Imperium Universalis (Roman TL)

1.3 Eastern Client States 40 BC

Zillian

Gone Fishin'

1.3 Eastern Client States 40 BC​

Upon returning to Syria after his Parthian campaign, Caesar embarked on a tour of the Eastern client kingdoms. He began by visiting Lycia and Rhodes, two Roman client states located in southern Anatolia. Given their strategic location controlling the main trade routes between the Aegean Sea and Eastern Mediterranean, they were important allies for Rome. Caesar saw the benefit of incorporating them into the Roman Republic to better secure the eastern border and protect shipping lanes. After lengthy negotiations, Caesar skillfully negotiated an agreement with both Lycia and Rhodes, whereby they agreed to incorporate into the Roman Republic in return for autonomy and not answering to the Senate but to Caesar.

Caesar then turned his attention to the various city-states and leagues in Levant, including the Decapolis league and the Iturean kingdom. After a series of diplomatic meetings and agreements, these client states agreed to join a larger client state under Caesar's leadership, with the promise of autonomy and protection from external threats. This allowed Caesar to better control the region and secure the important trade routes, as well as preventing political instability and the swift change in loyalties that had plagued the region in the past. The newly-formed province was named Phoenicia.

The last of these client states in Levant was the kingdom of Judea under Hyrcanus II of the Hasmonean dynasty. The Judean kingdom had been an important ally of Rome and Caesar had appointed Antipater the Idumaean as governor of Judea as reward for his support in the civil war. Following his death, his son Herod took over his father’s position as governor but he wasn’t recognized nor accepted by the Judean people. Firstly he wasn’t of Jewish heritage, but rather an Edomite, and earned a reputation as a cruel ruler when he was governor of the Roman-occupied Galilee. In addition he had nearly received a death sentence but received royal pardon from his father as well as divorced his wife to marry the Crown Princess Mariamne for political reasons. This made him a pariah among both the Jewish elite and general public.

Herod was forced to flee to Anitoch and sought Caesar's support for his bid for the Judean throne using his engagement to the Crown Princess Mariamne as justification. Initially, Caesar was hesitant to appoint an unpopular ruler as the new client king of Judea, and he dismissed Herod. He instead went to Rome attempting to seek support from powerful figures such as Lepidus and Octavius, but was ultimately unsuccessful in his bid for the Judean throne. From there, he lived in exile in Rome and disappeared from historical records. The Hasmonean dynasty however still held their power in Judea.

Caesar went to Jerusalem and restored Hyrcanus II to the Judean throne. As part of his reformed Client state system, much of the territories which Pompey took from Judea were returned. The grandson of both Hyrcanus II and his brother Aristobulus II was confirmed as the heir to the Judean throne, while Aristobulus’ son Antigonus was confirmed as heir to the priesthood. This would hopefully help to solve the political crisis that had plagued Judea by separating the crown and the priesthood. Still Caesar warned Hyrcanus II and Antigonus II that should a civil war break out once again, then Judea would be annexed to the Roman republic.

Before returning to Rome, Caesar made his way to Egypt where he visited his longtime ally, Queen Cleopatra. She was at the time the sole ruler of Egypt since her brother Ptolemy XIV had died under mysterious circumstances. Upon his arrival, Caesar was greeted by the queen and their son nicknamed Little Caesar or Caesarion, who was around eight years old at the time. During his stay, Caesar toured the great city of Alexandria, impressed by its beauty and the vast wealth of its inhabitants. Caesar was delighted to finally meet his son and spent much of his time in Egypt getting to know him, and including him in public appearances.

Despite rumours of their romantic relationship, Caesar’s visit was focused on developing a strong partnership with Egypt as the Egyptian kingdom was also a key piece of his reformed client state system. Caesar’s idea was to develop an interconnected self-policing system of alliances in the Roman east linked together through their relationship with Egypt. Rome would support Egyptian suzerainty over Nabataea, Judea, Phoenicia, Syria, Cilicia and Cyprus with the guarantee of Egyptian cooperation against Parthain aggressive expansion. Cleopatra was proclaimed Queen of kings and Queen of Egypt, and she was reaffirmed as the legitimate ruler of Egypt. All this was to provide stability and protect Roman interest in the region.

Cleopatra had also hoped that Caesar would name their son, Caesarion, as his heir. However, Caesar recognized the difficulties in appointing a non-Roman as his successor. Although Caesar was fond of Caesarion, he had already been grooming Octavius to take over his legacy. Despite this, Caesar promised to bring Caesarion to Rome and provide him with a Roman education. Caesar also ensured that Caesarion would inherit his mother’s kingdom of Egypt and be granted Roman citizenship.

Meanwhile in Rome, Lepidus and Octavius worked to consolidate their power and maintain peace in the wake of Caesar's absence. They focused on strengthening alliances and ensuring that their supporters remained loyal to Caesar. Octavius’ attention, however, was also drawn to matters of the heart. He had taken a keen interest in Livia Drusilla, the daughter of a prominent senator who had opposed Caesar’s dictatorship. Despite her father's opposition to Caesar, Octavius was smitten with Livia and saw her as a potential ally in his quest for power. Livia, for her part, was equally taken with Octavius’ charm and charisma.

