Reverse Cold War 2.0

So... I made a map of a Reversed Cold War
Cold War but the U.S. is Communist and Russia is Capitalist.png

Last edited:
The borders need work. Like what's been mentioned, pick up a blank map with borders from wikimedia commons or try to find a borders map here on AH.com, preferably from 1919 or 1945. Also, you need to clarify what is what, put a key or labels on things. I can get that the northmost nations in South America fell to UASR influence, but what's that blob in Brazil? An independent state? An insurgency? Is Algeria free or another insurgency? What year is this? If mainland France fell, I don't think 'Free' France can hold on to their colonial empire for long, not without massive concessions that would allow the locals command positions in the new government. What's up with Finland? Is that another insurgency or a separate state?

Also if Japan is the nation split in half here, why is Korea also split in half? I'd imagine the Russians would have an easier time taking it all if the Americans hadn't been able to take the whole of Japan.

How exactly does Poland wage war on the rest of Europe to the same degree as Nazi Germany with its Netherlands sized economy?

Also if I'm reading the map right, this is a stronger American bloc going against a greatly weakened Russian bloc. Russia has essentially no noteworthy allies besides maybe China and is hemmed in by Pro-American states on virtually all sides and as Russia is poorly situated to be a naval power, especially a weaker Russia lacking Ukraine and its resources which were crucial for industrializing Russia enough to expand operations into the Central Siberian basin, it has few means of expanding out of its containment.

This is America, Western Europe, a mostly unified Germany, a Red British Federation(???) and most of the Middle East going against a cluster of eastern European statelets, half of Poland, a somewhat dismembered China, maybe part of South America and like..a dismembered French Africa which would be sitting on a population that mostly hates it and apparently has lost the connection between its Mediterranean coast and the Saharan interior which means that it's probably in the process of imploding.

Meanwhile America is considerably larger than it was OTL and has no serious nearby threats.

Last edited:
To be fair, this seems to be a more "for funsies" map than a serious alternate history. A speculative world that is the complete mirror image of our own, with a Europe divided along Communist and Capitalist lines, only with a Communist UASR and Capitalist Russian Federation. It's not realistic, but aside from the borders, it's fine for a first map.

But yeah, Poland is a pretty poor Nazi Germany analog; its economy is absolutely tiny, and with a post-1900 PoD, it's practically got zero industrialization, so it can't exactly wage mechanized warfare on the scale that Nazi Germany could. A better adversary would have been France or Britain defeated and humiliated in WW1, to mirror what happened to the Germans IOTL. They have the resources, the industry, and the military skill to be a serious threat on the scale of Nazi Germany. Also, if I were to give the Russians a fair chance, I'd give them a unified Korea and Poland, keep Ukraine in the fold, and push the partition to either France or Germany to give them more of Central Europe. As it stands, Communism is going to win this Cold War as time goes on, maybe even really quickly once the vestigial British and French colonial empires collapse and many of those countries are quickly won over to the Communist cause thanks to constant UASR aid.

The borders need work. Like what's been mentioned, pick up a blank map with borders from wikimedia commons or try to find a borders map here on AH.com, preferably from 1919 or 1945. Also, you need to clarify what is what, put a key or labels on things. I can get that the northmost nations in South America fell to UASR influence, but what's that blob in Brazil? An independent state? An insurgency? Is Algeria free or another insurgency? What year is this? If mainland France fell, I don't think 'Free' France can hold on to their colonial empire for long, not without massive concessions that would allow the locals command positions in the new government. What's up with Finland? Is that another insurgency or a separate state?

Also if Japan is the nation split in half here, why is Korea also split in half? I'd imagine the Russians would have an easier time taking it all if the Americans hadn't been able to take the whole of Japan.

To be fair, this seems to be a more "for funsies" map than a serious alternate history. A speculative world that is the complete mirror image of our own, with a Europe divided along Communist and Capitalist lines, only with a Communist UASR and Capitalist Russian Federation. It's not realistic, but aside from the borders, it's fine for a first map.

But yeah, Poland is a pretty poor Nazi Germany analog; its economy is absolutely tiny, and with a post-1900 PoD, it's practically got zero industrialization, so it can't exactly wage mechanized warfare on the scale that Nazi Germany could. A better adversary would have been France or Britain defeated and humiliated in WW1, to mirror what happened to the Germans IOTL. They have the resources, the industry, and the military skill to be a serious threat on the scale of Nazi Germany. Also, if I were to give the Russians a fair chance, I'd give them a unified Korea and Poland, keep Ukraine in the fold, and push the partition to either France or Germany to give them more of Central Europe. As it stands, Communism is going to win this Cold War as time goes on, maybe even really quickly once the vestigial British and French colonial empires collapse and many of those countries are quickly won over to the Communist cause thanks to constant UASR aid.
It is more for fun

I originally had Japan as the Germany analogue