Illustration Tutorials and Advice Superthread

Krall

Banned
I'm sorry, but if MSPaint is too complicated for you, there aren't many better tools.

This is the advice thread, and that is the opposite of advice.

I'm sorry to bother you guys but I badly need some advice.
Firstly I would say I know NOTHING about computers I did not grow up with them and jargon and code words will only confuse me so if you would please bear that in mind?
I have been writing this
https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...ot-a-slightly-different-world-war-two.356466/
For the past few years
And it has been pointed out to me that the timeline would benefit from a few maps
My problem is that I do not know how to do this
MS paint was recommended but it will not download onto my computer and youtube video tutorials seem to be aimed at 15 year old's and have music that stops me from hearing what is said
What I would like to do is just go onto google images/maps and then draw a few lines and words ,nothing too dramatic.
Is there a simple way of doing this that does not involve jargon and does allow my computer which does not run on Microsoft 10 to accept it?
Thanks
Hugh

Do you know what operating system your computer's running? You said it's not Microsoft Windows 10, but is it another version of Windows? If so, then MS Paint should already be installed - it comes with all Windows operating systems.

This is the advice thread, and that is the opposite of advice.

Do you know what operating system your computer's running? You said it's not Microsoft Windows 10, but is it another version of Windows? If so, then MS Paint should already be installed - it comes with all Windows operating systems.
Apparently 8.1?
I managed to find paint!
Eventually.
It was well hidden on a page I did not know existed
So I snipped Google maps and drew on it for hours and saved it
But I saved it wrong
And it would not load as I should have saved it as a thing called a jpeg
So I started again and this time it worked but came out as little pictures which you have to click on
I left it as that because that was the result of over a days effort
I will try and do better next time

Krall

Banned
Apparently 8.1?
I managed to find paint!
Eventually.
It was well hidden on a page I did not know existed
So I snipped Google maps and drew on it for hours and saved it
But I saved it wrong
And it would not load as I should have saved it as a thing called a jpeg
So I started again and this time it worked but came out as little pictures which you have to click on
I left it as that because that was the result of over a days effort
I will try and do better next time

I'm glad you found Paint, though I'm confused by the issues you had saving it. I would advise you to save images as PNG files instead of jpegs, though, as PNGs maintain the image quality better.

Is there anyway to change the output folder of paint.net? Currently it tries to install the x64 msi to my AppData folder in my C:\ drive. Problem is, there is limited space in my C:// drive, so paint.net can't install (not sure why C:\ drive is full, i have not installed anything).

Output folder: C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\PdnSetup Extract: PaintDotNet_x86.msi... 100%

^Above is the final line before the error.

Is there anyway to change the output folder of paint.net? Currently it tries to install the x64 msi to my AppData folder in my C:\ drive. Problem is, there is limited space in my C:// drive, so paint.net can't install (not sure why C:\ drive is full, i have not installed anything).

Output folder: C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\PdnSetup Extract: PaintDotNet_x86.msi... 100%

^Above is the final line before the error.

hmm, well I don't exactly know if you can select a different output, maybe try moving something from your C:// to a different drive to free up room, then adjust them as you see fit?

I'm sorry to bother you guys but I badly need some advice.
Firstly I would say I know NOTHING about computers I did not grow up with them and jargon and code words will only confuse me so if you would please bear that in mind?
I have been writing this
https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...ot-a-slightly-different-world-war-two.356466/
For the past few years
And it has been pointed out to me that the timeline would benefit from a few maps
My problem is that I do not know how to do this
MS paint was recommended but it will not download onto my computer and youtube video tutorials seem to be aimed at 15 year old's and have music that stops me from hearing what is said
What I would like to do is just go onto google images/maps and then draw a few lines and words ,nothing too dramatic.
Is there a simple way of doing this that does not involve jargon and does allow my computer which does not run on Microsoft 10 to accept it?
Thanks
Hugh
I use Pixlr, which is a free website. It's not great for complicated maps but it's perfectly compatible with Worlda. It's also pretty simple, just use the one pixel paint brush to draw borders. If you do plan to use this and need help just ask me. :)

I use Pixlr, which is a free website. It's not great for complicated maps but it's perfectly compatible with Worlda. It's also pretty simple, just use the one pixel paint brush to draw borders. If you do plan to use this and need help just ask me. :)
Thank you I will look it up over the weekend

Deleted member 108228

I need help with a worldA map and I dont know how to create the borders for far off nations

The yellow nation is where I'm struggling at. I'm trying to figure out on how to make topographically correct borders, which are vertical. Also in inkscape, should the desired map be a root?

Attachments

• 2 Gods.png
    2 Gods.png
    80.6 KB · Views: 506
Hey guys!

Little question. I just bought my first MacBook and so I'm very new to Apple and Mac OS in general, and I'm having trouble with Inkscape. Is there a way to install it or open it? (I can't seem to be able to) Or a Mac OS equivalent to Inkscape that is free?

Thanks!

Hey guys!

Little question. I just bought my first MacBook and so I'm very new to Apple and Mac OS in general, and I'm having trouble with Inkscape. Is there a way to install it or open it? (I can't seem to be able to) Or a Mac OS equivalent to Inkscape that is free?

Thanks!
I think you need to install xQuartz first to run it if you haven't done that already.

Hope this is the right place to share this.

IbisPaintX – A fairly decent app for drawing and editing images for Android. I'm not sure if it's available for iOS, but I felt the lack of options for mobile users needed to be addressed.

Hope this is the right place to share this.

IbisPaintX – A fairly decent app for drawing and editing images for Android. I'm not sure if it's available for iOS, but I felt the lack of options for mobile users needed to be addressed.

ArtStudio is a suitable option for iPhone/iPad (I use the older version available, not the newer release.)

It allows editing of pixels so you can make WorldA and QBAM maps on it. Quite useful when you want to scratch the mapping itch but don’t have access to a computer.

so i downloaded some terrain i want to draw over, only problem is i cant figure out how to open it? anyone want to give me a hand? ive got gis software that says its compatible with the esri file types here but i think it needs it as one file not a million :winkytongue:! heres the source https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/business-and-government/ they have good historical maps under the leisure tab but i need bigboy hieght data for... reasons >_>

So uh, i have a few questions.

1) Is there a website where you can find greyscale heightmaps (like this one:
9k.png
) but for specific locations, and/or more importantly, not in an equirectangular projection? Even if it's a non equirectangular world map it's ok

2) Can you do this with Arcgis or Qgis? Can you download elevation data and make a grey scale heighmap from it?

3) Is there a way to change the projection of a high quality worldmap? I know about G Projector but it only goes up to 7500 * 3500 px, is there a software that can do it for much larger maps (20,000 px large or more)?

Thanks for your answers.