I'm Going to Disney World: An Open Collaborative Sports TL

Fall 1957: The Chicago Cardinals bankrupt, a desperate Bidwill family agrees to sell the Cardinals in their entirety to Houston oil man Bud Adams, who announces that 1957 will be the Cardinals' last year in Chicago and the team will move to Houston and not keep the name Cardinals.

The New York Giants play their final game at the Polo Grounds, finishing a subpar season, and will play the 1958 season in Minneapolis, ending a longtime crosstown rivalry with the Dodgers. The Milwaukee Braves win the World Series, becoming the first franchise to win the Series in two different cities.

Fall 1957
San Francisco Seals win the PCL pennant.

Philadelphians break into tears as Charlie O Finley purchases the Athletics from the sons of Connie Mack. Almost immediately, Finley begins a search for a city to move the A's.

Fall 1957: The Chicago Cardinals bankrupt, a desperate Bidwill family agrees to sell the Cardinals in their entirety to Houston oil man Bud Adams, who announces that 1957 will be the Cardinals' last year in Chicago and the team will move to Houston and not keep the name Cardinals.

The New York Giants play their final game at the Polo Grounds, finishing a subpar season, and will play the 1958 season in Minneapolis, ending a longtime crosstown rivalry with the Dodgers. The Milwaukee Braves win the World Series, becoming the first franchise to win the Series in two different cities.
well that is canon compilant as a new cardinals team can goes as expansion or afl to St Louis.

Thanks @OldNavy1988 for keeping the dodgers in brooklyn, so we could get the MLB-PCL Merger that failed?

Will they keep their history, or will they be an "expansion" team like the Ravens were?

1957 NFL Playoffs: The 49ers are able to hold on in their one-game West playoff with Detroit after Hugh McIlhenny makes a long run to seal the deal. Then, in the NFL Title Game, the 49ers become champs for the first time (and are the second AAFC team to win it) after getting some revenge on the Browns for their losses in the 40's, 35-17. McIlhenny has two TD runs, and R.C. Owens catches two TD's, one on a halfback option from McIlhenny.

Will they keep their history, or will they be an "expansion" team like the Ravens were?

They could be "expansion," if they end up being renamed the Oilers.
Who would own the team? the bidwell again? if yeah they would try to say as a 'spin off' of chicago cardinals, specially as houston team is renamed, if owned locally would be a spun off of the baseball cardinals

Who would own the team? the bidwell again? if yeah they would try to say as a 'spin off' of chicago cardinals, specially as houston team is renamed, if owned locally would be a spun off of the baseball cardinals

No, Bud Adams would own them.

March, 1958: PF Maurice Stokes of the Royals avoids hitting his head on the court, but he sprains his wrist, and misses some of Cincinnati's opening round playoff series against the Pistons.

I'm talking a revived cardinal team in St Louis, that is a plot point ITTL.

Oh, OK. If they sell the Cards to Bud Adams, maybe it's with the understanding that they get an expansion team by 1961 (along with one other city like Minnesota or Boston).

If they sell the Cards to Bud Adams, maybe it's with the understanding that they get an expansion team by 1961 (along with one other city like Minnesota or Boston).

From what I understand, there are a number of South Side diehards who never accepted the Bears as their own, the same as they wouldn't accept the Cubs if the White Sox left (I went to a Sox game at Comiskey Park and spoke with Sox fans who despise the Cubs, and I'm sure that Obama ruffled more than a few South Side feathers when he said he didn't hate the Cubs.)

The idea is similar to how the Browns were revived - different owner, same team name and history, the Houston franchise (which is almost certainly called the Oilers) treated as a new franchise a la the Ravens.

Actually I could make this work - the expansion Chicago Cardinals move to St. Louis before being inaugurated, perhaps with the AFL or WFL setting up shop on the South Side. He said the Cardinals move to St. Louis, but we can be creative as to how it happens.

I'm sure there's a plausible way. All we need is the right owner to bring football to St Louis.

I'm sure there's a plausible way. All we need is the right owner to bring football to St Louis.

Anheuser-Busch? Beats the hell out of the Bidwills, at least as far as the bow tie goes. I'm thinking Chicago gets the team, there's a problem with the ownership group, and A-B buys the team AND the name.

More easy would be just A-B Buy it directly and leave Bud Adams be part of the 'silly club' as otl.

That would be easier, sure, but this would have an additional butterfly in preserving the idea of football on the south side of Chicago - probably as an AFL team. And I do like my butterflies. I mean, we've already seen the Cardinals in St. Louis under the Bidwills, the Oilers as part of the AFL, and the death of the NFL on the south side; why not go for something different?

Winter 1958: The San Francisco Seals dominate a seven-game exhibition with the Milwaukee Braves, winning six of seven and out scoring the Braves 33-10. National League owners agree that, if the NL pennant winner wins the World Series, they will play a seven-game series against the PCL winner immediately following the 1958 season.

Last edited: