If They Want It Then They Can Have It.

Hmm, do I detect a hint of preparation to ask the US to allow Ulster to become the 51st state?
I doubt that would work. While the ruling groups in both are Protestant, the Orange Irish are a large minority and Anglican too, not Baptist/Presbytarian/whatever. Plus, with a history of Irish Nationalist sympathy in the States, it would be counterproductive.

I mean, yes, the USA put the IRA on the terrorist list in the 1970s because Britain was its pal, but if London is washing its hands of the insanity, why should Washington jump in with both feet?

I doubt that would work. While the ruling groups in both are Protestant, the Orange Irish are a large minority and Anglican too, not Baptist/Presbytarian/whatever. Plus, with a history of Irish Nationalist sympathy in the States, it would be counterproductive.

I mean, yes, the USA put the IRA on the terrorist list in the 1970s because Britain was its pal, but if London is washing its hands of the insanity, why should Washington jump in with both feet?

The USA would not want another Vietnam.

Will the Kennedy clan have the wit not to jump in with both left feet ??
==

Disclaimer: One side of my family hails from Baltray area, on the North coast of River Boyne estuary down-stream from Drogheda. Been a long, long time, but I still remember being awed by Newgrange...

Last edited:
Will the Kennedy clan have the wit not to jump in with both left feet ??
==

Disclaimer: One side of my family hails from Baltray area, on the North coast of River Boyne estuary down-stream from Drogheda. Been a long, long time, but I still remember being awed by Newgrange...

Definitely no Kennedys

3rd July 1974 MOD

"Prime Minister

Ah Roy, what news?

The SAS and Paras went in at 1 AM. They infiltrated the barracks where all the remaining British were

And

There was resistance

Go On

3 soldiers were killed and...

and what?

Seven paratroopers have been taken hostage"

manav95

Banned

I don't think the US wants to destroy the special relationship just because of the clout of Irish Americans and the Kennedys. Demographically even, the Irish are past their peak and the Democrats are moving towards support of socially liberal causes anyway.

A statement by United Ulster

"The taking of these hostages is our response to the heinous abandonment of the people of Ulster by the British government. We cannot simply be left to our fate. We have therefore taken these step for force the government to reverse its policy of abandonment.

If these demands are not met then we will no choice but to kill them."

Ramontxo

Donor
AIUI a lot of SAS were previously Paras. I am sure this is not going to end well. Specially us the only way I can see a loyalist gang taking Paras as prisoners is abusing some strict ROEs...

A statement by United Ulster

"The taking of these hostages is our response to the heinous abandonment of the people of Ulster by the British government. We cannot simply be left to our fate. We have therefore taken these step for force the government to reverse its policy of abandonment.

If these demands are not met then we will no choice but to kill them."

Enjoy your visit by the SAS.

AIUI a lot of SAS were previously Paras. I am sure this is not going to end well. Specially us the only way I can see a loyalist gang taking Paras as prisoners is abusing some strict ROEs...

There's also the feeling that by killing the Paras some loyalists would turn against UU for killing "their own".

6th July 1974

BBC Nine O' Clock News

Good Evening. The Ulster hostages have been freed. An operation by the RUC and Special forces were able to retrieve the soldiers in the early hours of this morning. Two hostage takers have been killed and 6 have been arrested.

All English, Scottish and Welsh nationals have now been evacuated from Northern Ireland.

7th July 1974

"We are one people. We are one state. We are Ulster. We stand united under one flag and loyal to one queen. We call on all able Ulster people to defend our homes and our loved ones again all who seek to destroy our country.

Be warned. Anyone who seeks to stifle or smother us will face no mercy

God Save Ulster. God Save the Queen

Statement made on "The Ulster Broadcasting Corporation" ( UU controlled BBC)

CBS News 29th July

Howard K Smith: Good Evening. It has been called a tragedy of unprecedented proportions. The mass exodus of hundreds of thousands of Irish Catholics from Northern Ireland due to the discrimination and victimisation from the province's loyalist majority. it has drawn parallels with the treatments of the Jews during World War 2. In a special report Dan Rather reports from both Dublin and Belfast on the tragedy. A warning to viewers that some parts of the report may be distressing.

7th July 1974

"We are one people. We are one state. We are Ulster. We stand united under one flag and loyal to one queen. We call on all able Ulster people to defend our homes and our loved ones again all who seek to destroy our country.
Be warned. Anyone who seeks to stifle or smother us will face no mercy God Save Ulster. God Save the Queen

Or, to put it another way: "Ulster will fight and Ulster will be right"

CBS News 29th July

Howard K Smith: Good Evening. It has been called a tragedy of unprecedented proportions. It has drawn parallels with the treatments of the Jews during World War 2.
I must have missed the establishment of Catholic ghettos, forced 'resettlement', the removal of civil rights, the banning of Catholics from the professions, the destruction of Catholic churches, the forced sales of business and the requirement to wear crucifixes on clothing.