In Britannia Salutem

493 AD
Venta

”Parricus needs to be visited” noted Gullielmus after Lucius had explained what had happened.

“You can’t go Master” objected Pontius

“You are no longer a watchman and you have, unfortunately, a position to maintain”

“Parricus is a follower, a not very devout one, but a follower none the less” stated Gullielmus mildly

“All the more reason why you cannot go Master”

Gullielmus looked calmly at Pontius

“Then why was there no fuss when I went to visit Lucius? He is most certainly not a member of the Cult!”

Pontius snorted

“Firstly, it is well known that you worked together for years and became friends. Secondly, as a former Legatus of the Watch, Lucius is of the correct social level”

Pontius shot a glance at me

“Even if he refuses to take advantage of his standing. Which, I may add, is actually a point in his favour!”

Lucius grunted

“That’s all very well but somebody has to go and see Parricus to find out what he knows, if anything”

Lucius got out of his chair

“I’ll go. The only member of the Watch who stands a chance of sorting this out is Conatus but as you don’t want to involve them”

Lucius stopped

“I know that they are under a cloud for not solving the disappearance of that jewel but they are not corrupt nor knowingly incompetent”

Lucius stopped again and swore

“It’s politics isn’t it. You suspect somebody who moves in the highest circles. Bors would only act if there was absolutely incontrovertible evidence if that was the case especially now”

Gullielmus and Pontius shared a glance

“I see what you meant Master”

Gullielmus nodded

“He is not as quick as either of us but he does get there”

Lucius glowered

“Thank You, I think. I’d better get going. I’m not as young as I used to be”

“I’ll go with you” offered Pontius

“I leave the questioning to you but I might observe something that you do not”

Lucius, despite himself, chuckled

“Otherwise I might see or hear something but not grasp its importance. Immediately anyway!”

Pontius inclined his head

“He is actually better at that than I was at his age” commented Gullielmus

Lucius raised his eyebrows

“Indeed?”

Lucius made his way to the doorway

“Well, come on then young man”

They made their way to the western gate where they found a flurry of activity.

“What’s going on?” wondered Lucius

He grabbed a passing watchman

“What is happening?”

“That’s Watch business” started the watchman then he realised who had asked him.

“Sorry, Lega…”

“Not now I’m not. Just the brief version. Laochrus is it not?”

Laochrus nodded

“I’m just going to fetch Conatus. He might be able to sort this out!”

Laochrus noted Lucius’ glare

“Parricus has been badly beaten and a good proportion of his geese have been gutted”

Well Artos is "dead" so his story has finished but for some reason this world won't let go. Posting will not be as regular as it used to be but I will give into temptation when the muse strikes.
Well I for one am Delighted to hear this!
And for you good sir, A Belated Merry Christmas and A Belated Happy New Years To you, I hope it was one for the Ages! You certainly deserve as such.

And the same to everyone here.

493 AD
A "farm" near Venta

Lucius and Pontius reached Parricus’ “farm”.

“This is a small holding not a farm” noted Pontius

“Sa, but this close to Venta it looks like one” replied Lucius

Pontius nodded absently and looked around the land

“Interesting”

“What is?” asked Lucius

“Parricus has adopted the new farming method from the Cantii region for his crops that he grows”

“So?”

“It shows a mind of some intelligence, willing to try new things”

“Parricus was never traditionally stupid” answered Lucius

“He was one of the most honest pawnbrokers. He always gave a fair price for the items he took in and never charged exorbitant levels of interest”

Pontius looked at Lucius

“So why did he fall foul of the Watch?”

“He had a bit of a blind spot about checking if the person presenting the item was its actual owner”

Pontius frowned

“So do most of that ilk”

“Sa, but he couldn’t bring himself to melt down certain items because of their beauty and was found with them”

“Oh dear!” remarked Pontius

“Hence him becoming a small holder. Well, we can be fairly certain that he didn’t know about the jewel”

“Why not?” asked Lucius

“Because he was beaten”

Lucius just looked at Pontius who smiled

“Which is why I said fairly not absolutely”

Lucius nodded.

They reached the field in which the geese were to be found.

“This seems to be indiscriminate” noted Lucius

“So why kill only half the geese?”

“Because it is not indiscriminate” answered Lucius

“Only those geese with bars on their wings have been killed. The goose that Aedh brought in had those whereas the goose that Gaudenius took did not”

“So he truly knows nothing about this”

Pontius shook his head

“Not for certain but it does look that way”

They reached a rather large and well-constructed hut. Parricus was sat in front of it. He had two black eyes and had bruises all over his body

“He’s been too well beaten to be a part of this” stated Pontius

Lucius nodded

Parricus groaned

“What have I done to deserve this? You!”

“Salve Parricus. Been in the wars have we?”

Parricus frowned

“You are no longer even part of the Watch, I don’t have to answer any of your questions!”

“But you do mine” came another voice

“And I doubt that his questions will be much different to mine so answer them!”

Lucius and Pontius turned around. Conatus had arrived.

493 AD
A farm near Venta

Parricus shifted uncomfortably on his seat and glared at the three of them.

“Well, you two may be thorough going bastards, however, you were fair and you are (Parricus indicated Lucius and Conatus). You (Parricus indicated Pontius), I know your reputation even if I am not as good a follower as I should be”

Lucius looked at Parricus who smiled wryly

“That one can make the old Gullielmus look like a standard watchman and yes I do know what he is now!”

“I said that he wasn’t stupid” whispered Lucius to Pontius who had looked rather startled when Parricus had made his last statement.

Pontius shrugged

“Well he hasn’t taken great pains to cover the fact”

Lucius looked back at Parricus

“So what just happened?”

“Are you blind?” snarled Parricus waving his arm at the dead geese.

Lucius just waited, Parricus shook his head

“I can tell you what happened but not why.

Just before dawn, three men who were wrapped in hooded cloaks burst through my door demanding that I hand over a blue gem. I had no idea what they were talking about and they did this to me to loosen my tongue. After a while one of them looked at the others

“He really has no idea!” he stated

“We’ll have to do this the other way”

The other two nodded their heads and well you can see the result. I can’t add any more than that but they went for those geese with bars on their wings and left the others alone.

The racket finally aroused one of my neighbours who raised the alarm. The three men fled”

“Can you say anything about the three men?” asked Lucius

Parricus shook his head

“Na, as I said they were hooded and I couldn’t see their faces and they wore gauntlets”

He paused

“However, one of the men was definitely missing a finger on his right hand. He had filled the finger of the gauntlet with something but it didn’t feel right”

Parricus paused

“Also, when they had stopped beating me, I feigned being unconscious. One of the men who had been silent up to then spoke with a Saecson accent and stated that somebody, whom he called Eomer, would not be happy. The others quickly hushed him”

Lucius looked at Conatus

“That name mean anything to you?”

Conatus shook his head

“Na, but look at your companion, it means something to him!”

Lucius turned to Pontius

“It mean something to you?”

Pontius grimaced

“Possibly, I must learn to school my face better”

“Not much gets past him” answered Lucius indicating Conatus

“So it would seem” replied Pontius

“However, not here”

Lucius shrugged and turned back to Parricus

“Anything unusual happen in the days prior to this?”

Parricus frowned

“Na, nothing”

He stopped

“Except”

“Go on” encouraged Lucius

“About a week ago there was a commotion amongst the geese. I thought that a fox, wolf, or more likely one of the feral dogs had got in the pens. However, when I got there all I found was one dead bird, no other signs”

“I assume that it had bars on the wings” noted Conatus

“And was the one that you sold to Gaudenius” observed Lucius

Parricus looked surprised but nodded

“How? But, sa, I sold it to him the next day, at a knock down price too”

“There’s our connection, but how did they trace that bird to Gaudenius? Sa, we in the watch know about that incident” asked Conatus.

He paused

“They kept the birds under observation. All they knew was that they wanted one with bars on the wings, but why?”

Conatus looked at Lucius and Pontius

“What do you know that I do not?”

493 AD
Venta

“Not here” stated Lucius indicating Parricus.

Parricus smiled wryly

“Sa, I still have my contacts, fair enough but find those bastards, they owe me for the geese!”

“I don’t think that you will starve Parricus, but they will be brought to justice” answered Conatus.

Parricus nodded

“If it was any other watchman I would have my doubts but I believe you will at least try, especially if these two are involved”

The three took their leave and went back to Venta

“Well?” asked Conatus

“My Master’s house would be safest from unwanted ears” stated Pontius

Conatus shook his head

“It may be but I cannot be seen going there unless being directly ordered to do so by the Legatus”

“It would be the same for the Bishop” added Conatus on seeing Lucius’ expression.

Lucius said nothing but shook his head

“Being more politically astute than me does seem to have disadvantages to properly running the Watch” was all that he said

“Times have changed” replied Pontius

“Although I will admit not always for the better!”

“Well any of the Watch Houses are out. Not all watchmen are as uncorrupted as they are meant to be” stated Pontius

Conatus frowned then grimaced

“Unfortunately true”

Then he brightened

However Strabo should be on duty at the main Watch House”

“Strabo!” exclaimed Lucius

“Sa” smiled Conatus

“He just won’t retire although all he does now is act as Desk Centurion and frighten the new recruits”

Lucius smiled in recollection

“He would but he would have to report our arrival to at least Gwalchmai.”

Lucius paused

“Na, one of the special rooms at Calpurnia’s”

Pontius and Conatus shared a glance

“What is it?” snapped Lucius

“Livia has retired!”

“I know that you are not that naïve Lucius” stated Conatus

“But she ..”

“Oh, she has from that side of the business but the information gathering side, I rather think not. Minutes after we rented a room Livia would know”

Conatus shook his head

“We might as well just have the meeting at your town house. It will be more secure than even one of Calpurnia’s rooms and it will save you being questioned by Livia”

“I don’t want to..”

“Of course you don’t” added Pontius

“However she will involve herself one way or the other so we might as well cut to the chase and involve her directly. Anyway she became involved as soon as you and the Master advertised the fact that you had that goose. The only reason that I can think of that you have not been raided was that they know that you actually did not have the original but the Master did”

Pontius smiled grimly

“They would have to be desperate to raid his residence.”

“They may well be now” added Conatus

Pontius inclined his head

Lucius sighed

“Very well to my office”

He smiled wryly

“We’d better let Livia be involved in the meeting. She’ll find out what we say anyway”

They made their way to Lucius’ town house.

493 AD
Lucius' town house in Venta

The three men sat in front of a roaring fire. One of them was counting under his breath. When he reached one the door to the room swung open and Livia stormed in.

“Hello dearest” stated Lucius

“Don’t you dearest me, Lucius. What do you think that you are doing?”

“Waiting for you” replied Lucius

“How dare you have a meeting..what did you say?”

Lucius smiled

“You heard me”

Livia frowned

“You said waiting for me”

Lucius nodded

“Good to know that your hearing is sound. We can start the meeting now that you are here. If you had looked before letting your tongue loose then you would have seen that there are four chairs here in front of the fire.”

Livia sat gracefully in the proffered chair

“We shall have words later, dearest” she said to Lucius who flinched slightly

“Now, tell me all”

Pontius started

“No, you forget that I was here when Gullielmus came round, I know all this!”

“Conatus doesn’t” admonished Lucius

A slight inclination of her head was all the acknowledgement that Livia gave that she accepted that Lucius was correct.

Pontius continued

“Hold on” interrupted Conatus

“You found IT in the crop of the goose that Gaudenius dropped in that scuffle”

“Sa” answered Pontius

Conatus made to get up

“Not so fast Conatus” warned Livia

Slightly puzzled Conatus sat back down whilst Pontius finished the tale up to where they had met him at Parricus’ small holding.

Livia looked at Conatus

“Now before you explode, why don’t you tell me what happened with Parricus.”

Obviously seething, Conatus did as he was told.

“Good boy” stated Livia

“Now think and use that brain of yours before you say anything else that will just get you into hot water!”

To both Pontius’ and Lucius’ surprise Conatus did just that. A wry smile broke over his face

“I still think that we should have been informed that you had found it but then you don’t trust all in the Watch”

Pontius shook his head slightly

“Rather than not trust, say rather that Bors would take the politically expedient course rather than the one of justice”

Lucius sighed

“You suspect someone higher in authority than Bors”

“Na, not for the theft itself. However, what was planned to be done with it, sa, both I and the Master do. We need absolutely incontrovertible evidence before we make a move or accusation”

Livia looked at Lucius who shrugged

“You told me as much Dearest, but who is this Eomer?”

Livia gasped

“He is involved? This does run high and deep”

“Just who in Hades is he?” demanded both Lucius and Conatus

493 AD

Livia and Pontius shared a glance. Pontius shrugged

“Eomer is the name used by whoever is in charge of Ebissa’s spy network in the Lordships”

“The Saecsons have a spy network!” exclaimed Lucius

Livia patted Lucius on the cheek

“Oh you naïve man! Of course they do. They always have, although at first it was just merchants and travellers bringing back news. However Ebissa has learnt, especially since he regained power from Aescwine all those years ago. He now has, at least those who are willing to pass on information in all the Lordships.”

“As I bet all the Lordships do as well I’m amazed that there is anyone who actually just serves their Lord!” muttered Conatus

“In some of the smaller Lordships perhaps” acknowledged Pontius

“Except for some reason Caer Ebrauc”

“Well the Aquilae have been active for centuries, they are rather good at recognising those who sell information” stated Livia

“That cadet branch of the Caddo in Deva is nearly as good”

Lucius looked at Livia

“Let me guess, some of your girls have set up business in other Lordships and some men can never keep their mouths shut in those sorts of establishments”

Livia smiled broadly

“You can think things through”

“This is all very interesting, but why would this putative head of a Saecson spy network be interested in this jewel?” demanded Conatus

“I would like to know as well” added Lucius

Pontius looked at them both

“Neither of you know its history? Well, I’m not surprised about Lucius but you, Conatus? I would have thought that you would have gleaned it”

Conatus shook his head

“Na, apart from it being considered an heirloom of My Lord Amhar”

Pontius nodded

“That it is as it has been passed down from Ambrosius to Artos to Amhar. However, it was originally brought back to this island as an heirloom of Hengist”

Lucius frowned

“But Hengist was a warband leader, he wasn’t one of what passed at the time as Saecson nobility!”

“Na, but his grandfather had served as a foederati, well its then equivalent, in the army of Theodosius during and after the Great Conspiracy. He picked it up during the campaign through Northern Britannia. The Master thinks that before then it was in the possession of Fullofaudes but he is not certain.”

Pontius paused

“Its history before then is unknown although it does look like certain jewels found in Aegyptos dating from the Ptolomies”

“So this Eomer is trying to get the jewel back to Ebissa?” asked Lucius

“That would be one feasible hypothesis” agreed Pontius

Lucius groaned

“This is going to involve politics. I hate it when politics is involved. It makes simple problems far more complicated”

“Sa, I agree” added Conatus.

Lucius thought for a moment

“Why not just give it back to Amhar? Let him worry about the politics”

“There are problems with that solution, although it does have the advantage of simplicity” stated Pontius

“They are?” asked Lucius

Pontius looked at Conatus

“Perhaps you had better explain”

Livia and Pontius shared a glance. Pontius shrugged

“Eomer is the name used by whoever is in charge of Ebissa’s spy network in the Lordships”

“The Saecsons have a spy network!” exclaimed Lucius

Livia patted Lucius on the cheek

“Oh you naïve man! Of course they do. They always have, although at first it was just merchants and travellers bringing back news. However Ebissa has learnt, especially since he regained power from Aescwine all those years ago. He now has, at least those who are willing to pass on information in all the Lordships.”

“As I bet all the Lordships do as well I’m amazed that there is anyone who actually just serves their Lord!” muttered Conatus

“In some of the smaller Lordships perhaps” acknowledged Pontius

“Except for some reason Caer Ebrauc”

“Well the Aquilae have been active for centuries, they are rather good at recognising those who sell information” stated Livia

“That cadet branch of the Caddo in Deva is nearly as good”

Lucius looked at Livia

“Let me guess, some of your girls have set up business in other Lordships and some men can never keep their mouths shut in those sorts of establishments”

Livia smiled broadly

“You can think things through”

“This is all very interesting, but why would this putative head of a Saecson spy network be interested in this jewel?” demanded Conatus

“I would like to know as well” added Lucius

Pontius looked at them both

“Neither of you know its history? Well, I’m not surprised about Lucius but you, Conatus? I would have thought that you would have gleaned it”

Conatus shook his head

“Na, apart from it being considered an heirloom of My Lord Amhar”

Pontius nodded

“That it is as it has been passed down from Ambrosius to Artos to Amhar. However, it was originally brought back to this island as an heirloom of Hengist”

Lucius frowned

“But Hengist was a warband leader, he wasn’t one of what passed at the time as Saecson nobility!”

“Na, but his grandfather had served as a foederati, well its then equivalent, in the army of Theodosius during and after the Great Conspiracy. He picked it up during the campaign through Northern Britannia. The Master thinks that before then it was in the possession of Fullofaudes but he is not certain.”

Pontius paused

“Its history before then is unknown although it does look like certain jewels found in Aegyptos dating from the Ptolomies”

“So this Eomer is trying to get the jewel back to Ebissa?” asked Lucius

“That would be one feasible hypothesis” agreed Pontius

Lucius groaned

“This is going to involve politics. I hate it when politics is involved. It makes simple problems far more complicated”

“Sa, I agree” added Conatus.

Lucius thought for a moment

“Why not just give it back to Amhar? Let him worry about the politics”

“There are problems with that solution, although it does have the advantage of simplicity” stated Pontius

“They are?” asked Lucius

Pontius looked at Conatus

“Perhaps you had better explain”
I like your style!

493 AD

Conatus squirmed in his chair. Livia leant forward and patted him on the knee

“I’ll tell”

“How do you? Oh, of course”

Livia looked at Lucius

“You remember the rumours that flew around about the Praefectus a year or so ago”

Lucius nodded

“I do. I thought that Gordianus’ past had finally caught up with him”

Livia shook her head

“Na, he accused Gunver, the Lady Julia’s confidante of being the one that had stolen that jewel. Julia was so incensed that she literally demanded his head”

“Well he’s still there”

“It took the combined arguments of Christoforus, the Bishop and My Master to protect him” added Pontius

Conatus nodded in agreement

“Sa, we thought that he was gone. Both I and Strabo had tried to dissuade him but you know what he can be like”

Lucius sighed

“Indeed I do”

He looked at Pontius

“How did the three persuade Amhar? I find it hard to believe that the Bishop and your Master could agree on anything”

Pontius smiled

“Don’t believe their public posturing. They actually have a very healthy respect for each other. In any case I think that Lady Julia could have persuaded Amhar to disregard both Christoforus and My Master on this issue but the fact that the Bishop agreed with them caused her to stop”

“What did they..Oh, they argued that Gordianus’ position was logical given the evidence to hand. So he had evidence that gave her means and opportunity but lacked a suitable motive and most importantly the jewel in her possession”

“See, he can still think” pointed out Livia.

Lucius sighed

“Hence Bors not being willing to move until he has incontrovertible evidence”

Both Pontius and Conatus nodded

“Sa. He is himself convinced that Gunver did steal the jewel, but while she is protected by the Lady Julia he will not act without such and by now it will be all but impossible to link her with the jewel” continued Conatus.

Lucius frowned

“What is Gunver’s link with this Eomer?”

Pontius looked shocked, both Livia and Conatus smiled wryly.

“How?”

Pontius looked closely at him

“I, now, know why My Master holds you in such high regard”

Lucius smiled

“I may be slow on the uptake but get there even without your Master’s prompting, although then it does take a bit longer”

“To answer your question, we do not know for certain, but if this Eomer is the man that My Master suspects him to be then she is his sister”

“And a spy in My Lord’s household”

Pontius nodded

“Lord Amhar already suspected that but he would rather have that informant be someone he knows than otherwise”

“To spread misinformation on occasion” smiled Livia

“In some respects he takes more after his mother than his father”

Lucius frowned again

“But why so long between the theft and all this nonsense with the geese?”

493 AD

Suddenly Lucius chuckled

“There’s been a second theft hasn’t there!”

It was a statement rather than a question

“Somebody got careless after a year”

“I don’t disagree with you but how have you reached that conclusion?” asked Pontius

“Because all the original thief had to do was sit tight until it was safe to pass it on. If it was who you have more than implied then they were safe from further investigation and as long as it was kept safe it would not be found.

Na, they got careless and an opportunistic thief found it and made off with it.

This entire farrago with the geese was an attempt to hide it from the original thief not from the Watch. “

Lucius chuckled

“It does bear the hallmarks of somebody not that well connected with either the local criminal fraternity or of sufficient position to be able to bluff it out”

“Or it was recognised for what it was and the criminal fraternity wanted nothing to do with it” pointed out Pontius

Lucius inclined his head

“Sa”

Lucius paused

“Didn’t Amhar have the pipes of his palace replaced a few weeks ago?”

“Sa” replied Pontius

Conatus hit his head with his hand

“I’m an idiot!”

He looked at the others

“There has been a spate of beatings recently. I’ve just realised all of them were involved in that work!”