The two began a discreet courtship, with Octavius making frequent visits to Livia's home. After several months of courtship, Octavius and Livia were married in a small ceremony attended only by their closest friends and family. The marriage cemented an important political alliance between Octavius and Livia's family, and allowed Octavius to benefit from the political support of Livia's father, despite his opposition to Caesar. With Livia at his side, he continued to build alliances and expand his network of supporters, laying the groundwork for his eventual rise to power. It didn’t last very long before they bore a daughter Julia, named after Julius Caesar.

Caesar finally arrived back to Rome in the autumn of 714 AUC as a hero, with an extravagant triumph celebrating his victory over the Parthians. He presented the legionary Eagle standards to the Senate, and they rewarded Caesar the victory title of Parthicus. His great nephew was also officially adopted as his heir, taking the name of his adoptive father. However, Caesar surprised many by also presenting his illegitimate son Caesarion and officially recognizing him as his son. While some in the Senate were uneasy about this acknowledgement, Caesar was determined to give Caesarion the best possible start in life and secure his position as his second heir.

Nevertheless the stage for Caesar to reform the Roman Republic was set.

Last edited:

Zillian

Gone Fishin'
On Christianity
While I do know I had already from the beginning said in the introduction that Christianity wouldn't exist in this timeline as I find it interesting to explore how a pagan Europe would develop with the absence of both Christianity and Islam. If you prefer to read about a Christian Roman empire, then I would point you to this Roman Superpower timeline which I myself find to be wanky and unrealistic. Having said that, one of the immediate butterfly effects after the PoD would actually throw the Jewish history completely out of its course without the chaos of the Second Triumvirate, the post-Caesar civil wars and the Parthian occupation of Judea. Nor could I see a reason for Caesar to appoint Herod "the Great" as king of Judea when the kingdom already had Hyrcanus II as its king. Furthermore Jesus would also have been born roughly 44 years after the assassination of Caesar and his parents might not have been born either. So we can safely say that both Christianity and Islam have been butterflied away together with the birth of a completely different Jewish faith thanks to the survival of Caesar.

Also a shout out to the Jewish Youtube channel Sam Aronow dedicated to putting Jewish history back in the context of world history

On Christianity
While I do know I had already from the beginning said in the introduction that Christianity wouldn't exist in this timeline as I find it interesting to explore how a pagan Europe would develop with the absence of both Christianity and Islam. If you prefer to read about a Christian Roman empire, then I would point you to this Roman Superpower timeline which I myself find to be wanky and unrealistic.
I think Saint Caligula would be a better bet since it involves an earlier Christian Rome who's wanked socially by living up to the early christian ideals

I do agree too that with a POD like this Christianity as we know is unlikely to exist in a non-ASB fashion, its why it wasnt included in my TL as well despite me teasing it a bit

Map: Atlas of Middle Earth

Zillian

Gone Fishin'
Atlas of Middle Earth
As I have used the term Middle Earth a few time, I would like to clarifying why I am using it. This is not a reference to the Tolkien franchise but rather a reference to the Nordic cosmology Midgard, the ancient Greek worldview and the Chinese Middle Kingdom. In this world the term (Afro-)Eurasia doesn't exist as this concept emerged after the Fall of Rome, Rise of Islam and Reign of Charlemagne which wouldn't happen here. In this alternative history the Mediterranean would still be the central focus of culture, economy and governance. The classic Greco-Roman society didn't seen Europe, Asia and Africa as three separating continents but rather one continuous landmass, and this worldview would continue to be used and even being adopted by the Germans who had a similar worldview in the form of Midgard. The people in this world would also be much more connected unlike our timeline where it was spilt between Christianity, Islam and the Far East. Hence it make sense that these people in this world would use another term to refer to Afro-Eurasia and Middle Earth is the closest term I can come up with.

In this world there are only 4 landmasses and these are the Middle Earth, Elysia, Oceania and Antarctica.

The Middle Earth itself is divided into 12 continents. The "continent" as a term is a bit different than we are familiar with and is developed from the ancient Greek worldview. These are Europa, Asia, Sarmatia, Bactria, India, Chersona, Serica, Hyperborea, Libya, Guinea, Aethiopia and Bentea

Europe
Europe is composed by Hispania, Galla, Pritannic Isles, Germania, Italia, Pannonia and Graecia. However Europe ends at Vistula-San-Dniester, the shortest line between Baltic and Black Sea. Scandinavia isn't included in the European continent either.

Asia
Asia is composed by Anatolia, Caucasus, Armenia, Levant, Egypt, Mesopotamia, Arabian Peninsula and Iranian plateau. Egypt is included for both historical and cultural reasons.

