In Britannia Salutem

488 AD
Viraconium

Medraut looked around those Lords that had managed to make it to Viraconium that year. There were many absences but then many Lordships were suffering both from a rather poor harvest and that illness that was rife.

There were enough administrators that the humdrum business of the meeting could still actually take place including the movement of food so that famine would not become a major issue but that would be it.

“Well, the first major crisis for years and the system looks shaky at the very least” he commented to Amhar.

Amhar nodded

“That worries me more than a little. Many of the new Lords do not see the point of the Council, at least as far as they are concerned.”

He smiled wryly

“Oh, they see the need of the administrators meeting to ensure the free flow of goods and money but not their attending. After all, they could be out doing something useful such as hunting!”

He snorted

“And who would be the first to scream for help”

Amhar paused

“I actually have no issue with some of the absences. Some of the Lordships are in trouble given the harvest, or lack of it. However, if young Emrys can make the effort to attend”

Medraut raised an eyebrow

“Young Emrys? He’s only a few years younger than yourself and much the same age that you were when Artos relinquished the Lordship to you. Speaking of whom, how is he?”

Amhar shifted

“I take your point about Emrys, but if he can make it here then so should Vortiporus.”

Amhar paused

“Father has overcome the illness but it has taken a lot out of him. I’m not certain that his health will ever fully recover. He even needs a stick to help him walk at the moment.

Not that that has stopped him giving advice. His mind’s still as active as ever”

Amhar sighed

“And that is the problem. He keeps trying to do things that, at the moment, he is not physically capable of doing. He wanted to come here. It took me, Julia, Christoforus and both the Bishop and Master to stop him.

“If I’m not there, then rumours will fly about my condition and Mithras alone knows what the results will be” was his argument.

Indeed if there were more Lords here perhaps that would happen”

“He still follows Mithras?” asked Coel of Reghed

Amhar nodded

“As do many of the warriors of his generation. Very few younger people though, they are either Christian or have joined the Cult”

Amhar paused

“That might be a cause of friction in future years. The current Master gets on relatively well with the Bishops but some of the younger clergy are getting worried about the spread of the Cult”

He chuckled wryly

“We might have to stop calling it a Cult if their numbers keep increasing”

“Especially since I am a member” pointed out Medraut

“Really?”

“Well at least a follower of the current Master. At least he has a firm grasp of current realities. Like your worries about the younger Christian clergy, I am not so sure about the younger members of the Hierarchy. They are a bit too convinced of the rightness of their views and denigrate others.

People tend to become more fundamentalist in times of strife. We, really, cannot afford to have wars of religion break us apart. After all Cerdicus is watching. Any sign of weakness and he will pounce. He still hankers after adding Britannia to his Empire.”

Amhar gave him a long look

“I’m glad that I’m not the only Lord that thinks that”

Medraut inclined his head

“Much as I hate to give him any credit, as he is far too full of himself, Vortiporus also thinks the same”

Amhar looked slightly surprised

“That does come as a bit of a shock.”

He paused

“Still, he is not unintelligent so perhaps it shouldn’t”

“Why would Cerdicus want Britannia?” asked Coel

Amhar and Medraut shared a glance

“Sa, I would like to know why as well” added Emrys who had joined them.

“He would seem to have enough to do to keep his current lands in order. After all Gaul has also suffered a poor harvest”

Amhar shook his head

“Has our education of the young been so lacking?”

“So it would seem” replied Medraut

“Only we greybeards remember!”

Amhar chuckled

“You might qualify as a greybeard nowadays, I don’t”

He stroked his chin which in old Roman fashion he shaved in winter.

Amhar turned to Coel and Emrys

“Time for what you two might call ancient history methinks!”

489 AD
Luguvallium

It had turned into the coldest and bitterest winter in living memory. There wasn’t much snow, but even the Iduna had frozen over. Coel and the other members of his household had even forsaken their usual annual Nativity visit to Galava and had stayed in the fortress of Luguvallium (the old leginary fortress was still Liguvallium even if the town had long since been Caer Lugal) as it was much easier to keep warm.

Regular patrols had to be sent out as the wolves and bears had moved from the upper hills into the valleys to try and get food and keep warm. Many flocks were attacked and there were fears for the upcoming lambing season.

The one good thing that had happened was that the cold seemed to have brought Morgause out of her state of near catatonia. She was still weak but recognised and interacted with Morgana and her grandchildren.

One night she sent for Coel

“What do you want Ma? I have a lot to do to get supplies to the farthest areas of the Lordship”

Morgause nodded

“Sa, however, this is important.”

She paused

“I assume that Morgana has told you of her vision”

“Sa”

Morgause smiled

“The tone of your answer says a lot! You are like your father, you don’t put much trust in visions do you?”

Coel shook his head

“Na, even if what you think you saw is accurate the interpretation is subjective and depends on your beliefs and prejudices.”

Coel stopped

“Even so, both you and Mother foresaw my and Morgana’s relationship on our first meeting. So I am at least willing to listen to what you have to say. Morgana is terrified by what she thinks that she saw, and, to be fair, it does give me cause for concern that apparently everything hangs on Medraut’s reaction to something. I know it does him. He knows that he can lose his temper quickly on occasion and he fears that his anger will cause the worse of the two outcomes that Morgana saw”

Morgause nodded

“Sa, he has inherited Lot’s temper but generally keeps it better under control. I have seen more than Morgana. The nexus will be the autumn meeting of the Council. Cerdicus will try to take advantage of the situation. If only Artos had not succumbed to that disease the future would be much safer”

She shook her head

“Still we cannot change what has happened. Be on the lookout for traders from Gaul who will make promises that Cerdicus does not intend that they should keep. Well, not all of them.

With Artos infirm and the Council shaking because of all the changes in the Lordships Cerdicus sees his chance to seize what he sees as his other birth right”

Coel look puzzled

“What other birth right? He is known not to be the son of Vortigern and he has accepted Amhar as Lord of Venta and that is the only part of Britannia on which he has even a slight claim”

“Really are you so short sighted?” snapped Morgause

“Might brings a legality all of its own. He does not want the Lordship of Venta. He wants all Britannia. If the Council falls into bickering and the Mistress knows that the last year has given enough reasons for that to happen then he can present himself as the one who will bring back stability”

Morgause broke into a coughing fit but waved her servant away irritably

“I’ll be fine.”

She looked at Coel

“Cerdicus would not be a bad ruler. He has been trained too well and takes after his two fathers. However, Britannia will not be his sole focus. It cannot be, danger is coming from the East. Not soon, but it is coming”

“Those that were lost” stated Coel

Morgause nodded

“Sa, Morgana saw them. They have been through much but a leader is coming to them who will lead them to this island. They will come no matter what Medraut does but the outcome of their arrival depends on my son’s actions”

“What is his correct path?”

“I know not but you must support him no matter what he chooses. That way Reghed at least will survive whatever else happens and my, and your, descendants will thrive and prosper. However if Medraut chooses the right path then all will do so albeit after sometime”

Morgause threw a goblet that she was holding into the fire

“But I don’t know the correct reaction. Acceptance or anger and that pains me”

Morgause sank back into her chair

“We shall just have to wait and see what happens. Remember support Medraut whatever he chooses. Now go and see to the safety of your people”

489 AD
Eboracum

It was no longer as bitterly cold but the slight rise in temperature had brought with it a new problem. It started to snow and kept snowing. Many of the passes over the Appenines became impassable (although that didn’t stop some foolhardy people from making the attempt, most turned back but of those who didn’t nothing was heard of them ever again).

Even the lowlands were blanketed in a thick covering of snow. It was an unending task to keep even the major routes relatively passable. Flavian, the Dux of Eboracum, strode around his office.

“Oh, sit down Flavian” snapped Helena, his mother

“You are making me tired just watching you”

Flavian bridled a bit but gave a rueful smile and sat down

“My pacing is not going to change the weather but it does keep me warmer!”

He looked at the other three people in the room.

“No news from Deira?”

Marcellus Aquila who was now acting civilian administrator of Caer Ebrauc as Junius who had finally succeeded Marcellus’ uncle, was confined to bed with both the illness that had been rampant and gout, shook his head as did Marcus Aquila his cousin who had succeeded Flavius Ambrosius Lupidus as Military Commander when he had become Dux Bellorum of the Council.

“Nothing since the last message. We have had messages from Lindsey, but then the Abus has thawed enough that ships can sail up it to the city”

Flavius nodded

“True, but Petuaria is on the bank of the Abus. If ships can make it from Lindsey, then they should also be able to make it from there!”

