I Claudius: No Sejanus

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by Coluber, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Coluber Dirty Degredado

I've seen a few clips from the old BBC series I Claudius, starring Derek Jacobi and several notable British actors, amongst them a Captain Picard with curly hair (the reason why I looked up the clips on Youtube) as Sejanus, a thinner, younger Joshamee Gibbs as Drusus, BRIAN BLESSED as Augustus (but not his beard or his famed Hawkmen, so famed for diving), and Gimli as the guy who has Picard's little girl horribly treated before she dies.

Yes, I know that I, Claudius is innaccurate here and there, but it did make me wonder about the events which Sejanus set in motion, like the death of Drusus.

How would the Roman Empire differ if Sejanus had died an early death and had no chance to influence the political course of Rome?

2. Magnum Well-Known Member

Tiberius and a whole bunch of butterflies die an early death when that big rock in the cave falls upon him ?

3. Mort the Reaper Well-Known Member

The Praetorian Guard may not have become such a powerful institution, since it was Sejanus who turned it into a major political and governmental force as part of his own ambitions.