Ichronic Color Scheme 1.0

EAST(ERN) ASIA & CHINA(S)

1) China: People Republic #AA381E; 170,56,30 (Chinese Red)
2) China: Imperial/Nationalist (Taiwan) #FADA5E; 250,218,94 (Chinese Imperial Yellow)
3) China: the Crossroads (Han) #5218FA; 82, 24, 250 (Han Purple)
4) China: the Refuge (Inner/Fantasy China/Yue) #D0DB61; 208, 219, 97 (Chinese Green)
5) China: the Metropolis (Ming) #36747D (Ming)
6) China: the Backdoor (Hong-Kong/Canton/Chinese Pirates/Warlords) #B7702D; 183,112,45 (Chinese yellow tea-colored (Kigaracha))
7) China: the Rust Belt (Manchu) #AB381F; 171, 56,31 (Chinese Brown)
8)
Mongolia #738678; 115, 134, 120 (Xanadu)
9) South Corea #203838; 32, 56, 56 (goryeo storeroom (kōrainando))
10) North Corea #DFC7C7; 223, 199, 199 (Inverted kōrainando)
11) Unified Corea #382020; 56, 32, 32
12) Vietnam #29AB87; 41, 171, 135 (Jungle Green)
13) Laos #856088; 133,96,136 (Chinese Violet)
14) Cambodia #E49B0F; 228,155,15 (Gamboge)
15) Thailand/Siam #A51931 165, 25, 49 (Thai Flag Red)*

*Optional; I originally intended to use the "Backdoor of China" color for Thailand as well, Thailand being a sort of crossroad between India, China and the Asian Southwest. But then I opted for a separate color. Which way do you think is more appropriate to represent Thailand, as a "Mighty Siam" or just as China's backdoor? Or maybe China's backdoor could be a secondary color for Thailand?

Last edited:
Hello guys, it looks we are closing in to the completion of the ICS, at least for the primary colors. But don't start drawing the palette just yet. Before we even begin to tackle the secondary colors, there are still three sections to discuss, and we are entering the areas of the world I know less about: Africa, India and the Pacific Rim. The last is the one that worries me less: there are three-four main players there (Australia, Japan, New Zealand and Indonesia) though maybe that needs to be enlarged to include the Ezo Republic and independent Hawaii. As always I'm open to suggestions.
Africa may need to be subdivided into smaller regions that have to be discussed separately, so I'm leaving it for last.
India? Well, that really confuses the Hel out of me. Is there anyone knowlwdgeable enough of pre-colonial Indian and African History that can throw me a life buoy?

Hello people, finally I have some time to resume working on this thread.
I haven't had the time to do much research, so take what I'm going to say with a grain of salt.
As usual, I'm open to suggestions, so feel free to comment
And now... let's go.

There are only three sections left to complete this thread: Pacific, India and Africa. Pacific may be the shortest, as it's more or less to Australasia what the Nordics is to Europe, but there may still be some need to expansion.
India... is Hel, meaning that's the mapmaker's nightmare. I won't even pretend to come close to the level of dept and precision of the other CSes here, unless some of you guys can enlighten me.
Africa. O Gods.
Well, part of it is already covered by Mediterranea and the Hispanosphere, but the rest might even need to be split in two or more (Help!).

Follows a deeper analysis of Pacific(a?)

The current major states in the Pacific Area are five: Australia, New Zealand, New Guinea, Indonesia and Japan. Possibly Brunei/Borneo may figure as sixth.
It would look like short work, but there are some issues.

The history of Australian aborigenes is, for the purpose of this (or any) CS is unmappable: lack of information notwithstanding, I'm not even sure that the Aborigenal concept of "Dream Time" is anyhow compatible with our concept of "History". As bad as it sounds, Terra Australis Incognita is going to stay Incognita.
A case might be made for the Maori of new Zealand, who may have been (or might become still) an independent nation of their own, perhaps doubbling for an independent Northern Island.
Speaking of which, an extra color may be useful for Ainu/Ezo/independent Hokkaido, maybe a reverse Mikado color.
I'm not sure an independent Hawaii might even have been a thing anytime in history, and even if it does, an independent Hawaiian nation wouldn't have much chances to create a sphere of influence of its own. An "Empire of the Islands" might have existed at some point however, and according to the Archaeologic theory of one Stephen Oppenheimer it did exist when the Lapita people created a stone age, canoe based commercial network throughout Austronesia.
So, do we need a Lapita color, and should it be the same or distinct from an eventual Hawaii color?

The current major states in the Pacific Area are five: Australia, New Zealand, New Guinea, Indonesia and Japan. Possibly Brunei/Borneo may figure as sixth.
It would look like short work, but there are some issues.

The history of Australian aborigenes is, for the purpose of this (or any) CS is unmappable: lack of information notwithstanding, I'm not even sure that the Aborigenal concept of "Dream Time" is anyhow compatible with our concept of "History". As bad as it sounds, Terra Australis Incognita is going to stay Incognita.
A case might be made for the Maori of new Zealand, who may have been (or might become still) an independent nation of their own, perhaps doubbling for an independent Northern Island.
Speaking of which, an extra color may be useful for Ainu/Ezo/independent Hokkaido, maybe a reverse Mikado color.
I'm not sure an independent Hawaii might even have been a thing anytime in history, and even if it does, an independent Hawaiian nation wouldn't have much chances to create a sphere of influence of its own. An "Empire of the Islands" might have existed at some point however, and according to the Archaeologic theory of one Stephen Oppenheimer it did exist when the Lapita people created a stone age, canoe based commercial network throughout Austronesia.
So, do we need a Lapita color, and should it be the same or distinct from an eventual Hawaii color?
Kingdom of Hawaii 1795-1893
Republic 1893-1900
Annexed by US 1900
Territory 1900-1959
US State 1959
It was only with British help that the islands were combined into the Kingdom of Hawaii so it could be argued you need colours for more than one independent Hawaiian state.
Despite the Union Jack in the canton of the flag Hawaii was not British, it was there to show friendship with Britain.

Kingdom of Hawaii 1795-1893
Republic 1893-1900
Annexed by US 1900
Territory 1900-1959
US State 1959
It was only with British help that the islands were combined into the Kingdom of Hawaii so it could be argued you need colours for more than one independent Hawaiian state.
Despite the Union Jack in the canton of the flag Hawaii was not British, it was there to show friendship with Britain.
Whoa... Thank you...

I'm switching the color for the Normans to 006E99. This leaves the current color open: I was thinking of using it for the Kingdom of Hawaii, but the color for the Visigoths is still hanging.
So, do you think that Diamond Blue is more suited for the Visigoths or Hawaii?

003BF3 (reverse Mikado Yellow) will be the color for Ainu/Ezo
Thinking of it, I'm not really satisfied with a blue Ezo. I think something red would be more like it. So how about 9D2933 (the "sun" color on the Japanese flag?) Would you support an alternative use for reverse Mikado (like, the Shogun for example, or a major player during the Sengoku period, or Independent Okinawa?)

Last edited:
The new color for New Zealand will be #fc1c03, to avoid for the Protectorate color to be all white.
Australia will remain #44D7A8 (Eucalyptus) and Papua New Guinea will be #4CB7A5 (Blue Lagoon)

Reverse Mikado blue will be the color for the Satsuma Rebellion or any secondary Japanese feudal player, OR the territory under control of a major Zaibatsu (in a Cyberpunk scenario) such as Arasaka. The red Japanese Color will be used for Ainu (outline, lighter color for single tribes/clans) or the Ezo Republic, doubling for an alternate Communist Japan.
I'm thinking of a similar red/blue contraposition for Corea, keeping the current Corea Color(s) as an extra.

A reverse New Zealand color will be used for independent North Island/Maori Kingdom (same rules as Hokkaido).

Diamond blue will be the color for Independent Hawaii, with a possible secondary color for secondary Hawaiian/Major Polinesian/Austronesian.

Indonesia/Nusantara/Australasia will keep its current color, as will Papua New Guinea.

Australia will be Eucalyptus Green.

List of codes to follow.

Planned projects:

1) Ichronic Color Scheme (ongoing)
2) Hyborian Age Color Scheme and annotated Chronology (derived from ICS, with repurposed colors)
3) The Mousetrap Timeline

PACIFICA (wip)

1) Japan: #FFC40C; 255, 196, 12 (Mikado Yellow)
2) Major Sengoku Daimyio/Satsuma Rebellion/Republican or Corporate Japan: #003BF3; 0, 59, 243 (Reverse Mikado Blue)
3) Ainu/Ezo/Communist Japan: #9D2933; 157, 41, 51 (Ja panese "Sun" Red)
4) Australia: #44D7A8; 68, 215, 168 (Eucalyptus)
5) New Zealand: #FC1C03; 252, 28, 3 (Deep Coral Red)
6) Independent North Island/Maori/Major Austronesian: #03E3FC; 3, 227, 252 (Inverted Deep Coral Blue)
7)
Papua-New Guinea: #4CB7A5; 76, 183, 165 (Blue Lagoon)*
8) Indonesia/Nusantara/Australasian: #3D325D; 61, 50, 93 (Jakarta)
9) Independent Hawaii: B9F2FF; 185, 242, 255 (Diamond)

* Would this color be better suited for a minor Hawaii/Polinesian?