Isaac Beach

Banned
Call me Isaac.

I had thought about calling this 'HowAboutThisForAMapThread' but then I remembered I came up with my username when I was literally 11 and it is very cringe worthy. I mean good lord you'd think I'd have abandoned it by now.
Anywho, this thread is basically a place I can brain vomit all my thoughts and ideas regarding maps -and a few other bits and pieces- and is welcome for all to comment and scrutinise so long as you don't mind being dumped on with a whole heap of gaseous nonsense that arises out of my head. Here I will post WIPs, previews, concepts and generally mouthy rubbish -as well as occasional completed maps- so that I don't clog up the main map thread with them instead.

I do hope you enjoy it.

Isaac Beach

Banned
Aside my current Commie-wank I've made a -as with my Commie-wank- light start on a cover of another of CyberPhoenix's fantastic scenarios. A Place Calling Itself Rome, a repressive and cruel world where personal freedoms are curtailed in the pursuit of total security and more nuclear weapons have been dropped then in a particularly truculent Civilsation match. The world powers are Russia, Italy, China and L'Estado Amarillo (The big yellow blob in South America).

So far I've been enjoying it; I've been wanting to use this shade of yellow for a superpower of some sort for a while now and yellow being the colour of communism -or allocationism as it's known in this world- gave me an excuse to. (Need to look at those borders in Patagonia though, look a bit ugly in retrospect)
I am wondering if I went too far in North America; should there be bigger blobs? Less splinter states? Less wasteland? I'd love to hear any thoughts on the matter. One of the things I love about these scenarios is that they give you so much room to interpret it; CyperPhoenix is by no means inexplicit with his work but he leaves enough to the imagination to make creating these maps a challenge. Hence some of the completely independent things like a Chicagoan kingdom and ironically named Dixie. And those sorts of things will be throughout the map.

Blank with rivers (2).png

I like it when AH.commers create threads for their own artwork, instead of barfing it up onto the Flag Thread or the Map thread. You have my support.

I like it when AH.commers create threads for their own artwork, instead of barfing it up onto the Flag Thread or the Map thread. You have my support.

When I start putting maps out at any rate, I'll take you up on that.

(I won't if I actually want attention.)

Isaac Beach

Banned

Huzzah. a vote of confidence. I tend to agree. I think maybe one or two WIPs of an indepth map is acceptable before it gets a bit much for the regular map thread.

When I start putting maps out at any rate, I'll take you up on that.

(I won't if I actually want attention.)

Is that negativity? In my GOOD CHRISTIAN FORUM? :p

CannedTech

Banned
Cor, I don't mind you putting WIPs in the main thread myself, but I don't mind this either. I'll certainly have my eye on this.

Isaac Beach

Banned
More progress, I'm wondering if I overstated the presence of Italy in North Africa; I may reel it back, as well as rearrange east Africa. Also debating what to do with Scandinavia.

A Place Calling Itself Rome.png

Isaac Beach

Banned
More progress; I changed Italy's North African territories a bit, and messed around with southern Africa some. I might actually fix the Manchurian border; need to look up when that Russo-Qing War was anyway. Also thinkin' about fixing northern India, seems a bit messy.

A Place Calling Itself Rome.png

Isaac Beach

Banned
So after seeing B_Munro's cover of the map I've been working on in previous posts I was rather put off. Not in a negative, 'alas I'm such a shitty cartographer', way. But nevertheless, irked enough that I've lost interest in finishing it up just for the time being. It will probably catch my eye again in a couple weeks and I'll blitz it done. But until then I've decided to do a different map. Hence, this map:

2015 (2).png

Inspired in part by Matteo, in part by a desire to redo this map, this WIP takes place about 110 or so years in the future, give or take. As you can see, there are already some major changes; noticeably I've actually tried my hand at chipping away a few coastlines with a raised sea level of which I'm quite proud, desertification has set in, Europe is a very different place and -le gasp- America has a monarchy!?
Don't worry, it's not some despotic hellhole where gays are executed and Vermont a police state. The Emperor -seated in the capital of Chicago- is actually of a dusky complexion and a fairly liberal fellow at that. Yes while originally suffering from division and secessionism in the 21st century and going through a painful political transition in the early 22nd America has reasserted itself as an important global presence if not what they used to be. They're patriotic, opulent and traditional -capes are seeing a comeback- and after the destruction wrought across many cities in the 2nd Civil War neoclassical architecture has come to dominate the nation's major cities.
China, comparatively, has become what many would call a 'pragmatic' nation. They finally abandoned pretending to be communists in the 2050s and established a new political philosophy combining elements of both capitalism and communism known as Injunctivism(Up for debate over the name :coldsweat:). It basically advocates for bureaucratic distributist model that means no single body of government has too much power; the judiciary is very powerful and companies while not necessarily government owned are all party to large, corporate syndicate like structures. They too saw a bit of a renaissance in Chinese religion -especially Confucianism-, culture and architecture -there are some neat pavilion skyscrapers dotting the coast- and are thus much as America would come across to someone in 2016 as oddly anachronistic.
India and Africa at the moment are rising stars. India went through a tough patch but is as of 2126 about on the same level as China. However in an undeniably multipolar world and with China still a healthy superpower they are not relying on the collapse of the current hyperpower to launch themselves onto the world stage. Thus, they have relied heavily on their alliances with African nations such as Nigeria and Angola to rise.

More later on.

Last edited:

Skallagrim

Banned
The idea of an imperial America that isn't actually repressive, nor racist, but does have capes and lots of neoclassical architecture (and presumably and fancy uniforms, and anarchonistic forms of decorum etc.) sounds truly fascinating. The bit about being "patriotic, opulent and traditional" can be taken in two ways, of course. Is it a very nationalistic and conservative society with vast class differences and is just the emperor a liberal fellow? Or is everyone mostly liberal, benignly patriotic (meaning fondly proud of their homeland in a non-xenophobic way), and just attached to their cherished traditions, formal clothing and tasteful art?

If the latter, it sound like everything I like.

On a more general note: the differences with the original map are striking! The Benelux, formerly the premier space-explorer society, no longer even exists. Does that butterfly the charmingly Heinlein-esque asteroid mining outposts settled by stereotypical rugged libertarian-ish types, too? Would be sad to see them go; a future world with callbacks to earlier eras, such as the anarchronistic imperial America, or the rebirth of the wild frontier in space, always manage to inspire me.

Oh, and 'Injunctivism' sounds just fine. No need to change that at all!

The idea of an imperial America that isn't actually repressive, nor racist, but does have capes and lots of neoclassical architecture (and presumably and fancy uniforms, and anarchonistic forms of decorum etc.) sounds truly fascinating. The bit about being "patriotic, opulent and traditional" can be taken in two ways, of course. Is it a very nationalistic and conservative society with vast class differences and is just the emperor a liberal fellow? Or is everyone mostly liberal, benignly patriotic (meaning fondly proud of their homeland in a non-xenophobic way), and just attached to their cherished traditions, formal clothing and tasteful art?

Yeah, just get rid of the whole "not a democracy" thing, and that's second one's my happy place to a tee.

Skallagrim

Banned
Yeah, just get rid of the whole "not a democracy" thing, and that's second one's my happy place to a tee.

I kind of assumed that is is a democracy; just not a republic. I mean, Great Britain, Belgium, the Netherlands, Spain... all monarchies, and all democracies.

(Maybe I'm being far too optimistic. ;))

Isaac Beach

Banned

On a more general note: the differences with the original map are striking! The Benelux, formerly the premier space-explorer society, no longer even exists. Does that butterfly the charmingly Heinlein-esque asteroid mining outposts settled by stereotypical rugged libertarian-ish types, too? Would be sad to see them go; a future world with callbacks to earlier eras, such as the anarchronistic imperial America, or the rebirth of the wild frontier in space, always manage to inspire me.

Oh, and 'Injunctivism' sounds just fine. No need to change that at all!

It was born out of a discussion with my partner as to how much we mutually enjoy Washington DC, antebellum plantation architecture -minus the slavery bit of course- and the rich traditions of America west of the Mississippi. As opposed to say, California or modern Florida, which comes across as artificial and tacky. So I thought, 'what would spur a revival of this style of living?' and I figured an American form of monarchism would be absolutely beautiful.
They are very patriotic, mostly in a benign way though there's a small militaristic bent in some areas of scoeity. For instance the Roman salute has seen a revival at universities, among the military and in the Midwest, (better known as the Nazi salute) but given most people are 217 years removed from the Second World War it doesn't have such uncomfortable connotations anymore. It is a largely liberal place however; there's social welfare, people's sexuality is not really a considered factor anymore in a positive or negative way, and while ethnic identity is still a thing ethnic nationalism has been dead for a long time given one out of three people is ethnically mixed. But they are fond of their pomp and formality, snapbacks and that sort are thankfully extinct in lieu of pressed suits, coats and dresses while art is essentially of a Roman revival though 3D sensory art is very big. So essentially as you describe in the latter case.

