If They Want It Then They Can Have It.

OUTLINE OF THE ULSTER ASSEMBLY

The new assembly chamber will follow the standard parliamentary layout with a couple of exception. The Chief and Assistant Chief Minister will sit together in between the assembly members with the speaker and clerks behind.

There will also be a dedicated area for civil servants and tv cameras as proceedings will be recorded and broadcast on both UTV/ITN and RTE.

View attachment 487418
Conventional wisdom dictates that 'standard parliamentary layout' - eg he House of Commons is not the optimum to allow for the avoidance of conflict. Have a look at the Scottish Parliament.

Marr 2007

"The elections to the New Ulster Assembly took place on the same day at the referendum on our continued membership of the then EEC on the 5th of June 1975. Not only did the province vote yes to stay in the EU but also elected largely pro-statelet members. It was as if Ulster had been almost infected by a virus of peace and unity"

Everything seems to be going entirely too well. I expect a orgy of violence Soon, though will be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't happen.

Benn 1st December 1975

"London is in lockdown. Today marked the opening session of the new Ulster Assembly. I was in the office preparing a speech for Bristol when Frances Morrell burst through the door and said that there had been a huge explosion in Regent Street. No sooner had she said that then two armed officers came in and told me to come with them. We walked down a corridor and into a safe room.

Several minutes passed and there was confusion and chaos all round. Then came a phonecall from Merlyn saying that bombs had gone off in Dublin and Belfast. I quickly realised that there had been a co-ordinated attack on the day that the assembly was opened.

I asked if I could have a radio. Someone brought one in and tuned it to Radio 4. Wilson was speaking. His voice sounded shaky and angry. He told the assembly that these attacks would not, could not and will not rob Northern Ireland of peace and exhorted all in the assembly to strive for harmony.

It is now 11.43 PM. The damage has been awful. At least 32 people are dead in London with another 50 or so in the North and South of Ireland. Wilson has called an emergency cabinet for tomorrow at 9 AM and he will address the Commons at 12. I feel heartsick."

Benn 1st December 1975" saying that bombs had gone off in Dublin and Belfast. I quickly realised that there had been a co-ordinated attack on the day that the assembly was opened.

Simultaneous attacks are a good way of demonstrating strength, commitment and capabilities. Including Dublin makes it clear that all bets are off.

Marr 2007
The attacks were carried out by a group calling themselves the UIA (Ulster Independence Army). A group dedicated to (in their minds) recreating the neo-nazified Ulster of the brief "UU" days. Belfast was an obvious target. Dublin was attacked to "make it clear to the IRA and INLA that we can hurt you" whereas London was attacked for the reason (again in their minds) that London's withdrawal was in "need of punishment"

The UIA was a new and totally unprecedented threat. Here was a group that apparently decided that all were guilty of betrayal and threat and all must be punished."

Thank You.

Statement by the UIA 2nd December 1974

"Our actions were a justifiable response to the betrayal of the people of Ulster by the cowardly and deceitful abandonment of the British government. Let us make this clear we will act as we see fit to ensure that the people of Ulster who are loyal to the crown will control the destiny of Ulster and will exterminate all threats to our nation whether within or without

One people one future one Ulster"

Marr 2007

"The emergence of the UIA changed everything. Up until that point the thinking behind the various groups was that some wanted a united Ireland where others wanted the North to remain within the union. Now there was a group that Ulster as totally independent (as they imagined it to be) and everyone was fair game. This needed the security services and political establishments of both nations to come up with something new"

Roy Mason "Paying The Price" 1999

"The UIA's emergence in 1974 was by far the greatest internal threat to the mainland since the end of the war. The high level of co-ordination coupled with the devastatingly high power of the bombs used was an indication that there were those in the mainland who were prepared to conceal, create and cause havoc to maim and kill those who were against their fascist ideology.

I have to admit that when I became Secretary of State for Northern Ireland I was minded to scrap the assembly and pour police and soldiers back onto the streets"

Marr 2007

"The mood of the new Assembly in its first few weeks was one of trepidation. It was as if a courting couple was trying to find out each other foibles. The violence that had led up to its beginning had in one of history's greatest ironies gave the first sessions a pacific tone"

Merlyn Rees "Ireland, A Personal Perspective" 1985

Of all the terrible ramifications of the UIA's rise one thing became apparent. The fact that a group supposedly loyal to the crown was prepared to target fellow subjects of the crown. This got the attention of the mainland"

Membership of the NI Cabinet

(Taken from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland_Assembly_(1973) with "executive" change to "minister"