“Petacaster” corrected Marcellus

Flavian waved a hand irritably

“Petuaria, Petacaster, it’s the same place, although I would be careful to call it Petacaster if its Lord was here”

He paused

“Who is Lord of Deira now?”

“Last we heard it was Ethelric as both his father and grandfather had succumbed to that illness” replied Marcus.

Flavian sighed

“A rather headstrong youth, if I recall correctly”

“You should talk!” commented Helena

“Headstrong or youth, Mother?” asked Flavian

“Both” snapped Helena.

She sighed

“I wish that your adoptive father or Marcus’ father were here. There is little that they have not seen over the years”

“Mother! Father is in Venta and Flavius Aquila..”

“Is here, Dux” came a voice from the doorway.

“Father!” snapped Marcus

“You should not be out and about in this weather. Marcellus is more than capable of dealing with this situation”

“Thank You, Cousin” stated Marcelllus

“However, I would have sought his advice. This saves me a journey, although I agree with you. You should NOT be out and about. However, since you are and are here. Have you ever experienced a winter like this?”

Flavius made his way to one of the braziers and warmed his hands.

“Na, nothing as bad as this. However, such winters are not unknown just exceedingly rare. Thank The Lord”

He paused

“The last one of which we have records was just before Honorius withdrew the legions”

“Three generations ago!” exclaimed Flavian

“A lot has changed since then”

“Indeed, My Dux. However, one course of action should be obvious”

Flavian nodded

“We need to send a ship to Petuar, Petacaster and find out what has happened”

c 2000AD
Sean Kom

Ask any modern child to draw a picture of Sean Kom and you will undoubtedly get a plump, jolly, white haired man, dressed in a fur trimmed red suit, probably on a sleigh together with the Jurlkat (see post 617). This just shows the power of merchandising and how thoroughly Sean Kom has been subsumed by the modern more family orientated version of Sinterklaas. To be fair this process has been ongoing since the 19th Century, but even our grandparents had two versions of Sean Kom, this Sinterklaas version and a more authentic, albeit still bowdlerised, version.

This version was also a jolly white haired man, however he was dressed predominantly in green, wore a holly wreath around his head instead of a fur trimmed hood and always had a golden goblet filled with some alcoholic beverage. Originally this was Mead, but over the centuries had become red wine. He did carry a sack, but it was not filled with presents for the children, instead it carried all the ingredients for a mid-winter feast.

This version became most popular in the late 18th and early 19th Centuries. There is another earlier version which was in popular culture since the 15th Century. This one could also wear brown, usually in the form of a great cloak formed of bearskin (but could also be a coat) and trimmed with wolfskin. He also carried a great log which could instantaneously burst into flames if placed in the hearth of a god fearing family.

There are still stories in Prydannian (and Prythlander) folklore which bear echoes of an even earlier version. This was not a jolly man filled with Yuletide spirit. Instead Sean Kom was a grim warrior figure who strode the land at mid-winter keeping isolated families safe from wolves, bears and brigands. He had a great spear (often wreathed in holly) which he used to dispatch all who opposed him. If any family failed to leave a suitable offering at the door then he would not defend them against the depredations of the season. This offering did not have to be much, there are stories of Sean Kom defending poor families who only put the left overs of a meal outside whilst ignoring wealthier families who could have left more, the moral being leave the most that you can afford not just pay lip service to the tradition.

489 AD
The Abus

Lucius Calorix, who was, for lack of a better term, Admiral of Caer Ebrauc’s small fleet of ships stood in the bow of his ship next to a rather green looking Marcus Aquila. Lucius shook his head in bewilderment

“You bob up and down on a horse more than the Abus is moving at the moment, yet you are sea sick”

“Give me a horse any time rather than a boat”

“Good luck on getting here on horseback at the moment” quipped Calorix

“Sa” groaned Aquila

“There is still far too much snow and worse given the change in weather it is turning to muddy slush. Not good for horses!”

Aquila groaned and turned more green but managed to avoid being sick. He looked at Petacaster.

“How long?”

“We’re just waiting for the tide to change, about another hour or so”

Aquila glared at the buildings that he could see that were so close yet so far.

“I can’t see any movement”

Calorix shook his head

“Na, and that is worrying. No matter how bad the snow there should be movement about the wharves and jetties”

Aquila nodded

“You would think so.”

