If these animals hadn't gone extinct, how would they fare today?

The premise is to pick an animal species which has been hunted or otherwise pushed into exinction by humans in our timeline and somehow have it survive well into the 21st century, probably by sheer luck.

How well would they do now? Would their population stabilize, would they firmly remain on the list of threatened species, would they still be among the first to go extinct eventually?

I would think a lot of arctic species could still be around today if passing ships hadn't relied on them for provisions quite so aggressively. If steller's sea cow or the great auk survived that era of sea travel, even if just hanging on by a thread, then I could easily see them become "normal" arctic species to us like walruses or polar bears. Stil severely threatened, perhaps, especially by climate change, but far from fading into distant memory as they are in our timeline.

On a sidenote, do you think that extinction at the hand of humans is a "meritocracy", meaning that if a species dies out, this necessarily means it has been more fragile than other species in the first place? So for instance, in no timeline coild the walrus go extinct before steller's sea cow, unless something truely bizarre happens.
Various ground-owls from islands.

Last edited:
Well, does it have to be 100% proved, or can be a "Pretty much proved"?
Because the latter, pretty much all megafauna would be included:
- In Australia, we would talk of giant marsupials like Diprotodon and Thylacoleo, and giant reptiles like Megalania. New South Wales and Queensland would be the only places I could see them persist
- South America, Ground Sloths, Giant armadillos and wonders like Macrauchenia or Toxodon, with familiar faces like camels, sabretooths and mastodons
- North America, a faunal diversity that dwarfs Africa: Mammoths, mastodons, ground sloths, armadillos, bison, camels, horses, and predators like American lion, Sabertooth and the Short Faced Bear
- Europe, the big loser, would be now populated by template megafauna, that during the Ice Age refuged in the Iberian Peninsula: Short-tusked elephants, rhinos, hippos, auroch, horses etc

Mostly extinct in the 1830's, the last known sighting was 1852. Much of the great auk's extinction had to do with a demand for it's eggs as a museum and curiosity item and simple bad luck.

See, this is what makes me wanna scream in the whole story - how a lot of the hunting during th final days was motivated by "let's kill and stuff as many of them as we can before they're all extinct! :) ".
???!!!??
I hate that we had to go through a phase of screeching short-sighted idiocy like that before the idea of protecting nature ever gained steam.

South America, Ground Sloths, Giant armadillos and wonders like Macrauchenia or Toxodon, with familiar faces like camels, sabretooths and mastodons

There are some accounts that some species of ground sloths survived in the Caribbean, long enough to the arrival of the first humans.

A bit surprised nobody mentioned the quagga, a relative of the zebra that became extinct in the 1880s.
forgot about that one, and another critter called the blue buck, IIRC... both basically wiped out by zealous overhunting in colonial S. Africa.
There are some accounts that some species of ground sloths survived in the Caribbean, long enough to the arrival of the first humans.
IIRC, the ground sloth survived in both N and S America after humans arrived. It used to be a cryptozoological thing that it was still surviving in the wilds of Patagonia, but they've never found one...

IIRC, the ground sloth survived in both N and S America after humans arrived. It used to be a cryptozoological thing that it was still surviving in the wilds of Patagonia, but they've never found one...

I once heard there were still ground sloths around when Columbus arrived, but I couldn't find any verification for that.

I once heard there were still ground sloths around when Columbus arrived, but I couldn't find any verification for that.
I think all the ground sloths died out before that... climate change and hunting pressure did them all in. The ones in the Caribbean lasted longer, but not that long. The cryptozoological part of it comes from a handful of accounts of early Spanish explorers in Patagonia who said they saw something like it, and some seemingly very fresh remains found in a cave in 1895. But Patagonia is scarcely unexplored today, and nobody found one, so wishful thinking...

Human hunting and climate change, both together the responsible, and one couldn't do it without the another
- Climate change could never have provoked such a extinction
- But at the same time, where humans arrived and there wasn't climate change, megafauna could support hunting

So, in order to realistically have megafauna surviving, we need to eliminate or delay one of them

A surviving mammoth population would probably mean a surviving mammoth steppe. Which means a great deal for the survival of permafrost and global warming mitigation, as well as increasing the carrying capacity of the Arctic in general.

How about species which could potentially have been saved through some degree of domestication?

Then we're dealing with such a radically differently world that it's impossible to say what it looks like. Even something like the North American horse being domesticated is such a massive game changer that it's difficult to say what happens when Europeans show up and what colonial societies develop.

A surviving mammoth population would probably mean a surviving mammoth steppe. Which means a great deal for the survival of permafrost and global warming mitigation, as well as increasing the carrying capacity of the Arctic in general.

The Russian Steppe Bison of the ice age, wonder if it could have been domesticated.

BlondieBC

Banned
The British Isles had a population density that low during the Neolithic and Bronze Age and they still went extinct. And I don't see how a population density that low is sustainable long-term unless this is common everywhere.

You need a disease vector keeping the human population down. If you imagine the European Tsetse Fly combined with European sleeping sickness, then it would be easy to imagine some of the major species surviving. So once the humans hit the open planes of Hungary or the Ukraine, they generally can't sustain dense populations.