Ichronic Color Scheme 1.0

ICS.png

Hello everybody, this is the thread for discussing and eventually perfecting the Ichronic Color scheme. First aim is to get from a colored map to a full palette.

Before we do that however, I'd like to go into the details of the CS itself.
As you can see at a glance, I took some radical departure from any existing color scheme, both in the choice of the colors themselves and its conceptual purpose and scope.

Let's start with the most obvious: as you can see, the Sea is black. Eery Black to be exact (Hex: #1B1B1B; RGB: 27, 27, 27).
That's because this CS is designed to fit a "Grim Dark" vision of History, both factual and alternate, in particular relating to Gothic Horror (I was reading LeFanu's Carmilla when I got the idea) Steampunk, Cyberpunk et similia.

To make the Coasts more visible in this contest, I made them full white (#FFFFFF; 255, 255, 255). As an added bonus, this makes the land masses look as nearly glowing or floating, like a ghostly 3D effect that I didn't really plan but decided to keep.

Also in this vein, the Border Color is Bone (E3DAC9; 227, 218, 201) while I made no adjustments to the inner and unrecognzed borders.

Unsettled Land finally is Earth Brown (#5D3A1A; 93, 58, 26) though I feel that may be a little too dark and I'm considering whether to lighten it in contrast with the sea

Last edited:
This'll be interesting. Although I do have to note that the "traditional" map colors are still here. Britain is still red, the US is still a greenish-blue, and France is still blue.

This'll be interesting. Although I do have to note that the "traditional" map colors are still here. Britain is still red, the US is still a greenish-blue, and France is still blue.

Yes... and no. France is French blue (#0072BB; 0, 114, 187) Britain is Queen Pink (#E8CCD7; 232, 204, 215) and the U.S. is Gotham Green (#125740; 18, 87, 64).
All of them are slightly darker than the "Traditional" colors, that are Teal, Pale Red and Bleu de France in most other CS.

I used the site Encycolorpedia for most of the references.

Last edited:
What I mean is that they retain the general hue, even if vastly different.

Indeed, that was done on purpose: French Blue is one of the traditional colors for France (hence the name) and Britain has always been a variation of Pink. For the U.S. I was undecided between various shades of Blue (Liberty, Independence) or green (ah-hem... Dollar Bill?).
In the end I used Yankee Blue for "Yankeedom", New York Pink for "New Netherlands" and Gotham Green for the whole U.S., because I liked the Idea of the President being Bruce Wayne :cool:

Last edited:

qazse

Gone Fishin'
Can I assist with this project? I made a visual colour guide based on that of the X2 colour scheme (still a WIP):
ics visual.png

Can I assist with this project? I made a visual colour guide based on that of the X2 colour scheme (still a WIP):
View attachment 657426
My deepest thanks. I'm taking some time to study it

EDIT: I'm kinda in a hurry and I cannot give you a precise answer, but the color in Arizona is Navajo White, so it goes for primary southern U.S. native, and the color of Louisiana is the same as Quebec, since both are identified as "New France" in the "11 Nations of North America".

Last edited:
My deepest thanks. I'm taking some time to study it

EDIT: I'm kinda in a hurry and I cannot give you a precise answer, but the color in Arizona is Navajo White, so it goes for primary southern U.S. native, and the color of Louisiana is the same as Quebec, since both are identified as "New France" in the "11 Nations of North America".
I apologize, now that I look at it better, I see you mentioned Quebec alone. Notice that it's the same color of Louisiana, which I collectively refer to as "New France". The New York Pink (DF837F; 215, 131, 127) represents "New Netherlands".
"Yankeedom" is basically New England "extended" all the way to Mississipi, usually Democrat, centered around Boston.

Thank you again

Last edited:
Just to be clear: part of this CS is based on a sociopolitical essay called "The Nine Nations of North America" (later reworked as "the Eleven Nations of the U.SA.") and a series of related articles titled "The Five Nations of Mexico" and "The Nine Nations of China".
All by various authors.

Here is the map by Colin Woodard
My rendering is a bit more approximate

A sum of the work done so far, including Qaze's corrections:

SECTION 1: North America

1) UNITED STATES OF AMERICA: Gotham Green
1a) CONFEDERATED STATES OF AMERICA (Deep South): Cadet Gray
1b) YANKEEDOM (New England/Republic of Vermont/Great Lakes/Traditionalist America/Corporate run or technocratic America/Lovecraft Country): Yankees Blue
1c) NEW NETHERLANDS (Independent New York/New York City-state/Mega City One): New York Pink
1d) TIDEWATER (Independent Virginia/ Aristocratic or Monarchic America/American Gothic): Pumpkin
1e) APPALACHIA (Militant or Militarist America/Libertarian/Independent Texas/Republic of Texas): Gunmetal Gray
1f) THE MIDWEST (Use normal American Color)
1g) THE FAR WEST (Also Major Natives): Navajo White
1h) THE LEFT COAST(Independent California/Radical America): Golden Gate Orange (Cascadia may require its own color, say, Columbia Blue?)

2) CANADA (Great North, though the Northern Natives may require their own color): Redwood
2a) NEW FRANCE (Independent Quebec, independent Louisiana/New Orleans, or any combination of both): French Rose (Should New Orleans have its own color?)

3) MEXICO ("New Spain"/Aztecs):Mexican Pink
3a EL NORTE (Rio Grande/Secondary Mexico, also Hispanic U.S.A.): Sangria (For Mexico City, use the Territorial color. For "Club Mex" use the protectorate color if needed)

SECTION 2: Central America and Caribbean (Major U.S. or Native Presence, the rest goes into HISPANIC SPHERE*)

1) GUATEMALA (Maya/Central America Union): Maya Blue
2) YUCATAN (South Mexico/Native Mexico/Mexican rebel or separatists, such as Poncho Villa or Zapata; Also use for: Minor Pre-Colombians, Tierra Libre**): Axolotl
3) HONDURAS: Banana Yellow
4) BELIZE: Avocado
5) NICARAGUA: Banana Mania
6) PANAMA: Saturated Banana
7) CUBA (United Caribbean not including Miami) Margarita
8) HAITI (Creole Nation/Pirate Haven/Miami City-state***) Caribbean Blue
9) DOMINICAN REPUBLIC (United Caribbean including Miami***): Caribbean Green
10) JAMAICA (Former Slave State, Non-Christian or Syncretic State, also use for Slave Uprising in any larger Caribbean state such as above, also within the U.S.A./C.S.A. or the British Empire)

* Should I put Peru/ Inca here? Or Venezuela?
** Generic 1980 action movie setting
*** Should I switch these two?

Last edited:
NEW PROPOSED COLORS FOR NORTH AMERICA:
Northern/Canadian Natives/Inuit: Artic Lime (#D0FF14; 208, 255, 20)
Cascadia: Columbia Blue (#C4D8E2; 196, 216, 226)

ADDED TO PALETTE: CENTRAL AMERICA/CARIBBEAN/(ANDES?)
Venezuela (Major U.S.A. influence): Spanish Bistre (#807532; 128, 117,50)
Suriname (Former Dutch Colony): Papaya whip (#FFEFD5; 255, 239, 213)
Guyana: Inverted Papaya whip (#00102A; 0, 16, 42)
Peru/Inca (Major Native Influence): Peru (#CD853F; 205, 113, 63)

NEEDED COLORS:
Venezuelan Rebels
"Fourth" Guyana

For the rest of South/Central America see: Hispanic Sphere (to follow)

Last edited:
Added: Cascadia, Inuit.
Plus: Radical Red for the Soviet Union, Saturated Spanish Viridian for Post-Colonial Spanish Guyana/Val Verde, and the reverse for South American Rebels

Attachments

• ICS.png
    ICS.png
    89.7 KB · Views: 495
STATE RIGHTS VS CITY-STATE LEFT

Before we leave the American Sector for the Hispanic Sphere, there is one last problem: some cities are so far removed from their surroundings that they would deserve their own color. Most of those are already covered (New York, San Francisco) for others, a compromise may be found (Dallas, Houston and San Antonio form the Texas Triangle, for which the normal Texas color may work; for Los Angeles/South California the EL Norte Color may also work; For Chicago, or rather the Chi-Pitts, the Yankeedom Color works just fine, while the Boswash area may be covered by an "enlarged" New York color).
I think that Phoenix and Denver should have a separate color, while I'm non sure if Miami and New Orleans should.

Opinions, suggestions, flames?

Last edited:
New Colors:

Florida/South Florida/Miami City-state: #3FC9D3; 63, 201, 211 (Inverted Golden Gate Orange)
Denver/Front Range: #004F98; 0, 79, 152 (USAFA Blue)
Phoenix/Arizona Sun Corridor: #D3AF37; 211, 175, 55 (American Gold)
New Orleans/Gulf Coast: #880085; 136, 0, 133 (Mardi Gras)

Additional:

N.A.T.O.: #152D44; 21, 45, 68 (Official Color)
United Nations: #5B92E5; 91, 146, 229 (Official Color)

NOTE ON THE HISPANIC SPHERE

What I call Hispanic Sphere covers the Spanish and Portuguese colonial Empires from their beginning (Circa 1418) to the death of Evita Peron in 1952 (or the death of Francisco Franco in 1975, depending on interpretation).
Since the center of the cultural entity has been shifting gradually from Europe to Latin America in the five centuries of its existence, Spain and Portugal will be treated as a part of a larger Latin America, rather than as a part of Europe.
The medieval kingdoms that would eventually become Spain however, are indeed considered as part of Europe, and will be discussed as a separate entry.

Regardless, the term Hispanosphere no longer applies after the 1950s and 60s, as an effect both of decolonization and increased U.S. influence.