In Britannia Salutem

Prydannia circa 870AD
Words not coming at the moment:teary:
So here instead is a map of Prydannia just before the accession of Constantine the Wise in 874AD.
British Isles c 940AD.png

473 AD
Near Lindum

Gaius Petronius frowned as he led his troops along the road from Lindum. He had been surprised when his offer to give troops to those being sent to Gallia had been accepted as he knew that he was not that popular amongst the other British Lords but Artos had just smiled and accepted his offer with the comment that he knew that he wouldn’t have let Marius’ standards of training slip which meant that his infantry would be at least the equal of any others available. Gaius had bridled slightly but had then realised that Artos had actually meant it! So he personally led his contingent.

No, it was the state of the road which had him frowning. The road near Lindum was fine but as he got further away the repairs and maintenance had become more slipshod. His feelings were intensified when he reached the boundaries of Medraut’s Lordship. The quality of the road markedly improved.

His frown grew deeper. As most trade now went along the Trisantona he had had to find other ways of increasing his income. He had hit upon the idea of “consultancy fees” (or if he was being really honest, bribes) when awarding contracts for various works. He had been surprised at the size of the fee that had been offered by one contractor for the upkeep of the roads but greed had won out (it was by far the lowest bid even taking his fee into account!).

Now he knew how it had been done. The roads had been maintained with vastly inferior materials and some of the repairs had been washed out by the (not very heavy) summer rains. Now, Petronius was, as even he would admit to himself, a corrupt individual whose main aim was to line his own pockets, however there were some exceptions. One was the upkeep of his troops, he insisted on proper training and maintenance of equipment and he paid them well. Although Britannia had been at peace for some years, he had seen too much to let that slip! Another was the maintenance of the roads, they were the lifeblood of the Lordships and had to be well maintained to ensure the free flow of trade and, if necessary, troops.

Petronius signalled a halt and summoned his second, Marcellus.

“My Lord?” asked Marcellus.

“How long have our roads been in this state?”

“Since you awarded the contract to Iohanus Paulinus”

Marcellus paused

“What is it?” asked Petronius.

With a sigh, Marcellus continued

“The roads to Lindsey are in an even worse state.”

“Why was I not informed?”

Marcellus just looked at him. His silence spoke far more than any words would have done.

Petronius came to a quick decision

“Lead the troops on to the meeting place with Artos. I’ll catch up with you.”

Marcellus nodded

“What are you going to do?”

“One, visit Medraut, I believe that his mother is there. Just as well, it will ease what could otherwise turn to blows! Second deal with this mess.”

Marcellus raised his eyebrows

“Good Luck My Lord. You’ll need it!”

Petronius smiled, wheeled his horse and signalled to his bodyguard.

“Luck has nothing to do with it! Keep the training going!”

He galloped off towards Ratae.

Especially if the person awarding them is looking out for himself first and the roads second. At least he's starting to realise that it is also a discipline issue for his troops. Not one of his subordinates told him about the shit roads. For someone that actually cares about the training levels of the troops, that must sting.

473 AD
Petronius stood in the antechamber and fumed. He had been kept waiting by Medraut. It didn’t help that he realised that he would have done the same if the positions had been reversed. Medraut was of an old lineage, his ancestors had all been the most important chief amongst the Votadini and his father and grandfather had been kings, Petronius had expected better of him.

After another hour Petronius wandered over to the hallway at the far end and seriously considered leaving. This behaviour towards him was an insult. However he steeled himself and instead just looked out over the walls, which enclosed a courtyard, towards the distant hills. As the sun reached the horizon, the door at the other end of the antechamber opened and a servant came in.

“My Lord will see you now, please follow me.”

Petronius did so and was led into a chamber in which was a table. Medraut sat behind the table with an old woman, whom Petronius assumed was his mother, stood at his shoulder. Petronius inclined his head

“My Lord, My Lady”

Niniane inclined her head in response as did Medraut. Nothing was said for a few moments then Medraut spoke.

“I will not apologise for keeping you waiting for so long. However the fact that you did so means that the matter which you wish to discuss with me is of importance, at least to you. What do you wish to discuss?”

“My Lord Medraut” began Petronius

“This matter of trade has rested between us for too long.”

He paused

“However I accept that it was started by the charges which I imposed on trade passing through Lindum. If our positions had been reversed I would also have reopened the route along the Trisantona.”

Medraut raised an eyebrow but said nothing, he waved a hand to indicate that Petronius should continue.

“It did cross my mind to have you assassinated, however I would have been too obvious an instigator of such an event. The result would at least have been my lady (here Petronius inclined his head towards Niniane) seeking revenge and probably the other Lords on the Council would also have taken steps against me.”

Medraut still said nothing but Niniane inclined her head as if in agreement.

Petronius paused again and then continued

“In my wishes to maintain my income, I fear that I have made a serious mistake. Those whom I have left in charge of Lindum ,whilst I lead my troops with Artos to Gallia, are competent enough but would not have the authority to undo what I have set in place.”

Medraut stirred

“What do you mean?”

Petronius smiled wryly

“In my greed I have awarded some contracts to those to whom such contracts should not have been awarded. The worst of these is to whom I awarded the contract for the upkeep of the roads in the area of my jurisdiction. The roads in and near to Lindum have been maintained well. However those along which I do not usually travel have not been.”

Petronius sighed

“Troops and roads are the two things which should be well maintained. I have done so with my troops but not with the roads. My troops also have issues. Not one of my senior leaders were willing to tell me about the state of the roads. I can sort that matter out whilst I accompany Artos.”

“You actually do intend to go to Gallia then?” interjected Medraut.

“Sa” replied Petronius.

“I said that I would and in military matters at least, my word is to be kept. I realise that we will never agree on much, too much has happened, however I will sign over civilian authority of Lindum to you for the time I am with Artos.”

Petronius smiled

“I doubt that those I have left in charge will complain, they are administrators who would keep things running. Even if I gave them the freedom to change things they would not!”

Medraut leaned forward

“So you wish me to do your dirty work in stopping those contracts. Why should I be willing to help you?”

Petronius spread his hands wide

“I cannot give you a simple answer. However there are storms stirring to the East, it may take years for them to reach us, but reach us they will. Roads will need to be maintained in order to counter such storms, even the time I am away would be time wasted if not used to rectify the situation.”

Medraut nodded

“I, too, have heard the rumours to which you have alluded.”

He looked at his mother, who nodded.

“Very well but I will retain control of the civilian administration of Lindum even when you do return. I trust you only in military matters.”

Petronius’ face darkened but he controlled himself.

“So be it, have you a scribe available?”
...........................................................................................................................................................................................

I'm mildly surprised that no one has commented about the name Iohanus Paulinus. However perhaps his OTL equivalent has finally vanished into obscurity (except to those of us of a certain age:eek:).

...........................................................................................................................................................................................

I'm mildly surprised that no one has commented about the name Iohanus Paulinus. However perhaps his OTL equivalent has finally vanished into obscurity (except to those of us of a certain age:eek:).

John Paul?
First or Second ?

So John Paulson ..... So any other northern celebrities we
I suspect you have the correct man but his downtime name is spelled John Poulson

Indeed. You are correct of course. I seem to have confabulated Poulson and Paulinus. At least it’s better than the normal autocorrect fiasco I manage to be a victim of. :)

473 AD
Samarobriva

Artos had received a request from Cerdicus to meet him privately soon after he had landed with his troops at Bononia. He had left Bedwyr in charge and had ordered him, together with Petronius, to organise the troops and have them ready to march in a week.

“I don’t think that you should meet him alone” cautioned Bedwyr.

Artos grinned and shook his head

“Na, I’ll be safe enough. Killing me would result in him losing you and our troops and he needs them or he wouldn’t have requested them in the first place.”

“At least take your own troops”

Artos nodded

“Sa”.

So it was that Artos arrived at Samarobriva. The town itself was in ruins, having not recovered from the battles some ten years previously, but Artos was led to the ruins of the basilica. He left his troops outside and entered the roofless shell. There he found a table with wine and two stools. He wandered over to the table and looked at the wine. Falernian, this was the good stuff! He heard noises from the other side and turned around. A young man had entered. Artos stood thunderstruck. He had long suspected that Cerdicus was indeed his son rather than Vortigern’s. However this was like looking at a younger reflection of himself!

“Ave, Caesar”

The young man smiled wryly

“Are you accepting me as your Emperor?”

“Na, but I do accept you as the true Emperor in the west.”

“That will be enough for now.”

“That is as far as I, or any other Lord of Britannia, will ever go. We were abandoned by Rome sixty years ago in my grandsire’s day!”

The young man nodded

“Never say never!”

Cerdicus paused and then continued

“However the need for your troops outweighs any other considerations for now.”

Artos looked at him

“Why this meeting?”

“You know why! I had to see for myself and we need to come to an agreement before we meet with others present.”

“Go on”

“Anyone with half an eye can see that we are indeed related. Syagrius has already commented on our likeness and if he has noticed then so will most of his veterans who saw you last time you were here.”

Artos nodded

“What do you suggest? That I openly accept you as my son and heir?”

“Na, son, I think is necessary, heir would cause ructions I believe with your wife.”

Artos nodded

“True, an unexpected result of a youthful mistake would be accepted but she would fight, by any means possible, for what she believes to be Amhar’s birth right.”

“The High Kingship”

Artos’ face darkened.

“I have already settled that question!”

“For now, but only for now. It will come up again after you succeed Utha and again when he comes to manhood” replied Cerdicus.

Artos sighed

“I fear that you are right in that supposition. I’ll cross those bridges when I need to do so.”

Cerdicus went to the table and poured two goblets of wine.

“Well, that and my being accepted as your Emperor are for another day. Let us discuss why I need you and your troops.”

Artas be like

Artas: "Hail, friend!"
Random person: "Hail, Artas! SO... how about dat High Kingship!"
Artas: [Intensive swearing in 5th century Brythonnic]

So, who's Cerdicus' mother?

And that eastern menace has been teasing me for a long while! Can't wait to find out why everyone so scared.

Artas be like

Artas: "Hail, friend!"
Random person: "Hail, Artas! SO... how about dat High Kingship!"
Artas: [Intensive swearing in 5th century Brythonnic]

So, who's Cerdicus' mother?

And that eastern menace has been teasing me for a long while! Can't wait to find out why everyone so scared.

Cerdicus was officially the son of Vortigern and Rowena. However at one of the (very) rare parleys between Ambrosius and Vortigern in about 450AD Rowena took steps to ensure that she produced a child for Vortigern (who was much older than she). Artos was a means to an end. He was drunk (ensorcelled in later tales) and not that unwilling as Rowena was very attractive. However he felt shame about cuckolding Vortigern and that led to his attitude towards certain Saxons in the 450s.

As to the Eastern menace, tales are spreading about movements of tribes along what would become the Silk Road.

Thank you. Out of interest what do you like about this?

I have read a lot about the period, both fact (Salway/Wood/Bury etc) and fiction (Rosemary Sutcliffe,Kathleen Herbert, Bernard Cornwell, Mary Stewart) and also played games of the Imperium Romanum II board game. So the timeline feels familiar yet different and interesting. Well written too.

(And I'm definitely a Northener)

473AD
Lindum

Medraut stared at the administrators who were stood before him.

“So you are telling me that this contract is legally binding. There is no provision for faulty delivery?”

The chief administrator quailed but answered

“Na My Lord, not in the contract.”

There was something in the way that the chief administrator answered that made Medraut look carefully at him.

“There is a “but” implied in that answer, is there not?”

The chief administrator nodded

“Sa My Lord”

“Well, what is it?”

“Under Marius, It was accepted that all goods should be delivered to the customer’s requirements. However Gaius Petronius did not always apply that understanding.”

Medraut smiled

“Very well. Arrange for Paulinus to be brought here.”

“Now My Lord?”

“Indeed now” thundered Medraut.

The administrators scurried away. Medraut shook his head and turned to look out of the window. No wonder Petronius had handed him this poisoned chalice. He was in too deep to do anything about it even though he now wished to do so.

Paulinus had still not turned up by midday on the morrow. Interestingly neither had the chief administrator although the other two had done so.

“I feel that something has gone awry” stated Medraut.

The two administrators said nothing but just looked at each other. Medraut waited another hour then signalled for Iulius who had been Marius’ aide and had been left in charge of the military garrison by Petronius whilst he and his second accompanied Artos.

“Iulius take a squad of men that you trust to Paulinus’ estate and bring him here. In chains if necessary.”

Iulius blanched

“What is it?”

“Paulinus’ estate is actually in your lands My Lord. My writ does not run there.”

“It does if I say so, Iulius!”

Iulius departed

“Do you trust him?” asked Ban, his chief bodyguard.

“Not totally” replied Medraut.

“However, he was trained by Marius and trusted implicitly by him. So he will carry out his orders to the best of his ability.”

“Hmm” was Ban’s reply.

Prydannia c 980AD
British Isles c 980AD.png

A map of Prydannia at the end of Constantine the Wise's tenure as Leader of the Council of Prydannia (Prythland if you are one of the Danish Lords)
Relations between Brigantia and Karbrok are just a little strained! They will not ever be completely resolved but in the end will "just"be a sporting rivalry that makes Yorkshire/Lancashire pale in comparison.