I'm Going to Disney World: An Open Collaborative Sports TL

In St Louis, we might have Jim Orthwein [1] own a football team be it AFL or NFL, or maybe Sid Salomon Jr and his son Sid III [2]?

[1] Owned the Patriots briefly in the mid 90's IOTL before selling them to Robert Kraft.

[2] Founders of the OTL Blues.

If Anheuser-Busch buys the Cardinals (football Cardinals) does it make sense for another owner to have them in the future? A-B seems pretty entrenched in St. Louis and they probably wouldn't go anywhere.

If Anheuser-Busch buys the Cardinals (football Cardinals) does it make sense for another owner to have them in the future? A-B seems pretty entrenched in St. Louis and they probably wouldn't go anywhere.

The two that I can think of are either Stan Kroenke or Tom Stillman (current owner of the Blues IOTL).

Other AFL/NFL owners....

Denver Gerald Phipps
New York David "Sonny" Werblin

Potential AFL/NFL expansion owners...
Rankin Smith (Atlanta)
Lloyd Nordstrom (Seattle)
John Mecom (New Orleans)
Ewing Kauffman (Kansas City if Lamar Hunt selects another town like San Antonio or some other place)
Hugh Culverhouse (Tampa Bay or Jacksonville)
Edgar Kaiser (Portland in the 70's?)
Dr Ted Diethrich (Phoenix)
Joe Robbie (Miami)

---City TBA---
Jack Kent Cooke
Charlie O Finley

Other AFL/NFL owners....

Denver Gerald Phipps
New York David "Sonny" Werblin

Potential AFL/NFL expansion owners...
Rankin Smith (Atlanta)
Lloyd Nordstrom (Seattle)
John Mecom (New Orleans)
Ewing Kauffman (Kansas City if Lamar Hunt selects another town like San Antonio or some other place)
Hugh Culverhouse (Tampa Bay or Jacksonville)
Edgar Kaiser (Portland in the 70's?)
Dr Ted Diethrich (Phoenix)
Joe Robbie (Miami)

---City TBA---
Jack Kent Cooke
Charlie O Finley

Also good to have in the back pocket for if the WFL makes a run at this - I'm picturing a more successful (and earlier) go at the WFL with several franchises making the leap.

I apologize for jumping ahead.

1961: The Continental League have their first full season with the following teams: the Denver Bears, the New Orleans Pelicans, the Indianapolis Clowns, the New York Atlantics, and the Toronto Maple Leafs. Before the 1962 season starts the Continental League will add the Atlanta Hornets, Buffalo Bisons, and the Dallas Rangers.

I apologize for jumping ahead.

1961: The Continental League have their first full season with the following teams: the Denver Bears, the New Orleans Pelicans, the Indianapolis Clowns, the New York Atlantics, and the Toronto Maple Leafs. Before the 1962 season starts the Continental League will add the Atlanta Hornets, Buffalo Bisons, and the Dallas Rangers.

A quick reminder that the Dodgers are staying in Brooklyn and the Giants went to Minnesota in this thread, so I'm not sure if the Continental League would still be proposed. Maybe NYC could support 3 baseball teams unless it was ASB.

A quick reminder that the Dodgers are staying in Brooklyn and the Giants went to Minnesota in this thread, so I'm not sure if the Continental League would still be proposed. Maybe NYC could support 3 baseball teams unless it was ASB.
I thought that might be the case, was there a Rocky Mountain League, something to fill in the gap between the Midwest and the West Coast?

The two that I can think of are either Stan Kroenke or Tom Stillman (current owner of the Blues IOTL).

Stillman may also work as a Spirits of St. Louis owner as well. I'd be concerned about Kroenke if the goal is to keep the football Cardinals in St. Louis, since he definitely will get cold feet about doing so in any TL.

Winter 1959: American League owners vote 8-0 to begin talks with the PCL about a merger with the AL. Shortly after, National League owners cast a similar vote and talks with the PCL begin.

Spring 1959: The Kansas City Athletics begin their tenure in KC with a 4-0 loss to the Chicago White Sox. Meanwhile, the Brooklyn Dodgers win their season opener in Minnesota 7-2.

The Mad Men formalize the American Football League, to begin play in 1960. Teams will play in Boston, New York, Buffalo, Baltimore, the Twin Cities, Kansas City, Denver and Los Angeles.

Spring 1959
The Houston Oilers interview Western Illinois coach Lou Saban, USC Trojans offensive line coach Al Davis, University of Miami assistant Hank Stram, Rams assistant George Allen and Giants assistants Vince Lombardi and Tom Landry for the head coaching job. The Green Bay Packers are also in the market for a new coach.

Summer 1959
On the Athletics' first eastern road trip of the season, Philadelphians travel to the A's road games at Fenway Park and Yankee Stadium to heckle their old team. The Red Sox were forced to forfeit the second game of a day/night doubleheader when the Philly fans threw projectiles on to the Fenway playing surface.

Pumpsie Green makes his debut with the Red Sox, the last MLB team to racially integrate.

Third year infielder Brooks Robinson earns starting job at third base for the Houston Colt 45's. However the 45's management may be looking towards a name change to energize the club in time for the opening of their domed stadium in 1961.

National Bohemian petitions baseball commissioner Ford Frick for an expansion franchise for Baltimore.

Can we get a CFL, NFL, and AFL merger in the 1960s? The North American Football League? Some of us have looked at this in the past and realistically this has to happen NLT the 1960s as the NFL's financial resources become too big.

Can we get a CFL, NFL, and AFL merger in the 1960s? The North American Football League? Some of us have looked at this in the past and realistically this has to happen NLT the 1960s as the NFL's financial resources become too big.

Welcome aboard! Always nice to have different voices on these collaborative threads.

I hope there's a feasible way of bringing those three leagues together, but first I'm gonna need...

- An owner for the alt Cincinnati Bengals if Paul Brown stays in Cleveland.

- A way to still have the WFL, USFL and World League exist in a post NFL-AFL-CFL merger world.

- A coach for the alt Houston Oilers before the '59 season to help shed the image of the former Chicago Cards.

- A second team to join the St Louis football Cards (to be run by AB) as the newest NFL teams in the early sixties. Either Cincinnati, Miami, New Orleans or maybe Portland if the Delta Dome is greenlit.

For the other sports I'm still looking to decide...

The fate of the original Washington Senators, whether Griffith sells the team to a DC, MD or VA buyer, or moves them elsewhere.

Whether the alt Baltimore Orioles should come to existence in expansion or relocation.

Whether to change the Houston Colt 45's to the Astros, Mavericks, or Comets.

The future of the Warriors, Nationals, Royals and Lakers in the NBA.

An earlier POD for NHL expansion, or a way to merge with the WHA much sooner and have more teams.

A way to make the ABA stronger to send more teams to the NBA in its merger.

A more stable NASL.

An owner for the alt Cincinnati Bengals if Paul Brown stays in Cleveland.

Easy, let Cincinnati have Art Modell (yes I am from Cleveland).

An owner for the alt Cincinnati Bengals if Paul Brown stays in Cleveland.

Easy, let Cincinnati have Art Modell (yes I am from Cleveland).

So should Dave Jones hold on to the team for a little bit longer, or could somebody else take the team off his hands at the same timeframe Modell did? The few I could think of are...

- George Steinbrenner (would he be too young by '61?)
- Saul Silberman
- Homer Marshman
- Ellis Ryan
- Larry Dolan
- Dick Jacobs

Fall 1959: Hank Stram debuts as head coach of the Houston Oilers with a loss to the Green Bay Packers and head coach Al Davis. The Dallas Cowboys make the NFL Championship again and face the New York Giants.

The Brooklyn Dodgers win the World Series in six games over the Chicago White Sox. They face the PCL champion San Francisco Seals and defeat them in six.

The NFL announces that the revival of the Chicago Cardinals will start in 1960 under the ownership of Blackhawks team president Bill Tobin. The NFL is also seeking an owner for the 14th franchise; the league makes an announcement that it will not pursue any member of the Mad Men as a possible owner.