If General Belgrano isn't sunk, how long does she last and what happens to her?

As the title says, if General Belgrano isn't sunk, either because there's no war or because the carrier is out and gets bagged instead, how long would she stay in Argentine service?
Once she leaves Argentine service, is there any chance of retrieving her as a museum ship; she is the only real WARSHIP, as opposed to a coast guard cutter, to have been at Pearl on December 7, 1941.

Riain

Banned
As the title says, if General Belgrano isn't sunk, either because there's no war or because the carrier is out and gets bagged instead, how long would she stay in Argentine service?
Once she leaves Argentine service, is there any chance of retrieving her as a museum ship; she is the only real WARSHIP, as opposed to a coast guard cutter, to have been at Pearl on December 7, 1941.

Perhaps the US could do a trade in, or part payment for a new ship or other arms transfer as a way of getting her back.

Ramontxo

Donor
I strongly suspect it is the Falkland/Malvinas war they are referring here. And the Belgrano was in an pincer attack against the British Fleet (the other element of the pince being the Argentinian Carrier). If by any shenanigans no British sub closes on it, no Harrier attack is send against him the exocets on some of the RN frigates are going to be used. And whatever their capabilities against an WW2 cruiser armoured belt, the supestructure is going to burn.

Last edited:
I was thinking about the possibility of her not being destroyed or heavily damaged at the Falklands. Instead, she is still around until Argentina decides to decommission her. How long will Argentina keep the general Belgrano in-service, and is there a chance the United States would try to get her back as a museum ship? I should have been clearer

I was thinking about the possibility of her not being destroyed or heavily damaged at the Falklands. Instead, she is still around until Argentina decides to decommission her. How long will Argentina keep the general Belgrano in-service, and is there a chance the United States would try to get her back as a museum ship? I should have been clearer
Given the state of their navy, if they try and keep her in service I imagine her material state might be pretty bad by the time they will decommission her. I mean this is the navy that had a Type 42 sink in port, what might happen to a WW2 hull?

Given the state of their navy, if they try and keep her in service I imagine her material state might be pretty bad by the time they will decommission her. I mean this is the navy that had a Type 42 sink in port, what might happen to a WW2 hull?
Is there any reasonable chance of her coming home to be a museum ship, because she survived Pearl Harbor? (The timeline I'm working on has a 1980's United States that has mostly recovered from Vietnam and more willing than in OTL to celebrate the deeds of the armed forces.)

Is there any reasonable chance of her coming home to be a museum ship, because she survived Pearl Harbor? (The timeline I'm working on has a 1980's United States that has mostly recovered from Vietnam and more willing than in OTL to celebrate the deeds of the armed forces.)
Given how long they kept Veinticinco de Mayo even after she was inoperable, I'm sure that the US might have a chance, though again what state she would be in is another question, and what the US offers? Given the UKs stance on blocking as much as possible any military hardware, I suppose it would have to be a purely economic package to get her?

If a rich eccentric with ecxcellent connections in the USA, but none in Argentina, wanted to buy the ship for cold hard cash, how many millions are we talking about in mid '80's money?
Assuming the papers are such that the ship won't suddenly do something ridiculous like become the flagship of the Royal Jordanian Navy...it's clearly intended as a museum ship.