much what William the Bastard chose to do when defeated Harold Godwinson in 1066 OTL. He set up shop and raided the surrounding area which goaded Harold to speed march south without pausing to rebuild his forces after defeating Harald Hadrada.

490 AD
Occupied Venta

The Winter Solstice and the Nativity had come and gone and still there was no sign of Amhar and his army, or any army of any Britannian Lord.

“What are they waiting for?” demanded Geladius.

“Surely our occupying this area is an affront to them, so why are they not doing anything about it. There are no signs of any troop movements in any direction nor of any ships, although the recent storms will have prevented that”

There were murmurs of agreement from most of those present in this meeting that Cerdicus had called. Cerdicus sat on the chair previously occupied by Amhar and shook his head

“What is it Augustus?” asked Geladius.

“Think! None of you are stupid or I would not have appointed you to the positions that you hold.”

Cerdicus paused

“I cannot really blame you for not seeing it. I only realised earlier today. The Britannians are employing a strategy and a well thought out one at that although not without risk”

There were puzzled looks, then an old grizzled man at the back of the room began to chuckle.

“What is so funny Crispus?” snarled Geladius

“You have got too used to fighting barbarians who attack before they are ready and/or without proper planning. You are underestimating these people. Polonius told me that you underestimate them at your peril and it would seem that he is correct”

“Oh, you greybeards see assassins in every shadow!” retorted Patravis the Legate of the XXth Legion.

Crispus sighed

“And rightly so. How many supplies and men have reached us from Gallia recently?”

“But it is winter we are not expecting any until after the Spring Equinox and the winds have died down”

“And the ships will be able to sail from our ports without any trouble will they?

Ah, I see that a few of you have seen the problem”

Indeed few of those present were looking rather thoughtful.

“But we can live off the land and the supplies left in the towns and cities” stated Patravis

Crispus nodded

“We can, but we will not be able to replace any men lost”

“We haven’t lost any men. We have been welcomed with open arms” replied Patravis

“Not yet, when the Geats, Angles and Saxons sail into the Mare Brittanicum and start sinking any of our ships that they come across and raiding our ports”

“We will outfight those barbarians” snorted Agrippa Cerdicus’ Admiral.

“With what exactly?”

Agrippa looked at Crispus as if he was stupid

“With the ships that we came across on”

Crispus said nothing but just shook his head sadly.

“I want double guards on our ships from now on” ordered Cerdicus

“Also, although it might lead to some unrest, start finding all stores of grain and other food stuffs and bring them under our control”

A worried messenger burst into the room. He passed a message to Agrippa who turned white.

“Augustus” he finally managed to say

“All our ships in Portus Lemanis have been burnt to their keels!”

“All our ships in Portus Lemanis have been burnt to their keels!”
AHAHAHAHA!!
Oh you brilliant sods!
Burning their logistical transit, trapping them on the island with them at the very point they realise the mistake they made!
Brilliant.
They're going to start suffering very soon.

Very well written Lindseyman! Very well written indeed!

490 AD
Occupied Venta

There was a knock at the door. Lucius stood up carefully and nodded to Livia who left the room. Lucius carefully opened the door, the knock had been correct but it paid to be careful. Luc, his nephew stood there.

“Inside, quickly” ordered Lucius.

Luc did as he was told

“Were you followed?”

“Na, but I doubled back on myself several times to make sure”

Lucius smiled thinly

“They’ve suddenly become a lot smarter about what is happening, unfortunately. However, it was to be expected. Cerdicus suffers fools and idiots even less than his father”

Luc nodded

“They’ve finally confined the Watch to barracks and have their own troops on patrol and on the gates. They are still as respectful to property but less so to those that they find out between dusk and dawn”

Lucius sighed

“So no more smuggling weapons into Venta”

“Na, but they do not check that the people returning are the same as those who left”

“Even so, we will not risk it. There should now be enough trained men to be able to deal with the situation when they are needed”

“Which will be when?” asked Luc

Lucius shrugged

“We won’t know until it happens. Now get back to your parents and family. When the time comes do not take part”

“I will not stand by and let others..”

Lucius grabbed his nephew’s arm

“That does you credit but you will have to be ready to protect them when the time comes especially if things go wrong”

He snorted

“And things always go wrong, No plan survives the first few minutes of any battle and that includes anything the Watch did”

“I bow to your experience in such matters”

“You are not so old that I can’t give you a clip around the ear!”

Luc smiled

“I thought that that was Livia’s province? Alright, I’m on my way, Gwyn doesn’t like me out too close to dusk”

“Shows at least she has some good sense” noted Livia who had returned to the room carrying some food

“Now give this to her and your mother”

Luc took the food gratefully

“Thank you, I’ll neglect to tell them whom it came from”

Livia shook her head

“They’ll know”

“Sa, but if I don’t tell them directly”

“Men” snorted Livia

Luc waved and left.

Lucius closed the door behind him after carefully looking up and down the road.

“I should have told him to not come again. Cerdicus’ men seem to have wised up”

Livia shook her head

“He would still make the attempt. Anyway as you said Cerdicus doesn’t suffer incompetence for long. His men will be good, they just had to start treating us as if we were Roman rather than tribesmen”

“I’d rather that they didn’t. It would make life easier. Still, all we can do is wait until Cerdicus realises that he has no choice but to bring the Lords to battle so that he can impose a settlement to his liking rather than theirs”

Livia looked steadily at him

“That may be sooner than you think. At least if what the girls are beginning to hear is true”

490 AD
Occupied Venta

Gnaeus Punctilius looked at his second Quintus Pompeius and shook his head

“A third of the Britannian Lords have sworn allegiance to Augustus?”

Pompeius nodded

“However, the most important is Constantine of the Dumnoni. The others are minor Cambrian Lords”

Punctilius snorted

“They think that they will have more freedom under the Augustus as he will be based in Nova Roma. The best that they can hope for is the limited autonomy that the Amorican Lords have managed to retain. Constantine probably will, as he is related to the Amorican Lords, but the others?”

He shook his head again

“Mind you it would seem that those emissaries that the Augustus sent under the guise of traders have had some effect. However, not as much as would be hoped.”

He pulled himself back to the present

“Venta is remarkably quiet”

Pompeius nodded

“Too quiet. All we have to deal with are the minor misdemeanours that plague most cities”

“Sa, I have to accept that the Venta Watch were very good at their jobs. Have any of them?”

“Na”

“I respect them for that but they will have to reconsider when the Augustus is victorious”

Pompeius raised an eyebrow

“Artos is undefeated in battle”

“Sa, but so is the Augustus and he is in the prime of life unlike Artos. You tread close to treason there, old friend”

Pompeius chuckled wryly

“Sa, but we have served under both. We stayed in Gallia because of our wives all those years ago. I would willingly die for the Augustus, but I would also have done so for Artos”

Punctilius nodded

“As would I. I accept, that barring unforeseen circumstances, it will be a close run thing but the Augustus will triumph”

Pompeius looked out of the window and shivered.

“I had forgotten how cold it can be in Britannia at this time of year! Not so much snow but harder frosts”

“We have lived too long in Gallia. Now, back to the paper work!”

The two spent an hour or so discussing the reports from the patrols through Venta. Punctilius looked up puzzled

“It’s too quiet. I can’t hear the troops outside”

Pompeius nodded. They looked at each other and drew their swords. The door to the office that they were using swung open and an unarmed man walked in. Pompeius looked closely at him

“Lucius?”

“Sa, it has been many years old comrade. Now be sensible and lay down your swords”

“Never, we will lay down our lives for the Augustus!”

Lucius sighed

“Still as bone headed as ever Gnaeus.”

Punctilius smiled tightly

“Perhaps, Lucius, but the Augustus has our oaths as Artos has yours”

“Na, Amhar, but I take your point. Please lay down your swords. We have no wish to kill you. You have been exemplary leaders of the occupying troops, but that is what you are, despite your history, occupying troops and we don’t want you here”

Lucius signalled and two bowmen appeared. Pompeius and Punctilius looked at each other and slowly laid down their swords.

Lucius smiled

“And your daggers”

The two put their daggers on the table

“Now move away from the table”

They did so

“Good”

Lucius gave another signal and some armed men entered the room

“Take them to headquarters. They are to be treated with honour”