If Ford wins in 1976, who's the Democratic Nominee in 1980?

Has anyone here actually properly narrowed down anyone who could successfully take the nomination? We're going for a loop here, lol.
People have offered names which they think are plausible and aren't. There's rarely a consensus on this board so you'll have to work off what you think is are the plausible arguments. But by your username if you're waiting for someone to make an argument for Kennedy, then I think there is an actual loose but wide consensus on here that he wouldn't have run in an open 1980.

You can't say for certain that this person or that is guaranteed the nomination because there are so many unknowns over a four year stretch of divergences. Particularly in the early years of the modern primary system, it's often just about who has a staff who are best at figuring out how the system works, which is why Carter was the nominee and why George Bush won Iowa in 1980 and became the main opponent of Reagan, despite Baker being more favoured by a lot of the moderate establishment. There is a lot of chance and a lot of variables at work.

Last edited:
You only have to look at the recent history of the British Conservative party in power since 2010 to see how they have built a new coalition, or how the party recovered post-Suez under Macmillan. In both cases they won landsl
It was Labour that was the governing party when the Global Financial Crisis broke out, which was automatically a big advantage for the Tories. In other words, the Tories benefited from being in Opposition in 2008-2010 - their job now simply was attacking Labour on the financial crisis.

It was Labour that was the governing party when the Global Financial Crisis broke out, which was automatically a big advantage for the Tories. In other words, the Tories benefited from being in Opposition in 2008-2010 - their job now simply was attacking Labour on the financial crisis.
I don't want to derail the thread, but CJF's point was that the Tories have grown in strength continuously since 2010, while being in power.

I don't want to derail the thread, but CJF's point was that the Tories have grown in strength continuously since 2010, while being in power.
Because since 2010 voters no longer trusted Labour on the economy, and later on the most important current event also hurts and divides Labour much more than Tories.