Illustration Tutorials and Advice Superthread

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Krall, Jun 18, 2013.

1. TheTreasonOfImages New Member

How i create my own custom made election maps? Is there a guide or something out there?

2. TheKutKu Well-Known Member

So uh, i have a few questions.

1) Is there a website where you can find greyscale heightmaps (like this one: [​IMG] ) but for specific locations, and/or more importantly, not in an equirectangular projection? Even if it's a non equirectangular world map it's ok

2) Can you do this with Arcgis or Qgis? Can you download elevation data and make a grey scale heighmap from it?

3) Is there a way to change the projection of a high quality worldmap? I know about G Projector but it only goes up to 7500 * 3500 px, is there a software that can do it for much larger maps (20,000 px large or more)?

Thanks for your answers.

3. Filo Count of Santa Lucia

Regno di Longobardia, Margraviato di Toscana.
    I don't know if this is the fight thread
    However, how can i draw the map boxes?
    Thanks

4. Filo Count of Santa Lucia

Regno di Longobardia, Margraviato di Toscana.
    Can someone provide me with a tutorial for paint uniforms and armors?
    Thanks.

5. Omar04 Well-Known Member

How does one draw realistic looking electoral districts in a completely fictional country?

6. Witch0Winter Witch ❄️f Winter (formerly ToixStory)

Yes to all of those questions and I can tell you how! Send me a private message. :)

7. Polskamoze Active Member

Can anyone show me a tutorial on how to make a map like this? I'm interested in making these types.[​IMG]

Sean likes this.
  8. Atlantisa Guard Well-Known Member

Pardon me, but how would I interpret the RGB value for a colour in a colour scheme/key if it doesn't show the RGB value of a colour in that scheme?

9. ZayoTVRadio Deposed Manatee

Great Manatee Republic of Choina Situation
    NOTE: The following advice assumes a default menu (and keybindings) for each respective Graphics Editor, and does not cover other editors like Photoshop, as I neither own such programs nor have any experience with them.

In Paint.net, there is a "Colors" window, with a "More >>" button located in the top right of the Color Wheel. Clicking this button will expand the window to the right, providing a section bearing additional information regarding the selected color, including, first and foremost, RGB values. Using the color picker tool (keyboard shortcut: K), select a color of choice in the scheme, and voila! The expanded window should have within it the RGB values of said color.

Interpreting the RGB values in GIMP is a slightly different process. The color picker tool (keyboard shortcut: O) should be used first, as the RGB values of the selected color can be interpreted by clicking the active foreground color, located below the tools menu, whereupon color selection dialog should appear, displaying to the top-right RGB values; each individual value is displayed as a percentage of 255. I have three words after that. Do the math.

I hope this will be of some help to you, and perhaps, other members of the forum...

10. Atlantisa Guard Well-Known Member

Thank you for helping me out

11. Carbon2846 Трахни меня, это сглаживание! Banned

Does anyone know what GIS to use for mapping?