How would Oda Nobunaga handle the Imjin War

What if, HYPOTHETICALLY, Oda Nobunaga didn’t get assassinated by Mitsuhide, or found out beforehand and escaped death?

Let’s say he manages to unite all of Japan.

Let’s say, Hideyoshi or/and a group of Generals convince Nobunaga to invade the Far East.

How would Oda Nobunaga handle the Imjin War?

Would he build up his forces and his navy?
Would he be a better commander than Hideyoshi in that war?
Would he be able to defeat the Korean Navy (Meaning Yi Sun Sin)?
Would he be able to conquer Korea, than the Far East?

I'm not fully sure whether there would be an Imjin War at all. It's commonly stated that Hideyoshi was following Nobunaga's dream by attempting to conquer China (by way of Korea), but whether Nobunaga himself would have launched such a foolhardy campaign or whether Hideyoshi was just making stuff up isn't really known.

If Nobunaga manages to achieve unification at around the same time Hideyoshi did and if he chooses to invade Korea just as Hideyoshi did, I don't really think it would have gone much better. Ironically there's a good chance that Nobunaga would appoint Hideyoshi himself to actually go to Korea and lead the war effort. This might help a bit (Hideyoshi was a very clever tactician) but I don't think it changes the outcome of the war. Japan could possibly beat Korea alone, but Korea and China, even an aging Ming Dynasty, isn't likely.

Last edited: