Improve US Combat Rations both in WW2 and After

US rations?
Wot no tea!
Primitive savages.
You can keep an active Section going unfed for at least three days as long as they can brew up regularly. Hot tea can maintain morale better than cold rations.

BTW British beer is brewed to be served at cellar temperature not room temperature I.e. cool, so that you can taste it. Not freezing cold like the USA fear that the customers will taste their product........

Unless things have changed in the last 30 or so years the ratio of ration swaps of British for US rations was 3 US for 1 British since WW2.

I will say this about my countries shittiest beer ( Milwaukees best, PBR, coors lite, bud lite and the like.

At least their not IPAs.

Driftless

Donor
I will say this about my countries shittiest beer ( Milwaukees best, PBR, coors lite, bud lite and the like.

At least their not IPAs.

Agreed on the major brands - variations on carbonated water..... However, I think the US has some mighty fine small brewery beers, representing the whole spectrum of world types. Seek and ye shall find.. :) ;)

Agreed on the major brands - variations on carbonated water..... However, I think the US has some mighty fine small brewery beers, representing the whole spectrum of world types. Seek and ye shall find.. :) ;)

Like I said quite literally anything is better then IPA's. I joke they taste like liquid Communism. A single sip brings you back to the Breznev era.

I recall watching a program some years back about 'modern' US MREs and the people that developed it asked what the troops really wanted

Bread - was the answer - so they developed a long lasting bread that was sealed in a self heating package - basically it cooked the bread when activated - so the troops would have fresh bread

I have no idea if it was any good - but I cannot imagine the process to allow the product to last would have made it the best bread!
The Germans solved the problem by issuing Black Bread in a can.
(Its shelf life is months as opposed to days)
The British solution was to introduce the Soyer Stove that could make bread in the Field.
(In use for over 120 years, and still kept in store just in case. If you pay attention carefully the cook in Zulu is using one.)

Driftless

Donor
Has the US military ever offered Boston Brown Bread (it's sold in cans) as a food option? It's pretty tasty.

The Germans solved the problem by issuing Black Bread in a can.
(Its shelf life is months as opposed to days)
The British solution was to introduce the Soyer Stove that could make bread in the Field.
(In use for over 120 years, and still kept in store just in case. If you pay attention carefully the cook in Zulu is using one.)
Having served in the Australian Army I well remember the Soya Stoves - having to light them at 5:00am every morning required skill and perseverance I can assure you. We mainly used them for dish cleaning - hot water to clean your dixies after a meal - a not inconsequential act in itself, I can assure you. Our cooks usually used to cook on M59 cookers - petrol fired stoves.

Like I said quite literally anything is better then IPA's. I joke they taste like liquid Communism. A single sip brings you back to the Breznev era.
Given that the purpose was to have British beer that could keep from England to India in the era before refrigeration the extremes they were prepared to go to were probably pretty impressive. What we will do for a taste of home when stationed abroad.

Given that the purpose was to have British beer that could keep from England to India in the era before refrigeration the extremes they were prepared to go to were probably pretty impressive. What we will do for a taste of home when stationed abroad.

It does help if you create a product that tastes so utterly terrible that going rancid might quite possibly improve the taste.

Basically go for the absolute complete and total bottom from the start and you'll find it can't actually degrade.

marathag

Banned
Has the US military ever offered Boston Brown Bread (it's sold in cans) as a food option? It's pretty tasty.
Vietnam era MCI, the 'improved' C-Ration of WWII

Meal, Combat Individual (12/case)​
B-1 Unit (4/case)
B-2 Unit (4/case)
B-3 Unit (4/case)
Accessory
Pack (12/case)
Turkey Loaf Ham and Lima Beans Beef, Spiced with Sauce Spoon, Plastic
Ham, Fried (sliced) Meat Balls with Beans in Tomato Sauce Ham and Eggs, Chopped Salt
Chicken and Noodles Beans, with Frankfurter Chunks in Tomato Sauce Pork Steak Pepper
Beef Steak Beef Slices and Potatoes with Gravy Chicken, Boned Coffee, Instant
Spaghetti and Meatballs (variant) Meat Loaf (variant) Sugar
Fruit (1/meal)
Applesauce
Fruit Cocktail
Peaches
Pears
Dessert (1/meal)
Fruit Cake
Pecan Roll
Pound Cake

Cookies (4)