Hybrid Warship e.g Hms Terror crossed with Hms Fearless

Exactly. If you wanted an armed LPD that can do its own fire support, it would have to be centered on VLS, for range. Which isn't a horrible idea - the San Antonios might still eventually be fitted with TLAMs. But it's not a matter of direct fire - it's just a matter of having a few more missiles as part of your overall fleet, which could be useful, if you already have the silos installed.

Can’t the San Antonio class already launch a shorter range surface to surface missile? Can’t remember what it’s called.

Can’t the San Antonio class already launch a shorter range surface to surface missile? Can’t remember what it’s called.
They can use Rolling Airframe Missile in direct fire, but that's a CIWS/short range AA Missile, it isn't meant for surface to surface for all the seeker can handle it, but even with the latest upgrades that's under 20 kilometers and only an 11.3kg warhead. That's the only missile they carry at the moment, though they have space reserved for the VLS

They can use Rolling Airframe Missile in direct fire, but that's a CIWS/short range AA Missile, it isn't meant for surface to surface for all the seeker can handle it, but even with the latest upgrades that's under 20 kilometers and only an 11.3kg warhead. That's the only missile they carry at the moment, though they have space reserved for the VLS

I could have sworn the new Flight actually have VLS installed.

LEX and SARA were essentially hybrids. Aircraft carriers with a heavy cruiser’s main battery.
As were Kaga and Akagi, to be fair to the USN they did remove the Lexington's 8 inch guns in early 1942 with extra 1.1"" AA guns being installed in place of them on Lexington and 4 twin 5"/38 mounts were installed on Saratoga and this would have been on Lexington as well had she not been lost

Isn’t the entire point of modern amphibious warfare doctrine that you land at locations away from where the enemy has major defenses that would require big gun shore bombardment?

Well, yes and no. The RM and other NATO amphibious forces tend to favour the indirect approach/flanking attack idea. The USMC still hanker for Hey-diddle-diddle-straight-up-the-middle full on shore bombardment, air preparation al-la Okinawa stylee, though they in probably accept that it is a dumb way to go about things unless they really have to.

LEX and SARA were essentially hybrids. Aircraft carriers with a heavy cruiser’s main battery.
Their 8" guns were essentially useless as firing them damaged the flight deck. It was something that seemed like a good idea in theory but just didn't work in the real world. Assault ships with battleship calibre guns would probably fall into the same category.

Interesting points . I suppose you're taking a cheap disposable warship and making it expensive and non disposable .

Could happen as mission creep I suppose so monitor given heli pad for artillery spotting then some one decides to fit square peg into round hole

Or HMS Tiger helicopter cruisers with surplus ships being adapted to see what works or not

Last edited:
Their 8" guns were essentially useless as firing them damaged the flight deck. It was something that seemed like a good idea in theory but just didn't work in the real world. Assault ships with battleship calibre guns would probably fall into the same category.

True enough, I was just pointing out another example of a hybridish warship that actually existed and the concept turned out to not work out so well. As others have pointed out, there is a reason these ideas tend to not go too far.

I guess the Russian aircraft carrier Kuznetsov is another example with its SSM tubes in the flight deck. I wonder if they have every actually been fired?

True enough, I was just pointing out another example of a hybridish warship that actually existed and the concept turned out to not work out so well. As others have pointed out, there is a reason these ideas tend to not go too far.

I guess the Russian aircraft carrier Kuznetsov is another example with its SSM tubes in the flight deck. I wonder if they have every actually been fired?

Break out the brooms and hoses, serious FOD incoming:

http%3A%2F%2Fd254andzyoxz3f.cloudfront.net%2Faxltw7k.jpg

Looks like the missiles mainly help her get round the Montreux Convention . As apparently she is an aircraft carrying cruiser

Which is fairly accurate. The Soviet carriers were pretty poor at projecting power via their air wings. The air power is mainly defence. To cover the ASW helos or to get those missiles into a CVN.