Imperator: Rome

So for me here is a basic idea of Bactrian Mission trees

The Furthest Satrap
This is the starting mission tree, about you being a satrap and preparing for your independence war against the Seleukids.
The New Kingdom
This would be about representing the conquests that they engaged in, giving missions to expand against the Parthians and seleukids.
Beyond the Indus
This mission tree would be focused on the conquests into India, can one replace the Mauryan or Shunga Empires as a new Indian empire.
The Riches of India
This would be a trade focused mission tree. Working to help buildup the famous silk road. This would also likely correspond with trade stuff in an upcoming trade rework.
An Indo-Greek Kingdom
This would be a domestic mission tree focused around syncretizing Greek and Indian culture together. There would be new deities, such as Herakles the defender of the Buddha. The end result would be a new culture coming about to reflect this cultural mixing.

thoughts on this rough outline of an idea for a bactrian mission tree? Also what sort of things should a Mauryan Mission tree do?
I like it. Need to think on the Mauryan mission tree, though.

That tree seems good to me, as someone who has played Bactria maybe a bit more than is healthy. I think it covers all the core beats and leads you in the direction of your achievements, which is generally a good thing. One thing I would do is rename "The Riches of India" to "The Riches of Bactria," so that it's a bit more generic and doesn't presuppose that you've moved into India first--after all, the Silk Road proper is to your northeast, quite a ways away from India.

As for Maurya, I would say (roughly speaking) one or two tree(s) focused on conquering India, and then another two or three trees based on consolidating and building up control of the country. At least one of these would probably be religious, with options to go for Hinduism, Buddhism, or Jainism as your primary religion, and another might be focused on building up your core areas economically or building trade with the west or something of that nature. It would benefit from changes to the trade system to make it easier (or possible) for Maurya to trade with areas around the Red Sea up to and including Egypt (or its controller) without needing to move its capital or get all of the diplomatic range boosts, as per historical links between that region and India. Again, this leads you in the direction of your big achievement.

That tree seems good to me, as someone who has played Bactria maybe a bit more than is healthy. I think it covers all the core beats and leads you in the direction of your achievements, which is generally a good thing. One thing I would do is rename "The Riches of India" to "The Riches of Bactria," so that it's a bit more generic and doesn't presuppose that you've moved into India first--after all, the Silk Road proper is to your northeast, quite a ways away from India.
Ah yea, that is true, maybe just something like the 'Riches of the silk road' or something.
As for Maurya, I would say (roughly speaking) one or two tree(s) focused on conquering India, and then another two or three trees based on consolidating and building up control of the country. At least one of these would probably be religious, with options to go for Hinduism, Buddhism, or Jainism as your primary religion, and another might be focused on building up your core areas economically or building trade with the west or something of that nature. It would benefit from changes to the trade system to make it easier (or possible) for Maurya to trade with areas around the Red Sea up to and including Egypt (or its controller) without needing to move its capital or get all of the diplomatic range boosts, as per historical links between that region and India. Again, this leads you in the direction of your big achievement.
I would love to have the Red Sea + Indian Ocean trade be a thing, and I think having some missions for the nations on this trade route would be cool.

One thing I want with an India update is to have the Ajivikas and Ajñanas sramana religions there; there should be a number of events about them. As they were all rather dynamic. I want to see the split between the Svetembara and Diagambara that began during Chandragupta's reign. I want to see the third Buddhist council and all the early buddhist schools. I want to see Hindu Philosophy(though not sure how this should be implemented), I want to see monastics, and possibly a what if greek monastics, and stuff for ascetics.

I want to see more of the rig-vedic deities and new deities between north and south. I want to see some indo-greek syncretic deities, be they Buddhist deities or hindu-hellenistic syncretic deities, does anyone know of some hindu-hellenic syncretic deities?

These are some of the things I want to see in an Indian Update :D

If nothing else I am happy that we got the game unlike East vs West (RIP) and that the game was not left to languish in the state of March of the Eagles before this happened and is now at least in a playable state. I hope the ancient era won't have to wait as long as Victoria players have for another installment (pain).

Last edited:
So a bit of self promotion, but I’m currently part of the team for a new community mod for Imperator Rome called Imperator Invictus. It’s aiming to add flavor and overhaul bits of the game, and basically be to Imperator Rome what HPM/HFM were to Vicky 2/what HIP and CK2+ were to CK2.

With Paradox temporarily pausing production of Imperator Rome for the rest of the year due to them having difficulties hiring during the pandemic and them needing all hands on deck for Vicky 3, it’s rather the perfect time to mod the game, since we don’t have to worry about Paradox updating the game affecting our work for another year.

jparker77

Banned
Just bought Imperator Rome and the various DLCs in the latest Paradox sale. I was originally going to buy the game when it came out a couple years ago, but after hearing about all the....teething problems, so to speak, I decided to wait until they had it more figured out before I spent my money on it.

First impressions? Even for a paradox game there’s a lot of buttons and screens. Without the helpful tool tips I would be completely and utterly lost. I decided to play my first game as Egypt because it was suggested as a good beginner nation, and so far everything seems to be going well— I was able to blackmail my way into getting the province of Syria from my northern neighbor.