If Disney wasn't the king of animation

After the success of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, other animation studios like Warner Brothers, Universal, and Terrytoons wanted to make animated feature films of their own, with Fleischer releasing Gulliver's Travels and Mr. Bug Goes to Town. However, Pinocchio, Fantasia, Mr. Bug, and Bambi didn't do very well thanks to the war, causing the other studios to cancel those plans. Disney themselves didn't do real movies again until Cinderella, only doing package films throughout most of the forties, and it would be a long time until other animation studios were able to make feature films that could compete with Disney.

So, let's imagine a timeline where somehow, Pinocchio, Fantasia, Mr. Bug, and Bambi are more successful than they are IOTL. Maybe this is the result of a lesser WW2, though that would probably have effects on other stuff besides just popular culture that I'm not interested in focusing on. If no one can come up with a plausible reason for these films being more successful, then maybe we can move this to Alien Space Bats.

Other animation studios end up releasing their own feature films ITTL, and some of them are successful enough to compete with Disney. And I don't wanna hear any crap about how only Disney could create convincing character animation. If that were true, the Warner Brothers cartoons wouldn't be as beloved as they are today.

Here's what I think each individual studio would do.

Disney
If Fantasia is more successful, then Walt would definitely go with his original plan of adding a new segment every year. And Dumbo was made IOTL primarily to make up for the losses of Pinocchio and Fantasia, so if those films are successful, does that mean Dumbo would be butterflied?

Films I think Disney would make in this timeline include earlier and different versions of Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan, a sequel to Bambi titled Bambi's Children, Don Quixote, and the film ideas that were turned into segments in Fun and Fancy Free and The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad. (Bongo, Mickey and the Beanstalk, The Wind and the Willows, and The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Though Bongo was originally intended as a followup to Dumbo, complete with the titular character escaping from the same circus, so if Dumbo is butterflied away, does that mean Bongo would as well?) If Disney is less involved in the war ITTL, would Saludos Amigos and The Three Caballeros still be made?

Most importantly, if Disney has more competition, would the Disney theme parks even get made? That would have a HUGE effect on TTL, as the reason theme parks are as popular as they are today is mainly due to Disney.

Warner Brothers
I don't know what kind of feature films WB was planning at the time, but I heard Bob Clampett wanted to do a film adaptation of John Carter during the thirties, so maybe that would be their first movie? I imagine, like their shorts, Warner Brother's films would be comedic parodies of what Disney is doing, a formula that becomes so successful that even Disney starts to copy it. (Basically making WB sort of a proto-Dreamworks.)

Interestingly enough, Dr. Seuss actually had a connection to Warner Brothers at the time, like Bob Clampett's adaptation of Horton Hatches the Egg, and Seuss writing for the Private Snafu shorts. Maybe ITTL, he stays at WB as a writer and artist there. And maybe some of his popular children's books like Horton Hears a Who and How the Grinch Stole Christmas are turned into feature films. Maybe The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T., a live-action film IOTL, is an animated film ITTL.

MGM
Not entirely sure what they would do. Would Tex Avery move from Warner Brothers to there like IIOTL? Would Will Hanna and Joseph Barbera leave during the fifties like IOTL, or would they stay and continue to produce Tom and Jerry, among other things?

Would Bill and Joe do a Charlotte's Web adaptation, like IOTL, or would Gene Deitch do it instead, like the original plan?

Fleischer
If Mr. Bug Goes to Town is more successful, than Fleischer would probably not shut down and turn into Famous Studios like IOTL. I imagine Fleischer's next film after Mr. Bug would be a Superman film, given that one of their final projects IOTL was those Superman shorts. And maybe after that, they would do an adaptation of another DC property, like Batman.

Even if Famous Studios doesn't exist, would the characters still be created? Would Casper, Little Audrey, and Baby Huey be Fleischer characters instead?

Interestingly enough, in 1948, Max Fleischer was commissioned by Montgomery Ward to make a Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer short film IOTL. This was based more on the short story by Robert L. May, as the song was released a year after the short and later added to it in 1951.

Maybe Rudolph could be a feature film ITTL? Maybe the song was written specifically for this film, and the plot is a mixture of Dumbo (if it was butterflied) and the 1964 Rudolph special from OTL.

Universal
Walter Lantz wanted to do an animated film adaptation of Aladdin starring Abbott and Costello. I suspect they were going to play the two genies, because if you remember the original folktale, there was a Genie of the Ring and a Genie of the Lamp. Not sure what they would do afterwards.

Columbia Pictures
Screen Gems weren't as well-known and popular in this time, so I don't know if they would do features or not.

I'm not even sure if UPA would exist, since UPA was made partially because of the Disney Animator's Strike, and the Disney Animator's Strike was caused mainly because of Pinocchio and Fantasia flopping. So if UPA doesn't exist, then someone has to invent the flat and stylized cartoon style in their place. Maybe Disney? John Hubley, the founder of UPA, started out at Disney, and Ward Kimball, one of the Nine Old Men, clearly enjoyed animating in that style.

Terrytoons
Terrytoons wanted to do a film adaptation of King Lear starring one of their characters, Farmer Alfalfa. I imagine, just like their shorts, their films would be relatively cheap and low-quality, but would be successful anyway, like an early version of Illumination.

----

So, what do you think so far? Any suggestions?

I've also been thinking that maybe ITTL, the animation age ghetto wouldn't be as strong as it is IOTL, and thus there'd be more animation for adults, especially after the Hays Code is lifted. And these adult animated films would probably be actually ADULT, and not just over-the-top raunchy and vulgar like the adult animation IOTL.

Is Disney is not the king of animation is because Dreamworks made a democratic coup and declared the republic. Unfortunely, Ilumination and their Minions paramlitary made a counter coup to impose a dictatorship of awful sequels

But in all seriousness, I see Warner Bros taking the place of Disney if Disney's supremacy of the animation market is butterflied away.

I recently came up with the idea that Disney goes into television animation during the fifties and sixties with Ward Kimball leading the television department. And then after Walt dies, Disney ends up having to shut down their feature film department during the seventies and focus entirely on television animation, with Warner Brothers taking their place as the main producer of animated features.

I know that Fleischer and Warner Brothers cartoons were more adult than Disney's cartoons, so maybe after the Hays code is lifted, Fleischer and WB start to make adult animated films, especially since they don't have Disney's family-friendly stigma limiting them. I imagine they wouldn't be as over-the-top raunchy as the Ralph Bakshi stuff IOTL, since as I mentioned before, the animation age ghetto isn't as strong, and thus there isn't really a stigma to subvert.

Maybe WB's adult animated films cause Dr. Seuss to leave, because I heard that after the failure of his book The Seven Lady Godivas, he never wanted to write exclusively for adults again. (Though he DID write those Private Snafu shorts, which were pretty adult.)

On the subject of Ralph Bakshi, maybe he would leave Terrytoons to work at WB or Fleischer instead of going independent. And what about Don Bluth? I doubt he'd want to work at Disney's television department, and I don't know if he would want to work at WB or Fleischer since he preferred doing Snow White and Pinocchio-type films. Maybe if MGM does Charlotte's Web like I mentioned before, Bluth would work there?

I've also been thinking that maybe ITTL, the animation age ghetto wouldn't be as strong as it is IOTL, and thus there'd be more animation for adults, especially after the Hays Code is lifted. And these adult animated films would probably be actually ADULT, and not just over-the-top raunchy and vulgar like the adult animation IOTL.
If that's the case, maybe Ralph Bakshi is far more successful than OTL

What the difference between Disney and Paramount, Warner Bros., and MGM is that Disney is an independent studio relying on first United Artists then RKO for distribution for their films while the others had their own chain of theaters.
Up until the early sixties the major studios would have before the main feature a newsreel, live action short, and a cartoon all produced by that studio so there was no need to make a full length animated films.
Disney had to go with making full length films because while the short films were profitable it was at a very low margin for them.
Disney went in to live action films after the war because they were desperate for money and films like Treasure island and a series of Robin Hood films that were made in Great Britain was because of the post war currency restrictions and that was the only way that Disney could get to use their money.

I heard that Disney originally planned some of their sixties films like Babes in Toyland and Mary Poppins as animated films. Since there's less of an animation age ghetto ITTL, maybe they end up being animated as planned?

And maybe Star Wars would be an animated film too, made by Warner Brothers, Fleischer, or MGM, like in that "American Magic" project.

When thinking about the kinds of TV shows Disney would make ITTL, I thought maybe they would make adaptations of Carl Barks' duck comics, making basically an early version of DuckTales. Maybe they would also make followups to the Winnie the Pooh shorts, making an early version of The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh show.

Since UPA was butterflied away, that means there's no Gay Purr-ee ITTL, and therefore Chuck Jones was never fired from Warner Brothers. And if Disney's The Jungle Book was butterflied away, does that mean Jones would do his own more faithful Jungle Book adaptation? (IOTL, he made short TV specials of The White Seal, Rikki-Tikki-Tavi, and Mowgli's Brothers, but maybe ITTL he would make a feature-length Jungle Book film.)

Also, since Dr. Seuss works as a writer and artist at Warner Brothers, does that mean he never became known as a children's book author ITTL?

Another realization I had: would Mickey Mouse be as popular a character ITTL? Because a lot of people complain about him being really bland and safe compared to other contemporary characters like Popeye and Bugs Bunny, and even his fellow Disney characters like Goofy and Donald. The only reason he became as famous as he is IOTL is because Walt loved him so much and kept trying to push him into the public's eye.

If the other studios like Fleischer and Warner Brothers were as similarly high on the totem pole as Disney, Mickey might be less popular in the public mind in favor of the other aforementioned characters. And after Walt's death, I can see Disney deciding to abandon Mickey completely, resulting in either Donald, Goofy, or some other character being the new mascot of the company.

Maybe have Studio Ghibli gain more prominence in the West before the Disney Renaissance. That would atleast take some of the spotlight away from Disney.

What do you mean, exactly? I think you mean THEATRICAL animation. Disney's always had competitors, but, when it comes to full-length animation, they used to be the only game. That's mainly because animation is EXPENSIVE. Really expensive. Heck, most of Disney's movies weren't that successful, even the ones that weren't released during World Wars. Sleeping Beauty, despite being a massive hit, cost so much to make that it couldn't return on it even with a great box office. Disney made most of its money off of two things: Namely, toys, which, pre-Star Wars, didn't tend to be a big thing for movies, and theme parks. That means that smaller studios, who didn't have those alternate revenue streams, were content to let Disney keep control. But then, in the late 80s, advances in computer animation made making feature-length animation cheaper and quicker. Not much so, but enough that Disney was able to capitalize on it and start the streak of glory that was The Renaissance. But, in the process, they gave the public a hunger for animation, and other studios, since it was no longer prohibitively expensive, started muscling in, like Pixar, Dreamworks, and dozens of other lesser-names. Point being, if you want someone other than DIsney making animation, you need to make animation itself less expensive

What do you mean, exactly? I think you mean THEATRICAL animation. Disney's always had competitors, but, when it comes to full-length animation, they used to be the only game. That's mainly because animation is EXPENSIVE. Really expensive. Heck, most of Disney's movies weren't that successful, even the ones that weren't released during World Wars. Sleeping Beauty, despite being a massive hit, cost so much to make that it couldn't return on it even with a great box office. Disney made most of its money off of two things: Namely, toys, which, pre-Star Wars, didn't tend to be a big thing for movies, and theme parks. That means that smaller studios, who didn't have those alternate revenue streams, were content to let Disney keep control. But then, in the late 80s, advances in computer animation made making feature-length animation cheaper and quicker. Not much so, but enough that Disney was able to capitalize on it and start the streak of glory that was The Renaissance. But, in the process, they gave the public a hunger for animation, and other studios, since it was no longer prohibitively expensive, started muscling in, like Pixar, Dreamworks, and dozens of other lesser-names. Point being, if you want someone other than DIsney making animation, you need to make animation itself less expensive

Like I said in the original post, Fleischer made feature films of their own, and other studios wanted to do so, and only stopped due to WW2.

Like I said in the original post, Fleischer made feature films of their own, and other studios wanted to do so, and only stopped due to WW2.
Yeah...One of which went exceedingly over-budget, and the other of which was a financial flop.

Maybe have Studio Ghibli gain more prominence in the West before the Disney Renaissance. That would atleast take some of the spotlight away from Disney.

The main reason Ghibli gained prominence here is because of Disney, and that didn't happen till the 2000s. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind was released here as the bastardized Warriors of the Wind in the eighties, which was a total disaster. Maybe ITTL, Hayao Miyazaki becomes so pissed about this that he refuses to give any of his future films (or any other Ghibli film) official releases in the west? Because of this, they only become popular among anime fans.

Last edited:
Not entirely sure what they would do. Would Tex Avery move from Warner Brothers to there like IIOTL? Would Will Hanna and Joseph Barbera leave during the fifties like IOTL, or would they stay and continue to produce Tom and Jerry, among other things?
Perhaps we could see OTL's Hanna-Barbera properties like Yogi Bear with better animation.

Another realization I had: would Mickey Mouse be as popular a character ITTL? Because a lot of people complain about him being really bland and safe compared to other contemporary characters like Popeye and Bugs Bunny, and even his fellow Disney characters like Goofy and Donald. The only reason he became as famous as he is IOTL is because Walt loved him so much and kept trying to push him into the public's eye.

If the other studios like Fleischer and Warner Brothers were as similarly high on the totem pole as Disney, Mickey might be less popular in the public mind in favor of the other aforementioned characters. And after Walt's death, I can see Disney deciding to abandon Mickey completely, resulting in either Donald, Goofy, or some other character being the new mascot of the company.
The problem with Mickey is that he's a very difficult character to write for, it's not easy to do a good story with him, but when it is, it's generally better than other characters. And Walt will never change his mascot.

I was thinking maybe ITTL, Tex Avery stays at Warner Brothers, and Bob Clampett is the one who leaves (shortly after doing his John Carter movie) due to his rivalry with Chuck Jones. IOTL, he did one cartoon for Republic Pictures called "It's a Grand Old Nag", starring a character called Charlie Horse who he was planning on doing more stuff with, but never did.

Maybe ITTL, he joins MGM instead? And he ends up creating more Charlie Horse cartoons there, and hopefully also making more cartoons with Hay-Dy La Mare in them and developing her character further.