Lucius nodded

“The jewel was hidden in or by a pipe. A workman found it when replacing the pipe. They may well have intended to hand it in (here Lucius smiled wryly) if only because nobody else would touch it. Then he heard about the beatings, panicked and stuffed it down the throat of one of Parricus’ geese intending to retrieve it later. Then everything fell to pieces.

I assume that the beatings have stopped”

Conatus nodded

“There haven’t been any reported, well apart from the usual brawls, since just before the nativity”

Lucius smiled thinly

“They found out where the stone had been hidden. However all the worker could remember was that the goose had bars on its wings”

Pontius stood up

“Which means that they will now have worked out that the Master has it”

“Or one of your cooks.”

Lucius looked at Conatus

“I would keep a close eye on the kitchen staff I rather think that they will be visited next.

I agree with Pontius, they would have to be really desperate to raid the actual villa but stranger things have happened”

“Well the solution is obvious!” snapped Livia

The three men looked at her

“You are probably never going to solve the original theft, too much time has passed. You might possibly find out who took it the second time but they didn’t actually steal it. Finders Keepers and all that.

You also might find out who is carrying out the beatings and who killed Parricus’ geese but they will be minions not the actual original thieves. Mind you somebody ought to pay the cost for what happened there.”

“Parricus will survive but I don’t disagree” stated Conatus

“So what should we do?” asked Lucius

Livia glared at them all and shook her head

“For three supposedly intelligent men..”

“Why don’t you enlighten us then, dear, rather than insult us” requested Lucius.

He was rewarded with an even firmer glare.

493 AD
A party

Amhar sighed, Julia had insisted on hosting a party to celebrate Gunver’s birthday. So here he was having to pretend that he was enjoying himself when he would rather have been trying to counter the increasing demands of the church to be released from paying any taxes at all. He smiled to himself, that was a lie but he would rather be elsewhere!

He actually liked Gunver. She was bright and intelligent, though lacking any sort of formal education apart from what was provided at Ebissa’s court, and gave good advice. However, she was also Ebissa’s main spy at his court. Oh, he had no proof, but there was lots of circumstantial evidence which was very suggestive. He knew what Bors wanted to do and he sympathised but Gunver had become Julia’s best friend and Julia would hear no ill about her. Amhar smiled again to himself, Gunver was an excellent foil to Julia and brought out the best of her and he couldn’t blame Ebissa for having a spy in his household. After all he had in Ebissa’s!

So he circulated, made small talk with various dignitaries and enjoyed the excellent food. He spent longest talking to Gunver’s brother Aedwine. Again, he suspected that Aedwine was the Chief of Ebissa’s spies but had no concrete proof. However, like his sister he was good company and had a near limitless supply of humorous stories about hunting and the various personalities at Ebissa’s court, some of which might actually have been the truth!

There was a discrete cough. Amhar looked up. It was Christoforus

“My Lord, the Legatus of the Watch would like a quick word”

Amhar frowned

“Can’t it wait? You know what will happen if I leave”

“Na, My Lord. However he is waiting in your office”

“I’ll go and make my apologies”

Amhar made his way over to where Gunver was regaling Julia and other ladies with a story about the birth of her brother. Julia looked up and frowned

“Can’t it wait Amhar?” she asked angrily

Surprising it was Gunver who softened Julia’s anger

“My Lady, a Lord’s work does not obey social strictures. My Lord would not leave if it was not important”

Amhar inclined his head

“I will return as quickly as possible”

Julia shook her head

“Na, you will find another excuse to stay away. However, you have stayed longer than usual so my wrath is abated”

“Well, the company is interesting” smiled Amhar

“My Lord is gracious” replied Gunver

“Well if you are going, go” snapped Julia but she smiled at him so Amhar knew that there would not be a big argument later.

Amhar inclined his head and left. He found Bors in his office as Christoforus had indicated.

“You could have found a reason to get me out of there earlier” smiled Amhar

Bors shook his head

“Not after My Lady’s last reaction”

“Fair enough. Now who are these people with you? I recognise two of them.”

Bors bowed

“May I introduce Lucius, my predecessor as Legatus, Conatus of the Watch. Pontius a junior member of the Cult ..”

“And the Master” interrupted Amhar

“An interesting collection”

Amhar paused

“You are not here on something that is either Cult or Watch business”

He looked at the Master

“Are you?”

Gullielmus inclined his head

“You are as perspicacious as your Father My Lord. I am not here as the Master but as a former Watchman who has stumbled across something”

“And brought your old partner into it” smiled Amhar.

“It is to do with those geese isn’t it?”

Gullielmus inclined his head again. Amhar frowned

“That explains Conatus but this man?”(Amhar indicated Pontius)

“Pontius acted as my eyes and legs since I am somewhat constrained nowadays. He is a more than adequate substitute”

“Tell me about it” sighed Amhar

“A more than adequate?”

Amhar fixed Pontius with a stare

“That means that you a reasoner and deducer on his level”

“Na, My Lord, I am but a poor substitute for My Master”

“I doubt that very much” retorted Amhar

“Now your reason for being here?”

Gullielmus put his hand inside his gown and pulled out a blue jewel. Amhar gasped

“How did you find it?”

Gullielmus told the tale but allowed the others input when it was required. Amhar’s frown grew deeper and deeper.

“So she did steal it!”

“There is absolutely no way to prove that My Lord. In any case there is a better solution than accusing her” stated Lucius

Amhar looked at him

“Which is?”

“Give it to Aedwine or Gunver as a gift for Ebissa, after all it was his father’s”

Amhar stared hard at Lucius

“That is far too underhand from what I remember of you when in service, nor is it your style, Master”

Understanding dawned on him

“It is your wife’s idea, Lucius!”

“Sa, My Lord” admitted Lucius.

Amhar smiled broadly

“I like it. Well no time like the present! Bors, come with me”

Amhar looked at the others

“I will not inflict the gathering upon you gentlemen but wait here for my return!”

“Sa, My Lord” they chorused.

493 AD
A party

Amhar returned to the party accompanied by a very reluctant Bors.

“Do I have to be here My Lord?”

Amhar smiled

“Indeed you do. Don’t worry it won’t be for long”

“Sa, but she will be there!”

Amhar looked at him

“Does she scare you that much?”

“Scare is not the right word My Lord. Terrify would be more appropriate. She is so determined!”

Amhar smiled wryly

“Mothers can have that effect”

Bors nodded

“I would be considered a failure even if I became Emperor of the whole Roman Empire, Cerdicus’, Romulus’ and Anthelimus’!”

“Because you have not provided grandchildren?”

“Sa”

Amhar shook his head but said nothing.

“My Lord, this is unexpected” said a surprised Gunver

Julia said nothing but she looked at Amhar suspiciously, took him by the arm and pulled him into a corner.

“What are you going to do?”

Amhar took her hands in his

“Nothing untoward”

Julia’s suspicious look deepened. She looked towards Bors and smiled

“Why have you brought Bors? His Mother is here! You know what happens if they stay in each other’s company for too long!”

“I do” sighed Amhar

“He’ll be gone long before that happens!”

“Well, be quick doing whatever you plan to do” hissed Julia

“She’s making her way towards him!”

Amhar strode into the middle of the room and raised his hands. All fell silent and looked at him.

“I would like to congratulate our main guest on her birthday. In honour of that and because it is soon My Lord Ebissa’s anniversary of regaining power that I wish to make an announcement”

Frantic hushed whispering erupted. Aedwine made his way over to his sister and looked quizzically at her. Gunver shrugged to indicate that she had no idea.

“This is Amhar’s doing alone, if Julia had known she would have told me”

Aedwine nodded

“Ja” he muttered.

Amhar held his hands up again. Once more silence fell. He signalled to Bors who handed him a small bag. Amhar held it aloft.

“As you all know, a certain jewel was lost some time ago. By a series of events it has come back into my possession. He opened the bag and displayed the jewel. There were a series of gasps. Amhar raised his arms again

“How it was lost and how it returned is of no importance, It has been brought to my attention that at one time it was held by My lord Ebissa’s father (even after forty odd years the Britannians found it hard to say either Hengist or Horsa!).

Therefore I would ask the Lady Gunver to accept it on behalf of My Lord Ebissa and arrange for its transport back to him”

Both Gunver and Aedwine looked shocked. Aedwine nudged his sister

“Accept it!”

“He knows!”

“He doesn’t have any proof or he would have said something. Go on!”

Gunver composed herself and stepped forward

“I accept this generous gift on behalf of My Lord Ebissa. May it signify long and prosperous relations between us”

Amhar handed her the jewel and pulled her close and kissed her on both cheeks

“Next time just ask” he whispered.