I have a series of AH vignettes, which forum would they best go on?

Discussion in 'Help and Rules' started by metalinvader665, Jan 4, 2019.

1. metalinvader665 Well-Known Member

I have an AH setting which diverges from OTL at the Battle of Idistaviso in 16 AD (over 2,000 years ago). Most of what I've written in that setting deals with the events of TTL's 20th century which goes from Cold War-level tech at the start of the century (minus nukes) to by mid-late century technology which wouldn't be out of place in Mobile Suit Gundam (O'Neill cylinders, launch loops, orbital rings, solar system colonisation, and most notably mecha which are about 4-6 meters tall which start out as steampunk--invented for TTL's World War I equivalent--and end up like Code Geass Knightmare Frames as tech advances). Aside from the issue of mecha/"real robots" (I know all the inherent issues of giant robots, and I know I haven't followed absolute realism as to how space warfare would work in a world of Moon/Venus/rest of Solar System colonies and O'Neill cylinders), I know I don't follow absolute realism since I have (some) Australian Aboriginal cultures and (some) American Indian cultures (amongst other cultural groups) going from their OTL forms in 16 AD to much more complex and organised in less than a thousand years, and some other less than plausible developments in terms of world cultural developments.

I love this world I've constructed, and I want to share some vignettes of all the many interesting people, events, cultures, etc. in TTL. Since this (mostly) follows the rules of alternate history, would this best belong in Before 1900? Many entries I want to write discuss pre-industrialisation events after all. Or because there's an inherent unrealistic factor would this belong in the ASB forum, or even in the Writer's Forum? I've said it isn't an ASB TL (there's no magic or technology which violates scientific laws, with possibly the sole exception that mecha end up more convenient than tanks to produce for warfare), but because of certain parts (like the mecha part and also the convergent cultural aspects) I've described it as comparable to a "successful Sealion" TL. Now, you can still make a thread and make arguments for how Sealion could have done very well in After 1900 (and predictably get laughed at), but since I'm explicitly saying my TL has Sealion-level odds (considered ASB, even though Sealion is a different sort of ASB than what ASB often means) to ever have happened, is it necessarily welcome in Before 1900? If a lot of my entries are about TTL's Late Antiquity, the Middle Ages, etc., would it still be moved to ASB just because it would be somewhat obvious that when I write about the fall of the Southern Roman Empire, that in a thousand years their successor country is fielding giant robots in their army and colonising space in the late 20th century?

I just want to make sure I'd be posting this in the right place before I write out anything regarding this. I'd want this to be catalogued correctly after all, and would rather the discussion be on how good/interesting/bad my vignettes are rather than the plausibility.

2. Zagan Donor

Writer's Forum.

Leon Trotsky likes this.
  3. CalBear Your Ursus arctos californicus Moderator Moderator Donor

Agreed.

Leon Trotsky likes this.