• Alaska curbstomps Amagi

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • Both sides either withdraw (heavily damaged)/or are both sunk

Votes: 21 26.9%

• Total voters

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Ok here's a good one, at the risk of incurring the wrath of a certain omnivorous California mammal. The never completed* IJN Amagi class battle cruiser (any one of the 4 ships can be chosen for this one) vs the American white elephant (and the class designed to counter the Amagi's), the USS Alaska (or Guam if you want). As always with these theoretical battle simulations, all ships and crew are in fighting condition and for the sake of simplicity, the Amagi class has been refitted with the Type 21,22 and 13 radars (the same radars the Yamato class had access to). Nothing compared to the Alaska's but it ought to make things as fair as possible, being that the Alaska's had access to contemporary USN capital ship radar suites.

Round 1: Both ships encounter each other in the south pacific, weather and sea conditions are favorable. Both ships are at battle stations after either radar or visual contact.

Round 2: Amagi class has the support of the Tone class cruiser Takao. Alaska class has the support of the Portland class heavy cruiser(and previous VS. contender), USS Indianapolis

*Amagi class were laid down but due to the Washington Naval Treaty were never completed. Amagi and Akagi were converted to Aircraft Carriers, with Amagi being damaged badly in an earthquake, she was scrapped.
The Alaska's were not designed to counter the Amagi class. That was the Lexington class BC (which wound up also being converted to CV after the WNT). By the late 30s the U.S. counter to the Amagi's, had they have been built, would have been the Iowa class (which, despite being the best battleship to ever draw water, was really more of a "battle cruiser" to the Montana's battleship)

The Alaska class was designed to counter vaporware rumors of an IJN "super cruiser" and the Deutschland class "pocket battleships".

The Alaska class was designed to counter vaporware rumors of an IJN "super cruiser" and the Deutschland class "pocket battleships".
In fairness a super cruiser wasn't a terrible idea for the USN provided they had built it with say 8,000 tons less displacement(probably by going for either 9 10" or 12 8" guns) and with decent underwater protection and had built the thing 5 years earlier than they did. Of course the ultimate super cruiser in terms of cost effectiveness is a Des Moines with a fourth turrret and improved armor and underwater protection(and maybe another pair of twin 5"/38 turrets) as it would bury opposing cruisers(and quite frankly anything unfortunate enough to get within said ship's effective gun range)in shells but alas the technology simply wasn't there when the super cruisers were being designed.

Last edited:
The Alaska's were not designed to counter the Amagi class. That was the Lexington class BC (which wound up also being converted to CV after the WNT). By the late 30s the U.S. counter to the Amagi's, had they have been built, would have been the Iowa class (which, despite being the best battleship to ever draw water, was really more of a "battle cruiser" to the Montana's battleship)

Yeah, sorry bout that CalBear, my sleep deprived brain confused the Amagis with the proposed B-65 cruisers

Hah! Someone else thinks the Iowa's were the biggest, baddest, bestest battlecruisers ever built by the b-seafaring b-nations. (Damn, alliteration is harder than it looks)

As for hypothetical rebuilds, here's what a modernized Lexington may have looked like, original included:

cc-cl.jpg

battlecruiser-saratoga-png.422503

and Amagi, original and updated

Last edited:
The South Dakota was not worked up when she fought at Second Guadalcanal in a meeting engagement.
Yes but the difference in time from commissioning is quite a bit longer for SD,
SD Commissioned 20 March 1942 fights on 14 November 42 = 239 Days
POW Commissioned: 19 January 1941 - fights 24 May 1941 = 125 Days
But Raven and Roberts notes that POW was not actually "completed" (not sure why its not the same as commissioned she is the only RN BB with two dates did she have to be moved due to bombing by her new RN crew prior to finishing?) until 31 March 1941 - fights 24 May 1941 = 54 Days
PoW also sailed into action with dockyard crew working on her unlike SD?

McPherson

Banned
Yes but the difference in time from commissioning is quite a bit longer for SD,
SD Commissioned 20 March 1942 fights on 14 November 42 = 239 Days
POW Commissioned: 19 January 1941 - fights 24 May 1941 = 125 Days
But Raven and Roberts notes that POW was not actually "completed" (not sure why its not the same as commissioned she is the only RN BB with two dates did she have to be moved due to bombing by her new RN crew prior to finishing?) until 31 March 1941 - fights 24 May 1941 = 54 Days
PoW also sailed into action with dockyard crew working on her unlike SD?

The Luftwaffe pranged Prince of Wales during her construction. That, alone, from the shock damage seen in the repair to that damage should have caused the builders to look hard at that problem and at the shaft alley construction revealed in that damage inflicted on the weigh. It was not fixed.

The Luftwaffe pranged Prince of Wales during her construction. That, alone, from the shock damage seen in the repair to that damage should have caused the builders to look hard at that problem and at the shaft alley construction revealed in that damage inflicted on the weigh. It was not fixed.

McP,

I like you, man, I really do. But...

Not every ship thread needs to be a referendum on PoW's shaft alleys. However, I'd love to see a McP optimized Prince of Wales/ KGV class, if you have the time and wherewithal.

I heard that the Lexingtons supposed to have very thin armor? Quick look at wiki:
Lexington:
Armor:
  • Belt: 5–7 in (127–178 mm)
  • Barbettes: 5–9 in (127–229 mm)
  • Turret face: 11 in (279 mm)
  • Turret sides: 6 in (152 mm)
  • Conning tower: 12 in (305 mm)
  • Deck: 1.5–2.25 in (38–57 mm)
Amagi:
Armor:
  • Belt: 250 mm (9.8 in)
  • Deck: 95 mm (3.7 in)
  • Conning Tower: 75–360 mm (3.0–14.2 in)
  • Torpedo bulkheads: 73 mm (2.9 in)
  • Barbettes: 230–280 mm (9.1–11.0 in)
The Amagis have better armor and more and larger guns. I say the IJN still wins in most circumstances, barring Lexington being refitted with a superior radar prior to the engagement, and locating and identifying Amagi before she does the same.

McPherson

Banned
McP,

I like you, man, I really do. But...

Not every ship thread needs to be a referendum on PoW's shaft alleys. However, I'd love to see a McP optimized Prince of Wales/ KGV class, if you have the time and wherewithal.

Now you know how I feel about North Carolina bow defects mentioned in every thread about how the Iowas suck. Every warship has tradeoffs and mistakes incorporated into the construction (Boy, was the Oliver Hazard Perry class screwed up! Want to hear about the LCS?). It is a compromise exercise. Something has to give.

How could I optimize Prince of Wales?

a. auxiliary generators to guns and to power the ships electronics.
b. repeat the QE II turret layouts with the double end layouts. Even the same guns.
c. raft the drive shaft segments and use flex mounts and idiot pins to link the vulnerable couplers at the pass throughs. Put in slam stops in case a shaft alley fails or snaps.
d. raft the turbines, and put in idiot proofs to the boiler condenser circuit.
e. maybe solve the dual purpose gun problem, with the 4.7 or the 4.5 instead of the defective 5.25 solution. Use self actuated 4cm pompoms or Borfors 4cm/L70 mounts.
f. and change the compartmentation scheme to beam instead of length partition. Damage control was twice as hard as it should have been with counterflooding and isolating the flooded cells in the float sausage.

If you want art, I am not at my computer so it will have to wait a bit.

McP.

Last edited:
How could I optimize Prince of Wales?

a. auxiliary generators to guns and to power the ships electronics.
b. repeat the QE II turret layouts with the double end layouts. Even the same guns.
c. raft the drive shaft segments and use flex mounts and idiot pins to link the vulnerable couplers at the pass throughs. Put in slam stops in case a shaft alley fails or snaps.
d. raft the turbines, and put in idiot proofs to the boiler condenser circuit.
e. maybe solve the dual purpose gun problem, with the 4.7 or the 4.5 instead of the defective 5.25 solution. Use self actuated 4cm pompoms or Borfors 4cm/L70 mounts.
f. and change the compartmentation scheme to beam instead of length partition. Damage control was twice as hard as it should have been with counterflooding and isolating the flooded cells in the float sausage.

If you want art, I am not at my computer so it will have to wait a bit.
Mostly agree but,
1) not sure you can actually raft effectively with WWII tech and not go hugely over budget or more importantly for KVGs TIME?

2) /70 is also post war but /60 would be fine as would more 2pdr

3) I disagree with QEII layout unless you are going for something even more optimized I don't think four turrets is worth the extra weight of protection? (unless we are talking proto Vanguard reuse of 15")

My KVG would be something with just two quads 14" to save weight and get more speed and add AA (4.5"/40mm), hopefully save on production limits on main gun mounts to speed up construction? The question is would you go for all forward for split balanced I'm not sure?

Last edited:

McPherson

Banned
Mostly agree but,
1) not sure you can actually raft effectively with WWII tech and not go hugely over budget or more importantly for KVGs TIME?

2) /70 is also post war but /60 would be fine as would more 2pdr

3) I disagree with QEII layout unless you are going for something even more optimized I don't think four turrets is worth the extra weight of protection? (unless we are talking proto Vanguard reuse of 15")

My KVG would be something with just two quads 14" to save weight and get more speed and add AA (4.5"/40mm), hopefully save on production limits on main gun mounts to speed up construction? The question is would you go for all forward for split balanced I'm not sure?

1. Some shock mounting and a little time is worth 1500 lives and the cost of the weapon platform. A much cheaper solution is a properly trained admiral, but I was not asked to do anything but address construction issues. So forward... =>

2. Bofors 40mm/L60, then. I would be even happy with pompoms for LA as long as the HA dual purpose secondaries problem is solved in the gun and in the directors.

3. Go with proven versus unproven every time when shipwrighting. I have a mania about this engineering practice. Twin barrels in the gun houses is easier to solve shell dispersion problems. Hoist machinery and trucks are already solved, too, for a twin layout, as is the barbette pattern and framing issues. It is not the armor citadel thickening that is important for the ship to meet WNT/LNT bee-ess. The QEs worked fine with what they had clear through WW Ii. It is the compartmentation and shock resistance that was the KGVs issues and the 14"/L45 guns in the quad mounts which boloed and were a headache through their commissionings and early deployments.

4. Vanguards are really not a bad idea. I like the 15"/L42 of the QEs. I've written somewhere that these were the finest naval guns ever made for battleship use.

3. Go with proven versus unproven every time when shipwrighting. I have a mania about this engineering practice. Twin barrels in the gun houses is easier to solve shell dispersion problems. Hoist machinery and trucks are already solved, too, for a twin layout, as is the barbette pattern and framing issues. It is not the armor citadel thickening that is important for the ship to meet WNT/LNT bee-ess. The QEs worked fine with what they had clear through WW Ii. It is the compartmentation and shock resistance that was the KGVs issues and the 14"/L45 guns in the quad mounts which boloed and were a headache through their commissionings and early deployments.

4. Vanguards are really not a bad idea. I like the 15"/L42 of the QEs. I've written somewhere that these were the finest naval guns ever made for battleship use.
Not sure that 15" and QEs (+Rs) didn't get off lightly (admittedly like many of the earlier/later BB types of many nations) due to lack of actually having to fight top end WWII opposition ie post 37 ships with real large working guns that didn't run away faster than the QE/Rs could do..... I do think its a very good WWI gun but for service for probably the next 20 years (37-57) without total hindsight I don't think RN could agree to keep it as the main gun.

The 14"/KVG also have the problem of being rushed a lot into service very fast in wartime as they had to do the job as nothing else could due to lack of other strong fast ships, and having to fight in North Atlantic storms in huge seas not the Med or Pacific.....I don't think they actually have anything deeply wrong with them if you look at the later war fights they worked as well as any other guns did and 14" was fine at least for the European war.
The 16" N&R is just a mess early on probably due to cash flow and even then never had the money to get fully developed into something like the Lion 16" that did not ever get to sea....

I don't think four twins work they just use to much weight especially in the extra length of the citadel that cripples any real 35,000t ship, I would be happy with 2 14" quads as 8 guns of any 14/15/16" should do and really RN needed ships yesterday, three old 15" twins would also be fine with hindsight but would never be accepted pre war.....

and a little time
Just to add this is by far the most important part of any of the last generation ships, simply put almost any of the post 37 ships is acceptable if they are a year earlier than the alternative.

In the RNs case moving the KVGs ships a year (or even 1/2 a year) up or down would be far more important that what gun or number they had or really anything else, with hindsight they are only needed for a very brief time from 39 to 45 (basically 5 years) and the later part is so supported by other ships, navy's and aircraft that its just the 39-43 (3 years) part that really decisively matters. KVG was at least ready in late 40 so got to be useful for 2 of them but Howe was only ready in summer 42 and is virtually forgotten and far less worthwhile....

If I wanted to be controversial I would say that USN would have been far better off with six 9x14" NCs as long as they are all ready in May 1941 than OTL NC/SD ships (as long as they are out with CVs or in Atlantic not hit at PH).

Last edited:

McPherson

Banned
Not sure that 15" and QEs (+Rs) didn't get off lightly (admittedly like many of the earlier/later BB types of many nations) due to lack of actually having to fight top end WWII opposition ie post 37 ships with real large working guns that didn't run away faster than the QE/Rs could do..... I do think its a very good WWI gun but for service for probably the next 20 years (37-57) without total hindsight I don't think RN could agree to keep it as the main gun.

Given their druthers, the British admirals would have gone for a 40.6 cm/45 to counter the Colorados and the Nagatos. The flag-waving of the time is a problem. I think the guns on the Rodney and Nelson fired a too light shell at too high a muzzle velocity. The three gun mounts in the gun houses did not help matters. Of the 3 navies which floated 16"/L45 or 50 or larger bore artillery, all of them had shell dispersion problems with triple mounts. The Colorados and the Nagatos carried twin mounts but even they had trouble with dispersion that had to be fixed with staggered war-shot firing linked to a clock delay mechanical solution.

The 14"/KVG also have the problem of being rushed a lot into service very fast in wartime as they had to do the job as nothing else could due to lack of other strong fast ships, and having to fight in North Atlantic storms in huge seas not the Med or Pacific.....I don't think they actually have anything deeply wrong with them if you look at the later war fights they worked as well as any other guns did and 14" was fine at least for the European war.

I would have gone with the 14"/45 (35.6 cm) Marks II, IV and V. They worked rather well in British service. Just one problem... though. Those guns, complete with trucks, turntables, hoists and barbettes were American. Even the gun-houses were American.

Although the British were unimpressed with the overall design of these [American] guns and mountings, they did perhaps perform better under fire than did contemporary British designs. In January 1918, HMS Raglan was holed through the barbette by a 28.3 cm (11.1 in) shell from the former SMS Goeben, now the Turkish Yavuz Sultan Selim. This hit ignited charges in the hand-up chambers between the handling rooms and gunhouse, but the flash was contained and did not spread below to the magazines. This may also have been due to the fact that the propellant was USN nitrocellulose and not British cordite.

Yeah... I would still say flag waving is a problem at both ends there. I see no reason to cite Americanisms when I KNOW for a fact; the Vickers 38cm/15"/L42 was a much superior gun to the Bethlehem Steel 35.6cm/L45 described ballistically and operationally.

The 16" N&R is just a mess early on probably due to cash flow and even then never had the money to get fully developed into something like the Lion 16" that did not ever get to sea....

Actually the RN did exactly what the USN did in the late 1920s.

From inadequate firing trials, a mistaken theory was promulgated by the Director of Naval Ordnance (DNO) that held that a high-velocity, low-weight projectile would have superior armor penetration characteristics at large oblique angles of impact, a conclusion which was the opposite of previous findings. This theory was not substantiated by later trials, but these took place too late to affect the decision to use a lightweight APC projectile for new designs. As a result, these guns proved to be only marginally better in terms of armor penetration than the previous 15"/42 (38.1 cm) Mark I and much less satisfactory than those older guns in terms of accuracy and barrel life.

The USN nitwit was RADM William D. Leahy who almost made that mistake for the Americans. RADM Harold B. Larimer reversed his stupid decision.

I don't think four twins work they just use to much weight especially in the extra length of the citadel that cripples any real 35,000t ship, I would be happy with 2 14" quads as 8 guns of any 14/15/16" should do and really RN needed ships yesterday, three old 15" twins would also be fine with hindsight but would never be accepted pre war.....

You could always consult the French. They were doing okay with their side by side twins. (Dunkirks.)

Just to add this is by far the most important part of any of the last generation ships, simply put almost any of the post 37 ships is acceptable if they are a year earlier than the alternative.

The question is do you need four or five? Can you pair them off in staggered construction? Of course after 1935 I'm building flattops and cruisers (Hindsight Harry is yakking in my ear.), but for battleships, I still go with what is proven to cut down design time, costs, construction costs and what I know will be PCO send back costs.

In the RN's case moving the KVGs ships a year (or even 1/2 a year) up or down would be far more important that what gun or number they had or really anything else, with hindsight they are only needed for a very brief time from 39 to 45 (basically 5 years) and the later part is so supported by other ships, navy's and aircraft that its just the 39-43 (3 years) part that really decisively matters. KVG was at least ready in late 40 so got to be useful for 2 of them but Howe was only ready in summer 42 and is virtually forgotten and far less worthwhile....

Shrug. Until 1935, despite Hindsight Harry, you have to have some battleships. You just don't know in the RN. Now the USN, the opinion was crystalized by almost 2 decades of testing that it was flattops. Still they got it wrong, too. They bungled on the subs. At least the RN got that part sort of right.

But now we are way off topic. What lessons learned here can we apply to the Alaska?

That flag-waving instead of mission needs is not the way to build or use a navy?

Last edited:
What lessons learned here can we apply to the Alaska?
That by 17 December 1941 if not 2 February 1942 and even more so before 20 December 1943 that they where not the right ships to be building......

By December 41 USN should have realised that (questionable) surface ships that would never be ready before 43 are very secondary to finishing what you have on hand ie 6 Iowas and Essex class as well as building lots of Escorts and Landing craft as fast as possible.....

By Dec 17 you know GB is not going to fall to Sea Lion and therefore its USN+RN v the smaller navy's you simply should plan for Germany first (as well as Italy) to speed up the point when its USN+RN against IJN at that point you cant lose so super CAs are very questionable priority.

Last edited:
Thing is, a G-shock equipped, 4 x 2 15" ship bristling with DP secondaries would be either a 23 knot ship, or a 45 000 ton ship- and therefore a Treaty buster or a Nelson with a barrel less and better arcs.

By Dec 17 you know GB is not going to fall to Sea Lion and therefore its USN+RN v the smaller navy's you simply should plan for Germany first (as well as Italy) to speed up the point when its USN+RN against IJN at that point you cant lose so super CAs are very questionable priority.

And, even if the IJN does build a super cruiser, battlecruisers and fast battleships are their natural predators.

McPherson

Banned
That by 17 December 1941 if not 2 February 1942 and even more so before 20 December 1943 that they where not the right ships to be building......

By December 41 USN should have realised that (questionable) surface ships that would never be ready before 43 are very secondary to finishing what you have on hand ie 6 Iowas and Essex class as well as building lots of Escorts and Landing craft as fast as possible.....

I'll go you one better. Build to exact era needs. The Wallies have a cruiser and large destroyer shortage. I have always thought the 6 inch gun cruiser with torpedoes of about 8,000 tonnes (5 x 2 6"/53m, 8 x 5"/38 and 2 x 5 TT with a suitable battery of 4 x 4cm/L60) was a good compromise. The thing can be built in 24 months and you get 5 of them for an Alaska. This is not much larger than a Juneau. It may be a bit light for an Amagi, but then if you are the Wallies you are trying to Zerg the Axis at sea. I mean look at the River Platte? Or ANY SAG action in Iron Bottom Sound.

Less Baked Alaska, more torpedoes!

I'll go you one better. Build to exact era needs....more torpedoes!
Of topic but I will go one better,

Post Dec 41 I would only lay down more Gato class (but with working Ts) to hold IJN and LST to defeat Italy and then Germany as soon as possible.....?

...The Alaska class was designed to counter vaporware rumors of an IJN "super cruiser" and the Deutschland class "pocket battleships".

This seemed to be turning into a free for all "vs." thread, for a bit. I know who I would bet on in an Alaska vs. Admiral Graf Spee duel. But who would win in Alaska vs. Exeter, Ajax and Achilles?