Well yes, that's one of the major things I took from Matteo. And well spotted, Heinlein was the main inspiration for those asteroid outposts. They still exist but nowadays are an eclectic assortment of Dutch-many having moved to space after their homeland sank beneath the waves-, Chileans and Argentinians, Serbs, Cossack revivalists, North African Arabs of various sorts, South Africans-especially Boers and Coloureds-, Kyrgyz and Tajiks, Rohingya and Sarawakians, all with a thin veneer of Han Chinese over the top. It's a wild place as a result.

It is a democracy, but not one we'd recognise. Each inalienable role of government -secretaries and cabinet-level officials as well as the President- are elected in much the same way as the President IOTL. As in, directly by the people. This means that a cabinet could theoretically have people from completely separate parties -though four or five parties tend to dominate the process in practice- and the President's role in this is to coordinate and negotiate between the various secretaries and officials, who all have broad powers to draft legislation. It still has to pass through the two houses of Congress which are elected as normal and be approved by the Emperor. The Emperor themselves have powers roughly equivalent to the OTL President, just for life or until they get impeached.
In the case of impeachment, the Congress can either elect the Emperor's son or daughter to the American throne or start a new 'election'. Making 'political dynasties' very much a thing. However, the current fellow is very pleasant and much beloved and his children even more so. So his family will probably continue in their role for the next couple of generations. It's all very confusing.

Isaac Beach

Banned
Chicagoan, "dusky", liberal... Is he, by any chance, descended from President Obama?

If I'm perfectly honest with you, probably not. :coldsweat: I in all my blind creativity hadn't noticed the connection at all. Isaiah I is a mixed race -Afro-German, to be exact- fellow descended from a working class family native to Chicago that had been an economist before he joined the revolutionary struggle during the Second Civil War to overthrow the security regime that had existed for the past forty years. He rose to be a commander and leader and when the regime was toppled the transitional government -aided by Indian, Brazilian and Nigerian actors- elected him as Emperor.
Being descended from a black, Chicagoan working class family he obviously has some fairly liberal ideals; teamed with good, familial Christian values and ecologically savvy policies he was not just a favourite in the Rust Belt and North-East but in the American South as well. (Where Christian environmentalism has become a major part of the culture) He's not so popular in the Midwest, which is largely seen as the most 'conservative' and atheistic part of America these days, or the far West. (largely due to putting down their Cascadian secessionist revolt in the midst of the Second Civil War)

Isaac Beach

Banned
More progress. A few points of interest.

The New California Republic is a majority 'creole' state with a predominant ethnic mix of White Americans, Hispanic and various brands of East Asian. They're very sleek, modern and technocratic but have politics akin to modern Italy and a complex about distinguishing themselves from America. To their east is the Kingdom of Deseret, a staunch American ally that was rewarded for it's loyalty to the revolution during the Second Civil War with it's independence à la San Marino. The state religion is Mormonism but they possess large and active minorities of Sunni Muslims, Hispanics wishing to escape the din of California and English settlers.
South America is largely a Brazilian playground, Brazil having taken the senior role in their alliance with America. They are still a vibrant, culturally intermixed nation but much as America have readopted many features of their Imperial era and Brasilia is pockmarked with grand Romanticist and Neoclassical megastructures. They're also aggressively conservationist, going so far as to occupy Peru's Loreto Region in order to ensure the restoration of the Amazon. They are making moves to do this in the Congo as well. The other big power is the Republic of Colombia which has adopted many of the pretensions of the American system of government and are more or less a literal oligarchy, much to the chagrin of their democratic neighbours.

Europe is divided into two blocs; the Carolingian Republic and the Poland-lead Intermarium.
Throughout all the fluctuations of the socio-political landscape France and Germany grew closer and closer. Their languages share many many loanwords and their cultures are near inseparable; certain areas as Avignon and Bavaria are still annoyingly distinct but the bulk of both countries largely became one in the same over a period of years, something that scholars believe was kick started by their joint occupation of the flooding Low Countries. Luxembourg is their capital. (As an aside, the UK of England and Wales is a bit of a satellite at this point)
Initially an alliance of conservative, somewhat reactionary countries that were frightened of Russia and Muslims the Intermarium developed into an alternative EU focused on the old Visegrad group and eventually grew to encompass most of Eastern and Balkanic Europe. It is very religious and militarised and oddly closer than the EU ever was; despite this it has a strong Slavo-Vedic tradition due to the presence of so many Indians -a side effect of their alliance with India- and possesses the same merito-syndicalist superstructures as that country and funnily enough is pretty pro Muslim nowadays.

Africa is roughly divided down the middle. The west, lead by Nigeria, is a pro-Brazilian, superficially pro-Indian confederation of nations opposed to Chinese Injunctivist domination, which tends to revolve around Beijing as an economic, quasi-Mandate of Heaven equivalent. Nigeria, after sorting it's corruption and devolving some powers to local legislatures in the north and east, easily became the most powerful nation in Africa. Even against a resurgent Ethiopia, a federalised East Africa and an authoritative Egypt Nigeria has managed to maintain their place among the stars and is widely considered a superpower with some 280 million inhabitants. Having modernised, adapted and synthesised many Yoruba and Hausa traditions fashion is rich with encrusted jewelry and colourful fabrics and native Kings and Sultans are respected the world over.
Meanwhile, East Africa is a collection of Injunctivist regimes all loyal to Beijing and some more powerful than others. The two biggest powers are Ethiopia -enjoying a stint of Rastafarian revivalism- and East Africa -having developed a rich naval tradition and being the primary voice for further integration among the African Union even where it does not benefit Beijing-.

Given how big Asia is, I'll do their bits and pieces in a later update.

2015 (2) - Copy.png

Last edited:

Isaac Beach

Banned
Final update before I finish it I think. This update will detail Central America, Asia and Oceania.

2015 (2) - Copy.png

One of the areas that did not benefit from Climate Change was Central America. Beset by increasing humidity with subsequent crop failures and a rise in plaguing mosquitoes, political instability reached breaking point in the mid 2050s and set off the collapse of states the beginning of new migrations. This second Volkswanderung -the scholarly consensus of which includes mass migrations from the Middle East to Europe and Central Africa and from South Asia north- was born primarily by Mexico but also Colombia, the Venezuelan states and the then United States. These migrations began to peter out towards the beginning of the 22nd century but left a shambolic mess of drug-addled dictatorships and anarchy where Central America used to be. A joint operation agreed upon and largely supplied by Brazil, China and Canada began in 2110 and as of 2126 remains a joint-occupation after several attempts at propping up varying republics and regimes failed. Beijing, Ottawa and Brasilia are hoping they can withdraw by 2130 but are currently in disagreement as to the forms the new, directly appointed governments should take.

With American influence being removed in a new period of isolationism in the late 2010s the Middle East was left to Russian, Iranian and later Chinese devices. Syria despite all of Russia's attempts to prop up the local regime did not last and Psykes-Picot became a thing of the past when Iraq too fell apart. Attempted Israeli expansion into Lebanon -admittedly egged on by an extremist group occupying the northern strip of the Israeli-Lebanese border- prompted an invasion by the newly minted Mesopotamia and Saudi Arabia -a strange turn of events given the two's prior antagonisms- and would eventually draw in Turkey and Jordan on the Israeli side. Iran, for their part were satisfied to sit this conflict out due to already having effective suzerainty over Iraq and Kurdistan at this point though they would later support a concurrent if separate conflict against Turkey to expand their satellite's territory.

This by and large lead to the end of Israel, though a fairly extreme Jewish state would continue to hold Jerusalem and a strip of coastline well until the present. It also lead to a reduction in Jordanian territory. Despite this victory, Saudi Arabia at least would not last as increasing desertification and a failing oil prices spelt the end of their economic productivity. They eventually collapsed, the parts still livable being absorbed by their neighbours and the Holy Cities reviving the Hashemite throne and unifying with Jordan. Of course by this point Chinese influence in the Middle East was truly established and Mesopotamia and Jordan-Hejaz became Chinese satellites.

China's attempts to subdue India via proxy were largely foiled by accident. Afghanistan's collapse was precipitated by a brief revival in Islamic extremism, ethnic strife and a failure to adapt to radical shifts in climate. This violence rocked Pakistan and fueled nationalistic reactionary policies that only ended up increasing issues. A renewed conflict in Kashmir against India eventually developed into an all-out war that despite heavy assistance from China -which did succeed in separating India from Kashmir- lead to a Pakistani collapse and occupation of Punjab and Sindh. Despite being closer to Pakistan than India, with their demise Iran turned to India over time and formed a strong alliance that permeates to this day.

Kazakhstan and Karakalpakstan benefited greatly from climate change; a re-flooding of the Aral Sea and an expansion of the Caspian lead to a revitalization of fisheries in both countries, submerged harmful salt-laden soil thus preventing it from being blown over fertile land, and has revitalised and increased the size of pastureland in both countries. Aside this, increased Chinese economic activity and eventually new markets emerging both from the north and west upon the collapse of Russia has lead to the two -and much of Central Asia- becoming an economic powerhouse and the centre of the new Silk Road network that interconnects the Middle East with North-Eastern Europe and East Asia. By region, Central Asia is the richest location on Earth.
Alongside these two, though with different political realities, Siberia has awoken as a broad breadbasket supplying much of Asia and Africa and dominating the cattle market. This has drawn ranchers and plantation workers from across the world, and the renewed Siberian identity is complemented by large minorities of Texans, Spaniards, Christian Chadians, Somalis, refugee Aimaqs, Uzbeks and Tibetans.

India would be rather familiar to anyone from OTL, though with megalopoli spreading across the nation like splayed entrails housing no less than 2 billion people and connected by built up and hyper-efficient railways. New Delhi, with a greater metropolitan population of 42 million, is the most populous city in the world. It absorbed Bangladesh when it collapsed due by and large to flooding, the positive side effect being that -along with Punjab and Sindh- with so many more Muslims under the government's care Hindu nationalism is very much a fringe movement. Every large religion is represented in some way in India, but vibrant Hinduism remains the most visible and and praised. Building up a web of allies such as the Intermarium, several south-Arabian nations -going so far as to annex Aden-, Japan, Thailand and Mexico, Hinduism is proliferating throughout much of the world if in a largely syncretic fashion.

Japan bombed out at 80 million people after several decades of population decline and only with relatively enormous increases in immigration and several iterations of natalist governments has the nation managed a net increase of their population. As a side effect, the younger generations are far less xenophobic and relations between Tokyo and Beijing have been normalised. The Hokkaido government is the result of a rebellion by primarily the Ainu but also other ethnic minorities that were allowed into the wintry province by not in the more metropolitan south. They established an Injunctivist government and have long been an ally of China.
Korea was one of the sadder notes of the 21st century. With American protection removed by 2025 the North launched a barrage of sub-atomic weapons and an invasion; of course this was rebuffed and rolled over by an enraged South, who were in turn invaded and occupied by China -who in the process slaughtered the Kim family, who had outlived their purpose- and established a pro-Chinese and unified government that was essentially an extension of Beijing itself. This was followed by about 50 years of occupation and a further 20 of normalisation as the Injuctivist philosophy was proliferated and now Korea is a staunchly pro-Beijing nation that has largely forgotten the terrible decades under Chinese occupation despite it being relatively recent. (And helped in no small part by Chinese censors and propaganda)

The United Commonwealth of Australia and Singapore ranks highly on the list of 'unexpected geopolitical developments'. Increasingly close relations between Indonesia and Malaya and Australia and Singapore gave birth to two unions, one a bit less believable than the other. Nevertheless with a healthy economic relationship, similar priorities in an ocean of increasing Chinese influence and preexisting military doctrines the integration of Australia and Singapore was rather simple. Australia in and of itself is becoming an increasingly important power even as it under Chinese influence due to their enormous energy industry, rice farming on the coast of Cape York and large-scale geoengineering projects to unlock the full potential of the Artesian Basin. The latter development has greened up the interior substantially and lead to a population boom of some 63 million. The City of Diamantina, located at the nexus between three small seas, has some 2 million people alone.

Final update will have basically everything I've written plus some stuff for Canada, Russia, more of Africa and the Space Elevators plus all that good stuff about culture and technology.

Isaac Beach

Banned
And as odd as it sounds, here's the name:

Title Card.png

More a note for myself when I finish writing up the whole wall o' text; the title comes from Victor Hugo's Les Misérables. The full quote is “What Is Love? I have met in the streets a very poor young man who was in love. His hat was old, his coat worn, the water passed through his shoes and the stars through his soul”. I felt it was appropriate because the world is constantly revolutionising, and I thought the contrast between stark poverty and something so optimistic as love was a good metaphor for the socio-political fluctuations of civilisation as a whole, not to mention the future setting given stars are mentioned. But maybe I'm over thinking it. :coldsweat: