How would you adapt your favorite timelines?

I'm not sure what my favorite timeline is, but I do think Anno Dracula would work pretty well as a television series. I wouldn't make it a 1-for-1 adaptation; I'd probably want the characters and setting of the first novel to be the primary setting for the whole series, mostly because the later installments contain a lot of copyrighted characters. You could invent new narratives within the Victorian-era setting, and expand on some of the references in the novel.
For example, we know that Sherlock Holmes is in a concentration camp, so that could be a whole subplot spanning multiple episodes: how does the world's greatest detective escape such a horrifying place?
You could also do The Bloody Red Baron as the final season.

Crosstime Traffic by Turtledove would make for an awesome TV/ streaming series. If Disney executives had more of a clue, they would pick it up. You would get at least a dozen episodes just adapting what Turtledove wrote and got published, and the set up is perfect for writers to crank out additional episodes.
A Crosstime Traffic series would be like Back to the Future meets Sliders in terms of characters and premise.

Last edited:
For a visual adaptation @Oracle of Sobek 𓆋 's The Realm of Millions of Years, I think the right part to focus on is Tutankhaten's campaign in Asia. That's mainly for mainstream accessibility: our protagonist has a name everyone already knows, and an epic military confrontation is an easier conflict to convey than the multi-step reformation of a pretty alien society into an equally unfamiliar one.

Crosstime Traffic by Turtledove would make for an awesome TV/ streaming series. If Disney executives had more of a clue, they would pick it up. You would get at least a dozen episodes just adapting what Turtledove wrote and got published, and the set up is perfect for writers to crank out additional episodes.

You’re not wrong: I’d love to see an anthology series based on this premise, but I would happily settle for a show that focuses on CROSSTIME troubleshooters dealing with various problems throughout the diverse timelines (bonus points of the production team casually seed background references to Doctor Turtledove’s other published timelines, whether they appear or not).

You know, given how long The Dean has been at the Alternate History game (and how many stories he’s put out, in some diversity of tone & theme) you could get a splendid miniseries out of adaptions of his best works (or derivatives thereof).

Someone posted on this site a timeline exploring how the weeks after a successful assassin by Hitler would go. Essentially rival Nazi factions would eliminate both the conspirators, and each other, leaving a more pragmatic, slightly less evil Nazi faction in power. He pretty much produced a plot for an exciting, darkly comic movie.

Ooh, a Nazi DEATH OF STALIN might be intriguing - MURDER AT THE TOP? MURDER AT THE REICHSTAG? GOODNIGHT ADOLF?

Not from this website, but I think World War Z (the book) could be either its own series with each chapter being one of the book (A chapter on Yonkers, the South African Plan, Israel, China would be over several episodes) and it could be divided into three seasons: The begining, the Great Panic and the reconquest of our world from the Z's. The alternative would be a movie composed of segments of the book of 20 or so minutes, actually someone made a storyboard of the fall of Kyiv: http://spencerepps.blogspot.com/2011/05/world-war-z-storyboards-ukraine-chapter.html

When I read World War Z, I thought about how to adapt the book into a movie, and concluded it was not possible. The episodic nature of the book, and the fact that the main characters never encountered each other, meant that it could only be done as a TV series. I thought the movie screenwriters came up with a good way to solve the problem, by setting the movie in the same world as the book, but using invented characters and a story that don't appear in the book.

It might be interesting to see A DIFFERENT FLESH’s version of the American Revolution (which apparently took place in the 1730s/1740s) as a battle between the Stuart dynasty and those opposed to the ‘Divine Right of Kings’.

That’s right kids, I’m talking JACOBITES Vs THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION!