If the 110th Congress passed an Assault Weapons Ban, would Bush have signed it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bush said he supported renewing the Assault Weapons Ban in his 2000 and 2004 campaigns, but I know that the right to buy assault weapons was a big part of the GOP platform before and after Bush’s Presidency.

I don't think it would have. I'd expect a party line vote, in the Senate Sanders would be pro and Lieberman against. Cheney breaks the tie against.

Let's say it does pass...I'm going to take the boring route and say no. And there's no supermajority. Democrats alienate pro-gun folks but please anti-gun folks, and nothing happens.

Frankly, the lack of clear evidence that the first one did anything and the ease with which it can be circumvented makes me wonder if all Democrats would even vote for it; after all, multiple attempts died in Democrat-led committees.

There's a good chance it doesn't even get 50 votes, much less 60, given the rural Democrats who are the gap-balancer. Or that it doesn't even pass the House (ditto).

marathag

Banned
but I know that the right to buy assault weapons was a big part of the GOP platform before and after Bush’s Presidency.
Yes. Pistol Grips, Barrel shrouds and the all too deadly features of the bayonet lug and flash hider made weapons too horrible for the average Joe to own.
This PostBan AR was OK
1593521522374.png

Oh, and new 10+ round magazines, the millions of old magazines were grandfathered.

Dubya pushing to renew that would put him in the same category as his Old Man on reading his Lips then embracing new taxes

Status
Not open for further replies.