I made a county map

H42Uzsb.jpg

Commentary? Thoughts? et cetera

county map names of counties southern US.PNG

Had to get creative to get this under 500 MB. Presumably that's why it failed to upload while all the others did. In any case it was fixed so no need to worry now.

I've always wondered, is there any particular reason that states like Iowa or Georgia are divvied up into like 8 million different counties? California has the largest population in the country but has only 58 counties.

I've always wondered, is there any particular reason that states like Iowa or Georgia are divvied up into like 8 million different counties? California has the largest population in the country but has only 58 counties.
My Iowan wife says that it's exact because of the low population density that the state has so many counties: It was easier to govern such a spread-out population with many small counties. For example, our county has around 1200 people. Big counties would have been troublesome because of the long travel distances between communities and farmsteads. Nowadays, the distances between towns in all directions is about a 30 minute car-ride.

My Iowan wife says that it's exact because of the low population density that the state has so many counties: It was easier to govern such a spread-out population with many small counties. For example, our county has around 1200 people. Big counties would have been troublesome because of the long travel distances between communities and farmsteads. Nowadays, the distances between towns in all directions is about a 30 minute car-ride.

Don't want to get too off topic but here are some links that might help.
http://news.wabe.org/post/why-ga-has-second-highest-number-counties-us

Really interesting, and that makes a lot of sense. Thank you!

VA was the trickiest part of this map.

I just don't understand why the feel the need for all those independent cities. They just clog up the map and also make it hard to see any trends because in the US the Republicans are bound to win most areas if you split off their cities.

I just don't understand why the feel the need for all those independent cities. They just clog up the map and also make it hard to see any trends because in the US the Republicans are bound to win most areas if you split off their cities.
VA's independent cities are too numerous to ignore.