if Northern England was a separate constituent country

being Northern English myself I’ve always wondered what if Northern England (and maybe the Midlands aswell) was it own kinda separate entity from the rest of well would be then Southern England just like Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland already is at present but either under government from Westminster or Independent Parliament run from like Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Newcastle (and again Birmingham or Nottingham for the Midlands case) just like the equivalent of Glasgow or Edinburgh being for Scotland, Cardiff or Swansea being for Wales, Belfast Stormont being for Northern Ireland respectively

Would we be even be called Northern England still or chosen another name for our country such as Northumbria or Danelaw or even Pennineland as such aside our different lifestyle dialects accents slangs etc from the rest of Britain and our culture and history being much closer to the likes of Scotland, Wales, Ireland and even Scandinavia and the Ancient Norse Vikings that once settled here under Danelaw Rule with Jorvik aka York being the capital city and the Kingdom of Northumbria stretching from the Firth of Forth in the north to the Mersey and Humber in the south and the Kingdom of Mercia at the border including Cheshire and Derbyshire and Lincolnshire all being part of it at the time

My own theories below are

just plain Northern England but with the Nordic Cross especially representing the North West domination

4CCD0CCD-F412-498D-9AF7-1B5C9B198473.jpeg

a revival of the Kingdom of Northumbria but in the modern day

if the Kingdom of Northumbria had survived today it may not still be based at Bamburgh Castle tho as head of seat capital but would the country name may still caused some confusion with the actual county of Northumberland and maybe a modern flag with the St George’s Cross incorporated (or technically should that be St Aiden’s in Northumbria’s case) be included beside the traditional flag and it also just looks almost similar but reverse to the current Dorset flag except it’s a red banner on white cross for theirs

A0F453A4-361B-4F89-B4CD-F7B673FE75DE.jpeg

and also the Nordic Cross which is exactly the same flag as both the former Orkney Nordic Cross and the former Kalmar Union of Scandinavia aswell as a reverse Skåneland flag for that matter

95118C28-5C29-4A47-9C42-4AB69464A59F.png

and if Danelaw still existed for that matter then the Danelaw Flag would have some Scandinavian colours which is actually basically the Danish and the Skåneland (Swedish province) merged in the style of the Norwegian and Icelandic flags

31D417C0-0A6C-46AA-B984-CD61B49133E6.jpeg

The flag of Northern England by jamiethebb on Reddit with the basic colours of Red for Lancashire and Yellow for Northumberland and Blue for Yorkshire even tho as they have White as their national Rose colour but anyways and it is very similar to the current Orkney Nordic Cross flag

338F910E-C07D-4DBC-BC28-E84F6C7B1875.png

then my personal idea of a completely new but renamed nation of Pennineland which i created as it suits the geography wise of our country and which is more biogeography based as the Pennine Mountains dominating the backbone of Northern England with the flag having both Normal and Nordic Crosses with the Blue for Ocean, Sky and Scottish Proximities and the Green for Land, Mountains and Welsh Proximities and the White for Peace and Red for the Blood of those who thought between Lancashire and Yorkshire during the War of the Roses and it is almost similar to the new Lincolnshire flag just without the Fluer-de-Lis in the middle but entirely Top Blue and Bottom Green instead

CC42B666-B4A7-49E6-BB89-936748431F42.jpeg

and then the same flag again but upside down with Top Green and Bottom Blue instead

0EF0E626-ABC7-4A08-BB7F-BE8449C9E698.jpeg

and other nations I created in this case such as if the rest of England had become their own separate regions and changed names and regional flags as Mercia and Anglia merging into Angliamercia with the Flag being exactly the same as the British Union Jack with the English St George’s Cross but with Mercian St Alban’s Yellow Satire instead replacing the Scottish White St Andrew’s and Irish Red St Patrick’s colours

DD790315-1461-4A60-9354-B93CBAC6DA8D.jpeg

and then Kingdoms of Wessex, Sussex, Essex, Kent in Southern England merging into Kentwessex with the flag being exactly the same as the English St George’s but with a Golden banner on it representing the English Lions of Wessex and Sussex

2F55AD72-26C4-45BF-AB4D-94938016B51B.jpeg

and again as for Cornwall and Devon or Former Dunmonia since their more culturally Celtic along with Brittany in France with it having just the same Cornish flag but with a Golden banner included representing either English Lions or the unified union with the Welsh St David’s pre Dragon flag colours

C188FE0E-C54F-4140-8E21-42DE400996DE.jpeg

All in all the moral of the story is i think we have our own special regions specifically all in and around England from long gone ancient kingdoms still with differences between the North and the South divide to this day with Viking Saxons Celts tribes as being most prominent especially when it comes to rivalry between counties or neighbouring countries

Last edited:
I love the idea, especially if Mercia ends up with the north, but that's partly personal Brummie-plus-anti-London bias...

I really like the naming idea @Analytical Engine , Anglia/England to the north and Saxony/Bressex to the south. I tried to find an overarching term for the Saxons that matched the existing West- / East- / Middle- + -sex pattern. Old English 'brēd' as a Saxon dialect variant of 'brād', i.e. modern 'broad', came to mind, as used in the OTL term for the first-among-equals of the pre-Norman kings, 'bretwalda'. So 'Brēdseaxe' could mean 'all the Saxons', and erode to Bressex over time.

@aotearoa444 did you imagine this being a division in place since pre-Norman times, or a later one based on the mediaeval Norroy vs Surroy (or Canterbury vs York archbishoprics) admin split? Would there still be a Norman invasion and conquest? It had an immense effect on population distribution for north vs south and also a massive impact on the language so likely guesses for where the capital would settle and what names would be in use vary greatly depending on that. My money would still be on York for a northern capital though, it's been a focal point city for nigh-on 2000 years. There are very good reasons that it was a capital for both Northumbria and the Vikings, and why it became the seat of an archbishop, after all.

@Battlestar_Cydonia yes i did i've always wondered what it would be like if we still held the Ancient Kingdoms today, however i can agree on the capital being York even but i feel Leeds or Manchester would be the main cities even under Danelaw era

btw ive improved on some more of the flags

if Northumbria used the St Georges Cross style in thier flag
Northumbria St Georges Cross.png

if Northumbria used thier very own St Aidens Cross with the same Purple and Golden colours from of the traditional Northumbrian Stripes flag
Northumbria St Aidens Cross.png

if Northern England and the Midlands merged with both St Albans Saltire and St Aidens Cross together
Mercumbria St Albans Saltire St Adians Cross.jpg

if Mercia St Albans Saltire was included in the Union Flag instead with the St Georges Cross it is very simular to both the previous and current Union Flag of today
Angliamercia St Albans Saltire St Georges Cross.jpg

the traditional Mercia St Albans Saltire plain flag
Mercia St Albans Saltire.png

if Mercia had the Anglia Emblym incorprated
Angliamercia St Albans Cross Anglia Emblym.png

if Mercia St Albans Saltire with the Anglia Emblym and the St Georges Cross was all incoprated on the Union Flag
Angliamercia Emblym.png

the traditional Anglia Emblym and St Georges Cross plain flag
Anglia St Georges Cross.png

if Anglia joined with Wessex and the Home Counties
Angliawessex St Georges Cross.jpg

if Southern England had the Emblyms of Wessex Kent Sussex Essex all incorprated
Kentwessex St Georges Cross.jpg

and as for Modern Pennineland version aswell

Top Blue and Bottom Green with St Georges Cross for Northern England
Pennineland St Georges Cross.png

Top Blue and Bottom Green with St Aidens Cross to keep Northumbrian colours present
Pennineland St Aidens Cross.png

but on second thoughts im not sure if Pennineland would have being a catchy name like Canadia for Canada or Kealand or Kealandia for New Zealand im just going by Geographic region like Cascadia is to the north west angle ie Oregon and Washington state and British Columbia province