Talking about Napoleon's earlier death, is it possible Murat will stay king of Naples?
In OTL he managed to keep his position until 1815 after all.
Yup.

Can't believe I just found out about this bro. I have been waiting for this TL since you mentioned it in your Aerys fic.
Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying this timeline.

Honestly i think one of napoleon's biggest mistakes was crowning himself emperor. I know that the prologue says it brought moderates to his side, but as first consul for life he already was the enlightened despot that moderates had always wanted and because he wasn't royalty he still had (at least some) republican support.
Keep in mind that the tl is told in the perspective of a Bonapartist, or at least someone sympathetic to his ideals of a fusion between the liberalism of the Revolution, the Enlightenment, and monarchy. While Napoleon wasn't royalty, he nearly could have won and secured his dynasty in otl. Other contemporary European dynasties were founded on less solid foundations, plus for example the Swedish royal family is of the House of Bernadotte, and they weren't royalty. I'm not sure how stable a Republic with Napoleon leading on for life would have been. For many at the time, the idea of a Republic was kinda tarnished due to the incompetence of the Revolutionary governments preceding Napoleon's, and France for example had a high monarchist tradition, not to mention that the precedent was already set that anyone popular with the army can coup the government like Napoleon did.

I don't think it would have been possible at the time for Napoleon to become like a Washington of the French Republic since the contemporary US had a strong institutions with a general understanding of the architects of its political system and Constitution to set a good precedent for the nation. Revolutionary France didn't have this. Had someone like Laffayette perhaps had taken power to stabilize it, with Napoleon coming in later, its likely that France would have had a modicum of political stability. Though with the Execution of the King, this polarized French society with many monarchists in the countryside going into open revolt in favor of the monarchy. Had Napoleon not crowned himself Emperor and ruled as Consort for life, its possible that the monarchy might have been restored

Observers at the time also noted how the change brought back the old decadent court life that didn't work as well or as smoothly as the consulate.

Napoleon should have been more Augustus than Caesar, and maintained the Republican façade.
But unlike Rome, France had many active monarchists who were conservative/liberal in outlook. Many of these people flocked to Napoleon after his proclamation of the Empire. Though I feel like you're gonna like this timeline as Napoleon II will be Augustus for France like how Napoleon was Caesar.

Nice update will next chapter cover flight of Eaglet and why Austria not supported the Eaglet in first place since if I'm not wrong he the Austrian emperor granson to be Napoleon successor
Yeah. The next few chapters will focus on the Bourbon Restoration and the Eaglet's life in the gilded cage that Metternich had setup for him.

This will be fun!
I'm glad you're enjoying it, though as for my next set of update, I'll be focusing on updating my ASOIAF fics and my other Eastern Roman Timeline.

Low-key hoping Naples will end unifying Italy.
It would be quite ironic. Also it would be nice to see a TL featuring South Italy in an important position

Once again a high quality chapter! Very impatient for what's to come!
Thanks! I’m planning on covering the interwar period and Austria next.

Low-key hoping Naples will end unifying Italy.
It would be quite ironic. Also it would be nice to see a TL featuring South Italy in an important position
Oh I have big plans for Southern Italy. But a Murat trying to take over Italy will be kinda hard. Le Roi de Rome is still alive. Plus there’s the blood feud between both Houses that’s still unsettled.

Nice update and I hope Murat gets what coming to him. Also that pic of Napoleon's last stand with his guard is great.
Thanks. I got it from an Epic History video on YouTube in a video about the Battle of Leipzig. I highly recommend checking out their channel.

Yeah I saw that painting and new instantly that I should use it in my tl.

The Bonaparte’s will have their reckoning soon especially with the young Eaglet stuck in Austria in a gilded cage waiting for the chance to spread his wings.

Cool TL! I like your choice of images/maps.
Thanks!

Great update! You've given me a few ideas for my own timeline as well. Silver lining to this damn virus is that I get a little time to actually put pen to paper.

Keep up the great work!

The_Shrike

Banned
Awesome stuff!

If Napoleon I is Caesar and Napoleon II is Augustus I take it that the Eaglets reign will start at a fairly young age?

Great update! You've given me a few ideas for my own timeline as well. Silver lining to this damn virus is that I get a little time to actually put pen to paper.
What sort of timeline are you thinking of writing?

How would the lack of the Hundred Days affect France's domestic politics prior to the return of the Eaglet?
France after the Hundred Days saw the Allies occupy it and then force France to pay an expensive war indemnity that was fiscally taxing. I can imagine that the Ultraroyalists would feel more secure here and thus more emboldened. Though with Napoleon’s legacy as a martyr for France, the Bonapartists would be more active

Consul...
Whoops. Thanks for correcting that typo.

Awesome stuff!

If Napoleon I is Caesar and Napoleon II is Augustus I take it that the Eaglets reign will start at a fairly young age?
Yup. I basically plan on the Eaglet taking over in 1830 now instead of 1848. Plus his rule will be remarkably similar yet different to his father’s, as the young Eaglet hopes to avoid the mistakes of his father.

Wait, does it mean Murat is Brutus?
Yeah Murat is essentially hated by the Bonapartists now for betraying the Emperor. Plus Caroline Bonaparte historically abandoned her brother unlike her other siblings. Pauline Bonaparte for example gave her brother all her jewelry so he would have some funds to help him when he was forcibly exiled in otl. The Murats and Bonaparte’s are gonna have a long running blood feud that’s gonna be one of the dynamics in this timeline.

Did Bernadotte still betray Napoleon as well?
Bernadotte sides with the Coalition like in otl and helped design the battle plan for the War of the 6th Coalition.

A narrative timeline dealing with the survival of the Republic of Venice. POD is set in April 1797 and the Treaty of Campo Formio leaves Venice reduced but still alive. The story follows a single family as they navigate two centuries of European and world history. It is narrative so I'll be posting it in the Writer's Forum. I want a few more chapters "in the can" before I start posting them here.

The_Shrike

Banned

France after the Hundred Days saw the Allies occupy it and then force France to pay an expensive war indemnity that was fiscally taxing. I can imagine that the Ultraroyalists would feel more secure here and thus more emboldened. Though with Napoleon’s legacy as a martyr for France, the Bonapartists would be more active

Whoops. Thanks for correcting that typo.

Yup. I basically plan on the Eaglet taking over in 1830 now instead of 1848. Plus his rule will be remarkably similar yet different to his father’s, as the young Eaglet hopes to avoid the mistakes of his father.

Yeah Murat is essentially hated by the Bonapartists now for betraying the Emperor. Plus Caroline Bonaparte historically abandoned her brother unlike her other siblings. Pauline Bonaparte for example gave her brother all her jewelry so he would have some funds to help him when he was forcibly exiled in otl. The Murats and Bonaparte’s are gonna have a long running blood feud that’s gonna be one of the dynamics in this timeline.

Bernadotte sides with the Coalition like in otl and helped design the battle plan for the War of the 6th Coalition.

Well I cant wait to see how a second Napoleon will effect the geopolitics of the New World.

Another destabilizing strong man emerging in Europe will shake up and in all likelihood smash the remnants of the Old Order. I can see a probable grab for Africa being much less cordial, in so far as OTLs was cordial

Humor: The Bonaparte Family Reunion
II. The happy reunion of the Bonaparte and Murat families
1585172192834.png

(I don't know what came over me.)​