If Britain never passed the Nationality Act of 1948

Because during the 70s, both the economic recession and deindustrialization caused a lot of those migrants to lose their jobs. Not to mention the large cultural gap between Europeans and non-Europeans. So in retrospect, it would’ve been much easier to simply repatriate them with payment rather than dealing with the issues associated with integration, poverty, and unemployment within those communities that still persist up until this day.

I find it "doubtful" that repatriating Millions of people would be "easier", and given the influx of former colonial peoples who couldn't go home, you'd still have issues.

I think the British would need to import workers from elsewhere. Ireland did not import workers in 1948. it still has become multicultural.

Well yeah basically we faced the same issues (need for workforce) that others faced just much later on (and the fact that we had 100K of Brits anyway), I was actually surprised tonight on the News that there's about 600K multilingual households in Ireland not counting Irish/English...

kernals12

Banned
If the British Nationality Act of 1948(which allowed hundreds of thousands of Jamaicans, Indians, Pakistanis, and Bengalis to permanently settle in Britain) was never passed, would Britain be a more conservative, homogenous country like Poland or Hungary considering that they never would've had to become a multicultural society to accomadate those immigrants?
There was a study done in the United States which found that whites who are told that America will become majority minority by 2043 are more likely to adopt conservative viewpoints. And there is much evidence of that in American politics. Republicans now get 90% of the White vote in the deep south. It's a reason why we still don't have universal healthcare or even paid maternity leave. Based on that, Britain would be less conservative if the Nationality Act didn't get passed.

Deleted member 6086

Because during the 70s, both the economic recession and deindustrialization caused a lot of those migrants to lose their jobs. Not to mention the large cultural gap between Europeans and non-Europeans. So in retrospect, it would’ve been much easier to simply repatriate them with payment rather than dealing with the issues associated with integration, poverty, and unemployment within those communities that still persist up until this day.

Considering that every American not of native origin is a descendant of immigrants (or an actual immigrant) from often diverse societies (especially in recent waves), I dispute the fact that immigration is a bad thing.

Germany would be a less vibrant place without these people. Same with France and other countries in Western Europe.

kernals12

Banned
Considering that every non-Native American is a descendant of immigrants (or an actual immigrant) from often diverse societies (especially in recent waves), I dispute the fact that immigration is a bad thing.

Germany would be a less vibrant place without these people. Same with France and other countries in Western Europe.
Immigration is a good thing, the backlash against it is a very bad thing.

John Davis

Banned
I find it "doubtful" that repatriating Millions of people would be "easier", and given the influx of former colonial peoples who couldn't go home, you'd still have issues.

“Millions” is an exaggeration. By the time that immigration was resistricted with the Commonwealth Immigrants Act of 1962, the number of immigrants in the UK was probably around 300k. Although, it would’ve been around 100k if the number of migrants allowed in had been limited(which I mentioned as part of my ATL in a previous comment). Also, could you give an example for the latter?

Yeah, that German guest worker program has certainly prevented the development of a multicultural society.

51GEub5nKEL.jpg

As @Ingsoc says, those guest workers are going to settle down in Britain, marry, have children and lead to pretty much the same situation as if the British Nationality Act had been passed.

That looks unwatchable.

I think the British would need to import workers from elsewhere.

Indeed. The question is where the British would be able to import workers from, would the rest of the Anglosphere (potentially including the US) and post-war Western Europe along with possibly Latin America be able to make up for the shortfall via an ATL British Nationality Act of 1948?

That looks unwatchable.

He’s actually quite good. Similar in style to some of Lenny Henry’s sketch comedy.

Indeed. The question is where the British would be able to import workers from, would the rest of the Anglosphere (potentially including the US) and post-war Western Europe along with possibly Latin America be able to make up for the shortfall via an ATL British Nationality Act of 1948?

As far as the Anglosphere was concerned, the migration was in the other direction. See the Ten Pound Poms for example.

Without immigration from the Commonwealth another group, such as the Poles, could be faced with prejudice.

For 'could' read were. There was a great deal of prejudice against Poles in the immediate post-war period. Unions, for example, called for them to repatriated. I know of examples of Poles being sacked because they worked too hard and caused resentment amongst British workers.

Because during the 70s, both the economic recession and deindustrialization caused a lot of those migrants to lose their jobs. Not to mention that a large cultural gap existed between Europeans and non-Europeans. So in retrospect, it would’ve been much easier to simply repatriate them with payment rather than dealing with the issues associated with integration, poverty, and unemployment within those communities that still persist up until this day.
Repatriate them to where? Many hadnt been to their home country in decades, and plenty were second generation by that point.

If there were limitations, I wonder if you'd see even more Irish movement over to make up some of the shortfall in population/workers?
. Almost certainly. Labour shortages would increase wages and the economic drivers would be even higher. OTOH labour shortages would probably reduce Trade Union and civil service resistance to modernisation because of the fear it would cost jobs which (among lots of other things admittedly) bedevilled the post war British economy. So possibly demand actually marginally less than OTL?

On the other hand, it does have the advantage of being somewhat cheaper than chartering a ship or an aircraft.

Even better - give them a travel card. That way you can repatriate the same person several times a week and the stats will look really good.

Even better - give them a travel card. That way you can repatriate the same person several times a week and the stats will look really good.

Yeah but then the Daily Fail's head explodes while trying to complain about giving them the card, while supporting them being repatriated...

Because during the 70s, both the economic recession and deindustrialization caused a lot of those migrants to lose their jobs. Not to mention that a large cultural gap existed between Europeans and non-Europeans. So in retrospect, it would’ve been much easier to simply repatriate them with payment rather than dealing with the issues associated with integration, poverty, and unemployment within those communities that still persist up until this day.

Can you clarify what you mean by "cultural gap" between Europeans and "non-Europeans"?

It's pretty clear when you compare European countries that immigration policy has less to do with multiculturalism than economic opportunity does. The reason Britain isn't as homogenous and xenophobic as Poland and Hungary is that it isn't as poor as Poland and Hungary and didn't spend 40 years cut off from the rest of the world.

kernals12

Banned
. Almost certainly. Labour shortages would increase wages and the economic drivers would be even higher. OTOH labour shortages would probably reduce Trade Union and civil service resistance to modernisation because of the fear it would cost jobs which (among lots of other things admittedly) bedevilled the post war British economy. So possibly demand actually marginally less than OTL?
There is no such thing as a labor shortage. The demand for labor is created by the demand for goods and services. If you have fewer people, you have less demand for goods and services.