He paused

“How come ships haven’t come across from the harbour at Scharburgh in Lindsey? I can see the coast of Lindsey from here if I look the other way”

Calorix snorted

“Typical landlubber! It is far easier to follow the tides up the Abus than cut across it and at this time of year the ford isn’t passable”

“But still” started Aquila

“In summer perhaps” admitted Calorix

“but not now”

A gust of wind caught the boat

“The tide’s about to change” shouted one of the sailors

Calorix nodded

“And the wind is in the right direction. Right, start rowing boys”

The ship began to move slowly towards Petacaster.

489 AD
The Abus near Petacaster

Calorix turned to the helmsman

“Steer for the outermost jetty”

“Sa” replied the helmsman.

The boat edged closer to the jetty and Petacaster

“Any signs?” shouted Aquila to the lookout

“Na, nothing is moving” the lookout replied

“This isn’t right” muttered Calorix

“Agreed” stated Aquila

“If it was some sort of plague then there would still be survivors and they would be shouting warnings to us to stay clear”

He looked at the closest buildings and frowned

“What is it?” asked Calorix

“Those buildings. They look fire damaged but haven’t collapsed. Also there are no signs of crows nor wolves. You would expect to see those if there were dead bodies strewn around”

As if to give the lie to Aquila’s observation a crow cawed and flapped away from a building close to the jetty.

“One crow! There are flocks in Caer Ebrauc, there should be here”

“Sa” agreed Calorix

“Up oars lads”

The rowers raised their oars and the boat came to rest gently against the jetty. Casting wary glances around crewman leapt upon the jetty and made the boat fast. Aquila looked at Calorix

“I’ll lead a small squad of men into Petacaster. Stand ready to cast off very quickly”

Calorix nodded

“No argument from me, there is something very wrong here.”

He nodded at the doors of a nearby building

“Those have been broken down from the outside. However, if there had been a fight here you would expect to see bodies and there are none”

Aquila nodded

“This reminds me of those stories that that old Angle used to tell about what they found in their old homeland all those years ago”

“You suspect the Suetids have returned?”

“I don’t honestly know” replied Aquila.

He clambered up onto the jetty and drew his sword. Five men scrambled after him and likewise drew their swords.

“As I said, be ready to cast off quickly.

Right men, follow me”

He cautiously led the men towards the nearest building.

489 AD
Petacaster

After an hour, Calorix began to be concerned. He had seen Aquila and his men enter the nearest building and had heard then shouting for the next half hour or so but then nothing. He was starting to think of organising a search party when he saw Aquila and his men win the distance walking rather briskly towards the jetty.

As they drew closer he saw the expressions on their faces. They were filled with horror and dread. He leapt onto the jetty and made his way towards them

“What is it?” he asked

“Just cast off” replied Aquila

Calorix waved his arm to the west. There was a huge bank of cloud rapidly approaching.

“That’s a storm, and a big one, we don’t want to be caught on the Abus on that. Further east perhaps we could ride it out but not around here”

Aquila shuddered

“You’re in charge of the boat, but I want us to leave as soon as possible”

Calorix nodded

“Batten down everything” he shouted

“That’s going to be a big one”

He looked at the direction in which the storm was heading and breathed a sigh of relief

“The other jetties will protect us to some degree. Now get on board”

Aquila and his men rapidly did so and the crew made sure that everything was tied down and/or stowed away. By the time that they had finished the first icy blasts of the storm had reached them.

The Abus became very choppy and the boat was bumping continuously against the jetty. Sleet was virtually horizontal. Some of the crew started

“There are voices on the wind” muttered one or two.

“Rubbish” snorted Calorix

“That’s just the wind blowing through the abandoned buildings”

However as the storm reached his height even Calorix was looking askance at Petacaster.

“My head tells me that it is just the wind, but my heart tells me otherwise” he muttered to Aquila.

Aquila nodded

“Sa”

He shuddered

“I’m not going back there in a hurry unless it is at the height of summer!”

“Again, I ask what is it?”

“There’s nobody” replied Aquila

“There’s food on the tables, looms with unfinished cloth but no signs of any people. There are signs of some struggles, overturned tables and chairs, even blood splatters, but no bodies.”

Aquila gulped

“The most signs of struggle are to be found around Ethelric’s Hall. The doors have been broken and fired and there are slight signs of people being dragged out but no signs of the people nor corpses”

Aquila looked hard at Calorix

“Who could do such a thing? Seize a town the size of this yet leave no evidence. There is absolutely no sign of looting. Even the Romans at their height could not do such a thing”

Calorix shrugged

“I have no idea”

Calorix looked at the skies

“The storm is abating. It should be safe enough to sail when the tide changes. I don’t think that anybody wants to stay here any longer”

Aquila nodded

“Na”

Calorix turned to his crew

“Make ready to leave”

The crew hurried making their preparations and as soon as the wind had dropped enough they started to row away from Petacaster.

c 2000AD
The Disappearances

Every culture on Earth has legends about strangely abandoned settlements. Although they have become distinct over the centuries, they all have certain elements in common. There is a well-established settlement that for some reason has been cut off from others by freak weather or a natural disaster. Then after conditions have improved there are attempts to re-establish contact after the settlement itself has not done so.

Those who make the attempt find a deserted settlement with few if any signs of struggle but with food left on the table, abandoned tools and implements, even children’s toys and no sign of looting. Most strangely there are no bodies.

It was not until the late Twentieth Century that researchers began to realise that these stories and legends all began to circulate at roughly the same time. Although difficult to be certain, especially given the problems in reconciling the calendars in use at the time, it was shown beyond reasonable doubt that the legends about Pedcaster in Prythland, Mons Titanus in Italia, Pelusium in Aegyptos and Wattayah in Yaarubahall started in the late Fifth Century/early Sixth Century by the Christian Calendar.

The similar stories from Bharat, Zhongguo, Mehika and Tawantinsuya seem to come from that time but it is not as certain. There are also hints in the Norse Sagas and in the oral histories of the Haudenosaunee and Maori about similar events.

There have always been stories about lost cities and civilisations, for example Atlantis, Lemuria and Mu, but what marks these particular ones out is that they all seem to start at roughly the same time and at a time when there was record keeping. Certainly the ones that occurred in Zhongguo and in the remains of the Rhumadi Empire are noted in the histories of the time.

What has further intrigued those interested in such things is the similarity of these events with the disappearance of the first Prydannian settlement in the Hesperides, Caer Went.

However the causes are lost and will never be discovered despite forming the basis of various speculative fictions over the centuries.

489 AD
Venta

The summer meeting of the council was held in Venta. Many more attended than had the previous spring meeting.

“Where is Artos?” whispered Coel to Medraut

Medraut shook his head

“I do not know. All I do know is that Amhar requested that the meeting be held here rather than in Isca”

Coel nodded

“Sa, it at least has the advantage of being more accessible but I do not like the precedent. The Council should either continue moving around the Lordships or all meetings be held in Viraconium”

Medraut sighed

“I do not disagree with you”

He looked around

“I fear for the Council. Not all present see any need for it to continue. We have been at peace for so long now”

Coel snorted

“Short memories and surely no-one can ignore the signs coming from both Hibernia and Gallia.”

“Ah, but maintaining defences costs money which could be put to much better uses”

Coel did not reply but shook his head wearily.

Christoforus entered the chamber.

“All rise for the Leader of the Council”

There were gasps as Artos entered the chamber. He had lost a lot of weight and looked old and worn out. He smiled wryly as he gingerly sat down in his chair.

“Spare your whispers My Lords. I may still be weak in body but my mind and hearing are as good as they ever were! Now onto business”

The Council meeting went better than could have been expected. Any remaining business from the two previous Council meetings was dealt with and there was much discussion about the situation in Hibernia.

“The battles for supremacy seem to have died down” commented Vortiporus

“However there are a large number of warriors who are now looking for something to do and not all have maintained their coastal defences as much as they should”

“Pah” scoffed Cunedda of Ceredigion

“Let them come. Our warriors will make short work of those few that manage to get past the fleets based in Monoida and Caer Segont”

“Only if they are well trained, My Lord” commented Flavius, the Dux Bellorum.

“I have increasing worries about the standard of that training in some Lordships”

“Any perceived lack of training will be more than made up by their bravery. You old men are too hung up on training. As long as our warriors know how to wield their weapons then they will prevail”

“And how, Cunedda, will they know how to wield their weapons without training” pointed out Vortiporus mildly.

“Because their fathers will teach them!” snarled Cunedda

“Any Hibernian raiders will pay the price on the day that they attempt to raid my lands”

“Of that I have no doubt” replied Vortiporus

“My concern is whether the price will be high enough”

Cunedda snarled but did not reply.

489 AD
Main Watch House in Venta

Strabo rubbed his right knee surreptitiously. It was aching again as it always did nowadays when the weather was changing. He turned to Georgius who was sat behind the desk.

“I’m going to stretch my legs. Keep the place in order whilst I’m gone”

Georgius nodded

“Sa, Centurion”

Strabo scowled

“I don’t like that rank, never have. Too much history attached to it.”

He shook his head

“Chase Conatus up for his report”

“You mean Laochrus” smiled Georgius

Strabo frowned

“You know what I meant” snarled Strabo and he left the Watch House.

Georgius watched him with a worried look on his face.

Gordianus the Praefectus passed by and saw Georgius’ expression.

“Decurion?”

“It’s Strabo, Praefectus, he is obviously troubled by his knee. Why is he still a Watchman at his age”

Gordianus glared at him

“Oh, what he doesn’t know about Venta would take up less space than one of Conatus’ reports” admitted Georgius.

“You mean Laochrus’” replied Gordianus

Georgius shook his head

“Na, I mean one of the few that Conatus writes up himself. Laochrus’ are works pf poetry compared to those. But, seriously, Strabo should be sat in a garden enjoying his retirement. That knee is obviously giving him more and more trouble.”

“How long have you been in the Watch Decurion?”

“Two years Praefectus, as you know, because you appointed me”

Gordianus nodded

“That I did and you obviously are doing something right or you wouldn’t have been promoted. However, you are unobservant in this case”

Gordianus sighed on seeing Georgius’ puzzled expression

“Really, I wouldn’t suggest to Strabo that he should take things easily let alone retire, nor would the Legatus nor the Tribunus!”

Gordianus paused

“Nor for that matter would their predecessors Lucius and Ianus nor My Lord Amhar nor Christoforus. The only one that Strabo might, and I mean might, not would, listen to is the Lord Artos and that is only because they served together before he joined the Watch”

Georgius’ face was a picture

“Strabo served with Artos?”

Gordianus snorted

“He served under Ambrosius, the Lord Artos’ father in the Civil Wars that wracked Britannia”

“But they were fifty years ago!”

“Well, you know your history”

“That means Strabo must be in his seventies!”

Gordianus nodded

“Wears it well doesn’t he!”

“The stories he could tell”

Gordianus shook his head

“He doesn’t. He’s very close mouthed about his service in the Army”

Georgius thought for a moment

“Something happened that makes him dislike the position of Centurion”

Gordianus took Georgius’ arm

“A word of advice. Don’t ever ask him about that! Your career will be a lot longer, and don’t ask anyone else. It is his story to tell, if he ever decides to do so

Now, do what he ordered you to do. Chase Conatus and Laochrus about their missing report”

Gordianus sighed

“I have the pleasure of a meeting with the Tribunus.”

Gordianus left. Georgius sat for a moment then despatched a Watchman to find Conatus or Laochrus.

489 AD
Venta

Strabo walked to his lodgings and as he was, now officially off duty got changed. His knee was feeling a lot freer so he decided to go for another walk as he needed to think. He was beginning to feel his age and knew that his reactions were no longer as fast as they had been. This meant that he did not object to basically now being permanently assigned to the Watch House where he could still give the youngsters the benefit of the experience that he had built up over the years.

Unconsciously, Strabo began to follow some of his old patrol routes. He had been walking for roughly two hours when suddenly he felt a sharp jab in his right knee. He grimaced with the pain and the realisation that he had over-extended himself. He sat down on a rather tumbledown wall and began to rub his knee. As he rubbed his knee he realised where he had walked to, it was the least salubrious area of Venta. Gradually his knee eased and he got up to leave the area as quickly as possible.

Too late! A group of four young thugs approached him. The largest, a rather unsavoury lad, thought Strabo, approached him with false solicitude.

“Well, Arfus, got lost have we? An old man like you shouldn’t be wandering these streets. Who knows whom you might meet?"

“Let me guess” replied Strabo

“You’ll see me safe for a small fee”

The thug smiled revealing broken teeth

“Well, times are hard, and you look as if you could spare a few coins”

“Really?”

“Sa, really, and if you won’t give coins over willingly, then..”

The thug was no longer smiling and approached Strabo. Strabo sighed and lashed out. He hit the thug on his nose, breaking it. Blood gushed and the thug gasped, clutching his nose. He glared at Strabo

“Well now we’ll just take whatever you have and not see you safe”

Strabo grinned mirthlessly

“You were never going to, now come on, four of you against me. Not a fair fight”

The thug smiled through the blood

“Na, and it’s your own fault, come on lads”

Two of the thugs approached, the third looked at Strabo

“I don’t think that we should do this”

“Coward!” snarled the first

“What can one old man do against us?”

“An old man who has just broken your nose and is not pleading nor running. Na, this is too dangerous”

“Well run away to the whore you call Ma” replied the first

“Come on”

The other two began to approach Strabo with threatening faces. The last turned and ran.

Strabo sighed and struck rapidly. Very soon there were three thugs writhing on the ground clutching at various parts of their anatomy. Strabo’s knee gave out again and he sat back down on the wall rubbing it. There was the sound of a man clapping. Strabo looked up and saw a man stood a few yards away shaking his head whilst applauding. He came up and kicked the three thugs.

“Get up you scum”

Slowly the three got to their feet. The first thug glared at Strabo

“We’ll find you. You won’t be able to hide from us”

The man clipped the thug around his ear.

“Use what passes for your brain. You would have to jump him in a dark alley to stand any sort of chance and even then I wouldn’t give a folis for your succeeding. Do you know whom you have just attacked?”

The three shook their heads

“Na, I thought not, he’s a watchman.”

“So?”

The man sighed

“It’s Strabo you idiot. There are no other watchmen of his age”

Fear crossed the three thugs’ faces

“Bbbut he’s a myth used to frighten us” stammered one of them

The man sighed

“Is that so? Now run back to which ever hole you crawled from and hope that you don’t get any visitors after this”

“The watchmen won’t dare to come after us!”

“I wasn’t referring to the watchmen”

Real fear crossed the thugs’ faces and they stumbled away. The man approached Strabo and held out his hand

“Come on Old Man, let’s see you back to where you should be”

Strabo finally looked closer at the man. A look of surprise crossed his face

“Craius, I thought that you were dead”

Craius smiled

“Hoped, you mean after our last encounter”

Strabo grasped Craius’ arm and pulled himself up.

“Na, you were never a match for me”

“Na, I wasn’t but now with you having that crooked knee”

“You still wouldn’t”

Strabo looked around

“Is there a decent inn around here? I’ll buy you a drink”

Craius feigned shock

“You buy me a drink. You’re going soft! I know one near here where the clientele will let us talk rather than try to knife you. You are not that popular in these parts, Old Man”

“Less of the Old Man” growled Strabo

“I need that drink!”

489 AD
Venta

Amhar was sat in what passed as his office, brooding. There were various rumours flying about that the Council had long since served its purpose as there were now no major external threats. Ambar grinned mirthlessly, just why did those people think that there were now no major external threats to Britannia?

Oh true, the threats of either Sea Wolf or Hibernian raids had fallen to nothing. The Sea Wolves had taken Eastern Caledonia from the Picts and had inflicted enough defeats on them that the Picts were quiescent in what remained of their lands. The Hibernians had stopped fighting amongst themselves, albeit a peace of exhaustion but had concentrated on trading instead of raiding, it was more remunerative and less risky.

However the problem was sitting in his new capital of Parisii Nova Roma. Cerdicus had designs on Britannia and to be fair to him had never hidden them. He was unlikely to try anything whilst Artos was alive, he had too much respect for their mutual father but Artos was visibly failing, at least physically, no medicus gave him much more than a year. He had never really recovered from Findabair’s death and the illness had taken a further toll.

“A denarius for them”

Amhar looked up and smiled

“They’re not worth that much I’m afraid”

Julia came into the room. Although they cared deeply about each other they had never developed the great intensive love that had consumed Artos and Findabair.

“You are worried about your father”

Amhar nodded

“Cerdicus will come once he has died”

Amhar snorted

“Probably his funeral party will consist of several of his legions!”

Julia held his hands

“Beloved, Cerdicus is capable of many things but he would not dishonour his father so. The legions will arrive after the funeral”

“And you think that I should submit when they do”

Julia looked hard at him

“It would be the pragmatic thing to do, but no, I don’t. Against the odds your father and his Uncle have built something here in Britannia that is worth fighting for. The Empire that Cerdicus has built depends too much on him, it will collapse soon after his death.

