I am thinking about making alternate history where Tsar Nicholas II's children are granted asylum in Britain which was influenced by Olga marrying Prince Edward of Wales prior to WWI (specifically between November 1913 to April 1914). Would her being married to him, make Geroge V more pressed on granting the Romanovs asylum? Also would Olga be popular in Britain? And also would this big event intervene with Edward meeting Wallis Simpson? Also if Olga became Queen consort, what would she do?

I am thinking about making alternate history where Tsar Nicholas II's children are granted asylum in Britain which was influenced by Olga marrying Prince Edward of Wales prior to WWI (specifically between November 1913 to April 1914). Would her being married to him, make Geroge V more pressed on granting the Romanovs asylum? Also would Olga be popular in Britain? And also would this big event intervene with Edward meeting Wallis Simpson? Also if Olga became Queen consort, what would she do?
That'd definitely butterfly the whole Wallis business.

As for Olga, is there precedence for Russian Grand Duchesses (especially daughters of the Tsar) converting? I know English princesses have done so, FWIW.

Grand Duchess Maria Alexandrovna married Queen Victoria's son, Prince Alfred but I'm not sure if she converted to Anglicism.

Grand Duchess Maria Alexandrovna married Queen Victoria's son, Prince Alfred but I'm not sure if she converted to Anglicism.
AFAIK, she didn't convert (her daughter Marie was apparently brought up as Anglican, but converted to Orthodoxy upon marrying into the Romanian Royal Family).

The British might ask Olga to convert, since she is marrying the Prince of Wales, and not the second in line.

Off topic, but in the fanon thread for TL 191, I suggested that the "First Churchillian Law" allowed Olga to stay Orthodox when marrying Edward VIII after the First Great War.

Hmm, could they had made an exception prior to the law, because judging by Olga's personality, I don't think she would be likely to convert unless maybe her father insisted on it.

Does Olga have to convert to Anglicanism, I thought that only catholics were excluded by the act of settlement?

Depends, if Geroge V and Mary are lenient about their daughter in law practicing another religion. Im thinking they would insist she becomes Anglican.

Last edited:
She was born in 1895 so not sure. Probably actual marriage would be bit later than in 1914.

I was referring to his age rather than hers. Both George V and George VI married in their late 20s and OTL Edward VIII stayed a bachelor well into his forties so I don't think marrying at such a young age was something that was done by male members of British royal family at the time.

Last edited:
I was referring to his age rather than hers. Both George V and George VI married in their late 20s and OTL Edward VIII stayed a bachelor well into his forties so I don't think marrying at such a young age was something that was done by male members of British royal family at the time.
Good point, but for hypothetical purposes, we will say they get married in 1913 after Olga's birthday or early 1914 as if they were to get married after wwI, The Romanov would have been in captivity.

This fits an earlier thread (AHC have a Romanov on the British throne).

Maybe send Olga to London in June of 1914 to learn the English language and customs to prepare for eventual marriage. WW1 goes largely as OTL but the royal family is killed in 1917. Edward takes the name Romanov to preserve that line in addition to getting rid of the German surname. (Or, he still takes the name Windsor and the heir is a Windsor but the spares are Romanovs, and a spare or his son ends up with the throne.)

Most disturbing aspect of this scenario is it butterflies Wallis Simpson, but doesn't butterfly Hitler. Edward will be even more of a Hitler sympathizer if the Bolsheviks killed his wife's family.

Last edited:
Most disturbing aspect of this scenario is it butterflies Wallis Simpson, but doesn't butterfly Hitler. Edward will be even more of a Hitler sympathizer if the Bolsheviks killed his wife's family.

No doubt that EVIII would has some sympathy towards nazis despite that they are invading his wife's home country. But government has anyway plans for keeping the king away from radio stations so he is not going to give speeches for BBC.

Maybe send Olga to London in June of 1914 to learn the English language and customs to prepare for eventual marriage. WW1 goes largely as OTL but the royal family is killed in 1917.
That first part isn't necessary. She already spoke to her mother and sisters in English when in private.

Interesting. I always thought French was the private language of Russian nobles.
It was but Alexandra spent a lot of her early childhood in Britain and was fluent in English but never got all that good at speaking French along with Russian which was part of the reason she struggled so much as Empress of Russia.