Illustration Tutorials and Advice Superthread

I use Pixlr, which is a free website. It's not great for complicated maps but it's perfectly compatible with Worlda. It's also pretty simple, just use the one pixel paint brush to draw borders. If you do plan to use this and need help just ask me. :)

would you still be able to provide an easy how to guide - I want to create very simple map - western Europe with sort of actual borders and maybe to be able to add 'nato' style army symbols

any suggestions for a newbie map maker gratefully appreciated - the main effort will be on the AH narrative rather than the maps :)

would you still be able to provide an easy how to guide - I want to create very simple map - western Europe with sort of actual borders and maybe to be able to add 'nato' style army symbols

any suggestions for a newbie map maker gratefully appreciated - the main effort will be on the AH narrative rather than the maps :)
Sure! I still use the old Pixlr Editor software, but if you’re using a WorldA map you’ll have to use a 1x1 square pixel for your borders and you can download already existing WorldA maps as layers to trace over for OTL and realistic borders.

How would you recommend showing nominal control on a Q-BAM? Just a border in the color of the country or a slightly lighter outline of the region inside it as well or something else entirely?

Hey y’all!
I’m just curious as to what software is available on iPads that is could use to make Wik—worthy maps in a variety of projections and whatnot. Bonus points for being user-friendly. I’ve already tried GIMP and a few others, found them too unwieldy and frustrating to use.

Thanks!

How are Puppet states now depicted in maps? take for example these puppet states during WW2: Manchukuo, Mengjiang, and Mongolian People's Republic, which is the correct way to depict them, the first, or second?

I personally prefer the first one because it makes it less confusing to discern different countries.
ManchukuoExamples.png

How are Puppet states now depicted in maps? take for example these puppet states during WW2: Manchukuo, Mengjiang, and Mongolian People's Republic, which is the correct way to depict them, the first, or second?

I personally prefer the first one because it makes it less confusing to discern different countries.
,View attachment 557611

The first version is better.
The second version is rather uncommon today.

Here is a tutorial from Crazy Boris, and his THICC 2.2 color scheme (one of the best color schemes used today)

thicc22tutorial.png

,View attachment 557611
Personally, I'd use 1. for less controlled puppets, and 2. for more heavily controlled puppets.

thanks - anyone got a good site to get 'nato style' symbols - you know these ones (picture from http://niehorster.org/000_admin/009_symbols.html) View attachment 557623
NATO Joint Military Symbology is listed in APP-6, now up to version D.
The source document is here: http://nso.nato.int/nso/zPublic/ap/PROM/APP-6 EDD V1 E.pdf
You can find large versions of the symbols here: https://spatialillusions.com/milsymbol/docs/milsymbol-APP6d.html
Version A (from a few years previously, but most of the symbols are identical or very similar), is available as a font here: http://www.mapsymbs.com/app-6a.html

Any Mac users here? I've been taking screenshots of a wikibox I recently finished but after editing them together in Photoshop (too tall to fit into one screenshot) the finished product is either too large or too low quality. Any help will be appreciated.

Edit: Another question: Is the photo size limit here 500 kb? All the photos I've uploaded or tried to upload are either too blurry or too large to add.

Last edited:
The first version is better.
The second version is rather uncommon today.

Here is a tutorial from Crazy Boris, and his THICC 2.2 color scheme (one of the best color schemes used today)

View attachment 557639

This is a great guide, but as a rule of thumb dont ever, ever use checkerboards to fill polygons. Hatching, and sometimes dots, are generally okay but you want to keep your fills as unobtrusive as possible. A good guide is to try every other way of distinguishing that polygon first, and then use hatching.

I used Illustrator for a couple of months at school, but I just got it on my home computer today and I'm looking for help (specifically with text, centering objects relative to other objects, and... actually pretty much anything related to the centers of paths, objects, etc.) . Is anyone here free to talk in DMs or on Discord?