I'm Going to Disney World: An Open Collaborative Sports TL

May 25, 1985: The First Ever Winston All-Star Race Took Place which aired on USA Network on May 25, 1985 from Charlotte Motor Speedway as 12 Cars battle it out on a 1.5 mile course, Darrell Waltrip in the #11 Budweiser Chevrolet won the Race Terry Labonte and Harry Gant round out the Top 3, However During the Race USA Network aired for a Promo for a New Show debuting later this summer called "Dance Party USA" hosted by Mike Rossi with Lillian Narodowski co-hosting.

May 26, 1985: The Coca-Cola World 600 Take Place however Bill Elliott Won the Pole as he will probably going to Score $1,000,000 if he wins that night's race however he led 81 laps but finished 18th costing his chance at winning the $1,000,000 Prize but in the end The Night belonged to Darrell Waltrip in which he led 91 laps to win the 1985 World 600 as the event aired on USA Network with Mike Joy, Ned Jarrett and Lillian Narodowski (from soon to be debuted Dance Party USA).

Rhythm Radio #1 Song That Week on Memorial Day Weekend: "Axel F" by Harold Faltermeyer (from the movie "Beverly Hills Cop")
And What Happened to Tim Richmond: He is the first person to run the Indy-Charlotte Double, Richmond who started his professional driving career in Indy Cars in 1980, made a comeback in 1985 to race in the Indianapolis 500 to run the Indy Charlotte Double, Richmond finished 11th in that event in which Danny Sullivan won the 1985 Indianapolis 500 thanks to a spin and win accident that knocked Mario Andretti's Chances from Winning the Indianapolis 500.

College Sports 1984-85

Football

Going into the bowls, BYU is the only undefeated team at 12-0. Washington and South Carolina are the #2 and #3 teams at 10-1 after tough losses to USC and Navy, respectively.

Important Bowls

Holiday: BYU 24, Michigan 17
Orange: Washington 28, Oklahoma 17
Gator: Okla. State 21, So. Carolina 14
Cotton: Boston College 45, Houston 28
Rose: USC 20, Ohio St. 17
Sugar: Nebraska 28, LSU 10
Fiesta: UCLA 39, The U 37

After all of this mess, BYU is crowned #1, with Washington #2, and Nebraska #3.

In other news, Howard Schnellenberger, the patron saint of lost causes, has decided to take over at Kansas State, a historically bad program.

Top 1985 draft prospects

QB: Randall Cunningham (UNLV), Doug Flutie (BC), Steve Calabria (Columbia), Frank Reich (Maryland), Steve Bono (UCLA). Also, Miami's Bernie Kosar will enter the supp draft.
HB: Ethan Horton (No. Carolina), George Adams (Kentucky), Greg Allen (Fla. St)
WR: Eddie Brown (The U), Al Toon (Wiscy), Jerry Rice (Ms. Valley St), Vance Johnson (Arizona), Jessie Hester (FSU)
TE: Johnathan Hayes (Iowa), Mark Bavaro (Notre Dame), Keli McGregor (Colorado St), Jay Novacek (Wyoming)
OL: Bill Fralic (Pitt), Lomas Brown (Florida), Ken Ruettgers (USC), Kevin Allen (Indiana), Jim Lachey (Ohio St)
DL: Bruce Smith (Virginia Tech), Ray Childress (Texas A&M), Ron Holmes (Washington), Kevin Brooks, Michigan, William Perry (Clemson)
LB: Chris Doleman (Pitt), Duane Bickett (USC), Freddie Joe Nunn (Ole Miss), Alvin Toles
DB: Richard Johnson (Wisconsin), Derrick Burroughs (Memphis St), Jerry Gray (Texas),

Basketball

#1 seeds for the big dance

East: Georgetown
West: St. Johns
Southeast: Michigan
Midwest: Oklahoma

Final Four teams

East: Georgetown (they beat Georgia Tech 60-54)
West: St. Johns (they beat N.C. State 69-60)

Southeast: Villanova (they beat No. Carolina 56-44)
Midwest: Memphis St. (they beat Oklahoma 63-61)

The tourney is still 48 teams in this world, but Villanova makes it because the conference they play in is weaker than in OTL. Seton Hall, Providence, U-Conn, and U-Mass are teams of the future, but they aren't that good in 1985. Also, Pitt, BC, and the Cuse are in a different league.

Final Four

Game 1: Villanova 52, Memphis St. 45
Game 2: Georgetown 77, St. Johns 59

National Title: Villanova pulls out the shocker over G-Town, 66-64.

For the draft: Patrick Ewing, Wayman Tisdale, Karl Malone, Benoit Benjamin, Detlef Schrempf, and Keith Lee will be some of the main stars that the NBA will draft into their league in June.

Back to the Future.
Spring 1985: The Seattle Totems, long on the brink of mediocrity, finish first in the Wales Premier conference and advance to the Stanley Cup Final by defeating the Montreal Canadiens. The Totems are bolstered by a trade that sends an injured Steve Yzerman from Baltimore to the Totems, where he returns in time for the playoffs. The Totems defeat the Edmonton Oilers for the Stanley Cup as Wayne Gretzky fails to score in five of the six games of the Series. After the season, the Red Wings, who narrowly avoid relegation by defeating the Maple Leafs in a relegation series, inquire about trading for Yzerman.

Summer 1985: More details emerge about the planned European Football League, which is to be located entirely within European nations outside the Soviet bloc. Disappointed cities such as Prague and Warsaw press Soviet leadership to work with the WFL to create a Soviet bloc league in order to compete with the West and fellow Communist nation China.

Pyongyang petitions for a PAFL franchise and is swiftly dismissed. Havana petitions MLB for an MLB franchise and is told MLB is not looking to expand.

The WFL's tie-in with the blockbuster movie Back to the Future sees Michael J. Fox travel back in time wearing a Vulcans jacket, which his father, in the past, interprets as a gang of space aliens. His mother, however, becomes infatuated with a young man named Phil Simms after an autographed football card in Fox's pocket, and "Simms" teaches a band member's son to throw a football; that young man was none other than Joe Gilliam Jr., future Gold Cup champion.

The U.S. National team qualifies for the 1986 soccer World Cup with flying colors.

@Colonel Zoidberg

I guess Boston wasn't a good fit for the Great One. Seattle might want to hang on to Yzerman, unless they want to wait eight years to get Paul Kariya.

I'll keep those WFL references in mind when I do Back to the Future in the American Magic thread.

Have we decided what the NBA teams will be called?

Moving ahead with the Pro Football Draft of 1985...

Buffalo Bills select Bruce Smith, Frank Reich and Andre Reed
Houston Oilers select Ray Childress
San Francisco 49ers select Jerry Rice
St Louis Cardinals select Jay Novacek
Cleveland Browns select Bernie Kosar
Indianapolis Racers select Duane Bickett
Atlanta Falcons select Bill Fralic
Washington Redskins select Jim Lachey

Doug Flutie selected by New England (NAFL) and Barcelona (WFL)
Lomas Brown selected by Detroit (NFL) and Hollywood (WFL)
William Perry selected by Chicago (NFL) and London (WFL)
Mark Bavaro selected by Tampa Bay (NFL) and Amsterdam (WFL)
Eddie Brown selected by Cincinnati (NFL) and Hollywood (WFL)
Steve Bono selected by Kitchener (NAFL) and Jacksonville (WFL)
Vance Johnson selected by NY Knights (NAFL) and Phoenix (WFL)
Randall Cunningham selected by Philadelphia (NFL) and London (WFL)
Steve Calabria selected by NY Giants (NFL) and Omaha (WFL)
Al Toon selected by Green Bay (NFL) and NY Stars (WFL)
Ethan Horton selected by Denver (NAFL) and Frankfurt (WFL)
Jessie Hester selected by LA Rams (NFL) and Guadalajara (WFL)
George Adams selected by Carolina (NFL) and Norfolk (WFL)
Ron Holmes selected by Indianapolis (NFL) and San Jose (WFL)
Jonathan Hayes selected by Seattle (NFL) and Salt Lake (WFL)
Kevin Greene selected by LA Rams (NFL) and Birmingham (WFL)
Kevin Brooks selected by Pittsburgh (NFL) and Mexico City (WFL)
Alvin Toles selected by Portland (NFL) and Salt Lake (WFL)
Richard Johnson selected by Minnesota (NAFL) and San Jose (WFL)
Ken Ruettgers selected by San Diego (NAFL) and Hollywood (WFL)
Derrick Burroughs selected by Atlanta (NFL) and Hawaiians (WFL)
Steve Tasker selected by Houston (NFL) and Berlin (WFL)

If I'm missing anybody please let me know.

@Colonel Zoidberg

I guess Boston wasn't a good fit for the Great One. Seattle might want to hang on to Yzerman, unless they want to wait eight years to get Paul Kariya.

I didn't realize he went to the Bruins, though maybe some of the other pieces went to Edmonton and they weren't enough to push them over the top.

The Totems keeping Yzerman would be interesting, though the homer in me was floating the idea of Yzerman in a Winged Wheel (to give you some idea, I have a Winged Wheel/octopus/Stanley Cup piece of artwork on my left forearm; I try not to let my fandom cloud my writing too terribly much but it's nigh impossible when I'm that much of a fan.) Maybe it ends up being a trade that never materializes that works out OK for both sides.

@Colonel Zoidberg

Fall '84

I'm sure somewhere on Park Avenue, Pete Rozelle is crying right now, as the thought of the WFL surpassing the NFL as a global moneymaking machine sinks in. :)

Yeah, this is pretty interesting that the stick-in-the-mud NFL gets blown past by innovators and can't choke out the market as it did IOTL. Rozelle is just getting a piece of the pie rather than all of it, especially if the WFL is crazy enough to expand into the Soviet Union.

I'm thinking of a grand championship of all the leagues as a next level of global unity, with the NFL being just a player in that.

Well, Since I Started a New Open Collaborative TL on my own, I will continue forward into 1985 and beyond.

Summer 1985: The 4th annual Wine Country 300 took place at Sonoma Raceway as The Bandit Harry Gant and his #33 Skoal Bandit Chevrolet won that race over Dale Earnhardt in the #3 Wrangler Chevrolet, Tim Richmond, Kyle Petty and Terry Labonte round out the Top 5.

@OldNavy1988 on your decisions on NBA Teams

Summer 1985: The 4 New Names for the NBA Franchises are the Dallas Mavericks, the Miami Heat, The Phoenix Cobras and the Portland Trailblazers.

#1 Hits on the Rhythm Radio National Playlists in Summer '85 prior to Labor Day

June 8-22: "Everything She Wants" by Wham
June 29-July 6: "Sussudio" by Phil Collins
July 13-July 20: "Voices Carry" by 'Til Tuesday
July 27-August 17: "Would I Like To You" by The Carlsbad Lancerettes
August 24-August 31: "The Power of Love" by Huey Lewis & The News (from the Back to the Future Soundtrack)

September 1, 1985: Bill Elliott won the Pole for the 1985 Southern 500 at Darlington Raceway in Darlington, SC and he went on to win the race and scored the Million Dollar Bonus for completing the Winston Million, Cale Yarborough (in the Old Milwaukee Pontiac) finished 2nd followed by Neil Bonnett, Geoff Bodine and Ricky Rudd rounding out the Top 5 when it aired on ESPN anchored by Larry Nuber and Jack Arute.

bill-elliott-and-darlington.jpg

Fall 1985: The New Orleans Saints are trying to duplicate what the Sacramento Condors did after winning the Gold Cup at Home but they lost the first 2 games in September but went on to win the Last 2 Games including a 20-17 win over the defending Gold Cup Champion Sacramento Condors led by QB Fred Besana, despite Saints K Morten Andersen scored the Game Winning Field Goal. before time expired.

However in NASCAR: The 2nd Chase for the Championship has been decided for 1985 as Million Dollar Bill Elliott has dominated the Chase For the Championship to secure his 1985 Winston Cup Title following a 3rd place finish at Golden State Speedway in the Los Angeles Times 500.

Before we move ahead, let's take timeout to rock out to a few sports themes from this time period...

ABC's theme for OTL Monday Night Football from the mid to late 80's, used ITTL for their WFL games between 1983 and 87...

ESPN's theme for their USFL games in 1983 and '84 IOTL is ITTL the theme for their primetime WFL telecasts...

CBS's NBA Theme from Fall 1983- Spring '88 IOTL, used by CBS for the NBA of TTL...

November 1985: On the final possession of the Broncos-Condors game in Denver, The Condors conclude their 9 play drive which ended in a 19 year field goal attempt Before holder Matt Cavanaugh received the snap from center, a snowball thrown from the stands landed in front of him. Distracted, he mishandled the football and was unable to hold it for kicker Novo Bojovic. In desperation he picked up the ball and attempted a forward pass, but there were no receivers downfield and it fell incomplete. No penalties or palpably unfair acts were called, and the Broncos took over on downs. They went on to win 17–16, making the failed field goal a pivotal factor.

December 1985: During winter meetings, Major League Baseball has announced that starting in 1986, The winner of World Series will challenge the Japan Series winner in the Best of 7 Transcontinental Series to determine a true World Champion in Baseball.

1985 World Series: Kansas City Royals beat the St Louis Cardinals in seven games of what was nicknamed the Show-Me Series. All seven broadcast in prime time on ABC.

In basketball, the expansion Mavericks, Cobras, Heat and Trail Blazers stocked their rosters with draft busts and aging free agents in what was an extremely ungenerous expansion draft. The college draft however, may set the tone for the futures of these franchises.

At number one overall, the Dallas Mavericks took Patrick Ewing, the highly coveted center from Georgetown. With the second pick, the Miami Heat selected Charles Oakley. The Phoenix Cobras took Chris Mullin with the third pick and at number four, the Portland Trail Blazers took Joe Dumars. The other selections from the 1985 draft: Detlef Schrempf selected by the Seattle Supersonics, AC Green selected by the Detroit Pistons, Sam Mitchell selected by the LA Barracudas, Karl Malone selected by the New Orleans Jazz, Terry Porter selected by the Spirits of St Louis, Xavier McDaniel selected by the Kentucky Colonels, Wayman Tisdale selected by the Indiana Pacers, Benoit Benjamin selected by the NY Nets, Spud Webb selected by the Atlanta Hawks, Terry Catledge selected by the Minnesota Lakers and Manute Bol selected by the Denver Nuggets.

Last edited:
Winter 1986: The 1986 National Choir Drill Championships moved to a new home in Florida called Cypress Gardens which is famous for it's water ski shows, UCDA hosted that event as ESPN aired the telecast on tape delay hosted by Jeff Webb and Kelly Minton (who worked at WLKY in Louisville, KY as a News Anchor), The High Kick Division was won by Marion High School (of Marion, IL) with Prince's "Let's Go Crazy" being performed by Melissa Noel and Senna Lembert, However Pom was won by Horn Lake High School (in Mississippi) with Kristie Sharpe on Lead Vocals and in Jazz it was won by the Lancerettes of Carlsbad High School in Carlsbad, CA with "Tender Love" (OTL Force MD's Song) as it's song being sung by Captain Tonya Cabibi.

In the 1986 NASCAR Season: It Opened at Riverside for the Running of the Winston Western 500 as Joe Ruttman drove his #26 Quaker State Buick for King Racing owned by Kenny Bernstein to win the Opener, Terry Labonte, Darrell Waltrip, Tim Richmond and Glen Steurer round out the Top 5.

Spring 1986: The Kansas City Royals start their reign as the Kings of Baseball as World Series Champions of 1985 in hopes of keeping the throne in hopes being Crowned as Champions of the 1986 World Series with George Brett on 3B, The Royals won 22 games in the First 2 Months of the Baseball Season however they led the AL West.

Meanwhile in the Rhythm Radio Charts: Before Anna Soderberg did in 2016 with Eden Prairie High School with "Tender Love", The Carlsbad Lancerettes with Tonya Cabibi did it as the Song "Tender Love" made it to #1 on the Rhythm Radio Charts.

RHYTHM RADIO TOP 10 CHARTS FROM MAY 3, 1986 (Despite the Royals are first the AL West after the First Month of MLB Season)

(Note: Choir Drill Lead Vocalist in Parenthesis)

1. Carlsbad Lancerettes (Tonya Cabibi) - Tender Love
2. Prince & The Revolution - Kiss
3. Janet Jackson - What Have You Done for Me Lately
4. Nu Shooz - I Can't Wait
5. Janet Jackson - The Greatest Love of All
6. El Rancho Song & Dance (Raquel Arismendez) - If You Leave (OTL Song by OMD)
7. Alhambra Moorettes (Roxanne Lozano w/ Maiquel Suarez) - Take Me Home (OTL Song by Phil Collins)
8. Miami Sound Machine - Bad Boy
9. Madonna - Live To Tell
10. Redondo Union Marinerettes (Darlynn Ernst) - Your Love (OTL Song by The Outfield)

241t5hw.jpg

Darlynn Ernst of the Redondo Union Marinerettes who had a Big Hit on the Rhythm Radio Charts with her song "Your Love" went on to Win the Miss Choir Drill USA Title by Hollywood Celebrity, George Clooney in 1986, However Marinerettes made it to #1 in the Rhythm Radio Charts at the Start of the 1986 MLB Season.

Last edited:
Meanwhile in NASCAR

May 4, 1986: Trying to Follow the What Happened to Bill Elliott in which he won the Winston Million Last Year goes to Geoff Bodine he won the Daytona 500 but in Talladega, Bodine Started Third however he led 79 of the 188 Laps to win the 2nd Leg of the Winston Million at Talladega Super Speedway, Trevor Boys, Bobby Hillin Jr., Dale Earnhardt and Phil Parsons round out the Top 5.

However The Race is most notable for the fact that a drunken fan has stole the pace car prior to the start of the race and drove a lap around the track. Local Sheriff's Deputies and Track Workers quickly set up a Road Block at the exit of Turn 4. when the fan stopped the Pontiac Firebird, the sheriffs opened the door, pulled the driver out and Detain Him.

Then on May 11, 1986: The Second Annual Race of Champions, The Winston is held in Atlanta International Raceway on May 11 as 1985 Winston Cup Champion Bill Elliott won the All Star Race with Dale Earnhardt, Darrell Waltrip, Harry Gant and Cale Yarborough round out the Top 5 following The Winston, A Race for Non-Winners the Atlanta Invitational is added as Benny Parsons won that event in which he scored his final win in a NASCAR Sanctioned Race at the Track.

@OldNavy1988 on your last post, here's my answers.

1985 World Bowl: Mexico City Aztecs 31, Chicago Blitz 27

1986 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers:

Pot 1: Mexico, Italy, Germany, Poland, USA, Brazil
Pot 2: England, Soviet Union, Argentina, Spain, Paraguay, France
Pot 3: Algeria, Canada, Denmark, Iraq, Morocco, South Korea
Pot 4: Belgium, Bulgaria, Northern Ireland, Portugal, Urugray, Scotland

US TV Right: ABC will air the Broadcasts in English while Spanish Broadcasts will air on Spanish International Network (will renamed into Univision next year)

Summer 1986: The US national team is grouped with Morocco, Portugal and the USSR. After tying Portugal 1-1 and Morocco 2-2, Tram USA faces down with the mighty Soviets, who lead the group. The Americans come back from a 2-0 halftime deficit to shock the soccer world and defeat the Soviets 3-2 in the game called the Miracle on Grass and finish second in the group, advancing to the Round of 16. The Yanks aren't done, though, as they dust off Italy 2-0 and face down with the vaunted Brazilian team in the quarterfinals. The Americans go to extra time and defeat Brazil 1-0 but fall to West Germany 3-2 in the semis. Meanwhile, the Russians upset Argentina 2-1 in the Round of 16 and advance to the semis before falling to the French 2-1. West Germany wins the World Cup 3-2 over France; the USA wins the third-place game over the USSR 1-0.

The WFL receives over 20 bids for EFL teams; Edinburgh, Dublin, Cardiff, Paris, Madrid, Zurich, Florence, Naples, Turin, Munich, Oslo, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Athens, and Istanbul put in bids. Meanwhile, the push for an Eastern bloc league grows stronger.