Was it ever possible for the Kingdom of Hungary to de facto disintegrate around the 14th century, that is, in the aftermath of the extinction of the main line of the Arpad dynasty? IOTL, after the death of Andrew III, the throne was contested between multiple pretenders, chiefly the Premyslid Wenceslaus of Bohemia and the Angevin Charles Robert (born in Naples). The latter was victorious, but subsequently had to subdue a number of provincial magnates that grew stronger as royal power in Hungary was in lapse, such as Amadeus Aba and Matthew Csak in modern Ukrainian Transcarpathia and Slovakia respectively. This Charles managed to do.
But how could we make it so that the Kingdom of Hungary effectively disintegrates in a sort of interregnum? I'm imagining a scenario in which the King of Hungary becomes a symbolic office contested by a variety of pretenders (and still very weak when there's only one), while feudal magnates run amok. How could this happen, and what would be the consequences of a "Holy Roman" Hungary on the Late Middle Ages in Central and Eastern Europe?

Perhaps Andrew III has a son? Thus upon death he leaves the throne to the child king, and magnates would still rule their quasi-independent states and ignore boy with the crown.

krieger

Banned
Perhaps Andrew III has a son? Thus upon death he leaves the throne to the child king, and magnates would still rule their quasi-independent states and ignore boy with the crown.
No I think that most likely way to achieve this would be Charles I of Hungary being killed in battle before he took the throne. It'd mean continuing disintegration of country but sooner or later someone (Luxembourgs?) would take advantage of it.

Avoid Charles and maintain rival claimants that can't gain an advantage but do have important sections staying under their control eg Upper Hungary, Croatia, Transylvania, etc.
A peace deal between them could create a "high kingship" that's elective from among them.

Assuming the Ottoman Empire still arises (or at least an empire that could be a significant threat to Hungary's southern border, like a powerful Nemanjic Serbia), how would a weaker and more decentralized Hungary deal with the new problems created by it?