Imperator: Rome

Discussion in 'Alternate History Books and Media' started by Avalon, May 19, 2018.

1. Avalon Well-Known Member

2. AvatarOfKhaine Eldar God of War

Beyond hyped. If I recall correctly, the map is labelled 450, and it appears that for whatever reason Paradox are sticking to AUC/AVC for dates just like the old EU Rome.

3. Avalon Well-Known Member

Which means 753-450 = 303 BC.

4. Time slip Snake Person

If Paradox can take some of what learned from CK2 and apply it to give more depth character/political aspect of the original EU:R this might be a case this might be a rare case where I don't wait for a game to go on sale to buy it.

5. GustavusAdolphus1 Well-Known Member

I audibly gasped when I logged into the Paradox forums today and saw this. Suffice to say, I'm very excited for this to be released! The only thing I may have preferred was if it was set slightly later - say, around the height and fall of the Roman Empire - but I'm sure that there'll be a mod released soon after to extend the timeline to that time period, in a similar vein to When the World Stopped Making Sense for CK2. I also find it somewhat weird that they decided to include India but not China, as I'm pretty sure some interesting things were happening in China around this time as well (though I'm not as well versed in Chinese history). Again, though, there'll likely be mods adding in the rest of Eurasia once the game's released.

6. Grey Wolf Writer, Poet, Publisher, Cat-sitter

Rome had direct contact with India, through seaborne trade, but not with China from anything I read, that mainly came by land through third parties

7. AvatarOfKhaine Eldar God of War

Can't wait to do a Celtic Greece run. I'm a massive Hellenist, but a Hellenic worshipping but Celtic creole people in modern day Greece to me would always be an interesting thing. I always like having alternate versions of Romanian's place in the Roman languages and a very Greek Celtic language would be interesting to me.

8. wilcoxchar The Craft Beer and Coffee Guy

If I remember the reasons for using it in EU: Rome right, one of the reasons is because the engine does not play happy with negative dates.

9. AvatarOfKhaine Eldar God of War

That is indeed the reason. I asked some of the forums way back when and that was the official line.

10. Nerdman3000 On the hunt for Great Caesar’s Ghost!

I'm sorry, but this just looks gorgeous!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hype is in the air!!! :love:

Seriously, I so excited! It's seems like it's going to be this beautiful love child of EUIV, CK2, and Vic2 set in Antiquity. So pumped! :extremelyhappy:

11. Gordius Well-Known Member

It will be Samnite start for me. I cannot wait to play it. Start date is 303 bc (450 AVC)

Apparently the map itself is on a globe from what the demo attendees were saying today.

[​IMG]

I did laugh at Johans announcement of the game.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  12. Theodoric Centrism is the new punk

Seems neat so far, really interested in the types of government available. Mechanically it looks a lot like a Vicky game, but with choice parts from their other lines, too.

13. Gordius Well-Known Member

Indeed. Johan is the lead designer on this new game and he was the lead designer for Vicky 2.

Someone divided up the regions seen in the map of Italy. So many regions...
    [​IMG]

Historyman 14 and Nerdman3000 like this.
  14. Neoteros Dux Mediolani

I'll be able to play this only when I'll get a better laptop, but it looks epic so far; why are the Germanic tribes not represented though?

Ameck16 and Nerdman3000 like this.
  15. Gordius Well-Known Member

Johan said at the demo the screenshot of the map they showed wasnt finished and they had actually added many of the Germanic tribes since then. Iberia wasnt finished either from those screenshots so it is still a work in progress

Nerdman3000 likes this.
  16. Neoteros Dux Mediolani

Well, I already know what civilization I will pick, anyway. :p

[​IMG]

Historyman 14 likes this.
  17. Kome Little Bulgar

Oh shit.

Here come dat Boii

DracoLazarus, Joesdd and Gladsome like this.
  18. KeeCoyote Well-Known Member

Who can you trust again? It is the Etrusticans :)

19. wilcoxchar The Craft Beer and Coffee Guy

Vascones Baskoiak batez ere!

20. Cambyses The Mad Slain by the optimates

Kometrios rides again.

DracoLazarus and Kome like this.