The Franks and Visigoths will rise in rebellion once he has gone and there are further dangers to the East”

Amhar nodded

“The Huns were only the outriders, other tribes are moving west along the old trade routes. The mess that Persia has become will deflect some but not all. Constantinople will stand but we are the only area in the west that would stand a chance of holding and then only if we are united in purpose”

Amhar sighed

“Father and Utha have, in some ways, been too successful. Too many of my generation have known only peace and prosperity. As we, and our sons, succeed to power the lessons that have been taught will be forgotten and chaos will rule”

He snorted

“The Lordships will fall into bickering between themselves if not outright war and an organised foe will have little difficulty in taking over. There is nothing that some Britannians love more than a good grudge”

Amhar paused

“I fear that my father is the plug in the bottle that has fallen on its side. When it comes loose then all will be lost”

He looked at Julia

“Submitting to Cerdicus might be the least bad option”

Julia dropped his hands and slapped him

“Not for you and our sons! Venta is the one area of Britannia on which he has some valid claim. You and they are in his way. He cannot afford to let you live.

Now, think and think hard, there has to be a way! Talk to the Master and Christoforus”

Amhar rubbed his cheek ruefully

“I love you”

“And I you, but make sure that our sons have an inheritance!”

489 AD
Viraconium

It had been a remarkably mild and calm autumn and continued to be as the Council assembled in Viraconium. The same could not be said however about the actual meeting. It was one of the most fractious in the Council’s history and it all stemmed from Artos’ opening statement.

“My Lords, I am going to take a leaf out of Ida’s book and stand down”

He sighed

“I am old beyond my years and my body fails me even though my mind does not. All of you know the medicus’ predictions about my longevity or rather the lack of it. This position requires somebody in full health and that is no longer me”

And so the political infighting began. Some of the Lords, mainly the Cambrian Lords although with some tacit support from both the Constantines (Dumnonia and Damnonia) argued that there was no need for a Leader of the Council anymore but that a chair could be elected from those who attended every year. After all each Lord should be entrusted with ruling their own lands. Similarly there was no need for a Dux Bellorum, if one should ever be required then one could be appointed to that position.” Others of the Lords wanted to keep the status quo and argued for that whilst a third party kept their council to themselves.

Surprisingly Medraut (and hence Coel) were in the third group although all could tell that Medraut was having difficulty in keeping his temper in check. Amhar tackled him about this at one evening gathering.

“Medraut, why are you keeping your silence? You obviously have no patience with those who argue for the abolition of the Leader and Dux Bellorum yet say nothing”

Medraut swirled the wine in his goblet and said nothing. Instead it was Coel who answered

“My Lord Amhar, my brother fears the consequences of his saying anything”

Amhar looked puzzled

“Why?”

Coel looked at Medraut who nodded slightly. Coel sighed and continued

“Both my wife and her mother had a common vision of the future”

Coel stopped, he saw the expression on Amhar’s face

“I know My Lord, You have little patience with such, as you would call it, mummery. However, this vision affected both greatly. Morgana took weeks to recover, I am not sure that her mother has still.”

“What did they see?”

“That this meeting would be as is occurring. The outcome depended on my brother’s reaction whether it was acquiescence or fury. One led to the breakup of the council and Cerdicus restoring order for a while, the other led to a longer period of peace and prosperity and despite some problems a bright future for this island”

Coel sighed

“Unfortunately neither knew which of my brother’s reactions would lead to which future. They still don’t all they could say was that I should support him either way”

Amhar leaned forward

“You are correct, I do not believe in such visions, even if you two obviously do, and despite my feelings on the matter, I can see why you do”

He sighed

“If only father was as sound in body as he is in mind”

Medraut chuckled slightly

“One may as well wish for Cerdicus to give up his ambitions towards this island”

“True” sighed Amhar

He looked at Medraut

“We do not see eye to eye on everything My Lord. Your views on a High Kingship for one. My mother quite put me off the idea although it would pre-empt some of what is happening here as I doubt that any would oppose my succeeding my father”

Medraut inclined his head

“However” continued Amhar

“I would advise you to follow your heart in this matter and let the future take care of itself”

Medraut nodded

“I shall think upon what you have said. You will know the outcome tomorrow”

Amhar stood up

“I shall look forward to it. Now for some sleep”

At that moment a messenger burst in

“We were not to be disturbed” snarled Coel

“I apologise My Lords” stammered the messenger

“But many sails have been seen in the Mare Britannicum heading towards our shores”

Amhar shot a disbelieving look at Medraut

“At this time of year? Before my father has died! Is he mad?”

Last edited: