If Al Gore wins in 2000 and 2004, is Joe Lieberman or Hillary Clinton going to be 2008 Dem nominee?

Foxx

Banned
If Al Gore wins in 2000 and 2004, is Joe Lieberman or Hillary Clinton going to be 2008 Democratic presidential nominee? Or is it going to be neither of those two?

My guess would be Hillery. Lieberman I don't see winning the primaries. But I could see Hillary not running in 08 playing the odds that 08 would be a heavy GOP year no matter what 16 years of one party control after all

Foxx

Banned
My guess would be Hillery. Lieberman I don't see winning the primaries. But I could see Hillary not running in 08 playing the odds that 08 would be a heavy GOP year no matter what 16 years of one party control after all
Is the GOP win in 2008 going to be evident in 2007 when it's decision time to run, though?

Is the GOP win in 2008 going to be evident in 2007 when it's decision time to run, though?
Depends the economy, but if 911 happens them i can see the overspending stimulus to avoid a crash delaying the crash to the 2006-2008 era like OTL, if not...well dotcom bubble will be a more big hit for gore and co...still 2004 is winnable, 2008 might no.

Foxx

Banned
Depends the economy, but if 911 happens them i can see the overspending stimulus to avoid a crash delaying the crash to the 2006-2008 era like OTL, if not...well dotcom bubble will be a more big hit for gore and co...still 2004 is winnable, 2008 might no.
Can Al Gore actually pass a stimulus package through a GOP-controlled Congress, though?

Deleted member 16736

Assuming the Gore administration isn't a total disaster, Lieberman's reputation by 2008 will be a lot better than it was IOTL. By clinging tightly to one or two of Gore's more-popular progressive positions he'll probably be able to stave off a serious challenge from the left (which wouldn't be where Hillary was attacking from, anyway.) HRC, if she's still in the senate and not in the administration, probably knows her best bet is to wait another four or eight years for her own shot against a less formidable foe than the VP of the United States.

Can Al Gore actually pass a stimulus package through a GOP-controlled Congress, though?
Possible, the GOP will whine and will want even more tax cuts gore could agree but they needed...if want to save their own candidate for 2008...

Foxx

Banned
Assuming the Gore administration isn't a total disaster, Lieberman's reputation by 2008 will be a lot better than it was IOTL. By clinging tightly to one or two of Gore's more-popular progressive positions he'll probably be able to stave off a serious challenge from the left (which wouldn't be where Hillary was attacking from, anyway.) HRC, if she's still in the senate and not in the administration, probably knows her best bet is to wait another four or eight years for her own shot against a less formidable foe than the VP of the United States.
FWIW, Joe Biden--in spite of him being Obama's VP--simply wasn't a formidable enough force against Hillary in 2016, which is why he never even bothered running that year. Why would Joe Lieberman (aka the other VP Joe) be any different?

Foxx

Banned
Possible, the GOP will whine and will want even more tax cuts gore could agree but they needed...if want to save their own candidate for 2008...
Gore was a fiscal conservative and thus would have probably been unwilling to agree to the GOP's budget-busting tax cuts, though.

Gore was a fiscal conservative and thus would have probably been unwilling to agree to the GOP's budget-busting tax cuts, though.
Excatly, when he might a minor stimulus post 911, the tax cuts would make otl great recession far worse in the political football arena

Deleted member 16736

FWIW, Joe Biden--in spite of him being Obama's VP--simply wasn't a formidable enough force against Hillary in 2016, which is why he never even bothered running that year. Why would Joe Lieberman (aka the other VP Joe) be any different?

Hillary Clinton was in a much different/stronger position in 2015-16 than she would have been in 2007-08 in this scenario. By 2015 she had been the runner-up to Barack Obama in 2008 and then gone on to serve a relatively successful stint as his Secretary of State, even getting chatter in 2012 about replacing the gaffe-prone Biden given her popularity and success. After her tenure at State she got to work on the back-room politicking to lock up donors and sideline potential rivals. I'm assuming that she is going to stay in the senate ITTL (she's not SoS material yet), so she would be in a position more similar to where she was IOTL 2007 instead of OTL 2015, making Lieberman too formidable/inevitable for her to effectively challenge.

I agree that Lieberman probably would’ve lost, but Biden has been pretty explicit that his son’s illness was a major cause of him not running in 2016.

Foxx

Banned
I agree that Lieberman probably would’ve lost, but Biden has been pretty explicit that his son’s illness was a major cause of him not running in 2016.
I'd be surprised if the Hillary factor was not on his mind at all, though.