Sarmatia
I am undecide on what to call East European Plain but for now I stick to Sarmatia. The continent is composed by two parts; Sarmatian steppes and Slavian Forests

Bactria
I am undecide on what to call Central Asia but for now I picking Bactria as its name is based on the city of Bactra, a important Silk Road hub and the center of both Buddhism and Zoroastrianism religions as well as the wealthiest and largest city in the continent. The continent is composed by Steppes, deserts, Tibetan Plateau and Mongolian Plateau

India
Obliviously India itself

Chersona
The alternative name of Southeast Asia and based on the Golden Ghersonese

Serica
Obliviously China itself and refer to China proper, Korea, Japan and Taiwan

Hyperborea
Based on the mythological Northern region in Greek mythology. However it doesn't have a connection to the racist concept of Hyperborean nor in the modern esoteric thought. Hyperborea is the alternative name of Subarctic region in Eurasia

Libya
Libya is composed by Sahara and North Africa except Egypt

Guinea
I am undecide on what to call the continent but for now I pick Guinea. It is composed by Western Africa and parts of Central Africa

Aethiopia
Aethiopia is composed by Sudan and African Horn

Bentea
Bentea is composed by parts of Central Africa and Southern Africa. It is based on the most widespread language Bantu languages

I will update the atlas as I develop this timeline

Atlas of Middle Earth v2.png

Last edited:
1.4 Constitutional Reforms 39 BC

Zillian

Gone Fishin'

1.4 Constitutional Reforms 39 BC​

In Rome, Caesar began to question the long term stability of the New Order he had created, and sought to establish a new constitution. First, he wanted to suppress all armed resistance out in the provinces, and thus bring order back to the republic. Second, he wanted to create a strong central government in Rome. And finally he wanted to knit together the entire Republic into a single cohesive unit. The first goal was accomplished when Caesar defeated both Pompey, king Burebista and king Orodes II.

During his time as dictator, Caesar accumulated immense power and popularity among the people of Rome. He went a step further by seeking recognition from the Senate and was acclaimed with several prestigious titles, including Magnus Imperator, Augustus, and Princeps Civitatis. As Pontifex Maximus, he was the chief high priest of the College of Pontiffs in Rome. The title of Magnus Imperator designated him as the Supreme Commander of the Military, cementing his authority over the armed forces. As Princeps Civitatis, he held all of the dictatorial, consular, tribunal, and censorial powers into one position, which included proconsular authority in whatever province he was in.

These new titles solidified his status as the master of the state, framing his rule as a continuation of Republican tradition rather than a reintroduction of legal monarchy. Augustus, in particular, conveyed the idea of a sacred and elevated status, with connotations of divine favour and a new era of peace and prosperity for the Roman people. By adopting this title, Caesar positioned himself as a transformative leader who was destined to lead Rome into a new golden age. Afterward he stepped down from his consulship and disbanded the office of dictatorship.

After consolidating his power as the Supreme Commander of the Military Commander and First Citizen of Rome, Caesar began to reshape the political system to his liking. He granted himself the right to summon the Senate at any time, speak first, propose or veto any laws, and sit on the Consul's platform. He also had the power to grant amnesty to criminals. As the leader of the Senate, Caesar became the guardian of the freedom and welfare of the Roman People. However, while the Consuls and other magistrates were still formally elected, Caesar de facto nominated them. The magistrates became representatives of the princeps rather than the people of Rome, as Caesar saw this as necessary to counterbalance the dominating influence of the Senate and Equestrians.

The Senate grew increasingly uneasy and deeply divided in their opinions. Some saw Caesar's actions as necessary measures to prevent the Roman Republic from collapsing, while others viewed them as a blatant disregard for the Republic and a move towards tyranny. Cicero emerged as a vocal opponent of Caesar, warning of the dangers of granting too much power in a single individual. He saw the de facto nomination of magistrates as a dangerous erosion of the republican principles that had long been the foundation of Roman governance. Other senators echoed his concerns, with many fearing that the Senate would become little more than a rubber stamp for Caesar's decisions. The mood in the Senate was tense, with senators weighing their loyalty to Rome against their desire to protect their own positions of power.

Caesar defended his de facto nomination of magistrates as a necessary measure to ensure a more efficient and effective governance. He argued that the old system of electing magistrates based on the whims of the powerful families had resulted in ineffective and corrupt governance. By nominating magistrates himself, he would be enabled to select the most capable individuals to serve in public office, regardless of their social status or connections. He believed that this approach would result in a more efficient and effective government, as those with the necessary skills and experience would be given the opportunity to lead, rather than being excluded due to their background. Caesar saw this as a way to restore the principles of merit and competence to the magistracy.

He then asked Cicero what he would have done to save the republic, given the dire state of affairs in Rome. Cicero acknowledged that the situation was difficult, but maintained that the republic could only be preserved by upholding its established institutions and principles. He argued that allowing any one individual to amass too much power would ultimately lead to the downfall of the republic. Caesar countered that the republic was already in a state of crisis, and that the traditional institutions of government were no longer sufficient to address the challenges facing Rome. He pointed out that the Republic needed to innovate and adapt to ensure its survival or it would go into further collapse.

Cicero changed his tactics and accused Caesar for not having adhered to the Mos Maiorum, the unwritten Roman moral code. Caesar defended himself and argued that his achievements, respect from the Roman people, and overall authority gave him dignitas and auctoritas. He also claimed that he upheld the values of Fides, as he always kept his word and never abused his power, and even showed mercy to his enemies. Moreover, he demonstrated pietas through his devotion to his family, and providing his son with a successful future despite the circumstances of his birth. As Pontifex Maximus, he had followed the religio and cultus throughout his career, even implementing reforms to the calendar to better align with religious rituals. Finally, Caesar pointed out that he displayed discipline, gravitas, and constantia by fighting alongside his army in times of great need, even facing the possibility of dying on the battlefield.

Caesar argued that he was not neglecting the traditional values of Roman society, but was rather adapting them to fit the changing times. He believed that the strength and success of Rome was dependent on its ability to evolve and innovate, while still maintaining its core values and traditions. In conclusion, Caesar pointed out he was indeed a model Roman who upheld the virtues and values of the Mos Maiorum while also acknowledging the realities of the changing world. He emphasised that his reforms were meant to strengthen Rome and ensure its future prosperity, and that he was willing to face any criticism or opposition in order to achieve this goal.

Cicero and the Senate were however still uncertain about how to respond to Caesar's increasing power and his tendency towards autocracy. In an effort to expand his support base, Caesar turned to the people of Rome and began using the Public Assemblies to sway public opinion in his favour. He reformed the four Public Assemblies into one assembly, which he called Comitia Publica, with the aim of making it more representative of the people. To achieve this, the voting process was reorganised based on occupation and social class rather than wealth and property. Additionally, measures were taken to ensure that all citizens were informed about candidates and issues being voted on, making the assembly more inclusive and accessible to all.

Caesar's reformed Comitia Publica was held in Seapta Julia, a newly constructed forum at the Campus Martius. This was meant to give the people a dedicated space to gather and participate in the political process and have a stronger voice in the Roman government. As for the Senate, it was moved back to the Curia Julia, a rebuilt Senate House in the recently built Forum of Caesar, adjacent to the Roman Forum. The new Forum of Caesar was primarily used for public business related to the Senate, legal proceedings, and commercial transactions, serving as a symbol of Caesar's power and achievements. With these new spaces, Caesar was able to centralise and streamline the political process, making it more efficient and effective.

All the while as Caesar reformed the Roman government, Octavius and his best friend Agrippa went on their own adventure in Hispania.

Yes! Caesar is taking power and titles like nobody's businness!

And can't wait to see what the dynamic duo are up to!

During his time as dictator, Caesar accumulated immense power and popularity among the people of Rome. He went a step further by seeking recognition from the Senate and was acclaimed with several prestigious titles, including Magnus Imperator, Augustus, and Princeps Civitatis. As Pontifex Maximus, he was the chief high priest of the College of Pontiffs in Rome. The title of Magnus Imperator designated him as the Supreme Commander of the Military, cementing his authority over the armed forces. As Princeps Civitatis, he held all of the dictatorial, consular, tribunal, and censorial powers into one position, which included proconsular authority in whatever province he was in.

These new titles solidified his status as the master of the state, framing his rule as a continuation of Republican tradition rather than a reintroduction of legal monarchy. Augustus, in particular, conveyed the idea of a sacred and elevated status, with connotations of divine favour and a new era of peace and prosperity for the Roman people. By adopting this title, Caesar positioned himself as a transformative leader who was destined to lead Rome into a new golden age. Afterward he stepped down from his consulship and disbanded the office of dictatorship.

After consolidating his power as the Supreme Commander of the Military Commander and First Citizen of Rome, Caesar began to reshape the political system to his liking. He granted himself the right to summon the Senate at any time, speak first, propose or veto any laws, and sit on the Consul's platform. He also had the power to grant amnesty to criminals. As the leader of the Senate, Caesar became the guardian of the freedom and welfare of the Roman People. However, while the Consuls and other magistrates were still formally elected, Caesar de facto nominated them. The magistrates became representatives of the princeps rather than the people of Rome, as Caesar saw this as necessary to counterbalance the dominating influence of the Senate and Equestrians.
He's been talking a lot with Octavian hasnt he?

Not to say he couldnt have come with it on his own, but prior to the parthian campaign his methods were a lot more...blunt

So I like the idea he's taking some of his nephew's ideas while also keeping his own
Cicero emerged as a vocal opponent of Caesar, warning of the dangers of granting too much power in a single individual. He saw the de facto nomination of magistrates as a dangerous erosion of the republican principles that had long been the foundation of Roman governance. Other senators echoed his concerns, with many fearing that the Senate would become little more than a rubber stamp for Caesar's decisions. The mood in the Senate was tense, with senators weighing their loyalty to Rome against their desire to protect their own positions of power.

Caesar defended his de facto nomination of magistrates as a necessary measure to ensure a more efficient and effective governance. He argued that the old system of electing magistrates based on the whims of the powerful families had resulted in ineffective and corrupt governance. By nominating magistrates himself, he would be enabled to select the most capable individuals to serve in public office, regardless of their social status or connections. He believed that this approach would result in a more efficient and effective government, as those with the necessary skills and experience would be given the opportunity to lead, rather than being excluded due to their background. Caesar saw this as a way to restore the principles of merit and competence to the magistracy.

He then asked Cicero what he would have done to save the republic, given the dire state of affairs in Rome. Cicero acknowledged that the situation was difficult, but maintained that the republic could only be preserved by upholding its established institutions and principles. He argued that allowing any one individual to amass too much power would ultimately lead to the downfall of the republic. Caesar countered that the republic was already in a state of crisis, and that the traditional institutions of government were no longer sufficient to address the challenges facing Rome. He pointed out that the Republic needed to innovate and adapt to ensure its survival or it would go into further collapse.

Cicero changed his tactics and accused Caesar for not having adhered to the Mos Maiorum, the unwritten Roman moral code. Caesar defended himself and argued that his achievements, respect from the Roman people, and overall authority gave him dignitas and auctoritas. He also claimed that he upheld the values of Fides, as he always kept his word and never abused his power, and even showed mercy to his enemies. Moreover, he demonstrated pietas through his devotion to his family, and providing his son with a successful future despite the circumstances of his birth. As Pontifex Maximus, he had followed the religio and cultus throughout his career, even implementing reforms to the calendar to better align with religious rituals. Finally, Caesar pointed out that he displayed discipline, gravitas, and constantia by fighting alongside his army in times of great need, even facing the possibility of dying on the battlefield.

Caesar argued that he was not neglecting the traditional values of Roman society, but was rather adapting them to fit the changing times. He believed that the strength and success of Rome was dependent on its ability to evolve and innovate, while still maintaining its core values and traditions. In conclusion, Caesar pointed out he was indeed a model Roman who upheld the virtues and values of the Mos Maiorum while also acknowledging the realities of the changing world. He emphasised that his reforms were meant to strengthen Rome and ensure its future prosperity, and that he was willing to face any criticism or opposition in order to achieve this goal.
Love the debate of ideas, specially since I had Cicero implement his own vision of a Restored Republic in my TL

Wonder what Caesar would have thought about it?

Caesar's system is in fact much more effective and meritocratic, more suitable for a ever changing environment, he's absolutely right about that

However much like the Roman Empire of OTL it is highly reliant on a single individual being ever efficient, ever effective and in general having his shit together
Plus not ending up assassinated making the position of Emperor a bargain sale

Which means as a long term system it is prone to some serious case of Caligulas and it may be terminal if it catches the disease known as Praetorians, but as it stands it is still a more functional than the Late Roman Republic

Regarding his roman morals, yeah we know Julius you're awesome

Zillian

Gone Fishin'
Cicero is a product of his time but I still like him. And yes he does have a point about individuals amassing too much powers. Look what happened to him when he protested against Mark Atony in our history. Cicero still have a role to play further down of the timeline!
it may be terminal if it catches the disease known as Praetorians
How can we avoid this disease? I think some form of bodyguards might be a good idea. I play with the idea to create three imperial guard units to promoting rivalry between them. However I would at least create the Germanic bodyguard which ironically got disbanded because they were too loyal to Caligulas

1.5 Hispanic Campaign 39-36 BC

Zillian

Gone Fishin'

1.5 Hispanic Campaign 39-36 BC​

Hispania was a land of great potential wealth, with abundant mineral and agricultural resources, including its famed silver mines. Although much of the peninsula had already been brought under Roman control, several tribes in the northern regions remained independent. When Caesar served as governor of Hispania Ulterior, he had planned to conquer these remaining tribes, but was recalled to Rome to deal with political troubles. When he was in Rome, he decided to pursue other ambitions rather than return to Hispania and finish his conquest. Now, as the sole ruler of Rome, Caesar saw an opportunity to finish what he had started and bring these tribes under Roman rule, expanding the Republic’s territory and resources.

Caesar initially considered leading the conquest himself, but he was old and his newfound responsibilities in Rome didn’t allow him to leave the city for long. Instead he decided to send his heir Octavius to lead the campaign together with his friend Agrippa as second in command. This challenging campaign was also meant to test his heir and provide him leadership experience. The two men set sail for Hispania with eight legions and various auxiliary units, ready to conquer the remaining tribes and bring all of the peninsula under Roman control. To ensure the success of the campaign, the Roman navy was also sent to provide support and blockade the Cantabrian coast.

Their conquest began in the north from Segisama, but the Roman forces faced fierce opposition from the Cantabrians and other northern tribes. The Cantabrians, in particular, were known for their skillful use of asymmetric and their ability to utilise the mountainous terrain to their advantage. Despite the challenges, Octavius and Agrippa were determined to succeed and began a methodical campaign to conquer the northern tribes. They laid siege to Cantabrian strongholds one by one, cutting off their supply lines and slowly starving out the defenders. Roman engineers were brought in to build roads and bridges that allowed them to quickly move their forces and outmanoeuvre the Cantabrians.

As the Cantabrians were slowly defeated, the Roman forces moved south to conquer the other remaining tribes. The Asturians and Lusitanians put up a fight, but they were no match for the well-trained Roman army. Octavius and Agrippa made strategic alliances with some of the local tribes, offering them protection and other incentives to join the Roman cause. Still the conquest of the northern tribes wasn’t without its cost as the Roman army suffered significant losses in the fighting. The conflict was brutal as the Romans refused to take prisoners and the Celts fought to death as they refused to be taken as slaves.

Octavius returned to Rome after three years of campaigning and left his friend behind to pacify the remaining pockets of resistance. The war was to the Romans a minor conflict compared to other major wars that the Republic had fought in the past, but it still marked a significant expansion of Roman territory and influence in Hispania. Octavius was greeted as a hero upon his return to Rome, and Caesar granted him the title of Imperator, a prestigious military honour. The conquest of Hispania brought substantial wealth to Rome, including much-needed resources like silver, as well as new lands to settle and govern.

While Octavius and Agrippa were busy campaigning in Hispania, Caesar pushed through his provisional reforms in the Senate. In the past, the Republican provinces were governed by magistrates appointed by the Senate on an annual basis, which resulted in a lack of continuity and effectiveness in administration. Each new magistrate had their own priorities and political agenda, which made it difficult to implement long-term plans. To remedy this, Caesar divided the provinces into two classes: Imperial and Senatorial. The Imperial provinces were governed directly by Caesar and his designated representatives, while the Senatorial provinces were administered by senators.

The Imperial provinces were governed directly by the Emperor or by his appointed representative, usually a legate. These provinces were considered to be of strategic or military importance such as at the frontier or along major trade routes. The governors of Imperial provinces held significant power and were often given the authority to raise armies and collect taxes. Because they answered directly to the Emperor, they were less susceptible to political manoeuvring and corruption than the governors of Senatorial provinces. They also served as a buffer zone against external threats and allowed for the expansion of Roman influence beyond their border.

The Senatorial provinces were the remaining territories that were still governed by the Senate. These provinces were considered less strategically important or free from the likelihood of rebellion. They were governed by proconsuls who were appointed annually by the Senate. The governors in these provinces were mostly ex-magistrates who had served their term in Rome. Unlike the Imperial provinces, the Senatorial provinces did not contribute any tax revenue to the state and their administration was seen as more bureaucratic than efficient.

Caesar also made other changes to the administration of the provinces, such as introducing a system of census-taking to assess the population and wealth of each province. This was used to determine how much tax each province had to pay, as well as to identify potential recruits for the Roman army. Caesar also reorganised the courts, creating a new system of jury selection and establishing provincial courts to handle local disputes. After the conquest of Hispania, Caesar restructured the two provinces of Hispania Citerior and Hispania Ulterior. Hispania Citerior was divided into two provinces: Tarraconensis in the north and Baetica in the south. Hispania Ulterior was also divided into two provinces: Lusitania in the west with the remainder merged into Hispania Balearica in the east. The restructuring of the provinces allowed for more efficient administration and better military control of the region.

Still the Republic was not yet at peace and Caesar sent Octavius to deal with the Illyrian piracy in the Adriatic Sea.

Zillian

Gone Fishin'
As my real life situation had changed, I wouldn't longer be able to post updates every third days as I could last month. So expect weekly update or every other week

As my real life situation had changed, I wouldn't longer be able to post updates every third days as I could last month. So expect weekly update or every other week
That is perfectly understandable
Thank you very much for your good work

No problem man, RL comes first and the wait is worth it!

Octavian and Agrippa nailed it, as expected.

And now to deal with pirates!

1.6 Illyrian Campaign 35-31 BC

Zillian

Gone Fishin'

1.6 Illyrian Campaign 35-31 BC​

Illyria was a land known for its rough terrain, with towering mountains, thick forests, winding valleys, and rushing rivers. The Illyrian tribes who lived there were notorious for engaging in piracy and raiding Roman territories and trade routes. For twenty years the province had been neglected and by the time nonexistent apart from a few isolated Roman garrisons. Caesar decided to bring into the fold of Rome once again and appointed his nephew and his friend Agrippa to lead a military campaign, with a formidable force made up of several legions and auxiliaries. A fleet was also brought along to provide additional support.

Their camping in Illyria began with a three-pronged offensive. The Roman army, which had gathered along Illyria’s Italian border, was split in half. Octavius led one half to strike northeast into the mountainous interior, while Agrippa commanded the other half to attack southeast along the coast. At the same time, the Roman fleet supported Agrippa’s advance by systematically attacking naval ports up and down the coast, which had been home to the pirates in the Adriatic Sea. Despite careful planning, the Illyrian campaign faced strong resistance, and both Octavius and Agrippa encountered several setbacks in the early stages of the offensive.

Octavius' primary objective during the Illyrian campaign was to advance and reach the Danube River. However, the rugged terrain of Illyria made the fighting challenging and he could only manage to reach the river Sava. Illyria was a maze of mountains, hills, and valleys that provided an ideal environment for guerrilla warfare, making it difficult for the Romans to make progress. Once Agrippa secured the coast, he quickly marched north to Octavius’ aid, and he adapted his tactic to the conditions on the ground based on his experiences from the Hispanic campaign. Large scouting parties were sent ahead of the main force to assess the situation, but this caution came at the cost of slowing down the pace of the campaign.

What was supposed to be a one year campaign dragged into its third year, but they persevered and gradually wore down the resistance of the Illyrian tribes. In the end they gained Roman control over Illyria in 723 AUC. As the Illyrian campaign had progressed deeper inland, the province was renamed Dalmatia. Rather than pursuing further campaigns, Octavius returned to Rome in the final year of Caesar’s reign to ensure a smooth transition of power. His friend Agrippa was left to consolidate the Roman rule over the newly expanded province.

While Octavius and Agrippa were away on their Illyrian campaign, Caesar focused on administrative reforms. He divided the recently conquered Gaul into three provinces, namely Aquitania, Celtica, and Belgica, with the aim of improving control over Gaul. In addition, he merged the provinces of Cispania and Italia, and granted citizenship to all communities in Sicily, further strengthening his hold on the Italian peninsula. A gradual system of citizenship was also introduced to allow conquered people to earn citizenship over a period over time. This approach aligned with his version of a strong centralised empire with loyal citizens who were invested in the success of Rome.

The expanded Italian province was reorganised into eleven regions, each with its own capital and governor. These regions were based on geographical boundaries and natural features such as rivers and mountain ranges, rather than political or administrative boundaries. The governors of the regions were appointed by Caesar, and had the responsibility of maintaining law and order, collecting taxes, and ensuring the loyalty of their region to Rome. The new system streamlined the administration of Italia, making it easier for the Roman magistracy to govern and control the peninsula. It also enabled more efficient taxation and facilitated the movement of troops and supplies throughout the region, contributing to the long-term stability and prosperity of the Roman Republic.

During Sulla's dictatorship, a law was passed which prohibited Roman governors and generals from crossing the Rubicon without the express permission of the Senate. Caesar later expanded this law to include a prohibition against bringing an army into any of the provinces without the Senate's express permission. The purpose of this law was to prevent ambitious generals from using their military power to challenge the authority of Caesar or seize power for themselves. By expanding the Italian border to the Alps, the Senate or Caesar could respond to threats more promptly. Furthermore magistrates and governors were forbidden from lead to command an army in the Senatorial provinces.

Another reform was the establishment of a permanent bodyguard in response to the attempt on his life. Before this, he had been confident and complacent about his security. The new bodyguard was made up of the Germanic soldiers who had previously accompanied him on his campaigns. They became part of his personal imperial guard unit and swore to protect him. To ensure their loyalty and reliability, Caesar recruited a cohort of Germanic soldiers from distant parts of the Republic. This meant they had no political or personal connections with Rome or the provinces. They were tasked with the protection of Caesar and his closest relatives, including his son Caesarion.

When his son Caesarion arrived in Rome, he was not only a symbol of Caesar's power, but also a potential threat to the existing political order. Therefore, his education was closely monitored by those in power. Apollodorus, Cleopatra's trusted advisor, was not only responsible for Caesarion's education, but also for ensuring his safety. Despite the protection of the Germanic guards, there were still concerns about his safety, which led to a heightened sense of paranoia among those in Caesar's inner circle. Nevertheless, Caesarion continued to receive the best education that Rome had to offer, studying a variety of subjects, including literature, philosophy, and military strategy. As he approached adulthood, however, he began to realise the limitations of his position, and the difficult path he would have to navigate if he hoped to claim his rightful place as the heir to Caesar's legacy.

Another grand construction project completed by Caesar was the Library Julia based on the famous library of Alexandria. A grand and ambitious project that reflects his version for Rome as a centre of learning and intellectual excellences. To ensure its success, Caesar recruited the best scholars and librarians from across the Republic, tasked with acquiring and cataloguing works of literature, philosophy, science, and history. The library quickly became a hub of intellectual activity, attracting scholars and students from across the known world. In addition to its vast collection of books, the library also featured lecture halls, study rooms, and gardens, making it a truly comprehensive institution of learning.

There in this library Caesar, Cicero and a team of lawyers, philosophers and legal scholars completed one of the most important works to date - the codification of Roman law

Great chapter! Illyria has been brough into the fold of rome! Another achievement for the best friends.

Let's hope Caesarion can inherit egypt peacefully and rule alongside octavian well.

And can't wait to see what the most brilliant minds of rome will come up with.

Zillian

Gone Fishin'
I wonder: why arn't much activities and feedbacks here?

However I do have a question for the reader. Would you be interesing to read omakes like screenshot of future? I playing with this idea to write a tour guide of Copenhagen in modern time complete with a turist map of said city

I wonder: why arn't much activities and feedbacks here?

However I do have a question for the reader. Would you be interesing to read omakes like screenshot of future? I playing with this idea to write a tour guide of Copenhagen in modern time complete with a turist map of said city
That would be very interesting.

1.7 Roman Law Codification 31 BC

Zillian

Gone Fishin'

1.7 Roman Law Codification 31 BC​

At the time, the Legal system in the Roman Republic was highly complex and fragmented. There were many different laws and legal procedures that varied from provinces to provinces, each with their own customs and traditions. This makes it difficult for citizens to understand their rights and obligations under the law. The complexity of the legal system also made it vulnerable to corruption and abuse, as powerful individuals could use their influence to bend the law in their favour. Most of them were likewise a set of unwritten guidelines and principles passed down mainly through precedent.

Caesar had recognized these problems and proposed a series of reforms to simplify and standardise the legal system. Among his proposed reforms was the codification of Roman law into a comprehensive code that would be applicable to all citizens throughout the Republic. By documenting the laws, citizens would be able to easily comprehend and assert their legal rights. Moreover, Caesar wished to legitimise his new position in the republic through legal means. As a result, he recruited the services of Cicero, despite their political differences, to collaborate with him on this crucial project.

Both Caesar and Cicero began the monumental task of compiling the codified civil law immediately upon Caesar's return from his Parthian campaign. A commission was formed to oversee the process, which involved collecting and condensing the vast number of Roman constitutions and court proceedings. This commission was explicitly authorised to omit or modify text that was obsolete or contradictory. After seven years of extensive work, the great undertaking was completed and presented to the Republic in 723 AUC. The result of their labour was the Corpus Juris Civilis, or the Body of Civil Law, which consisted of four main parts: The Institutes, the Digest, the Codex, and the Novels.

The Institutes was a systematic and comprehensive instruction to Roman law covering topics such as persons, property, contracts, and crimes. It was divided into four books, each of which is further divided into chapters. The first book covers the law of persons, including the legal status of different individuals, such as slaves and citizens, and the rules governing family relationships, such as marriage and inheritance. The second book covers the law of things, including property rights, the transfer of property, and the protection of property. The third book covers the law of obligations, including contracts, delicts, and quasi-contracts. The fourth book covers the law of legal actions, including the various forms of legal action available to individuals to enforce their legal rights.

The Digest consisted of 50 books covering a wide range of legal topics, including property law, contracts, family law, inheritance, torts, and criminal law. It was organised thematically rather than chronologically, and each book covers a specific area of law. The writings of the jurists were carefully selected and edited by a team of legal scholars appointed by Caesar and Cicero, who were tasked with removing any inconsistencies or contradictions and making the law more accessible and understandable to the public. This series of books was intended to be a comprehensive guide to Roman law for judges, lawyers, and law students, and it quickly became the authoritative source for legal practice in the Republic.

The Codex was a collection of constitutions and laws from ancient time to the time of Julius Caesar. All laws scattered across various sources were brought together in one place and made them easier to understand for anyone who was not a legal expert. The Codex contained a few thousand constitutions, and was divided into twelve books, each containing laws on a particular subject such as family law, criminal law, and property law. This Codex was also significant because it established a hierarchy of laws making it superior to any conflicting laws that might exist elsewhere. This hierarchy helped to create a more unified and consistent legal system in the Republic.

The Novels, also known as the New Laws, were a collection of new legal codes and interpretations issued by Caesar and subsequent Princeps, which supplemented and updated the existing laws contained in the other three parts of the Corpus Juris Civilis. One of the most significant contributions of the Novels was the legal recognition of the position of Princeps, making it hereditary through adoption with the approval from the Senate and the Public Assembly. The law also clearly defined the balance of power between the executive and legislative branches of government. While the role of the Roman Senate was largely advisory and ceremonial, it had the sole power to select a new Princeps from the governors of the Imperial provinces in the event of a break in the line of succession. In addition, the Novels clearly defined civil war as illegal and granted the Senate the power, during times of martial law, to raise armies and appoint proconsuls to lead them against rogue generals and in defence of the Senate and senatorial provinces.

The codification of Roman laws into the Corpus Juris Civilis had revolutionised the legal landscape of the Republic, ushering in a new era of legal order and coherence. The collaborative effort of legal scholars and lawyers to systematise and consolidate Roman law into a comprehensive legal code brought about significant changes and improvements to the administration of justice. First and foremost, the codification of Roman law provided a standardised and accessible set of laws for legal professionals and citizens alike. This development greatly enhanced legal certainty and consistency throughout the republic, ensuring that individuals could readily familiarise themselves with their rights and obligations under the law. The codification would also contribute to greater transparency and fairness in legal proceedings, as judges and magistrates would have a clear framework to apply when adjudicating cases.

The availability of a comprehensive legal code helped facilitate the spread of Roman law beyond the city of Rome itself. The codification served as a reference point for legal scholars and practitioners across the Republic, enabling the consistent application of Roman law in different regions. This fostered a sense of unity and coherence in the legal system, reinforcing the Republic’s authority and promoted a shared understanding of justice. As the empire expanded, the Corpus Juris Civilis became an essential legal framework that could be applied across diverse regions and cultures. Its comprehensive and systematic approach to law served as a model for subsequent legal systems, influencing the development of jurisprudence not only within the Roman Empire but also in later civilizations.

The codification of Roman law is widely regarded as the crowning achievement of Julius Caesar's legacy, although he would not live to witness its full realisation. As one of the greatest statesmen and revered as the Father of Rome, Caesar's untimely death occurred in the middle of July, in the year 723 AUC. His passing marked a profound loss for the Republic and deprived him of the opportunity to witness the far-reaching impact of his legal reforms. His legacy as a visionary leader, military genius and legal reformer could be felt for a thousand years to come.

A new era of law and order emerged, heralding the dawn of the Pax Augusta

Last edited:
RIP Caesar, you achieved the things you set out to do and your work will live on.

Let's hope that the sucession of Octavian is a smooth one, as is his relationship with Ceesarion.